Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIBSI23 Game 2, Rounds 9-10: architects, Waits challenge
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2023 03:21:36 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 15 Jun 2023 03:21 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-05-15,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Bloor St. Irregulars and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

** Game 2, Round 9 - Arts - Modern Architects

We name one or more significant architectural works; you name
their architect.

1. Sydney Opera House.
2. Toronto City Hall (1965).
3. Apple Park (Cupertino), the "Gherkin" (London).
4. TWA Terminal (New York), Gateway Arch (St. Louis).
5. Seagram Building (New York), T-D Centre (Toronto).
6. Bauhaus School (Dessau), Pan Am Building (New York).
7. Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (Cleveland), Louvre pyramid (Paris).
8. National Holocaust Monument (Ottawa), Michael Lee-Chin Crystal
(Toronto).

9. Guggenheim Museum (New York), Imperial Hotel (Tokyo), Johnson
Wax Building (Racine, Wisconsin).

10. Notre Dame du Haut (Ronchamp), High Court, Palace of Assembly,
and Secretariat (all Chandigarh).

** Game 2, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Tom Waits for No One

Simply a dozen Tom-Waits-adjacent questions.

* A. References

A1. One of Tom's songs includes the name of a saint. This saint
is best known as the patron saint of travellers, though
there is no certainty that he existed historically.
Name the saint.

A2. This Tom Waits song shares its name with a term for a common
grave for unknown, unclaimed, or indigent people.
The earliest known use of this term is from the Gospel of
Matthew, not "It's a Wonderful Life".

* B. Geography - Song Titles

B1. Tom once received a telephone call from what current city,
arguably the most populous in Europe? It's possible the
call was from a date informing him of where she's waiting.

B2. Tom's first experiment with the "sha-la-la" refrain was
about a girl from where? The girl, his future wife Kathleen
Brennan, was living in this US state, not an island in the
English Channel.

* C. Tom on the Big Screen

We'll name three movie credits Tom has with the same director;
you name the director.

C1. "The Dead Don't Die", "Mystery Train", "Down by Law".
C2. "One from the Heart", "Rumble Fish", "Bram Stoker's Dracula".

* D. Inspiration and Collaboration

D1. The title of Tom's 1975 album, "Nighthawks at the Diner" was
inspired by the 1942 work "Nighthawks", by what American
painter?

D2. In 1990, the "musical fable" "The Black Rider" premiered
in Hamburg. This was a collaboration between Waits, theater
director Robert Wilson, and what Beat Generation writer,
best known for "Naked Lunch"?

* E. The Songs

E1. What Tom Waits song was used as the theme song for the
HBO series "The Wire"? Each of the show's five seasons
used a different performer's version, with Tom's used for
Season 2.

E2. Rod Stewart had a huge hit in 1990 -- #1 in Canada, #3 on the
US "Billboard" Hot 100 -- with his cover of what Tom Waits
song?

* F. Lawsuits!

F1. In 2007, Tom won a "soundalike" lawsuit against what German
auto manufacturer? General Motors owned them from 1929 to
2017, then PSA Group, and now Stellantis.

F2. In 1990, Tom won $2,500,000 in a "soundalike" lawsuit over
an ad for a new Doritos flavor, SalsaRio. What snack-food
company was named in the suit, a wholly-owned subsidiary
of PepsiCo since 1965?

--
Mark Brader | "The inability to distinguish between epistemic and deontic
Toronto | interpretations of 'why', which is common among children,

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 2, Rounds 9-10: architects, Waits challenge

<bbe923db-9681-43e9-9944-52bae98dcc8en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4874&group=rec.games.trivia#4874

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 21:02:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Thu, 15 Jun 2023 04:02 UTC

On Wednesday, June 14, 2023 at 10:21:47 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 2, Round 9 - Arts - Modern Architects
>
> We name one or more significant architectural works; you name
> their architect.
>
> 7. Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (Cleveland), Louvre pyramid (Paris).

