Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
From: fos...@sdf.org
Subject: Garlic Bed Mulch Crop
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2022 12:18:04 GMT
 by: fos...@sdf.org - Fri, 1 Jul 2022 12:18 UTC

in a couple weeks our garlic is ready for harvest. last year we
harvested the garlic, covered the bed with shredded straw to prevent
weeds, and didn't touch it again until early october a couple weeks
before planting more.

this year i'd like to grow a cover crop with the intention of
incorporating it by turning it into the soil as an amendment when
preparing for planting garlic again this fall.

growing zone 6. any suggestions for what to plant. fava bean roots
apparently help add nitrogen to the soil. is doing this even
recommended, or is it not a good thing to do?

--
fos@sdf.org
SDF Public Access UNIX System - https://sdf.org

Re: Garlic Bed Mulch Crop

<t9n8f6$2afd8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=488&group=rec.gardens.edible#488

From: bobnos...@gmail.com (Bob F)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Subject: Re: Garlic Bed Mulch Crop
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2022 09:47:39 -0700
 by: Bob F - Fri, 1 Jul 2022 16:47 UTC

On 7/1/2022 5:18 AM, fos@sdf.org wrote:
> in a couple weeks our garlic is ready for harvest. last year we
> harvested the garlic, covered the bed with shredded straw to prevent
> weeds, and didn't touch it again until early october a couple weeks
> before planting more.
>
> this year i'd like to grow a cover crop with the intention of
> incorporating it by turning it into the soil as an amendment when
> preparing for planting garlic again this fall.
>
> growing zone 6. any suggestions for what to plant. fava bean roots
> apparently help add nitrogen to the soil. is doing this even
> recommended, or is it not a good thing to do?

Many sites say not to plant garlic in the same place year to year.