interests / rec.games.trivia / Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 3, Rounds 7-8 answers: electricity and architects

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCICR14 Game 3, Rounds 7-8: electricity and architectsMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 3, Rounds 7-8: electricity and architectsDan Tilque
+- Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 3, Rounds 7-8: electricity and architectsJoshua Kreitzer
+* Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 3, Rounds 7-8: electricity and architectsErland Sommarskog
|`- Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 3, Rounds 7-8: electricity and architectsMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 3, Rounds 7-8: electricity and architectsDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 3, Rounds 7-8: electricity and architectsPete Gayde
`- Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 3, Rounds 7-8 answers: electricity and architectsMark Brader

1
RQFTCICR14 Game 3, Rounds 7-8: electricity and architects

<mP2cnQYV4c7IR575nZ2dnZfqn_GdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4568&group=rec.games.trivia#4568

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCICR14 Game 3, Rounds 7-8: electricity and architects
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2023 23:55:01 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 4 Mar 2023 23:55 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-01-27,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Cellar Rats, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 3, Round 7 - Science - Basic Electricity

1. What Greek letter is used to represent the unit of electrical
resistance? (Give the name of the letter in English.)

2. A milliampere represents how many amperes (amps)?

3. What is the voltage of a typical household AC current (as
provided in a typical duplex receptacle)?

4. How many amperes is a typical household circuit designed
to carry?

5. What is the nominal voltage of a typical dry-cell battery (for
example AA)?

6. How many volts is a megavolt?

7. The resistance of a conductor (that is, a specific piece of
conducting material) is determined by four factors:
the substance, the cross-sectional area, and two others.
Name either one.

8. At extremely low temperatures, electrical resistance in some
materials falls to near zero. What is this effect called?

9. The watt is the metric unit of power. Within 10% of the true
number, how many watts are there in 1 horsepower?

10. Watts (of power) are the product of which two electrical units?

* Game 3, Round 8 - Arts - Famous Architects

For each of the architects described, please identify which picture
on the handout

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/3-8/arc.jpg

shows one of his works. (Yes, "his"; sorry, but they're all men.)

Note: the work shown on the handout *may or may not* be mentioned in
the question. If you want to show off for fun, but for no points
(and with no risk), you can also try naming the work shown or
telling where it's located.

1. Moshe Safdie (1938-) -- this Canadian/Israeli/American is
most identified with Habitat 67, but has produced a large body of
international work. He apprenticed with Louis Khan and is known
for the use of strong geometry. In Canada, notable projects
would include the Museum of Civilization in Quebec City, the
National Gallery of Canada, additions to the Montreal Museum
of Fine Arts, and even the 45-story Pantages Tower in Toronto.

2. Antonio Gaudí (1852-1926) -- born in Catalonia, Spain. Gaudí's
works reflect his highly individualistic, organic style, inspired
by nature. He asserted that the straight line belonged to men
and the curved one to God, and invented a system of hyperboloids.
His masterpiece is the """still unfinished""" Sagrada Família.
His designs were never purely geometrical and always preserved a
close tie with familiar living shapes, such as bones and muscles.

3. Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959) -- he apprenticed under Louis
Sullivan in Chicago, but soon became famous as the originator
of the Prairie Style of architecture. He went on to produce an
amazing number of works, including buildings, furniture, fabric,
and stained glass. His constantly evolving style was always
true to his core beliefs in honesty of materials, geometry,
and structural innovation. His most famous projects include
the residence Fallingwater, the Guggenheim Museum in New York,
his Taliesin schools, buildings for the Johnson Wax Company,
and numerous churches and synagogues.

4. Ludwig Mies van der Rohe (1886-1969) -- born in Germany, he came
to the US in 1937. Known for his minimalist, "less is more"
architecture and the use of glass and structural steel in
high-rise towers such as the Seagram building in New York and
the Toronto-Dominion Centre. He also designed famous furniture.
He taught at the Illinois Institute of Technology, where he
executed his first major designs.