Pei

> 9. Guggenheim Museum (New York), Imperial Hotel (Tokyo), Johnson
> Wax Building (Racine, Wisconsin).

Wright

> ** Game 2, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Tom Waits for No One
>
> Simply a dozen Tom-Waits-adjacent questions.
>
> * A. References
>
> A1. One of Tom's songs includes the name of a saint. This saint
> is best known as the patron saint of travellers, though
> there is no certainty that he existed historically.
> Name the saint.

St. Christopher
> A2. This Tom Waits song shares its name with a term for a common
> grave for unknown, unclaimed, or indigent people.
> The earliest known use of this term is from the Gospel of
> Matthew, not "It's a Wonderful Life".

potter's field

> * B. Geography - Song Titles
>
> B1. Tom once received a telephone call from what current city,
> arguably the most populous in Europe? It's possible the
> call was from a date informing him of where she's waiting.

London; Paris

> B2. Tom's first experiment with the "sha-la-la" refrain was
> about a girl from where? The girl, his future wife Kathleen
> Brennan, was living in this US state, not an island in the
> English Channel.

New Jersey

> * C. Tom on the Big Screen
>
> We'll name three movie credits Tom has with the same director;
> you name the director.
>
> C1. "The Dead Don't Die", "Mystery Train", "Down by Law".

Jarmusch

> C2. "One from the Heart", "Rumble Fish", "Bram Stoker's Dracula".

Coppola

> * D. Inspiration and Collaboration
>
> D1. The title of Tom's 1975 album, "Nighthawks at the Diner" was
> inspired by the 1942 work "Nighthawks", by what American
> painter?

Hopper

> D2. In 1990, the "musical fable" "The Black Rider" premiered
> in Hamburg. This was a collaboration between Waits, theater
> director Robert Wilson, and what Beat Generation writer,
> best known for "Naked Lunch"?

Burroughs

> * E. The Songs
>
> E2. Rod Stewart had a huge hit in 1990 -- #1 in Canada, #3 on the
> US "Billboard" Hot 100 -- with his cover of what Tom Waits
> song?

"Downtown Train"

> * F. Lawsuits!
>
> F2. In 1990, Tom won $2,500,000 in a "soundalike" lawsuit over
> an ad for a new Doritos flavor, SalsaRio. What snack-food
> company was named in the suit, a wholly-owned subsidiary
> of PepsiCo since 1965?

Frito-Lay

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 2, Rounds 9-10: architects, Waits challenge

<XnsB024D591EBCADYazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4877&group=rec.games.trivia#4877

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2023 20:59:41 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Thu, 15 Jun 2023 18:59 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> ** Game 2, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Tom Waits for No One
>
> * B. Geography - Song Titles
>
> B1. Tom once received a telephone call from what current city,
> arguably the most populous in Europe? It's possible the
> call was from a date informing him of where she's waiting.

Istanbul
> D2. In 1990, the "musical fable" "The Black Rider" premiered
> in Hamburg. This was a collaboration between Waits, theater
> director Robert Wilson, and what Beat Generation writer,
> best known for "Naked Lunch"?

Boroughs

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 2, Rounds 9-10: architects, Waits challenge

<u6g8jc$ibd$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4878&group=rec.games.trivia#4878

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2023 23:58:36 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Thu, 15 Jun 2023 23:58 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 2, Round 9 - Arts - Modern Architects

> 1. Sydney Opera House.

Saarinen

> 3. Apple Park (Cupertino), the "Gherkin" (London).

Gehry

> 4. TWA Terminal (New York), Gateway Arch (St. Louis).

Schiller

> 5. Seagram Building (New York), T-D Centre (Toronto).

Neutra

> 6. Bauhaus School (Dessau), Pan Am Building (New York).

van der Rohe

> 7. Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (Cleveland), Louvre pyramid (Paris).

Pei

> 9. Guggenheim Museum (New York), Imperial Hotel (Tokyo), Johnson
> Wax Building (Racine, Wisconsin).

