Don't take life seriously, you'll never get out alive.

interests / alt.home.repair / Re: Emergency alert to be tested on US cellphones, TV and radio on Wednesday

SubjectAuthor
* Emergency alert to be tested on US cellphones, TV and radio onEd P
`* Emergency alert to be tested on US cellphones, TV and radio on Wednesdayhubops
 +* Emergency alert to be tested on US cellphones, TV and radio onCindy Hamilton
 |+- Emergency alert to be tested on US cellphones, TV and radio onEd P
 |`* Emergency alert to be tested on US cellphones, TV and radio on Wednesdaymicky
 | `* Emergency alert to be tested on US cellphones, TV and radio onRetirednoguilt
 |  `* Emergency alert to be tested on US cellphones, TV and radio on Wednesdaymicky
 |   `* Emergency alert to be tested on US cellphones, TV and radio onRetirednoguilt
 |    `* Emergency alert to be tested on US cellphones, TV and radio on Wednesdaymicky
 |     +- Emergency alert to be tested on US cellphones, TV and radio onSam E
 |     `- Emergency alert to be tested on US cellphones, TV and radio onMike R
 +* Emergency alert to be tested on US cellphones, TV and radio on Wednesdaymicky
 |`* Emergency alert to be tested on US cellphones, TV and radio onRetirednoguilt
 | +* Emergency alert to be tested on US cellphones, TV and radio onrbowman
 | |`- lowbrowwoman, the Endlessly Driveling Senile GossipPeeler
 | `* Emergency alert to be tested on US cellphones, TV and radio on Wednesdaymicky
 |  `* Emergency alert to be tested on US cellphones, TV and radio onRetirednoguilt
 |   `- Emergency alert to be tested on US cellphones, TV and radio onCindy Hamilton
 `- Emergency alert to be tested on US cellphones, TV and radio onEd P

1
Re: Emergency alert to be tested on US cellphones, TV and radio on Wednesday

<FWETM.15009$8fO.4868@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=50589&group=alt.home.repair#50589

Subject: Re: Emergency alert to be tested on US cellphones, TV and radio on
Wednesday
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed P)
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 16:23:02 -0400
 by: Ed P - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 20:23 UTC

On 10/5/2023 3:40 PM, Bob F wrote:
> On 10/5/2023 9:00 AM, Wally J wrote:
>> The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote
>>
>>> Los Angeles:  never saw the stupid turtle either.  Teachers just yelled
>>> DROP and we climbed under our desks.  The ones with inkwells.  And we
>>> had ink pens before we got those really crappy ballpoint pens that left
>>> blobs on the paper.
>>
>> Not only did the school desks have inkwells in the far corner, but
>> they had
>> right handed inkwells and left handed inkwells for ambi-affirmation.
>
> Not in the schools that would not let left-handed people use their left
> hand. My sister was one of those.

I started kindergarten in 1950 and I guess our schools were enlightened
by that time. Never had a problem being left handed.

If not allowed to use my left hand, puberty would have been much
different.

Re: Emergency alert to be tested on US cellphones, TV and radio on Wednesday

<us7uhil1346jsja8jhekn27qg7bvt5tv0l@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=50590&group=alt.home.repair#50590

From: hub...@ccanoemail.com
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: Re: Emergency alert to be tested on US cellphones, TV and radio on Wednesday
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2023 17:02:32 -0400
 by: hub...@ccanoemail.com - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 21:02 UTC

>> Not in the schools that would not let left-handed people use their left
>> hand. My sister was one of those.
>>

>I started kindergarten in 1950 and I guess our schools were enlightened
>by that time. Never had a problem being left handed.

Where-on-earth did you have kindergarten in 1950 ?
It was a mid-60s thing here - and not widely accepted.
Left-handedness was considered a minor thing -
but not insignificant - what with fountain pens and
script writing and olden coarse paper ..
The lefties would need to curl their wrists - big time -
in order to drag the pen across the paper - and try to
impart the proper slant on the script or print writing.
John T.

Re: Emergency alert to be tested on US cellphones, TV and radio on Wednesday

<hAFTM.1661$txo9.1179@fx04.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=50592&group=alt.home.repair#50592

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: hamil...@invalid.com (Cindy Hamilton)
Wednesday
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2023 21:07:25 GMT
 by: Cindy Hamilton - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 21:07 UTC

On 2023-10-05, hubops@ccanoemail.com <hubops@ccanoemail.com> wrote:

>>> Not in the schools that would not let left-handed people use their left
>>> hand. My sister was one of those.
>>>

>>I started kindergarten in 1950 and I guess our schools were enlightened
>>by that time. Never had a problem being left handed.
>>

> Where-on-earth did you have kindergarten in 1950 ?
> It was a mid-60s thing here - and not widely accepted.
> Left-handedness was considered a minor thing -
> but not insignificant - what with fountain pens and
> script writing and olden coarse paper ..

