interests / rec.games.trivia / Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 4, Rounds 4,6 answers: sports books and sex deaths

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCICR14 Game 4, Rounds 4,6: sports books and sex deathsMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 4, Rounds 4,6: sports books and sex deathsJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 4, Rounds 4,6: sports books and sex deathsDan Tilque
+- Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 4, Rounds 4,6: sports books and sex deathsErland Sommarskog
+- Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 4, Rounds 4,6: sports books and sex deathsDan Blum
`* RQFTCICR14 Game 4, Rounds 4,6 answers: sports books and sex deathsMark Brader
 `- Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 4, Rounds 4,6 answers: sports books and sex deathsMark Brader

1
RQFTCICR14 Game 4, Rounds 4,6: sports books and sex deaths

<i9qdnTftxZDDTGL-nZ2dnZfqnPudnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4561&group=rec.games.trivia#4561

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCICR14 Game 4, Rounds 4,6: sports books and sex deaths
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2023 22:27:42 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Wed, 1 Mar 2023 22:27 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-01-27,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Cellar Rats, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 3, Round 4 - Sports Literature - Sports Books

In all questions, when we talk about the author it means the primary
credited author, not any ghostwriter they may have worked with.
Questions #1-4 are about sports books published in 2013.

1. This NHL legend's memoir topped the bestsellers list in the
sports category at bookstores across Canada in 2013. Name the
author.

2. Who wrote "A Great Game: The Forgotten Leafs and the Rise of
Professional Hockey"?

3. What Toronto musician has written 5 hockey-themed books, starting
with "Tropic of Hockey" in 2001, and most recently "Keon and Me:
My Search for the Lost Soul of the Leafs"?

4. "The Boys in the Boat" by Daniel James Brown chronicles an
American rowing team's gold-medal effort at what historic
Olympics? Name the year or the city.

Questions #5-10 are about some of the most acclaimed non-fiction
sports books of the """last""" 60 years. In each case, name
the book.

5. Published in 1983, Ken Dryden's account of the Montreal
Canadiens' 1978-79 season is one of the most critically
acclaimed books ever written about hockey.

6. This 1992 autobiographical book by British author Nick Hornby
is the story of a fan's relationship with soccer, and the Arsenal
team in particular. The book was the basis for two fictionalized
movies with the same title, a British one released in 1997,
and an American one in 2005.

7. This 1972 book by Roger Kahn combined a nostalgic account of
the 1950s Brooklyn Dodgers with "where are they now?" interviews
with Jackie Robinson and many of the other players.

8. This book is essentially a diary of pitcher Jim Bouton's
1969 season with the Seattle Pilots and Houston Astros.
When published the following year, it was so controversial that
Baseball Commissioner Bowie Kuhn asked Bouton to sign a letter
stating that it was fiction.

9. In this 1966 book, writer George Plimpton goes to training
camp with an NFL team, ostensibly as a hopeful for a third-string
quarterback position.

10. This 1990 book by H.G. Bissinger follows the story of the 1988
Permian High School Panthers football team from Odessa, Texas,
as they made a run towards the state championship. It was made
into a movie, then a TV series.

* Game 3, Round 6 - History - Eros + Thanatos

The following questions are about famous figures who have reputedly
died during sex. You'll either find it amusing or puerile. If it's
the latter, we apologize in advance, and very likely agree with you.

1. He was vice president *under* Gerald Ford, and later died while
*on top of* his aide, Megan Marshack.

2. While not famous himself, he was the father of an A-list actor
who starred in the recent movie "Dallas Buyers Club". His (the
father's) manner of death garnered public attention when it was
described in a 2008 autobiography by his widow, "I Amaze Myself".

3. The "number" of this pope was up when he was killed in flagrante
delicto by the husband of the woman he was "ministering" to.
Speaking of numbers, we'll make it easy on you. We'll give you
his name -- Pope John -- and the years of his papacy, 955-964:
you just have to give us his number. Which Pope John was it?