Wright

> ** Game 2, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Tom Waits for No One

> * A. References

> A1. One of Tom's songs includes the name of a saint. This saint
> is best known as the patron saint of travellers, though
> there is no certainty that he existed historically.
> Name the saint.

Christopher

> A2. This Tom Waits song shares its name with a term for a common
> grave for unknown, unclaimed, or indigent people.
> The earliest known use of this term is from the Gospel of
> Matthew, not "It's a Wonderful Life".

potter's field

> * B. Geography - Song Titles

> B1. Tom once received a telephone call from what current city,
> arguably the most populous in Europe? It's possible the
> call was from a date informing him of where she's waiting.

Istanbul

> B2. Tom's first experiment with the "sha-la-la" refrain was
> about a girl from where? The girl, his future wife Kathleen
> Brennan, was living in this US state, not an island in the
> English Channel.

New Jersey

> * C. Tom on the Big Screen

> C2. "One from the Heart", "Rumble Fish", "Bram Stoker's Dracula".

Francis Ford Coppola

> * D. Inspiration and Collaboration

> D1. The title of Tom's 1975 album, "Nighthawks at the Diner" was
> inspired by the 1942 work "Nighthawks", by what American
> painter?

Hopper

> D2. In 1990, the "musical fable" "The Black Rider" premiered
> in Hamburg. This was a collaboration between Waits, theater
> director Robert Wilson, and what Beat Generation writer,
> best known for "Naked Lunch"?

William S. Burroughs

> * F. Lawsuits!

> F2. In 1990, Tom won $2,500,000 in a "soundalike" lawsuit over
> an ad for a new Doritos flavor, SalsaRio. What snack-food
> company was named in the suit, a wholly-owned subsidiary
> of PepsiCo since 1965?

Frito-Lay

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 2, Rounds 9-10: architects, Waits challenge

<u6gtec$od53$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4879&group=rec.games.trivia#4879

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2023 22:54:20 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Fri, 16 Jun 2023 05:54 UTC

On 6/14/23 20:21, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 2, Round 9 - Arts - Modern Architects
>
> We name one or more significant architectural works; you name
> their architect.
>
> 1. Sydney Opera House.
> 2. Toronto City Hall (1965).
> 3. Apple Park (Cupertino), the "Gherkin" (London).
> 4. TWA Terminal (New York), Gateway Arch (St. Louis).
> 5. Seagram Building (New York), T-D Centre (Toronto).
> 6. Bauhaus School (Dessau), Pan Am Building (New York).
> 7. Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (Cleveland), Louvre pyramid (Paris).
> 8. National Holocaust Monument (Ottawa), Michael Lee-Chin Crystal
> (Toronto).
>
> 9. Guggenheim Museum (New York), Imperial Hotel (Tokyo), Johnson
> Wax Building (Racine, Wisconsin).
>
> 10. Notre Dame du Haut (Ronchamp), High Court, Palace of Assembly,
> and Secretariat (all Chandigarh).
>

> ** Game 2, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Tom Waits for No One
>
> Simply a dozen Tom-Waits-adjacent questions.
>
> * A. References
>
> A1. One of Tom's songs includes the name of a saint. This saint
> is best known as the patron saint of travellers, though
> there is no certainty that he existed historically.
> Name the saint.

St Christopher

> A2. This Tom Waits song shares its name with a term for a common
> grave for unknown, unclaimed, or indigent people.
> The earliest known use of this term is from the Gospel of
> Matthew, not "It's a Wonderful Life".