I'm glad I came up during the 60s. No fountain pens. It
was all ballpoint by the time I leared cursive.

> The lefties would need to curl their wrists - big time -
> in order to drag the pen across the paper - and try to
> impart the proper slant on the script or print writing.

My teachers weren't that picky. I still ended up with
ink on the side of my hand.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Re: Emergency alert to be tested on US cellphones, TV and radio on Wednesday

<eq9uhipbejrmpr63hvuk914hmhmgkig95j@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=50593&group=alt.home.repair#50593

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
References: <ufi35b$19tn$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com> <ufi3t4$3p4o1$1@dont-email.me> <ko58f1F1deaU4@mid.individual.net> <ufkc1h$erdc$1@dont-email.me> <ufkelp$fk11$1@dont-email.me> <aa0shilethdejq0iqem5apk9tvm4uf5tms@4ax.com> <ufl8km$ogve$1@dont-email.me> <ufmmim$113ko$1@dont-email.me> <ufn3l6$13ki8$2@dont-email.me> <FWETM.15009$8fO.4868@fx15.iad> <us7uhil1346jsja8jhekn27qg7bvt5tv0l@4ax.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2023 17:23:29 -0400
 by: micky - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 21:23 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 05 Oct 2023 17:02:32 -0400,
hubops@ccanoemail.com wrote:

>>> Not in the schools that would not let left-handed people use their left
>>> hand. My sister was one of those.
>>>

>>I started kindergarten in 1950 and I guess our schools were enlightened
>>by that time. Never had a problem being left handed.
>>

> Where-on-earth did you have kindergarten in 1950 ?
>It was a mid-60s thing here

I'm only 3? years younger than Ed and they had kindergarten in New
Castle, Pa. when I lived there.

That would have been 1951-2.

> - and not widely accepted.

Right. I didn't go. My mother felt I already knew how to play well
with others. That is, I had one friend, who lived across the street. I
spent a lot of time with him, so I didn't need kindergarten. He didnt'
go either.

In those day iiuc it was just one long play-period. Now they expect
people leaving kindergarted to know how to read, or almost. Weird.

> Left-handedness was considered a minor thing -
>but not insignificant - what with fountain pens and
> script writing and olden coarse paper ..
>The lefties would need to curl their wrists - big time -
>in order to drag the pen across the paper - and try to

To avoid blurring the ink.

>impart the proper slant on the script or print writing.
> John T.

We may have had inkwells some years but I don't remember left-handed
ones. (My friend, mentioned above, had two of these desks in his attic,
with the seat attached to the desk behind it, so I don't remember if I
only saw them there or in school too.)

By 1960 I was in Indiana and for the Indiana State High School
Achievment Contest, 5 kids per subject from each school, they asked if
you were left-handed or not, and if you were, for the 3? hour test, they
assigned you to a seat at the left end of the table so that your arm
wouldn't bump into someone to your left.

Re: Emergency alert to be tested on US cellphones, TV and radio on Wednesday

<SQFTM.20498$sxoa.10161@fx13.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=50594&group=alt.home.repair#50594

Wednesday
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed P)
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 17:25:07 -0400
 by: Ed P - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 21:25 UTC

On 10/5/2023 5:02 PM, hubops@ccanoemail.com wrote:

>>> Not in the schools that would not let left-handed people use their left
>>> hand. My sister was one of those.
>>>

>> I started kindergarten in 1950 and I guess our schools were enlightened
>> by that time. Never had a problem being left handed.
>>

> Where-on-earth did you have kindergarten in 1950 ?
> It was a mid-60s thing here - and not widely accepted.
> Left-handedness was considered a minor thing -
> but not insignificant - what with fountain pens and
> script writing and olden coarse paper ..
> The lefties would need to curl their wrists - big time -
> in order to drag the pen across the paper - and try to
> impart the proper slant on the script or print writing.
> John T.

Mayfair Public School in Philadelphia. First grade was in the Catholic
school though as they did not have K.

Re: Emergency alert to be tested on US cellphones, TV and radio on Wednesday

<zZFTM.20499$sxoa.2845@fx13.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=50595&group=alt.home.repair#50595

Wednesday
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed P)
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 17:34:24 -0400
 by: Ed P - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 21:34 UTC

On 10/5/2023 5:07 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> I started kindergarten in 1950 and I guess our schools were enlightened
>>> by that time. Never had a problem being left handed.
>>>

>> Where-on-earth did you have kindergarten in 1950 ?
>> It was a mid-60s thing here - and not widely accepted.
>> Left-handedness was considered a minor thing -
>> but not insignificant - what with fountain pens and
>> script writing and olden coarse paper ..
>
> I'm glad I came up during the 60s. No fountain pens. It
> was all ballpoint by the time I leared cursive.

Cursive was not easy for a lefty and the first couple of years it was a
fountain pen. Finally, 5th grade I got a ball point and it made a huge
difference. I was finally able to read my own writing.

