I am the mother of all things, and all things should wear a sweater.

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCICR14 Game 3, Rounds 9-10 answers: school movies, other Fords

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCICR14 Game 3, Rounds 9-10: school movies, other FordsMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 3, Rounds 9-10: school movies, other FordsDan Tilque
+- Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 3, Rounds 9-10: school movies, other FordsDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 3, Rounds 9-10: school movies, other FordsJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 3, Rounds 9-10: school movies, other FordsPete Gayde
`- RQFTCICR14 Game 3, Rounds 9-10 answers: school movies, other FordsMark Brader

1
RQFTCICR14 Game 3, Rounds 9-10: school movies, other Fords

<tfGcnfIB_aHNeJr5nZ2dnZfqn_SdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4585&group=rec.games.trivia#4585

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCICR14 Game 3, Rounds 9-10: school movies, other Fords
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2023 01:30:56 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Wed, 8 Mar 2023 01:30 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-01-27,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Cellar Rats, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

** Game 3, Round 9 - Entertainment - Be True to Your School

We give you the name of the high school in a movie, the year of
the film, and a clue. And you give us the movie title.

1. Rydell High, 1978. "Tell me more!"
2. Eastside High, 2003. "Getcher head in the game!"
3. Dawson High School, 1955. "They called me chicken!"
4. Shermer High School, 1985. A brain, an athlete, a basket case...
5. Padua High School, 1999. Loosely based on "The Taming of
the Shrew".

6. Beverly Hills High School, 1995. Loosely based on Jane Austen's
"Emma".

7. Westerberg High School, 1988. A volatile student body, in a
myriad of ways.

8. North Quay Secondary School, 1967. Song lyric: "How do you
thank someone who's taken you from crayons to perfume?"

9. Dancing Elk High School, 2007.
"Your parents are probably wondering where you are."
"Nah... I'm already pregnant, so what other kind of shenanigans
could I get into?

10. North Manual High, 1955.
"How will they ever graduate?"
"Graduate? They just get to be 18. Then they throw them out
to make room for more of the same kind."

** Game 3, Round 10 - Challenge Round - The Other Fords

* A. Sports Fords

A1. This Ford, a left-hander, pitched for the Yankees 1950-67.
His 236 wins as a Yankee are still the team's all-time
record. He was part of the broadcasts for both the first
Toronto Blue Jays game in 1977 and the last game at the
original Yankee Stadium in 2008. Give his first name
or nickname.

A2. Ford Field """is""" home to what major-league sports team?
Full name required, like "Toronto Raptors".

* B. Geografords

In each case, name the place.

B1. This is a county in Ireland's sunny southeast, and a city
there known for china and crystalware.

B2. This city on the Connecticut River prospered from the
firearms industry in the 19th century, and the insurance
industry in the 20th.

* C. Henry Ford's Materials Science

C1. In the 1920s, when Henry Ford learned of a process for
turning wood scraps from his factories into a consumer
product, he started a company with relative E.G. Kingsford
to produce and market it. You can still find Kingsford
brand products in grocery and hardware stores. What does
Kingsford make?

C2. Henry Ford had an interest in industrial uses of agricultural
products. He worked with George Washington Carver to
develop paints and plastics derived from what crop?

* D. Movie Fords

D1. Please decode the rot13 for this question only after you have
finished with Round 9. Guvf npgvat Sbeq jnf obea va Dhrorp
Pvgl va 1916. Ur nccrnerq va qbmraf bs jrfgreaf naq va
"Oynpxobneq Whatyr", naq ur jba n Tbyqra Tybor sbe Orfg
Npgbe va "Cbpxrgshy bs Zvenpyrf". Ur unq n fhccbegvat
ebyr va "Fhcrezna" (1978) nf Fhcrezna'f nqbcgvir sngure,
Wbanguna Xrag. Tvir uvf svefg anzr.

D2. John Ford holds the record for winning the most Best
Director Oscars. Name any one of the 4 movies he won for.

* E. American History Fords

E1. This Ford shot the outlaw Jesse James in the back in 1882.
Give his first name.

E2. Before becoming vice-president (and then president), Gerald
Ford was a congressman for 25 years -- representing what
state?

