The first Rotarian was the first man to call John the Baptist "Jack." -- H. L. Mencken

interests / alt.home.repair / Re: Emergency alert to be tested on US cellphones, TV and radio on Wednesday

SubjectAuthor
* Emergency alert to be tested on US cellphones, TV and radio onEd P
`- Emergency alert to be tested on US cellphones, TV and radio on Wednesdaymicky

1
Re: Emergency alert to be tested on US cellphones, TV and radio on Wednesday

<32_TM.16119$xTV9.15341@fx39.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=50626&group=alt.home.repair#50626

Subject: Re: Emergency alert to be tested on US cellphones, TV and radio on
Wednesday
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed P)
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2023 16:24:31 -0400
 by: Ed P - Fri, 6 Oct 2023 20:24 UTC

On 10/6/2023 1:48 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> [...]
>> <HapilyRetired@fakeaddress.com> wrote:

>>> Kids these days don't know the origin of the term "dial tone" because
>>> they've never heard of or seen a telephone with a dial.  We oldsters
>>> also remember phones that didn't have a dial.  They had a crank that you
>>> turned to alert the operator in the local office that you needed them to
>>> make a connection for you.  When you wanted to speak to someone out of
>>> town, you had to ask the local operator to connect you to a long
>>> distance operator.  Sometimes the wires were so congested that you had
>>> to get in a queue and was given an appointment time when your long
>>> distance operator was likely to be available.  We've come a long way
>>> since then!
>>
>> In 1945 my mother married and moved to Western Pa. She would pick up the
>> phone and the operator would say, Number pleeuz.  and she would say
>> Oliver 4-1234 or something.  And after a few days the operator said,
>> "You don't have to say Oliver 4, Ma'am. They're all Oliver 4."
>>
>> If the line was busy, the operator would say, "The line is buzzzzzy".
>> That's the origin of the sound of the busy signal.  :-)
>>
>> One day when I was at school the phone company came and put dials on the
>> phone.   They took the 2" square plate off the top of the wall phone in
>> the kitchen and wired in a dial that screwed to the top where the plate
>> had been.  In my parents' bedroom they replaced the phone entirely.
>
> I must be younger. I don't remember phones without a dial. At least not
> at home. But we had to use an operator to call longer distance or
> certain cities.
>
> Making an international phone call could take an hour or two to prepare,
> involving an (international) operator. Then one day it could be done
> automatically, but we had to wait for a second dial tone.
>

>> Based on movies, it's clear they had dial phones in NYC maybe a decade
>> before we got them.
>>
>> Oh yeah, when I was in the first grade, my parents were at friends on a
>> Saturday night in December.  I was almost 6 and my brother was 12.   We
>> had a baby sitter but I thought my brother was picking on me. (Well, he
>> was.) So I looked my parents' friends' number up in the phone book and
>> called my mother to complain. And they were so amazed that I could use
>> the phone book.  I thought their amazement was strange or silly.  After
>> all, in school they had started teaching me to read in September. More
>> than 3 months ago. What was the point of teaching me to read if they
>> didn't think I would do it?
>
> :-)
>
>> We had to read outloud when the teacher called on us so I know that
>> every kid in my class could read by the end of December.
>
> Oh, my mother knew very well when I could read. She was a teacher,
> specialized in 5-6 year olds. I'm sure she tracked my advances or was
> directly involved on it.
>
> At some point they taught me to use the phone and made me memorize the

Phones were property of Ma Bell too. The one at my grandmother's house
weighed about 5 pounds and had a short cord to a big box on the wall.
Had to be 20 years old, one of the firsts. When we moved in with her
1963?), my mother asked for a new phone, but, since it still worked, no
replacement. Coincidentally, a week later the phone broke.