As an adult though, I often used a fountain pen and have a few of them.
Back in the early 80s, I had a job that I was on the road all day. When
I stopped for lunch, I always had a lined pad and I'd write to a friend,
a bit every day until I had three pages and then I'd mail it. Did that
for some years.

Now retired, I still write to her but on the computer. A letter can
take weeks and now I do two pages and can insert the occasional cartoon
or something. She still looks forward to them so I keep writing.

Re: Emergency alert to be tested on US cellphones, TV and radio on Wednesday

<dqauhipuq8v3ds8p6kq902p7f7h8v0pdk9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=50596&group=alt.home.repair#50596

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
References: <ufi35b$19tn$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com> <ufi3t4$3p4o1$1@dont-email.me> <ko58f1F1deaU4@mid.individual.net> <ufkc1h$erdc$1@dont-email.me> <ufkelp$fk11$1@dont-email.me> <aa0shilethdejq0iqem5apk9tvm4uf5tms@4ax.com> <ufl8km$ogve$1@dont-email.me> <ufmmim$113ko$1@dont-email.me> <ufn3l6$13ki8$2@dont-email.me> <FWETM.15009$8fO.4868@fx15.iad> <us7uhil1346jsja8jhekn27qg7bvt5tv0l@4ax.com> <hAFTM.1661$txo9.1179@fx04.iad>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2023 17:37:18 -0400
 by: micky - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 21:37 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 05 Oct 2023 21:07:25 GMT, Cindy Hamilton
<hamilton@invalid.com> wrote:

>>>I started kindergarten in 1950 and I guess our schools were enlightened
>>>by that time. Never had a problem being left handed.
>>>

>> Where-on-earth did you have kindergarten in 1950 ?
>> It was a mid-60s thing here - and not widely accepted.
>> Left-handedness was considered a minor thing -
>> but not insignificant - what with fountain pens and
>> script writing and olden coarse paper ..
>
>I'm glad I came up during the 60s. No fountain pens. It
>was all ballpoint by the time I leared cursive.

Did you ever see a Schaeffer Snorkel. It's worth all the pain of the
50's just to see one. Yuu turn the top end and a tube comes out of the
bottom that goes in the ink bottle and sucks up the ink.

And you probably never saw cartrige pens. You unscrew the bottom and
there is a tube the shape of a Pillsbury Biscuit Tube, but smaller, that
was once filled with ink. You replace it with another but you don't get
ink on your hands. A true marvel. Cartridges were sold in packs of 5
and I still have some plus 1 or 2 pens still in their bubble pack, with
extra ink.

My gosh I miss the 50's. Maybe I can find the pens in my desk and
relive those days.

>> The lefties would need to curl their wrists - big time -
>> in order to drag the pen across the paper - and try to
>> impart the proper slant on the script or print writing.
>
>My teachers weren't that picky. I still ended up with
>ink on the side of my hand.

Re: Emergency alert to be tested on US cellphones, TV and radio on Wednesday

<ufnlvh$173s1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=50599&group=alt.home.repair#50599

From: HapilyRe...@fakeaddress.com (Retirednoguilt)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Wednesday
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 20:56:15 -0400
 by: Retirednoguilt - Fri, 6 Oct 2023 00:56 UTC

On 10/5/2023 5:23 PM, micky wrote:

>>> I started kindergarten in 1950 and I guess our schools were enlightened
>>> by that time. Never had a problem being left handed.
>>>

>> Where-on-earth did you have kindergarten in 1950 ?
>> It was a mid-60s thing here
>
> I'm only 3? years younger than Ed and they had kindergarten in New
> Castle, Pa. when I lived there.
>
> That would have been 1951-2.

I attended kindergarten in the New York City public school system in
either 1950 or 1951. We had to learn and recite the pledge of
allegiance, sing My Country Ti's of Thee, play time with the toys in the
classroom, hand painting, song singing and the dreaded nap time which
never made sense to me. The "day" in kindergarten was only for 1/2 day.
I was never sleepy and usually misbehaved out of boredom. To this day I
still can't nap even if I've had a lousy night's sleep The only
exception: I'm sitting at a theatrical performance or movie that bores
me to frustration. If I were alone, I'd just leave. However, my other
half accuses me of passive-aggressive behavior by falling asleep because
usually she talked me into going with her and I think she transfers her
guilt to me.