5. I.M. Pei (1917-) -- born in China, he came to the US to study
architecture. His works incorporated a unique use of geometric
forms and Chinese influences. He has worked around the world and
his most famous projects include the JFK Library in Boston, the
Bank of China Tower in Hong Kong, and additions to the Louvre.

6. Philip Johnson (1906-2005) -- founder of the Department of
Architecture and Design at the Museum of Modern Art in New York.
He collaborated with Mies on the Seagram Building in New York,
and his 1949 glass house in Connecticut has become iconic.
Later he adopted Minimalist and Pop Art styles and his postmodern
AT&T (Sony) building in New York shocked many in 1984. He is
also credited with the design of the CBC building in Toronto.

7. Alvar Aalto (1898-1976) -- Finnish architect and designer, as
well as a sculptor and painter. His work includes architecture,
furniture, glassware, and textiles. He became known for his
"organic modernism", and his Finnish pavilion for the 1939
World's Fair was declared a work of genius by Frank Lloyd
Wright. Much of his work was in his native Finland, but he
later branched out to Europe and the world. He is equally
famous for the curved wood furniture and objects he designed.

8. Oscar Niemeyer (1907-2012) -- Brazil's most famous architect,
he was greatly influenced by Le Corbusier and made strong use of
abstract forms and curves. He is best known for the design of
all the main public buildings of Brasilia (the then-new capital
of Brazil), as well as collaboration with other architects on
the United Nations headquarters in New York.

9. Le Corbusier (1887-1965) -- born Charles Édouard Jeanneret in
Switzerland. From the 1920s on, he adopted the name Le Corbusier
and became the dominant figure in architecture in the middle of
the last century. Also a painter and famous for his furniture
designs, he developed a system of proportions based on the Golden
Section. His favorite building material was poured concrete.
His most famous buildings are Villa Savoye, Unité d'Habitation
(Marseille), the cathedral at Ronchamp, and government buildings
in Chandigarh, India.

10. Frank Gehry (1929-) -- born in Toronto, he has been based
in Los Angeles since 1947. He is able to manipulate forms
and surfaces in a truly unique way, and was named by Vanity
Fair as the most important architect of our age. His first
building of note was his private residence; his best known
works include the titanium-covered museum in Bilbao, Spain,
the Walt Disney Concert Hall in L.A., and the AGO in Toronto.

There were 5 decoys, two of which were buildings designed by firms
rather than individual architects. If you like, for fun but for
no points, decode the rot13 to see the remaining architects or
firms and identify their work.

11. Crqre Wrafra-Xyvag (1853-1930).
12. Gbz Jevtug (1957-).
13. Mnun Unqvq (1950-).
14. Nssyrpx, Qrfonengf, Qvznxbcbhybf, Yrorafbyq, Fvfr.
15. Qvnzbaq & Zlref.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "This is a film of non-stop action
msb@vex.net | and non-start intelligence." --Mark Leeper

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 3, Rounds 7-8: electricity and architects

<tu0o6m$13ota$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4569&group=rec.games.trivia#4569

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2023 16:36:38 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Sun, 5 Mar 2023 00:36 UTC

On 3/4/23 15:55, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 7 - Science - Basic Electricity
>
> 1. What Greek letter is used to represent the unit of electrical
> resistance? (Give the name of the letter in English.)

omega

> 2. A milliampere represents how many amperes (amps)?

1/1000

> 3. What is the voltage of a typical household AC current (as
> provided in a typical duplex receptacle)?

110 V

> 4. How many amperes is a typical household circuit designed
> to carry?

15

9

> 6. How many volts is a megavolt?

1,000,000

> 7. The resistance of a conductor (that is, a specific piece of
> conducting material) is determined by four factors:
> the substance, the cross-sectional area, and two others.
> Name either one.

length

> 8. At extremely low temperatures, electrical resistance in some
> materials falls to near zero. What is this effect called?

superconductivity

> 9. The watt is the metric unit of power. Within 10% of the true
> number, how many watts are there in 1 horsepower?