Potter's Field

> * B. Geography - Song Titles
>
> B1. Tom once received a telephone call from what current city,
> arguably the most populous in Europe? It's possible the
> call was from a date informing him of where she's waiting.
>
> B2. Tom's first experiment with the "sha-la-la" refrain was
> about a girl from where? The girl, his future wife Kathleen
> Brennan, was living in this US state, not an island in the
> English Channel.
>
> * C. Tom on the Big Screen
>
> We'll name three movie credits Tom has with the same director;
> you name the director.
>
> C1. "The Dead Don't Die", "Mystery Train", "Down by Law".
> C2. "One from the Heart", "Rumble Fish", "Bram Stoker's Dracula".
>

> * D. Inspiration and Collaboration
>
> D1. The title of Tom's 1975 album, "Nighthawks at the Diner" was
> inspired by the 1942 work "Nighthawks", by what American
> painter?
>
> D2. In 1990, the "musical fable" "The Black Rider" premiered
> in Hamburg. This was a collaboration between Waits, theater
> director Robert Wilson, and what Beat Generation writer,
> best known for "Naked Lunch"?
>

> * E. The Songs
>
> E1. What Tom Waits song was used as the theme song for the
> HBO series "The Wire"? Each of the show's five seasons
> used a different performer's version, with Tom's used for
> Season 2.
>
> E2. Rod Stewart had a huge hit in 1990 -- #1 in Canada, #3 on the
> US "Billboard" Hot 100 -- with his cover of what Tom Waits
> song?
>

> * F. Lawsuits!
>
> F1. In 2007, Tom won a "soundalike" lawsuit against what German
> auto manufacturer? General Motors owned them from 1929 to
> 2017, then PSA Group, and now Stellantis.

Opel

> F2. In 1990, Tom won $2,500,000 in a "soundalike" lawsuit over
> an ad for a new Doritos flavor, SalsaRio. What snack-food
> company was named in the suit, a wholly-owned subsidiary
> of PepsiCo since 1965?

Frito-Lay

--
Dan Tilque

Re: QFTCIBSI23 Game 2, Rounds 9-10: architects, Waits challenge

<e5d1c766-b591-47a3-afe1-330eee7afd52n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4880&group=rec.games.trivia#4880

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 17:09:23 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen....@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 00:09 UTC

On Wednesday, June 14, 2023 at 11:21:47 PM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-05-15,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Bloor St. Irregulars and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 2, Round 9 - Arts - Modern Architects
>
> We name one or more significant architectural works; you name
> their architect.
>
> 1. Sydney Opera House.

utzon

> 2. Toronto City Hall (1965).

revell

> 3. Apple Park (Cupertino), the "Gherkin" (London).

norman foster

> 4. TWA Terminal (New York), Gateway Arch (St. Louis).

saarinen

> 5. Seagram Building (New York), T-D Centre (Toronto).

van der rohe

> 6. Bauhaus School (Dessau), Pan Am Building (New York).

walter gropius

> 7. Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (Cleveland), Louvre pyramid (Paris).

i m pei

> 8. National Holocaust Monument (Ottawa), Michael Lee-Chin Crystal
> (Toronto).

johnson

> 9. Guggenheim Museum (New York), Imperial Hotel (Tokyo), Johnson
> Wax Building (Racine, Wisconsin).

frank lloyd wright

> 10. Notre Dame du Haut (Ronchamp), High Court, Palace of Assembly,
> and Secretariat (all Chandigarh).

le corbusier

> ** Game 2, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Tom Waits for No One
>
> Simply a dozen Tom-Waits-adjacent questions.
>
> * A. References
>
> A1. One of Tom's songs includes the name of a saint. This saint
> is best known as the patron saint of travellers, though
> there is no certainty that he existed historically.
> Name the saint.

saint christopher

> A2. This Tom Waits song shares its name with a term for a common
> grave for unknown, unclaimed, or indigent people.
> The earliest known use of this term is from the Gospel of
> Matthew, not "It's a Wonderful Life".

potters field

> * B. Geography - Song Titles
>
> B1. Tom once received a telephone call from what current city,
> arguably the most populous in Europe? It's possible the
> call was from a date informing him of where she's waiting.

istanbul

> B2. Tom's first experiment with the "sha-la-la" refrain was
> about a girl from where? The girl, his future wife Kathleen
> Brennan, was living in this US state, not an island in the
> English Channel.

new jersey

> * C. Tom on the Big Screen
>
> We'll name three movie credits Tom has with the same director;
> you name the director.
>
> C1. "The Dead Don't Die", "Mystery Train", "Down by Law".

jim jarmusch

> C2. "One from the Heart", "Rumble Fish", "Bram Stoker's Dracula".

francis ford coppola

> * D. Inspiration and Collaboration
>
> D1. The title of Tom's 1975 album, "Nighthawks at the Diner" was
> inspired by the 1942 work "Nighthawks", by what American
> painter?

hopper?