Re: Emergency alert to be tested on US cellphones, TV and radio on Wednesday

<ufnm7b$173s1$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=50600&group=alt.home.repair#50600

From: HapilyRe...@fakeaddress.com (Retirednoguilt)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Wednesday
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 21:00:27 -0400
 by: Retirednoguilt - Fri, 6 Oct 2023 01:00 UTC

On 10/5/2023 5:37 PM, micky wrote:
> In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 05 Oct 2023 21:07:25 GMT, Cindy Hamilton
> <hamilton@invalid.com> wrote:

>>> Where-on-earth did you have kindergarten in 1950 ?
>>> It was a mid-60s thing here - and not widely accepted.
>>> Left-handedness was considered a minor thing -
>>> but not insignificant - what with fountain pens and
>>> script writing and olden coarse paper ..
>>
>> I'm glad I came up during the 60s. No fountain pens. It
>> was all ballpoint by the time I leared cursive.
>
> Did you ever see a Schaeffer Snorkel. It's worth all the pain of the
> 50's just to see one. Yuu turn the top end and a tube comes out of the
> bottom that goes in the ink bottle and sucks up the ink.
>
> And you probably never saw cartrige pens. You unscrew the bottom and
> there is a tube the shape of a Pillsbury Biscuit Tube, but smaller, that
> was once filled with ink. You replace it with another but you don't get
> ink on your hands. A true marvel. Cartridges were sold in packs of 5
> and I still have some plus 1 or 2 pens still in their bubble pack, with
> extra ink.

I had both of those before I finally moved up to the Esterbrook fountain
pens that had a pull down lever on the side of the barrel that squeezed
the ink bladder when the lever was pulled down. At least for me, all 3
models leaked. I was thrilled when ball point pens came out although
many of those also leaked! That's what I like about keyboards; no more
leaks!

Re: Emergency alert to be tested on US cellphones, TV and radio on Wednesday

<ko9f9nFn97vU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=50603&group=alt.home.repair#50603

From: bow...@montana.com (rbowman)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Wednesday
Date: 6 Oct 2023 04:04:07 GMT
 by: rbowman - Fri, 6 Oct 2023 04:04 UTC

On Thu, 5 Oct 2023 20:56:15 -0400, Retirednoguilt wrote:

> I attended kindergarten in the New York City public school system in
> either 1950 or 1951. We had to learn and recite the pledge of
> allegiance, sing My Country Ti's of Thee, play time with the toys in the
> classroom, hand painting, song singing and the dreaded nap time which
> never made sense to me.

I skipped kindergarten. Probably why I am insufficiently socialized.

Re: lowbrowwoman, the Endlessly Driveling Senile Gossip

<6bPTM.15786$xTV9.13061@fx39.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=50604&group=alt.home.repair#50604

From: trollt...@valid.invalid (Peeler)
Subject: Re: lowbrowwoman, the Endlessly Driveling Senile Gossip
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
References: <ufi35b$19tn$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com> <ufi3t4$3p4o1$1@dont-email.me> <ko58f1F1deaU4@mid.individual.net> <ufkc1h$erdc$1@dont-email.me> <ufkelp$fk11$1@dont-email.me> <aa0shilethdejq0iqem5apk9tvm4uf5tms@4ax.com> <ufl8km$ogve$1@dont-email.me> <ufmmim$113ko$1@dont-email.me> <ufn3l6$13ki8$2@dont-email.me> <FWETM.15009$8fO.4868@fx15.iad> <us7uhil1346jsja8jhekn27qg7bvt5tv0l@4ax.com> <eq9uhipbejrmpr63hvuk914hmhmgkig95j@4ax.com> <ufnlvh$173s1$1@dont-email.me> <ko9f9nFn97vU1@mid.individual.net>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2023 10:02:23 +0200
 by: Peeler - Fri, 6 Oct 2023 08:02 UTC

On 6 Oct 2023 04:04:07 GMT, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

> I skipped kindergarten. Probably why I am insufficiently socialized.

More likely because you have always been a genius, lowbrowwoman. One just
keeps getting that impression in these groups. <VBEG>

--
Self-admiring senile blabbermouth lowbrowwoman about himself, again:
"For $40 a pound I want something off an Angus and dry aged. My standards

Re: Emergency alert to be tested on US cellphones, TV and radio on Wednesday

<29kvhidv3cv23oski0rta7tkcv34cboodl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=50606&group=alt.home.repair#50606

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
References: <ufi3t4$3p4o1$1@dont-email.me> <ko58f1F1deaU4@mid.individual.net> <ufkc1h$erdc$1@dont-email.me> <ufkelp$fk11$1@dont-email.me> <aa0shilethdejq0iqem5apk9tvm4uf5tms@4ax.com> <ufl8km$ogve$1@dont-email.me> <ufmmim$113ko$1@dont-email.me> <ufn3l6$13ki8$2@dont-email.me> <FWETM.15009$8fO.4868@fx15.iad> <us7uhil1346jsja8jhekn27qg7bvt5tv0l@4ax.com> <hAFTM.1661$txo9.1179@fx04.iad> <dqauhipuq8v3ds8p6kq902p7f7h8v0pdk9@4ax.com> <ufnm7b$173s1$2@dont-email.me>
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2023 05:30:12 -0400
 by: micky - Fri, 6 Oct 2023 09:30 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 5 Oct 2023 21:00:27 -0400, Retirednoguilt
<HapilyRetired@fakeaddress.com> wrote:

>On 10/5/2023 5:37 PM, micky wrote:
>> In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 05 Oct 2023 21:07:25 GMT, Cindy Hamilton
>> <hamilton@invalid.com> wrote:

>>> I'm glad I came up during the 60s. No fountain pens. It
>>> was all ballpoint by the time I leared cursive.
>>
>> Did you ever see a Schaeffer Snorkel. It's worth all the pain of the
>> 50's just to see one. Yuu turn the top end and a tube comes out of the
>> bottom that goes in the ink bottle and sucks up the ink.
>>
>> And you probably never saw cartrige pens. You unscrew the bottom and
>> there is a tube the shape of a Pillsbury Biscuit Tube, but smaller, that
>> was once filled with ink. You replace it with another but you don't get
>> ink on your hands. A true marvel. Cartridges were sold in packs of 5
>> and I still have some plus 1 or 2 pens still in their bubble pack, with
>> extra ink.
>>
>I had both of those before I finally moved up to the Esterbrook fountain
>pens that had a pull down lever on the side of the barrel that squeezed
>the ink bladder when the lever was pulled down. At least for me, all 3

I found one of those in the desk at home. No one used it, or maybe the
case was cracked. I took it apart and saw the bladder, which I guess had
been a mystery to me up until then.

>models leaked.

They leaked if you moved one quickly and stopped suddenly. I think I
learned to not do that. They leaked into the cap and when you took the
cap off the ink dribbled out onto whatever.

>I was thrilled when ball point pens came out although
>many of those also leaked! That's what I like about keyboards; no more
>leaks!

Your keyboard doesn't leak?

When I was a first year student in college I bought one of the
transparent Bic pens with the simple blue cap, kept it in my shirt
pocket, and it leaked**, making a big blue spot that would not come out
on my shirt. I went back to the college book store and complained and
that the pen didn't work any more And I was told their slogan, "Writes
first time, every time" was really "Writes first time every time" and
since it wrote the first time, it met that standard.

**I don't think Bic pens leaked for everyone. Maybe my skin temperature
is higher than some people's

I despised ball-point pens and still despise most of them. They don't
always write and the line is harsh looking. I used cartridge pens for a
long time, and I'd refill the cartridges with a left-over syringe and a
bottle of ink. I still have the bottle of ink, about half full, but I
can't find the syringe. Finally they came out with roller ball, which
are really ball point with a different name. But some have a medium or
broad "point" which is good for marking up computer listings. And they
write all the time and don't smear much. So those I like a lot.

Re: Emergency alert to be tested on US cellphones, TV and radio on Wednesday

<a2lvhidh8nt8ktk068mupjminik51g75jr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=50607&group=alt.home.repair#50607

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2023 05:38:43 -0400
 by: micky - Fri, 6 Oct 2023 09:38 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 5 Oct 2023 20:56:15 -0400, Retirednoguilt
<HapilyRetired@fakeaddress.com> wrote:

>On 10/5/2023 5:23 PM, micky wrote:

>>> Where-on-earth did you have kindergarten in 1950 ?
>>> It was a mid-60s thing here
>>
>> I'm only 3? years younger than Ed and they had kindergarten in New
>> Castle, Pa. when I lived there.
>>
>> That would have been 1951-2.
>>

>I attended kindergarten in the New York City public school system in
>either 1950 or 1951. We had to learn and recite the pledge of
>allegiance, sing My Country Ti's of Thee, play time with the toys in the
>classroom, hand painting, song singing and the dreaded nap time which
>never made sense to me. The "day" in kindergarten was only for 1/2 day.
> I was never sleepy and usually misbehaved out of boredom. To this day I
>still can't nap even if I've had a lousy night's sleep The only
>exception: I'm sitting at a theatrical performance or movie that bores
>me to frustration. If I were alone, I'd just leave. However, my other
>half accuses me of passive-aggressive behavior by falling asleep because
>usually she talked me into going with her and I think she transfers her
>guilt to me.

LOL A boring play would make it easier to sleep than nothing at all.
Tell her I said it's not because of her.

Some kids must have gone to kindergarten, since my mother said it
existed, but I never identified one. For me, in the first grade, we
had the pledge of allegiance and the Lord's Prayer. In the 3rd grade
or so they added "under God" to the pledge and I never liked that,
because I'm a true conservative. (In most cases) I like things the way
they were, and now I don't like that they inserted religion into it.
Also the Lord's Prayer. Even though there's nothing in it with which I
disagree, it's religious and doesn't belong in public schools. When I
got to Indiana in the 1957, they didn't have it.