* F. Ford Motor Co. Friends and Family

F1. Who is the great-grandson of Henry Ford, who """currently"""
serves as the executive chairman of Ford Motor Company?
*Note:* If the position has changed, you may name the
current holder only if that person is related to Henry Ford.

F2. Another great-grandfather of <answer F1> was a close friend
and business associate of Henry Ford. He was an
industrialist whose products were sold with Ford's cars.
He frequently vacationed with Henry Ford and Thomas Edison.
Who was he?

After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Va nafjre S1,
jr arrq gur svefg, zvqqyr, naq ynfg anzr. Vs lbh qvq abg tvir nyy
guerr, cyrnfr tb onpx naq pbzcyrgr gur nafjre.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Whatever you are, be out and out,
msb@vex.net | not divided or in doubt." -- Brand (Ibsen)

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 3, Rounds 9-10: school movies, other Fords

<tu8qjr$kvu3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4586&group=rec.games.trivia#4586

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2023 18:06:50 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Wed, 8 Mar 2023 02:06 UTC

On 3/7/23 17:30, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 3, Round 9 - Entertainment - Be True to Your School
>
> We give you the name of the high school in a movie, the year of
> the film, and a clue. And you give us the movie title.
>
> 1. Rydell High, 1978. "Tell me more!"
> 2. Eastside High, 2003. "Getcher head in the game!"
> 3. Dawson High School, 1955. "They called me chicken!"
> 4. Shermer High School, 1985. A brain, an athlete, a basket case...
> 5. Padua High School, 1999. Loosely based on "The Taming of
> the Shrew".
>
> 6. Beverly Hills High School, 1995. Loosely based on Jane Austen's
> "Emma".
>
> 7. Westerberg High School, 1988. A volatile student body, in a
> myriad of ways.
>
> 8. North Quay Secondary School, 1967. Song lyric: "How do you
> thank someone who's taken you from crayons to perfume?"

To Sir with Love

> 9. Dancing Elk High School, 2007.
> "Your parents are probably wondering where you are."
> "Nah... I'm already pregnant, so what other kind of shenanigans
> could I get into?
>
> 10. North Manual High, 1955.
> "How will they ever graduate?"
> "Graduate? They just get to be 18. Then they throw them out
> to make room for more of the same kind."
>

> ** Game 3, Round 10 - Challenge Round - The Other Fords
>
> * A. Sports Fords
>
> A1. This Ford, a left-hander, pitched for the Yankees 1950-67.
> His 236 wins as a Yankee are still the team's all-time
> record. He was part of the broadcasts for both the first
> Toronto Blue Jays game in 1977 and the last game at the
> original Yankee Stadium in 2008. Give his first name
> or nickname.

Whitey Ford

> A2. Ford Field """is""" home to what major-league sports team?
> Full name required, like "Toronto Raptors".
>

> * B. Geografords
>
> In each case, name the place.
>
> B1. This is a county in Ireland's sunny southeast, and a city
> there known for china and crystalware.

Waterford

> B2. This city on the Connecticut River prospered from the
> firearms industry in the 19th century, and the insurance
> industry in the 20th.

Stamford

> * C. Henry Ford's Materials Science
>
> C1. In the 1920s, when Henry Ford learned of a process for
> turning wood scraps from his factories into a consumer
> product, he started a company with relative E.G. Kingsford
> to produce and market it. You can still find Kingsford
> brand products in grocery and hardware stores. What does
> Kingsford make?

charcoal

> C2. Henry Ford had an interest in industrial uses of agricultural
> products. He worked with George Washington Carver to
> develop paints and plastics derived from what crop?

peanuts

> * D. Movie Fords
>
> D1. Please decode the rot13 for this question only after you have
> finished with Round 9. Guvf npgvat Sbeq jnf obea va Dhrorp
> Pvgl va 1916. Ur nccrnerq va qbmraf bs jrfgreaf naq va
> "Oynpxobneq Whatyr", naq ur jba n Tbyqra Tybor sbe Orfg
> Npgbe va "Cbpxrgshy bs Zvenpyrf". Ur unq n fhccbegvat
> ebyr va "Fhcrezna" (1978) nf Fhcrezna'f nqbcgvir sngure,
> Wbanguna Xrag. Tvir uvf svefg anzr.
>
> D2. John Ford holds the record for winning the most Best
> Director Oscars. Name any one of the 4 movies he won for.
>

> * E. American History Fords
>
> E1. This Ford shot the outlaw Jesse James in the back in 1882.
> Give his first name.
>
> E2. Before becoming vice-president (and then president), Gerald
> Ford was a congressman for 25 years -- representing what
> state?