770

> 10. Watts (of power) are the product of which two electrical units?

volts and amps

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 3, Rounds 7-8: electricity and architects

<c3d9b21b-81ad-4caa-861c-e9ec1a9ce582n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4570&group=rec.games.trivia#4570

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2023 17:41:23 -0800 (PST)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Sun, 5 Mar 2023 01:41 UTC

On Saturday, March 4, 2023 at 5:55:12 PM UTC-6, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 7 - Science - Basic Electricity
>
> 1. What Greek letter is used to represent the unit of electrical
> resistance? (Give the name of the letter in English.)

omega
> 2. A milliampere represents how many amperes (amps)?

0.001

> 3. What is the voltage of a typical household AC current (as
> provided in a typical duplex receptacle)?

110 volts

> 6. How many volts is a megavolt?

1,000,000
> 8. At extremely low temperatures, electrical resistance in some
> materials falls to near zero. What is this effect called?

superconductivity
> * Game 3, Round 8 - Arts - Famous Architects
>
> For each of the architects described, please identify which picture
> on the handout
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/3-8/arc.jpg
>
> shows one of his works. (Yes, "his"; sorry, but they're all men.)
>
> Note: the work shown on the handout *may or may not* be mentioned in
> the question. If you want to show off for fun, but for no points
> (and with no risk), you can also try naming the work shown or
> telling where it's located.
>
> 1. Moshe Safdie (1938-) -- this Canadian/Israeli/American is
> most identified with Habitat 67, but has produced a large body of
> international work. He apprenticed with Louis Khan and is known
> for the use of strong geometry. In Canada, notable projects
> would include the Museum of Civilization in Quebec City, the
> National Gallery of Canada, additions to the Montreal Museum
> of Fine Arts, and even the 45-story Pantages Tower in Toronto.

E; J

> [...]

> 7. Alvar Aalto (1898-1976) -- Finnish architect and designer, as
> well as a sculptor and painter. His work includes architecture,
> furniture, glassware, and textiles. He became known for his
> "organic modernism", and his Finnish pavilion for the 1939
> World's Fair was declared a work of genius by Frank Lloyd
> Wright. Much of his work was in his native Finland, but he
> later branched out to Europe and the world. He is equally
> famous for the curved wood furniture and objects he designed.

> 8. Oscar Niemeyer (1907-2012) -- Brazil's most famous architect,
> he was greatly influenced by Le Corbusier and made strong use of
> abstract forms and curves. He is best known for the design of
> all the main public buildings of Brasilia (the then-new capital
> of Brazil), as well as collaboration with other architects on
> the United Nations headquarters in New York.

B; F
> 9. Le Corbusier (1887-1965) -- born Charles Édouard Jeanneret in
> Switzerland. From the 1920s on, he adopted the name Le Corbusier
> and became the dominant figure in architecture in the middle of
> the last century. Also a painter and famous for his furniture
> designs, he developed a system of proportions based on the Golden
> Section. His favorite building material was poured concrete.
> His most famous buildings are Villa Savoye, Unité d'Habitation
> (Marseille), the cathedral at Ronchamp, and government buildings
> in Chandigarh, India.

D; B

> 10. Frank Gehry (1929-) -- born in Toronto, he has been based
> in Los Angeles since 1947. He is able to manipulate forms
> and surfaces in a truly unique way, and was named by Vanity
> Fair as the most important architect of our age. His first
> building of note was his private residence; his best known
> works include the titanium-covered museum in Bilbao, Spain,
> the Walt Disney Concert Hall in L.A., and the AGO in Toronto.

Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 3, Rounds 7-8: electricity and architects

<XnsAFBE810237ECDYazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4571&group=rec.games.trivia#4571

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2023 12:40:55 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Sun, 5 Mar 2023 11:40 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 3, Round 7 - Science - Basic Electricity
>
> 1. What Greek letter is used to represent the unit of electrical
> resistance? (Give the name of the letter in English.)