Re: Emergency alert to be tested on US cellphones, TV and radio on Wednesday

<ufp023$1i1uk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=50612&group=alt.home.repair#50612

From: HapilyRe...@fakeaddress.com (Retirednoguilt)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Wednesday
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2023 08:54:24 -0400
 by: Retirednoguilt - Fri, 6 Oct 2023 12:54 UTC

On 10/6/2023 5:30 AM, micky wrote:
> In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 5 Oct 2023 21:00:27 -0400, Retirednoguilt
> <HapilyRetired@fakeaddress.com> wrote:
>
>> On 10/5/2023 5:37 PM, micky wrote:

>>> Did you ever see a Schaeffer Snorkel. It's worth all the pain of the
>>> 50's just to see one. Yuu turn the top end and a tube comes out of the
>>> bottom that goes in the ink bottle and sucks up the ink.
>>>
>>> And you probably never saw cartrige pens. You unscrew the bottom and
>>> there is a tube the shape of a Pillsbury Biscuit Tube, but smaller, that
>>> was once filled with ink. You replace it with another but you don't get
>>> ink on your hands. A true marvel. Cartridges were sold in packs of 5
>>> and I still have some plus 1 or 2 pens still in their bubble pack, with
>>> extra ink.
>>>
>> I had both of those before I finally moved up to the Esterbrook fountain
>> pens that had a pull down lever on the side of the barrel that squeezed
>> the ink bladder when the lever was pulled down. At least for me, all 3
>
> I found one of those in the desk at home. No one used it, or maybe the
> case was cracked. I took it apart and saw the bladder, which I guess had
> been a mystery to me up until then.
>
>> models leaked.
>
> They leaked if you moved one quickly and stopped suddenly. I think I
> learned to not do that. They leaked into the cap and when you took the
> cap off the ink dribbled out onto whatever.
>
>> I was thrilled when ball point pens came out although
>> many of those also leaked! That's what I like about keyboards; no more
>> leaks!
>
> Your keyboard doesn't leak?
>
> When I was a first year student in college I bought one of the
> transparent Bic pens with the simple blue cap, kept it in my shirt
> pocket, and it leaked**, making a big blue spot that would not come out
> on my shirt. I went back to the college book store and complained and
> that the pen didn't work any more And I was told their slogan, "Writes
> first time, every time" was really "Writes first time every time" and
> since it wrote the first time, it met that standard.
>
> **I don't think Bic pens leaked for everyone. Maybe my skin temperature
> is higher than some people's
>
> I despised ball-point pens and still despise most of them. They don't
> always write and the line is harsh looking. I used cartridge pens for a
> long time, and I'd refill the cartridges with a left-over syringe and a
> bottle of ink. I still have the bottle of ink, about half full, but I
> can't find the syringe. Finally they came out with roller ball, which
> are really ball point with a different name. But some have a medium or
> broad "point" which is good for marking up computer listings. And they
> write all the time and don't smear much. So those I like a lot.
My favorite ball point is the old Parker T-ball jotter. Large ink
supply, smooth, smug-free. It seems that the OEM refills are either
unavailable or ridiculously expensive. I found an excellent substitute
that works as well and is much cheaper. I'm still on my first
cartridge, using it for almost one year, use the pen every day. On the
huge web store everybody loves to hate whose name starts with the letter
"A":

6 - Blue Parker Compatible Ballpoint Pen Refills. Smooth Writing German
Ink and 1mm Medium Tip. #1782468
Brand: Cottage Mills
4.5 4.5 out of 5 stars 3,950 ratings

Price:
$7.99 ($1.33 / Count)

OK, so the package and the refill says "JAYMO" not Cottage Mills and
"Made in China" (with German Ink?????) but they write well. Note: Each
tip is coated with a dollop of clear wax to prevent drying out. You
need to remove that with a fingernail or a piece of toilet tissue or
you'll think that the refill is all dried up before you even started
using it.

Re: Emergency alert to be tested on US cellphones, TV and radio on Wednesday

<ufp0fi$1i1uk$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=50613&group=alt.home.repair#50613

From: HapilyRe...@fakeaddress.com (Retirednoguilt)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Wednesday
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2023 09:01:38 -0400
 by: Retirednoguilt - Fri, 6 Oct 2023 13:01 UTC

On 10/6/2023 5:38 AM, micky wrote:
> In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 5 Oct 2023 20:56:15 -0400, Retirednoguilt
> <HapilyRetired@fakeaddress.com> wrote:
>

>> I attended kindergarten in the New York City public school system in
>> either 1950 or 1951. We had to learn and recite the pledge of
>> allegiance, sing My Country Ti's of Thee, play time with the toys in the
>> classroom, hand painting, song singing and the dreaded nap time which
>> never made sense to me. The "day" in kindergarten was only for 1/2 day.
>> I was never sleepy and usually misbehaved out of boredom. To this day I
>> still can't nap even if I've had a lousy night's sleep The only
>> exception: I'm sitting at a theatrical performance or movie that bores
>> me to frustration. If I were alone, I'd just leave. However, my other
>> half accuses me of passive-aggressive behavior by falling asleep because
>> usually she talked me into going with her and I think she transfers her
>> guilt to me.
>
> LOL A boring play would make it easier to sleep than nothing at all.
> Tell her I said it's not because of her.
>
> Some kids must have gone to kindergarten, since my mother said it
> existed, but I never identified one. For me, in the first grade, we
> had the pledge of allegiance and the Lord's Prayer. In the 3rd grade
> or so they added "under God" to the pledge and I never liked that,
> because I'm a true conservative. (In most cases) I like things the way
> they were, and now I don't like that they inserted religion into it.
> Also the Lord's Prayer. Even though there's nothing in it with which I
> disagree, it's religious and doesn't belong in public schools. When I
> got to Indiana in the 1957, they didn't have it.