Michigan

> * F. Ford Motor Co. Friends and Family
>
> F1. Who is the great-grandson of Henry Ford, who """currently"""
> serves as the executive chairman of Ford Motor Company?
> *Note:* If the position has changed, you may name the
> current holder only if that person is related to Henry Ford.
>
> F2. Another great-grandfather of <answer F1> was a close friend
> and business associate of Henry Ford. He was an
> industrialist whose products were sold with Ford's cars.
> He frequently vacationed with Henry Ford and Thomas Edison.
> Who was he?
>
> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Va nafjre S1,
> jr arrq gur svefg, zvqqyr, naq ynfg anzr. Vs lbh qvq abg tvir nyy
> guerr, cyrnfr tb onpx naq pbzcyrgr gur nafjre.

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 3, Rounds 9-10: school movies, other Fords

<tu8ulu$pg9$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4587&group=rec.games.trivia#4587

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2023 03:16:14 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Wed, 8 Mar 2023 03:16 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 3, Round 9 - Entertainment - Be True to Your School

> 1. Rydell High, 1978. "Tell me more!"

Grease

> 2. Eastside High, 2003. "Getcher head in the game!"

High School Musical

> 3. Dawson High School, 1955. "They called me chicken!"

Blackboard Jungle

> 4. Shermer High School, 1985. A brain, an athlete, a basket case...

The Breakfast Club

> 5. Padua High School, 1999. Loosely based on "The Taming of
> the Shrew".

10 Things I Hate About You

> 6. Beverly Hills High School, 1995. Loosely based on Jane Austen's
> "Emma".

Clueless

> 7. Westerberg High School, 1988. A volatile student body, in a
> myriad of ways.

Heathers

> 8. North Quay Secondary School, 1967. Song lyric: "How do you
> thank someone who's taken you from crayons to perfume?"

Rock and Roll High School

> 9. Dancing Elk High School, 2007.
> "Your parents are probably wondering where you are."
> "Nah... I'm already pregnant, so what other kind of shenanigans
> could I get into?

Juno

> 10. North Manual High, 1955.
> "How will they ever graduate?"
> "Graduate? They just get to be 18. Then they throw them out
> to make room for more of the same kind."

Blackboard Jungle

> ** Game 3, Round 10 - Challenge Round - The Other Fords

> * A. Sports Fords

> A1. This Ford, a left-hander, pitched for the Yankees 1950-67.
> His 236 wins as a Yankee are still the team's all-time
> record. He was part of the broadcasts for both the first
> Toronto Blue Jays game in 1977 and the last game at the
> original Yankee Stadium in 2008. Give his first name
> or nickname.

Whitey

> A2. Ford Field """is""" home to what major-league sports team?
> Full name required, like "Toronto Raptors".

Detroit Lions; Detroit Tigers

> * B. Geografords

> In each case, name the place.

> B1. This is a county in Ireland's sunny southeast, and a city
> there known for china and crystalware.

Waterford

> B2. This city on the Connecticut River prospered from the
> firearms industry in the 19th century, and the insurance
> industry in the 20th.

Hartford

> * C. Henry Ford's Materials Science

> C1. In the 1920s, when Henry Ford learned of a process for
> turning wood scraps from his factories into a consumer
> product, he started a company with relative E.G. Kingsford
> to produce and market it. You can still find Kingsford
> brand products in grocery and hardware stores. What does
> Kingsford make?

charcoal briquettes

> C2. Henry Ford had an interest in industrial uses of agricultural
> products. He worked with George Washington Carver to
> develop paints and plastics derived from what crop?

peanuts

> * D. Movie Fords

> D2. John Ford holds the record for winning the most Best
> Director Oscars. Name any one of the 4 movies he won for.