Omega
> 2. A milliampere represents how many amperes (amps)?

0.001
> 3. What is the voltage of a typical household AC current (as
> provided in a typical duplex receptacle)?

In a typical Swedish household it is 230 V. In Toronto households,
it might be 110 V. But I would not count them as typical.
> 4. How many amperes is a typical household circuit designed
> to carry?

A modern Swedish circuit should withstand 10A.
> 5. What is the nominal voltage of a typical dry-cell battery (for
> example AA)?

1.5V
> 6. How many volts is a megavolt?

One million

> 7. The resistance of a conductor (that is, a specific piece of
> conducting material) is determined by four factors:
> the substance, the cross-sectional area, and two others.
> Name either one.

How it is twinned

> 8. At extremely low temperatures, electrical resistance in some
> materials falls to near zero. What is this effect called?

Superconductivity
> 9. The watt is the metric unit of power. Within 10% of the true
> number, how many watts are there in 1 horsepower?

760
> 10. Watts (of power) are the product of which two electrical units?

Volt * Ampere
> [...]

> the last century. Also a painter and famous for his furniture
> designs, he developed a system of proportions based on the Golden
> Section. His favorite building material was poured concrete.
> His most famous buildings are Villa Savoye, Unité d'Habitation
> (Marseille), the cathedral at Ronchamp, and government buildings
> in Chandigarh, India.

> 10. Frank Gehry (1929-) -- born in Toronto, he has been based
> in Los Angeles since 1947. He is able to manipulate forms
> and surfaces in a truly unique way, and was named by Vanity
> Fair as the most important architect of our age. His first
> building of note was his private residence; his best known
> works include the titanium-covered museum in Bilbao, Spain,
> the Walt Disney Concert Hall in L.A., and the AGO in Toronto.

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 3, Rounds 7-8: electricity and architects

<4ZWcnaFlsoe9H5n5nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4572&group=rec.games.trivia#4572

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2023 11:50:56 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sun, 5 Mar 2023 11:50 UTC

Mark Brader:
> > 3. What is the voltage of a typical household AC current (as
> > provided in a typical duplex receptacle)?
Erland Sommarskog:
> In a typical Swedish household it is 230 V. In Toronto households,
> it might be 110 V. But I would not count them as typical.

I will score this as two guesses, 230 V and 110 V.
--
Mark Brader | this take
Toronto | "If is shall really to
| -- Piglet ("Winnie-the-Pooh", A.A. Milne)

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 3, Rounds 7-8: electricity and architects

<tu2bpl$rqq$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4573&group=rec.games.trivia#4573

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2023 15:17:09 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Sun, 5 Mar 2023 15:17 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 7 - Science - Basic Electricity

> 1. What Greek letter is used to represent the unit of electrical
> resistance? (Give the name of the letter in English.)

omega

> 2. A milliampere represents how many amperes (amps)?

1/1000

> 3. What is the voltage of a typical household AC current (as
> provided in a typical duplex receptacle)?

110

> 5. What is the nominal voltage of a typical dry-cell battery (for
> example AA)?

1.5

> 6. How many volts is a megavolt?

one million

> 7. The resistance of a conductor (that is, a specific piece of
> conducting material) is determined by four factors:
> the substance, the cross-sectional area, and two others.
> Name either one.

temperature

> 8. At extremely low temperatures, electrical resistance in some
> materials falls to near zero. What is this effect called?

superconductivity

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Arts - Famous Architects

> 1. Moshe Safdie (1938-) -- this Canadian/Israeli/American is
> most identified with Habitat 67, but has produced a large body of
> international work. He apprenticed with Louis Khan and is known
> for the use of strong geometry. In Canada, notable projects
> would include the Museum of Civilization in Quebec City, the
> National Gallery of Canada, additions to the Montreal Museum
> of Fine Arts, and even the 45-story Pantages Tower in Toronto.