Re: Emergency alert to be tested on US cellphones, TV and radio on Wednesday

<cq41iiptvvv2ueovkclr9r9d67nh5s9ub0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=50643&group=alt.home.repair#50643

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: Re: Emergency alert to be tested on US cellphones, TV and radio on Wednesday
References: <ufi35b$19tn$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com> <ufi3t4$3p4o1$1@dont-email.me> <ko58f1F1deaU4@mid.individual.net> <ufkc1h$erdc$1@dont-email.me> <t50shitcujdiq542od7b31ek20jc31bbtd@4ax.com> <ufl8fl$o90c$5@dont-email.me> <N0CTM.436$w4ec.177@fx14.iad> <ge9uhitcbajtshr2okped83lafosk3i7u8@4ax.com> <ufnlaa$16orm$2@dont-email.me> <vqivhid14c7o1o4r8nvbfgb5rj3t2h77bi@4ax.com> <koavjuFufibU3@mid.individual.net> <32_TM.16119$xTV9.15341@fx39.iad>
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2023 19:11:56 -0400
 by: micky - Fri, 6 Oct 2023 23:11 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 6 Oct 2023 16:24:31 -0400, Ed P
<esp@snet.xxx> wrote:

>On 10/6/2023 1:48 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>> On 2023-10-06 11:10, micky wrote:

>>> In 1945 my mother married and moved to Western Pa. She would pick up the
>>> phone and the operator would say, Number pleeuz.  and she would say
>>> Oliver 4-1234 or something.  And after a few days the operator said,
>>> "You don't have to say Oliver 4, Ma'am. They're all Oliver 4."
>>>
>>> If the line was busy, the operator would say, "The line is buzzzzzy".
>>> That's the origin of the sound of the busy signal.  :-)
>>>
>>> One day when I was at school the phone company came and put dials on the
>>> phone.   They took the 2" square plate off the top of the wall phone in
>>> the kitchen and wired in a dial that screwed to the top where the plate
>>> had been.  In my parents' bedroom they replaced the phone entirely.
>>
>> I must be younger. I don't remember phones without a dial. At least not
>> at home. But we had to use an operator to call longer distance or
>> certain cities.
>>
>> Making an international phone call could take an hour or two to prepare,
>> involving an (international) operator. Then one day it could be done
>> automatically, but we had to wait for a second dial tone.
>>

>>> Based on movies, it's clear they had dial phones in NYC maybe a decade
>>> before we got them.
>>>
>>> Oh yeah, when I was in the first grade, my parents were at friends on a
>>> Saturday night in December.  I was almost 6 and my brother was 12.   We
>>> had a baby sitter but I thought my brother was picking on me. (Well, he
>>> was.) So I looked my parents' friends' number up in the phone book and
>>> called my mother to complain. And they were so amazed that I could use
>>> the phone book.  I thought their amazement was strange or silly.  After
>>> all, in school they had started teaching me to read in September. More
>>> than 3 months ago. What was the point of teaching me to read if they
>>> didn't think I would do it?
>>
>> :-)
>>
>>> We had to read outloud when the teacher called on us so I know that
>>> every kid in my class could read by the end of December.
>>
>> Oh, my mother knew very well when I could read. She was a teacher,
>> specialized in 5-6 year olds. I'm sure she tracked my advances or was
>> directly involved on it.

They never asked afaicr what happened in school today. They just
assumed I'd learn what I was supposed to. I don't know if they thought
I'd learned to read or not but even if they did, it didn't occur to them
I would put it to use. I knew what the phone book was. I'd probably
seen my mother use it but if not, just look inside, it has a bunch of
names, addreses, and numbers, and it says telephone company on the
outside, and it's next to the phone. Isn't it obvious!

>> At some point they taught me to use the phone and made me memorize the
>> house number.
>>
>Phones were property of Ma Bell too. The one at my grandmother's house
>weighed about 5 pounds and had a short cord to a big box on the wall.
>Had to be 20 years old, one of the firsts. When we moved in with her
>1963?), my mother asked for a new phone, but, since it still worked, no
>replacement. Coincidentally, a week later the phone broke.

Are you sure your mother didn't arrange that?

interests / alt.home.repair / Re: Emergency alert to be tested on US cellphones, TV and radio on Wednesday