> D2. In 1990, the "musical fable" "The Black Rider" premiered
> in Hamburg. This was a collaboration between Waits, theater
> director Robert Wilson, and what Beat Generation writer,
> best known for "Naked Lunch"?

william s burroughs

> * E. The Songs
>
> E1. What Tom Waits song was used as the theme song for the
> HBO series "The Wire"? Each of the show's five seasons
> used a different performer's version, with Tom's used for
> Season 2.

way down in the hole

> E2. Rod Stewart had a huge hit in 1990 -- #1 in Canada, #3 on the
> US "Billboard" Hot 100 -- with his cover of what Tom Waits
> song?

downtown train

> * F. Lawsuits!
>
> F1. In 2007, Tom won a "soundalike" lawsuit against what German
> auto manufacturer? General Motors owned them from 1929 to
> 2017, then PSA Group, and now Stellantis.

opel?

> F2. In 1990, Tom won $2,500,000 in a "soundalike" lawsuit over
> an ad for a new Doritos flavor, SalsaRio. What snack-food
> company was named in the suit, a wholly-owned subsidiary
> of PepsiCo since 1965?

frito-lay

> --
> Mark Brader | "The inability to distinguish between epistemic and deontic
> Toronto | interpretations of 'why', which is common among children,
> m...@vex.net | is the source of a great deal of religion." --John Lawler
>
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

swp

QFTCIBSI23 Game 2, Rounds 9-10 answers: architects, Waits challenge

<uHednbRrHOuEHxP5nZ2dnZfqnPudnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4881&group=rec.games.trivia#4881

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: QFTCIBSI23 Game 2, Rounds 9-10 answers: architects, Waits challenge
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 04:03:37 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 04:03 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2023-05-15,
> please see my 2023-05-24 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

Well, Game 2 is over an it's a strong win for STEPHEN PERRY.
Hearty congratulations, sir!

> ** Game 2, Round 9 - Arts - Modern Architects

> We name one or more significant architectural works; you name
> their architect.

> 1. Sydney Opera House.

Jorn Utzon. 4 for Stephen.

> 2. Toronto City Hall (1965).

Viljo Revell. 4 for Stephen.

> 3. Apple Park (Cupertino), the "Gherkin" (London).

Norman Foster. 4 for Stephen.

The Gherkin was originally the Swiss Re Building, but now is known
officially only by its street address, 30 St. Mary Axe.

> 4. TWA Terminal (New York), Gateway Arch (St. Louis).

Eero Saarinen. 4 for Stephen.

> 5. Seagram Building (New York), T-D Centre (Toronto).

Ludwig Mies van der Rohe. 4 for Stephen.

> 6. Bauhaus School (Dessau), Pan Am Building (New York).

Walter Gropius. 4 for Stephen.

The Pan Am Building is now called the MetLife Building.

> 7. Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (Cleveland), Louvre pyramid (Paris).

I.M. Pei. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 8. National Holocaust Monument (Ottawa), Michael Lee-Chin Crystal
> (Toronto).

Daniel Libeskind.

> 9. Guggenheim Museum (New York), Imperial Hotel (Tokyo), Johnson
> Wax Building (Racine, Wisconsin).

Frank Lloyd Wright. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 10. Notre Dame du Haut (Ronchamp), High Court, Palace of Assembly,
> and Secretariat (all Chandigarh).

Le Corbusier (Charles-Édouard Jeanneret). 4 for Stephen.

> ** Game 2, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Tom Waits for No One

> Simply a dozen Tom-Waits-adjacent questions.