> 2. Antonio Gaud? (1852-1926) -- born in Catalonia, Spain. Gaud?'s
> works reflect his highly individualistic, organic style, inspired
> by nature. He asserted that the straight line belonged to men
> and the curved one to God, and invented a system of hyperboloids.
> His masterpiece is the """still unfinished""" Sagrada Fam?lia.
> His designs were never purely geometrical and always preserved a
> close tie with familiar living shapes, such as bones and muscles.

> 3. Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959) -- he apprenticed under Louis
> Sullivan in Chicago, but soon became famous as the originator
> of the Prairie Style of architecture. He went on to produce an
> amazing number of works, including buildings, furniture, fabric,
> and stained glass. His constantly evolving style was always
> true to his core beliefs in honesty of materials, geometry,
> and structural innovation. His most famous projects include
> the residence Fallingwater, the Guggenheim Museum in New York,
> his Taliesin schools, buildings for the Johnson Wax Company,
> and numerous churches and synagogues.

B; A

> 4. Ludwig Mies van der Rohe (1886-1969) -- born in Germany, he came
> to the US in 1937. Known for his minimalist, "less is more"
> architecture and the use of glass and structural steel in
> high-rise towers such as the Seagram building in New York and
> the Toronto-Dominion Centre. He also designed famous furniture.
> He taught at the Illinois Institute of Technology, where he
> executed his first major designs.

> 5. I.M. Pei (1917-) -- born in China, he came to the US to study
> architecture. His works incorporated a unique use of geometric
> forms and Chinese influences. He has worked around the world and
> his most famous projects include the JFK Library in Boston, the
> Bank of China Tower in Hong Kong, and additions to the Louvre.

> 6. Philip Johnson (1906-2005) -- founder of the Department of
> Architecture and Design at the Museum of Modern Art in New York.
> He collaborated with Mies on the Seagram Building in New York,
> and his 1949 glass house in Connecticut has become iconic.
> Later he adopted Minimalist and Pop Art styles and his postmodern
> AT&T (Sony) building in New York shocked many in 1984. He is
> also credited with the design of the CBC building in Toronto.

> 7. Alvar Aalto (1898-1976) -- Finnish architect and designer, as
> well as a sculptor and painter. His work includes architecture,
> furniture, glassware, and textiles. He became known for his
> "organic modernism", and his Finnish pavilion for the 1939
> World's Fair was declared a work of genius by Frank Lloyd
> Wright. Much of his work was in his native Finland, but he
> later branched out to Europe and the world. He is equally
> famous for the curved wood furniture and objects he designed.

N; F

> 8. Oscar Niemeyer (1907-2012) -- Brazil's most famous architect,
> he was greatly influenced by Le Corbusier and made strong use of
> abstract forms and curves. He is best known for the design of
> all the main public buildings of Brasilia (the then-new capital
> of Brazil), as well as collaboration with other architects on
> the United Nations headquarters in New York.

E; L

> 9. Le Corbusier (1887-1965) -- born Charles ?douard Jeanneret in
> Switzerland. From the 1920s on, he adopted the name Le Corbusier
> and became the dominant figure in architecture in the middle of
> the last century. Also a painter and famous for his furniture
> designs, he developed a system of proportions based on the Golden
> Section. His favorite building material was poured concrete.
> His most famous buildings are Villa Savoye, Unit? d'Habitation
> (Marseille), the cathedral at Ronchamp, and government buildings
> in Chandigarh, India.

> 10. Frank Gehry (1929-) -- born in Toronto, he has been based
> in Los Angeles since 1947. He is able to manipulate forms
> and surfaces in a truly unique way, and was named by Vanity
> Fair as the most important architect of our age. His first
> building of note was his private residence; his best known
> works include the titanium-covered museum in Bilbao, Spain,
> the Walt Disney Concert Hall in L.A., and the AGO in Toronto.