We never had the Lord's Prayer in the New York City public schools but
we did have a daily Bible reading over the P.A. speaker on the wall at
the front of the classroom; usually from the New Testament. I felt and
still feel the same way you do about injecting religion into a public
school. Besides, our classes looked like the U.N. General Assembly.
Kids of all skin colors, lunch boxes with all different sights and
smells and often unfamiliar foreign language accented English and odd
sounding first and last names. You can't avoid growing up tolerant in
that environment and I'm thankful that I had that opportunity.

Re: Emergency alert to be tested on US cellphones, TV and radio on Wednesday

<tRTTM.18443$8fO.7050@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=50614&group=alt.home.repair#50614

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: hamil...@invalid.com (Cindy Hamilton)
Wednesday
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2023 13:21:29 GMT
 by: Cindy Hamilton - Fri, 6 Oct 2023 13:21 UTC

On 2023-10-06, Retirednoguilt <HapilyRetired@fakeaddress.com> wrote:
> On 10/6/2023 5:38 AM, micky wrote:
>> In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 5 Oct 2023 20:56:15 -0400, Retirednoguilt
>> <HapilyRetired@fakeaddress.com> wrote:
>>

>>> I attended kindergarten in the New York City public school system in
>>> either 1950 or 1951. We had to learn and recite the pledge of
>>> allegiance, sing My Country Ti's of Thee, play time with the toys in the
>>> classroom, hand painting, song singing and the dreaded nap time which
>>> never made sense to me. The "day" in kindergarten was only for 1/2 day.
>>> I was never sleepy and usually misbehaved out of boredom. To this day I
>>> still can't nap even if I've had a lousy night's sleep The only
>>> exception: I'm sitting at a theatrical performance or movie that bores
>>> me to frustration. If I were alone, I'd just leave. However, my other
>>> half accuses me of passive-aggressive behavior by falling asleep because
>>> usually she talked me into going with her and I think she transfers her
>>> guilt to me.
>>
>> LOL A boring play would make it easier to sleep than nothing at all.
>> Tell her I said it's not because of her.
>>
>> Some kids must have gone to kindergarten, since my mother said it
>> existed, but I never identified one. For me, in the first grade, we
>> had the pledge of allegiance and the Lord's Prayer. In the 3rd grade
>> or so they added "under God" to the pledge and I never liked that,
>> because I'm a true conservative. (In most cases) I like things the way
>> they were, and now I don't like that they inserted religion into it.
>> Also the Lord's Prayer. Even though there's nothing in it with which I
>> disagree, it's religious and doesn't belong in public schools. When I
>> got to Indiana in the 1957, they didn't have it.
>
> We never had the Lord's Prayer in the New York City public schools but
> we did have a daily Bible reading over the P.A. speaker on the wall at
> the front of the classroom; usually from the New Testament. I felt and
> still feel the same way you do about injecting religion into a public
> school. Besides, our classes looked like the U.N. General Assembly.
> Kids of all skin colors, lunch boxes with all different sights and
> smells and often unfamiliar foreign language accented English and odd
> sounding first and last names. You can't avoid growing up tolerant in
> that environment and I'm thankful that I had that opportunity.

By the time I got to school, the Nine Old Men had kicked God out
of the public school. More or less. He was still there in
passing in the Pledge of Allegiance, and in high school we had
some sort of pre-commencement ceremony that began with a prayer.
IIRC attendance at the ceremony was optional--except for the school
band, of which I was a part.

And we still had Christmas carols in music class, which was nice.

I don't think we had any non-Christians, although we had some
Jehovah's Witnesses who were excused from the Pledge and from
any other religiosity.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Re: Emergency alert to be tested on US cellphones, TV and radio on Wednesday

<bmk0ii9hjbbo5h9cnmdducpit0l4kd7mme@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=50624&group=alt.home.repair#50624

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
References: <ufkc1h$erdc$1@dont-email.me> <ufkelp$fk11$1@dont-email.me> <aa0shilethdejq0iqem5apk9tvm4uf5tms@4ax.com> <ufl8km$ogve$1@dont-email.me> <ufmmim$113ko$1@dont-email.me> <ufn3l6$13ki8$2@dont-email.me> <FWETM.15009$8fO.4868@fx15.iad> <us7uhil1346jsja8jhekn27qg7bvt5tv0l@4ax.com> <hAFTM.1661$txo9.1179@fx04.iad> <dqauhipuq8v3ds8p6kq902p7f7h8v0pdk9@4ax.com> <ufnm7b$173s1$2@dont-email.me> <29kvhidv3cv23oski0rta7tkcv34cboodl@4ax.com> <ufp023$1i1uk$1@dont-email.me>
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2023 14:39:10 -0400
 by: micky - Fri, 6 Oct 2023 18:39 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 6 Oct 2023 08:54:24 -0400, Retirednoguilt
<HapilyRetired@fakeaddress.com> wrote:

>On 10/6/2023 5:30 AM, micky wrote:
>> In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 5 Oct 2023 21:00:27 -0400, Retirednoguilt
>> <HapilyRetired@fakeaddress.com> wrote:

>>> I had both of those before I finally moved up to the Esterbrook fountain
>>> pens that had a pull down lever on the side of the barrel that squeezed
>>> the ink bladder when the lever was pulled down. At least for me, all 3
>>
>> I found one of those in the desk at home. No one used it, or maybe the
>> case was cracked. I took it apart and saw the bladder, which I guess had
>> been a mystery to me up until then.
>>
>>> models leaked.
>>
>> They leaked if you moved one quickly and stopped suddenly. I think I
>> learned to not do that. They leaked into the cap and when you took the
>> cap off the ink dribbled out onto whatever.
>>
>>> I was thrilled when ball point pens came out although
>>> many of those also leaked! That's what I like about keyboards; no more
>>> leaks!
>>
>> Your keyboard doesn't leak?
>>
>> When I was a first year student in college I bought one of the
>> transparent Bic pens with the simple blue cap, kept it in my shirt
>> pocket, and it leaked**, making a big blue spot that would not come out
>> on my shirt. I went back to the college book store and complained and
>> that the pen didn't work any more And I was told their slogan, "Writes
>> first time, every time" was really "Writes first time every time" and
>> since it wrote the first time, it met that standard.
>>
>> **I don't think Bic pens leaked for everyone. Maybe my skin temperature
>> is higher than some people's
>>
>> I despised ball-point pens and still despise most of them. They don't
>> always write and the line is harsh looking. I used cartridge pens for a
>> long time, and I'd refill the cartridges with a left-over syringe and a
>> bottle of ink. I still have the bottle of ink, about half full, but I
>> can't find the syringe. Finally they came out with roller ball, which
>> are really ball point with a different name. But some have a medium or
>> broad "point" which is good for marking up computer listings. And they
>> write all the time and don't smear much. So those I like a lot.

> My favorite ball point is the old Parker T-ball jotter. Large ink

I never saw one up close, but I've certainly heard from the beginning of
the T-ball jotter. T stands for textured, right? After they make the
balls the normal way, they have someone hand-drill up to 20 holes in
each ball. That makes them not skip.

>supply, smooth, smug-free. It seems that the OEM refills are either
>unavailable or ridiculously expensive.

Well of course. The people who do the drilling get a livable wage these
days, and it 20 holes take time.

> I found an excellent substitute
>that works as well and is much cheaper. I'm still on my first
>cartridge, using it for almost one year, use the pen every day. On the
>huge web store everybody loves to hate whose name starts with the letter
>"A":
>
>6 - Blue Parker Compatible Ballpoint Pen Refills. Smooth Writing German
>Ink and 1mm Medium Tip. #1782468
>Brand: Cottage Mills
>4.5 4.5 out of 5 stars 3,950 ratings
>
>Price:
>$7.99 ($1.33 / Count)
>
>OK, so the package and the refill says "JAYMO" not Cottage Mills and
>"Made in China" (with German Ink?????) but they write well. Note: Each
>tip is coated with a dollop of clear wax to prevent drying out. You
>need to remove that with a fingernail or a piece of toilet tissue or
>you'll think that the refill is all dried up before you even started
>using it.

Writes first time every time.

You realize that when the world's ink supply is used up, we'll have to
stop writing and printing. Everything will be verbal.

BTW I stopped using black ink because at least in an original, one can
tell that blue ink is not photocopy.

Re: Emergency alert to be tested on US cellphones, TV and radio on Wednesday

<KDfUM.28630$8fO.4142@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=50665&group=alt.home.repair#50665

Wednesday
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: not.em...@all.invalid (Sam E)
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2023 11:25:14 -0500
 by: Sam E - Sat, 7 Oct 2023 16:25 UTC

[snip]

> You realize that when the world's ink supply is used up, we'll have to
> stop writing and printing. Everything will be verbal.

Maybe you realize the word 'verbal' means "with words", whether written
or spoken. It appears the word you want is "oral".

Re: Emergency alert to be tested on US cellphones, TV and radio on Wednesday

<cFfUM.28631$8fO.20192@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=50666&group=alt.home.repair#50666

Wednesday
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: not.an.e...@all.invalid (Mike R)
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2023 11:26:48 -0500
 by: Mike R - Sat, 7 Oct 2023 16:26 UTC

[snip]

> You realize that when the world's ink supply is used up, we'll have to
> stop writing and printing. Everything will be verbal.

We have a good supply of used electrons.