> * A. References

> A1. One of Tom's songs includes the name of a saint. This saint
> is best known as the patron saint of travellers, though
> there is no certainty that he existed historically.
> Name the saint.

St. Christopher. ("Hang On, St. Christopher".) 4 for Joshua,
Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Stephen.

> A2. This Tom Waits song shares its name with a term for a common
> grave for unknown, unclaimed, or indigent people.
> The earliest known use of this term is from the Gospel of
> Matthew, not "It's a Wonderful Life".

Potter's Field. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Stephen.

> * B. Geography - Song Titles

> B1. Tom once received a telephone call from what current city,
> arguably the most populous in Europe? It's possible the
> call was from a date informing him of where she's waiting.

Istanbul. ("Telephone Call From Istanbul".) 4 for Erland, Dan Blum,
and Stephen.

It's "the most populous in Europe" if you go by city-proper
population and include the part of Istanbul that isn't in Europe.
If you only count the part that is, then Moscow is larger. If you
go by metropolitan areas, the largest might be Istanbul (if you
include the part that isn't in Europe), Moscow, London, or Paris,
depending on whose data you use.

> B2. Tom's first experiment with the "sha-la-la" refrain was
> about a girl from where? The girl, his future wife Kathleen
> Brennan, was living in this US state, not an island in the
> English Channel.

(New) Jersey. ("Jersey Girl".) 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> * C. Tom on the Big Screen

> We'll name three movie credits Tom has with the same director;
> you name the director.

> C1. "The Dead Don't Die", "Mystery Train", "Down by Law".

Jim Jarmusch. 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> C2. "One from the Heart", "Rumble Fish", "Bram Stoker's Dracula".

Francis Ford Coppola. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> * D. Inspiration and Collaboration

> D1. The title of Tom's 1975 album, "Nighthawks at the Diner" was
> inspired by the 1942 work "Nighthawks", by what American
> painter?

Edward Hopper. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

See:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a8/Nighthawks_by_Edward_Hopper_1942.jpg

> D2. In 1990, the "musical fable" "The Black Rider" premiered
> in Hamburg. This was a collaboration between Waits, theater
> director Robert Wilson, and what Beat Generation writer,
> best known for "Naked Lunch"?

William S. Burroughs. (I accepted "Boroughs" for full points since
it can be pronounced the same.) 4 for Joshua, Erland, Dan Blum,
and Stephen.

> * E. The Songs

> E1. What Tom Waits song was used as the theme song for the
> HBO series "The Wire"? Each of the show's five seasons
> used a different performer's version, with Tom's used for
> Season 2.

"Way Down in the Hole". 4 for Stephen.

> E2. Rod Stewart had a huge hit in 1990 -- #1 in Canada, #3 on the
> US "Billboard" Hot 100 -- with his cover of what Tom Waits
> song?

"Downtown Train". 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> * F. Lawsuits!

> F1. In 2007, Tom won a "soundalike" lawsuit against what German
> auto manufacturer? General Motors owned them from 1929 to
> 2017, then PSA Group, and now Stellantis.

Opel. 4 for Dan Tilque and Stephen.

> F2. In 1990, Tom won $2,500,000 in a "soundalike" lawsuit over
> an ad for a new Doritos flavor, SalsaRio. What snack-food
> company was named in the suit, a wholly-owned subsidiary
> of PepsiCo since 1965?

Frito-Lay. (Both parts of the name required.) 4 for Joshua,
Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Stephen.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 2 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Can Mis Sci Spo Geo His Art Cha SIX
Stephen Perry 40 40 40 32 -- -- 36 48 236
Joshua Kreitzer 32 24 40 28 35 0 8 36 195
Dan Blum 0 31 36 16 28 8 8 32 151
Dan Tilque 4 24 40 12 20 24 0 16 136
Erland Sommarskog 20 16 40 12 20 16 0 8 124
Pete Gayde 8 16 28 20 24 4 -- -- 100

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Astronauts practice landing on laptops"
msb@vex.net | --Ft. Myers, FL, News-Press, March 13, 1994