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 3, Rounds 7-8: electricity and architects

<tu3jsc$1gbo9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4582&group=rec.games.trivia#4582

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2023 20:41:16 -0600
 by: Pete Gayde - Mon, 6 Mar 2023 02:41 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-01-27,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Cellar Rats, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
> answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 3, Round 7 - Science - Basic Electricity
>
> 1. What Greek letter is used to represent the unit of electrical
> resistance? (Give the name of the letter in English.)

Omega

> 2. A milliampere represents how many amperes (amps)?

0.001

> 3. What is the voltage of a typical household AC current (as
> provided in a typical duplex receptacle)?

120; 220

> 4. How many amperes is a typical household circuit designed
> to carry?

20

> 5. What is the nominal voltage of a typical dry-cell battery (for
> example AA)?

5; 9

> 6. How many volts is a megavolt?

1000

> [...]

> Architecture and Design at the Museum of Modern Art in New York.
> He collaborated with Mies on the Seagram Building in New York,
> and his 1949 glass house in Connecticut has become iconic.
> Later he adopted Minimalist and Pop Art styles and his postmodern
> AT&T (Sony) building in New York shocked many in 1984. He is
> also credited with the design of the CBC building in Toronto.

> 7. Alvar Aalto (1898-1976) -- Finnish architect and designer, as
> well as a sculptor and painter. His work includes architecture,
> furniture, glassware, and textiles. He became known for his
> "organic modernism", and his Finnish pavilion for the 1939
> World's Fair was declared a work of genius by Frank Lloyd
> Wright. Much of his work was in his native Finland, but he
> later branched out to Europe and the world. He is equally
> famous for the curved wood furniture and objects he designed.

E; B

> 8. Oscar Niemeyer (1907-2012) -- Brazil's most famous architect,
> he was greatly influenced by Le Corbusier and made strong use of
> abstract forms and curves. He is best known for the design of
> all the main public buildings of Brasilia (the then-new capital
> of Brazil), as well as collaboration with other architects on
> the United Nations headquarters in New York.

B; E

> 9. Le Corbusier (1887-1965) -- born Charles Édouard Jeanneret in
> Switzerland. From the 1920s on, he adopted the name Le Corbusier
> and became the dominant figure in architecture in the middle of
> the last century. Also a painter and famous for his furniture
> designs, he developed a system of proportions based on the Golden
> Section. His favorite building material was poured concrete.
> His most famous buildings are Villa Savoye, Unité d'Habitation
> (Marseille), the cathedral at Ronchamp, and government buildings
> in Chandigarh, India.

> 10. Frank Gehry (1929-) -- born in Toronto, he has been based
> in Los Angeles since 1947. He is able to manipulate forms
> and surfaces in a truly unique way, and was named by Vanity
> Fair as the most important architect of our age. His first
> building of note was his private residence; his best known
> works include the titanium-covered museum in Bilbao, Spain,
> the Walt Disney Concert Hall in L.A., and the AGO in Toronto.

> There were 5 decoys, two of which were buildings designed by firms
> rather than individual architects. If you like, for fun but for
> no points, decode the rot13 to see the remaining architects or
> firms and identify their work.
>
> 11. Crqre Wrafra-Xyvag (1853-1930).
> 12. Gbz Jevtug (1957-).
> 13. Mnun Unqvq (1950-).
> 14. Nssyrpx, Qrfonengf, Qvznxbcbhybf, Yrorafbyq, Fvfr.
> 15. Qvnzbaq & Zlref.

Pete Gayde

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 3, Rounds 7-8 answers: electricity and architects

<bdWcnRryCOsfeZr5nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4584&group=rec.games.trivia#4584

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 3, Rounds 7-8 answers: electricity and architects
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2023 01:27:30 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Wed, 8 Mar 2023 01:27 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-01-27,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2022-09-09 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 3, Round 7 - Science - Basic Electricity

> 1. What Greek letter is used to represent the unit of electrical
> resistance? (Give the name of the letter in English.)

Omega. 4 for everyone -- Dan Tilque, Joshua, Erland, Dan Blum,
and Pete.