Stagecoach

> * E. American History Fords

> E1. This Ford shot the outlaw Jesse James in the back in 1882.
> Give his first name.

Robert

> E2. Before becoming vice-president (and then president), Gerald
> Ford was a congressman for 25 years -- representing what
> state?

Michigan

> * F. Ford Motor Co. Friends and Family

> F1. Who is the great-grandson of Henry Ford, who """currently"""
> serves as the executive chairman of Ford Motor Company?
> *Note:* If the position has changed, you may name the
> current holder only if that person is related to Henry Ford.

Henry Ford IV

> F2. Another great-grandfather of <answer F1> was a close friend
> and business associate of Henry Ford. He was an
> industrialist whose products were sold with Ford's cars.
> He frequently vacationed with Henry Ford and Thomas Edison.
> Who was he?

Goodyear

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 3, Rounds 9-10: school movies, other Fords

<598d2f60-f981-4931-bf11-835efe5aa307n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4588&group=rec.games.trivia#4588

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2023 22:02:03 -0800 (PST)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Wed, 8 Mar 2023 06:02 UTC

On Tuesday, March 7, 2023 at 7:31:07 PM UTC-6, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 3, Round 9 - Entertainment - Be True to Your School
>
> We give you the name of the high school in a movie, the year of
> the film, and a clue. And you give us the movie title.
>
> 1. Rydell High, 1978. "Tell me more!"

"Grease"

> 2. Eastside High, 2003. "Getcher head in the game!"

"High School Musical"

> 3. Dawson High School, 1955. "They called me chicken!"

"Rebel Without a Cause"

> 4. Shermer High School, 1985. A brain, an athlete, a basket case...

"The Breakfast Club"

> 5. Padua High School, 1999. Loosely based on "The Taming of
> the Shrew".

"10 Things I Hate About You"

> 6. Beverly Hills High School, 1995. Loosely based on Jane Austen's
> "Emma".

"Clueless"

> 7. Westerberg High School, 1988. A volatile student body, in a
> myriad of ways.

"Heathers"

> 8. North Quay Secondary School, 1967. Song lyric: "How do you
> thank someone who's taken you from crayons to perfume?"

"To Sir with Love"

> 9. Dancing Elk High School, 2007.
> "Your parents are probably wondering where you are."
> "Nah... I'm already pregnant, so what other kind of shenanigans
> could I get into?

"Juno"

> 10. North Manual High, 1955.
> "How will they ever graduate?"
> "Graduate? They just get to be 18. Then they throw them out
> to make room for more of the same kind."

"The Blackboard Jungle"

> ** Game 3, Round 10 - Challenge Round - The Other Fords
>
> * A. Sports Fords
>
> A1. This Ford, a left-hander, pitched for the Yankees 1950-67.
> His 236 wins as a Yankee are still the team's all-time
> record. He was part of the broadcasts for both the first
> Toronto Blue Jays game in 1977 and the last game at the
> original Yankee Stadium in 2008. Give his first name
> or nickname.

Whitey

> A2. Ford Field """is""" home to what major-league sports team?
> Full name required, like "Toronto Raptors".

Detroit Lions

> * B. Geografords
>
> In each case, name the place.
>
> B1. This is a county in Ireland's sunny southeast, and a city
> there known for china and crystalware.

Waterford
> B2. This city on the Connecticut River prospered from the
> firearms industry in the 19th century, and the insurance
> industry in the 20th.

Hartford

> * C. Henry Ford's Materials Science
>
> C1. In the 1920s, when Henry Ford learned of a process for
> turning wood scraps from his factories into a consumer
> product, he started a company with relative E.G. Kingsford
> to produce and market it. You can still find Kingsford
> brand products in grocery and hardware stores. What does
> Kingsford make?

charcoal

> C2. Henry Ford had an interest in industrial uses of agricultural
> products. He worked with George Washington Carver to
> develop paints and plastics derived from what crop?

peanuts

> * D. Movie Fords
>
> D1. Please decode the rot13 for this question only after you have
> finished with Round 9. Guvf npgvat Sbeq jnf obea va Dhrorp
> Pvgl va 1916. Ur nccrnerq va qbmraf bs jrfgreaf naq va
> "Oynpxobneq Whatyr", naq ur jba n Tbyqra Tybor sbe Orfg
> Npgbe va "Cbpxrgshy bs Zvenpyrf". Ur unq n fhccbegvat
> ebyr va "Fhcrezna" (1978) nf Fhcrezna'f nqbcgvir sngure,
> Wbanguna Xrag. Tvir uvf svefg anzr.

