From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: OT Does sounding it out really work?
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 15:18:16 -0400
 by: micky - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 19:18 UTC

OT but at least it's about home life

Didn't we recently discuss here phonetics and whole word etc? Learning
to read. Does sounding it out really work?

I forgot this story.

We used to live across the street from a golf course, and my mother
would find 30 or 40 golfballs a year in our yard. Every few years she
would take 100 or more to a golf driving range and sell them.

And they had different brand names and the one that got me was
Tit-Leist.

A strange name, I though. Never heard it mentioned in commercials etc.

Took years to realize it was Title-ist.

Re: OT Does sounding it out really work?

<8cf62a92-e05e-4e1b-88aa-3d27b951961bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=51082&group=alt.home.repair#51082

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 13:18:59 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: OT Does sounding it out really work?
From: deanh6...@gmail.com (Dean Hoffman)
 by: Dean Hoffman - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 20:18 UTC

On Saturday, October 14, 2023 at 2:18:24 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:
> OT but at least it's about home life
>
> Didn't we recently discuss here phonetics and whole word etc? Learning
> to read. Does sounding it out really work?
>
> I forgot this story.
>
> We used to live across the street from a golf course, and my mother
> would find 30 or 40 golfballs a year in our yard. Every few years she
> would take 100 or more to a golf driving range and sell them.
>
> And they had different brand names and the one that got me was
> Tit-Leist.
>
> A strange name, I though. Never heard it mentioned in commercials etc.
>
> Took years to realize it was Title-ist.

It apparently works better than the alternatives that have been tried. We grew up during the 60s more or less which makes a big difference. My 3rd and 6th grade teacher was the same grouchy old lady. There was no doubt about who was in charge of HER classroom. It was a public school.
English is a mess to learn. There, their, and they're all sound the same.

Re: OT Does sounding it out really work?

<kp0et6FslmhU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=51094&group=alt.home.repair#51094

From: bow...@montana.com (rbowman)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: 14 Oct 2023 21:18:31 GMT
 by: rbowman - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 21:18 UTC

On Sat, 14 Oct 2023 13:18:59 -0700 (PDT), Dean Hoffman wrote:

> It apparently works better than the alternatives that have been
> tried. We grew up during the 60s more or less which makes a big
> difference. My 3rd and 6th grade teacher was the same grouchy old
> lady. There was no doubt about who was in charge of HER
> classroom. It was a public school.
> English is a mess to learn. There, their, and they're all sound the
> same.

I've done some work with Soundex. It originated with the Census department
as a way to compare surnames with various spellings and has been tweaked
over the years. The algorithm is relatively simple and encodes a word into
4 characters like T217.

The use case is to aid a dispatcher who is trying to enter a s[poken
address. Sometimes it helps but it can also return an incomprehensible
set of suggestions if you don't understand how it works.

Hey word spotting is another problem area. Saying 'alexa' wakes the device
up and after the device is triggered the rest of the speech processing is
done in the cloud. 'alexa' doesn't have a lot, if any, homophones. You
certainly wouldn't want to use 'there' as a keyword.

Re: lowbrowwoman, the Endlessly Driveling Senile Gossip

<D2EWM.86014$2fS.66108@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=51098&group=alt.home.repair#51098

From: trollt...@valid.invalid (Peeler)
Subject: Re: lowbrowwoman, the Endlessly Driveling Senile Gossip
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 23:49:31 +0200
 by: Peeler - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 21:49 UTC

On 14 Oct 2023 21:18:31 GMT, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

> I've done some work with Soundex.

Fantastic! And now shut it, you pathological bigmouth!

--
More of the resident senile bigmouth's idiotic "cool" blather:
"For reasons I can't recall I painted a spare bedroom in purple. It may

interests / alt.home.repair / Re: lowbrowwoman, the Endlessly Driveling Senile Gossip