> 2. A milliampere represents how many amperes (amps)?

1/1,000. 4 for everyone.

> 3. What is the voltage of a typical household AC current (as
> provided in a typical duplex receptacle)?

Accepting 110-120. "Typical", of course, means typical in Toronto.
4 for Dan Tilque, Joshua, and Dan Blum. 3 for Pete. 2 for Erland.

> 4. How many amperes is a typical household circuit designed
> to carry?

15. 4 for Dan Tilque.

In 2014 two different entrants misread the question as asking for
the electrical service to an entire house. Too bad. Nobody did
that this time.

> 5. What is the nominal voltage of a typical dry-cell battery (for
> example AA)?

1.5 V. 4 for Erland and Dan Blum.

> 6. How many volts is a megavolt?

1,000,000. 4 for Dan Tilque, Joshua, Erland, and Dan Blum.

> 7. The resistance of a conductor (that is, a specific piece of
> conducting material) is determined by four factors:
> the substance, the cross-sectional area, and two others.
> Name either one.

Length, temperature. 4 for Dan Tilque and Dan Blum.

> 8. At extremely low temperatures, electrical resistance in some
> materials falls to near zero. What is this effect called?

Superconductivity. 4 for Dan Tilque, Joshua, Erland, and Dan Blum.

> 9. The watt is the metric unit of power. Within 10% of the true
> number, how many watts are there in 1 horsepower?

746 (accepting 671-821). 4 for Dan Tilque and Erland.

Yes, the Cellar Rats did ask essentially the same question in
Game 7, Round 2, of the previous season that they wrote, a game
played originally on 2009-11-16 and posted here by me on 2010-03-03.
That time around you had to be within 50 W, though.

> 10. Watts (of power) are the product of which two electrical units?

Amperes (of current) times volts (of voltage, or potential difference
if you want to get fancy). 4 for Dan Tilque and Erland.

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Arts - Famous Architects

> For each of the architects described, please identify which picture
> on the handout

> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/3-8/arc.jpg

> shows one of his works. (Yes, "his"; sorry, but they're all men.)

> Note: the work shown on the handout *may or may not* be mentioned in
> the question. If you want to show off for fun, but for no points
> (and with no risk), you can also try naming the work shown or
> telling where it's located.

This was the easiest round in the original game.

> 1. Moshe Safdie (1938-) -- this Canadian/Israeli/American is
> most identified with Habitat 67, but has produced a large body of
> international work. He apprenticed with Louis Khan and is known
> for the use of strong geometry. In Canada, notable projects
> would include the Museum of Civilization in Quebec City, the
> National Gallery of Canada, additions to the Montreal Museum
> of Fine Arts, and even the 45-story Pantages Tower in Toronto.

J (Habitat 67, Montreal, QC, Canada). 4 for Dan Blum and Pete.
2 for Joshua.

> 2. Antonio Gaudí (1852-1926) -- born in Catalonia, Spain. Gaudí's
> works reflect his highly individualistic, organic style, inspired
> by nature. He asserted that the straight line belonged to men
> and the curved one to God, and invented a system of hyperboloids.
> His masterpiece is the """still unfinished""" Sagrada Família.
> His designs were never purely geometrical and always preserved a
> close tie with familiar living shapes, such as bones and muscles.

C (Batlló house, Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain). 4 for Joshua, Erland,
Dan Blum, and Pete.

As for the Sagrada Família, it should be more or less finished in
another 5-10 years. In 2019 they even got around to obtaining a
building permit -- they never had one for the first 137 years of work.

> 3. Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959) -- he apprenticed under Louis
> Sullivan in Chicago, but soon became famous as the originator
> of the Prairie Style of architecture. He went on to produce an
> amazing number of works, including buildings, furniture, fabric,
> and stained glass. His constantly evolving style was always
> true to his core beliefs in honesty of materials, geometry,
> and structural innovation. His most famous projects include
> the residence Fallingwater, the Guggenheim Museum in New York,
> his Taliesin schools, buildings for the Johnson Wax Company,
> and numerous churches and synagogues.