Glenn

> D2. John Ford holds the record for winning the most Best
> Director Oscars. Name any one of the 4 movies he won for.

"The Grapes of Wrath"

> * E. American History Fords
>
> E1. This Ford shot the outlaw Jesse James in the back in 1882.
> Give his first name.

Robert

> E2. Before becoming vice-president (and then president), Gerald
> Ford was a congressman for 25 years -- representing what
> state?

Michigan

> * F. Ford Motor Co. Friends and Family
>
> F1. Who is the great-grandson of Henry Ford, who """currently"""
> serves as the executive chairman of Ford Motor Company?
> *Note:* If the position has changed, you may name the
> current holder only if that person is related to Henry Ford.

William Clay Ford

> F2. Another great-grandfather of <answer F1> was a close friend
> and business associate of Henry Ford. He was an
> industrialist whose products were sold with Ford's cars.
> He frequently vacationed with Henry Ford and Thomas Edison.
> Who was he?

Firestone

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Va nafjre S1,
> jr arrq gur svefg, zvqqyr, naq ynfg anzr. Vs lbh qvq abg tvir nyy
> guerr, cyrnfr tb onpx naq pbzcyrgr gur nafjre.

Zvqqyr anzr nqqrq.

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 3, Rounds 9-10: school movies, other Fords

<tubtaj$1as2i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4589&group=rec.games.trivia#4589

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2023 00:11:32 -0600
 by: Pete Gayde - Thu, 9 Mar 2023 06:11 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-01-27,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Cellar Rats, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
> answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 3, Round 9 - Entertainment - Be True to Your School
>
> We give you the name of the high school in a movie, the year of
> the film, and a clue. And you give us the movie title.
>
> 1. Rydell High, 1978. "Tell me more!"

Grease

> 2. Eastside High, 2003. "Getcher head in the game!"

Hoosiers

> 3. Dawson High School, 1955. "They called me chicken!"

Concrete Jungle

> 4. Shermer High School, 1985. A brain, an athlete, a basket case...

Say Anything

> 5. Padua High School, 1999. Loosely based on "The Taming of
> the Shrew".
>
> 6. Beverly Hills High School, 1995. Loosely based on Jane Austen's
> "Emma".
>
> 7. Westerberg High School, 1988. A volatile student body, in a
> myriad of ways.

Breakfast Club

> 8. North Quay Secondary School, 1967. Song lyric: "How do you
> thank someone who's taken you from crayons to perfume?"

Where the Boys Are

> 9. Dancing Elk High School, 2007.
> "Your parents are probably wondering where you are."
> "Nah... I'm already pregnant, so what other kind of shenanigans
> could I get into?
>
> 10. North Manual High, 1955.
> "How will they ever graduate?"
> "Graduate? They just get to be 18. Then they throw them out
> to make room for more of the same kind."

Concrete Jungle

> ** Game 3, Round 10 - Challenge Round - The Other Fords
>
> * A. Sports Fords
>
> A1. This Ford, a left-hander, pitched for the Yankees 1950-67.
> His 236 wins as a Yankee are still the team's all-time
> record. He was part of the broadcasts for both the first
> Toronto Blue Jays game in 1977 and the last game at the
> original Yankee Stadium in 2008. Give his first name
> or nickname.

Whitey

> A2. Ford Field """is""" home to what major-league sports team?
> Full name required, like "Toronto Raptors".

Detroit Lions

> * B. Geografords
>
> In each case, name the place.
>
> B1. This is a county in Ireland's sunny southeast, and a city
> there known for china and crystalware.

Waterford

> B2. This city on the Connecticut River prospered from the
> firearms industry in the 19th century, and the insurance
> industry in the 20th.

Hartford

> * C. Henry Ford's Materials Science
>
> C1. In the 1920s, when Henry Ford learned of a process for
> turning wood scraps from his factories into a consumer
> product, he started a company with relative E.G. Kingsford
> to produce and market it. You can still find Kingsford
> brand products in grocery and hardware stores. What does
> Kingsford make?

Charcoal

> C2. Henry Ford had an interest in industrial uses of agricultural
> products. He worked with George Washington Carver to
> develop paints and plastics derived from what crop?

Peanuts

> * D. Movie Fords
>
> D1. Please decode the rot13 for this question only after you have
> finished with Round 9. Guvf npgvat Sbeq jnf obea va Dhrorp
> Pvgl va 1916. Ur nccrnerq va qbmraf bs jrfgreaf naq va
> "Oynpxobneq Whatyr", naq ur jba n Tbyqra Tybor sbe Orfg
> Npgbe va "Cbpxrgshy bs Zvenpyrf". Ur unq n fhccbegvat
> ebyr va "Fhcrezna" (1978) nf Fhcrezna'f nqbcgvir sngure,
> Wbanguna Xrag. Tvir uvf svefg anzr.

Glenn

> D2. John Ford holds the record for winning the most Best
> Director Oscars. Name any one of the 4 movies he won for.

The Searchers

> * E. American History Fords
>
> E1. This Ford shot the outlaw Jesse James in the back in 1882.
> Give his first name.
>
> E2. Before becoming vice-president (and then president), Gerald
> Ford was a congressman for 25 years -- representing what
> state?

Michigan

> * F. Ford Motor Co. Friends and Family
>
> F1. Who is the great-grandson of Henry Ford, who """currently"""
> serves as the executive chairman of Ford Motor Company?
> *Note:* If the position has changed, you may name the
> current holder only if that person is related to Henry Ford.

Bill Clay Ford

> F2. Another great-grandfather of <answer F1> was a close friend
> and business associate of Henry Ford. He was an
> industrialist whose products were sold with Ford's cars.
> He frequently vacationed with Henry Ford and Thomas Edison.
> Who was he?

Goodyear

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Va nafjre S1,
> jr arrq gur svefg, zvqqyr, naq ynfg anzr. Vs lbh qvq abg tvir nyy
> guerr, cyrnfr tb onpx naq pbzcyrgr gur nafjre.

Pete Gayde

RQFTCICR14 Game 3, Rounds 9-10 answers: school movies, other Fords

<l2-dnX2tz95ckZH5nZ2dnZfqnPSdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4591&group=rec.games.trivia#4591

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCICR14 Game 3, Rounds 9-10 answers: school movies, other Fords
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2023 05:08:17 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 11 Mar 2023 05:08 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-01-27,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2022-09-09 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

Game 3 is over and JOSHUA KREITZER is the winner.
Hearty congratulations!

> ** Game 3, Round 9 - Entertainment - Be True to Your School

> We give you the name of the high school in a movie, the year of
> the film, and a clue. And you give us the movie title.

> 1. Rydell High, 1978. "Tell me more!"

"Grease". 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Pete.

> 2. Eastside High, 2003. "Getcher head in the game!"

"High School Musical". 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 3. Dawson High School, 1955. "They called me chicken!"

"Rebel Without a Cause". 4 for Joshua.

> 4. Shermer High School, 1985. A brain, an athlete, a basket case...

"The Breakfast Club". 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 5. Padua High School, 1999. Loosely based on "The Taming of
> the Shrew".

"10 Things I Hate about You". 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 6. Beverly Hills High School, 1995. Loosely based on Jane Austen's
> "Emma".

"Clueless". 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 7. Westerberg High School, 1988. A volatile student body, in a
> myriad of ways.

"Heathers". 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 8. North Quay Secondary School, 1967. Song lyric: "How do you
> thank someone who's taken you from crayons to perfume?"

"To Sir, with Love". 4 for Dan Tilque and Joshua.

> 9. Dancing Elk High School, 2007.
> "Your parents are probably wondering where you are."
> "Nah... I'm already pregnant, so what other kind of shenanigans
> could I get into?

"Juno". 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 10. North Manual High, 1955.
> "How will they ever graduate?"
> "Graduate? They just get to be 18. Then they throw them out
> to make room for more of the same kind."