A (Unity Temple, Oak Park, IL, US). 4 for Joshua, Erland, and Pete.
2 for Dan Blum.

> 4. Ludwig Mies van der Rohe (1886-1969) -- born in Germany, he came
> to the US in 1937. Known for his minimalist, "less is more"
> architecture and the use of glass and structural steel in
> high-rise towers such as the Seagram building in New York and
> the Toronto-Dominion Centre. He also designed famous furniture.
> He taught at the Illinois Institute of Technology, where he
> executed his first major designs.

I (Crown Building, Chicago, IL, US). 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum,
and Pete.

> 5. I.M. Pei (1917-) -- born in China, he came to the US to study
> architecture. His works incorporated a unique use of geometric
> forms and Chinese influences. He has worked around the world and
> his most famous projects include the JFK Library in Boston, the
> Bank of China Tower in Hong Kong, and additions to the Louvre.

G (Louvre entrance pyramid -- it's in the foreground -- Paris,
France). 4 for everyone.

> 6. Philip Johnson (1906-2005) -- founder of the Department of
> Architecture and Design at the Museum of Modern Art in New York.
> He collaborated with Mies on the Seagram Building in New York,
> and his 1949 glass house in Connecticut has become iconic.
> Later he adopted Minimalist and Pop Art styles and his postmodern
> AT&T (Sony) building in New York shocked many in 1984. He is
> also credited with the design of the CBC building in Toronto.

M (glass house for himself, New Canaan, CT, US). 4 for Joshua,
Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 7. Alvar Aalto (1898-1976) -- Finnish architect and designer, as
> well as a sculptor and painter. His work includes architecture,
> furniture, glassware, and textiles. He became known for his
> "organic modernism", and his Finnish pavilion for the 1939
> World's Fair was declared a work of genius by Frank Lloyd
> Wright. Much of his work was in his native Finland, but he
> later branched out to Europe and the world. He is equally
> famous for the curved wood furniture and objects he designed.

N (a tea trolley). 4 for Erland. 3 for Dan Blum.

> 8. Oscar Niemeyer (1907-2012) -- Brazil's most famous architect,
> he was greatly influenced by Le Corbusier and made strong use of
> abstract forms and curves. He is best known for the design of
> all the main public buildings of Brasilia (the then-new capital
> of Brazil), as well as collaboration with other architects on
> the United Nations headquarters in New York.

E (Congress and ministry buildings, Brasilia). 3 for Dan Blum.
2 for Pete.

(Did you notice the artfully placed rainstorm in this photo?)

> 9. Le Corbusier (1887-1965) -- born Charles Édouard Jeanneret in
> Switzerland. From the 1920s on, he adopted the name Le Corbusier
> and became the dominant figure in architecture in the middle of
> the last century. Also a painter and famous for his furniture
> designs, he developed a system of proportions based on the Golden
> Section. His favorite building material was poured concrete.
> His most famous buildings are Villa Savoye, Unité d'Habitation
> (Marseille), the cathedral at Ronchamp, and government buildings
> in Chandigarh, India.

B (Unité d'Habitation). 2 for Joshua.

> 10. Frank Gehry (1929-) -- born in Toronto, he has been based
> in Los Angeles since 1947. He is able to manipulate forms
> and surfaces in a truly unique way, and was named by Vanity
> Fair as the most important architect of our age. His first
> building of note was his private residence; his best known
> works include the titanium-covered museum in Bilbao, Spain,
> the Walt Disney Concert Hall in L.A., and the AGO in Toronto.

K (Walt Disney Concert Hall, Los Angeles, CA, US). 4 for Joshua,
Dan Blum, and Pete.

The concave curved outer walls on this building originally had a
mirror-like finish, but this proved problematic for some positions
of the Sun, as they focused intense light on nearby locations.
After a couple of years of this, they sanded the panels to roughen
the surfaces.

Click here to read the complete article