"Blackboard Jungle". 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

There have been a couple of movies titled "The Concrete Jungle",
but they were about prisons, not schools.

> ** Game 3, Round 10 - Challenge Round - The Other Fords

> * A. Sports Fords

> A1. This Ford, a left-hander, pitched for the Yankees 1950-67.
> His 236 wins as a Yankee are still the team's all-time
> record. He was part of the broadcasts for both the first
> Toronto Blue Jays game in 1977 and the last game at the
> original Yankee Stadium in 2008. Give his first name
> or nickname.

Edward, "Whitey". 4 for everyone -- Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Joshua,
and Pete.

> A2. Ford Field """is""" home to what major-league sports team?
> Full name required, like "Toronto Raptors".

Detroit Lions (NFL). (Still true.) 4 for Joshua and Pete.
3 for Dan Blum.

The home of Detroit's other feline-named major-league team, the
Tigers, is Comerica Park.

> * B. Geografords

> In each case, name the place.

> B1. This is a county in Ireland's sunny southeast, and a city
> there known for china and crystalware.

Waterford. 4 for everyone.

> B2. This city on the Connecticut River prospered from the
> firearms industry in the 19th century, and the insurance
> industry in the 20th.

Hartford. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Pete.

> * C. Henry Ford's Materials Science

> C1. In the 1920s, when Henry Ford learned of a process for
> turning wood scraps from his factories into a consumer
> product, he started a company with relative E.G. Kingsford
> to produce and market it. You can still find Kingsford
> brand products in grocery and hardware stores. What does
> Kingsford make?

Charcoal. 4 for everyone.

> C2. Henry Ford had an interest in industrial uses of agricultural
> products. He worked with George Washington Carver to
> develop paints and plastics derived from what crop?

Soybeans.

> * D. Movie Fords

> D1. Please decode the rot13 for this question only after you have
> finished with Round 9. This acting Ford was born in Quebec
> City in 1916. He appeared in dozens of westerns and in
> "Blackboard Jungle", and he won a Golden Globe for Best
> Actor in "Pocketful of Miracles". He had a supporting
> role in "Superman" (1978) as Superman's adoptive father,
> Jonathan Kent. Give his first name.

Glenn. 4 for Joshua and Pete.

> D2. John Ford holds the record for winning the most Best
> Director Oscars. Name any one of the 4 movies he won for.

"The Informer" (1935), "The Grapes of Wrath" (1940), "How Green was
My Valley" (1941), "The Quiet Man" (1952). 4 for Joshua.

"Stagecoach" was indeed Oscar-nominated, but that came out in 1939
and had to compete against "Gone with the Wind"; Victor Fleming won.
"The Searchers" (1956) was not nominated for any Oscars.

> * E. American History Fords

> E1. This Ford shot the outlaw Jesse James in the back in 1882.
> Give his first name.

Robert. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> E2. Before becoming vice-president (and then president), Gerald
> Ford was a congressman for 25 years -- representing what
> state?

Michigan. 4 for everyone.

> * F. Ford Motor Co. Friends and Family

> F1. Who is the great-grandson of Henry Ford, who """currently"""
> serves as the executive chairman of Ford Motor Company?
> *Note:* If the position has changed, you may name the
> current holder only if that person is related to Henry Ford.

William (Bill) Clay Ford Jr. (Still true. "Clay" was required,
but not "Jr.") 4 for Joshua and Pete.

> F2. Another great-grandfather of <answer F1> was a close friend
> and business associate of Henry Ford. He was an
> industrialist whose products were sold with Ford's cars.
> He frequently vacationed with Henry Ford and Thomas Edison.
> Who was he?

Harvey Firestone. 4 for Joshua.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 3 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Can Art S+L His Sci Art Ent Cha SIX
Joshua Kreitzer 11 18 24 36 20 28 40 44 192
Dan Blum 4 12 12 36 28 32 32 27 167
Pete Gayde 6 5 -- -- 11 30 4 32 88
Dan Tilque 0 0 8 20 36 4 4 16 88
Erland Sommarskog -- -- 0 12 30 16 -- -- 58

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Asteroid Nearly Misses Earth"
msb@vex.net | --Washington Post, June 24, 2002