4. We haven't heard of this guy either, but as a head of state at
the time he died from a massive stroke while tending to affairs
*not* of the nation, he makes all the lists. What nation was
Félix Faure president of when he died in 1899 while making love?

5. This notorious 5th-century warrior who conquered from horseback
famously has been said to have died during his honeymoon night
with his latest addition to the marital stable, after his new
wife whacked him in the nose, causing him to hemorrhage to death.

6. If you're lucky enough to be "in like" this swashbuckling actor,
maybe you'll be lucky enough to "go out" like he did too --
dying on his yacht in 1959 in Vancouver after retiring to his
bedroom with his latest conquest.

Sadly, these next two famous people both likely did it to themselves
literally and figuratively: they both are alleged to have died of
autoerotic asphyxiation. In each case, name the decedent.

7. The lead singer of popular rock band INXS, he died in a hotel
room in Sydney, Australia, in 1997.

8. It turns out Uma Thurman didn't have to "Kill Bill": the actor
who portrayed the titular Bill would eventually get around
to doing it himself. He was found dead in his hotel room in
Thailand, where he was shooting a movie, in 2009.

Well, it turns out that it's notoriously hard to get famous people
to *admit* that they died during sex, leaving us in need of two
more questions. The following two people didn't actually die during
sex, but we still think there's a place for them in this round.

9. This next person didn't actually die and wasn't initially famous.
In fact, it was him that lost a "loved one", said loss leading
directly to his fame, when his wife severed his "dearly departed"
with a knife in 1993 in response to his abusive treatment.
For a while at least, his last name became synonymous for this
technique of husband husbandry.

10. It's been long casually bandied about that our last entrant,
a powerful European ruler, died while being entered by a
horse in satisfaction of their mutual sexual proclivities.
But it's all horse pucky; no serious historian gives these
reports any credence.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | And perhaps another sigquote for Mark, who
msb@vex.net | seems to be running low... --Steve Summit

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 4, Rounds 4,6: sports books and sex deaths

<35f2fbba-bbc8-4190-9f8c-2bf32c1ce405n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4562&group=rec.games.trivia#4562

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2023 19:28:27 -0800 (PST)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Thu, 2 Mar 2023 03:28 UTC

On Wednesday, March 1, 2023 at 4:27:53 PM UTC-6, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 4 - Sports Literature - Sports Books
>
> 4. "The Boys in the Boat" by Daniel James Brown chronicles an
> American rowing team's gold-medal effort at what historic
> Olympics? Name the year or the city.

1936

> 6. This 1992 autobiographical book by British author Nick Hornby
> is the story of a fan's relationship with soccer, and the Arsenal
> team in particular. The book was the basis for two fictionalized
> movies with the same title, a British one released in 1997,
> and an American one in 2005.

"Fever Pitch"
> 7. This 1972 book by Roger Kahn combined a nostalgic account of
> the 1950s Brooklyn Dodgers with "where are they now?" interviews
> with Jackie Robinson and many of the other players.

"The Boys of Summer"

> 8. This book is essentially a diary of pitcher Jim Bouton's
> 1969 season with the Seattle Pilots and Houston Astros.
> When published the following year, it was so controversial that
> Baseball Commissioner Bowie Kuhn asked Bouton to sign a letter
> stating that it was fiction.

"Ball Four"

> 9. In this 1966 book, writer George Plimpton goes to training
> camp with an NFL team, ostensibly as a hopeful for a third-string
> quarterback position.

"Paper Lion"

> 10. This 1990 book by H.G. Bissinger follows the story of the 1988
> Permian High School Panthers football team from Odessa, Texas,
> as they made a run towards the state championship. It was made
> into a movie, then a TV series.

"Friday Night Lights"

> * Game 3, Round 6 - History - Eros + Thanatos
>
> The following questions are about famous figures who have reputedly
> died during sex. You'll either find it amusing or puerile. If it's
> the latter, we apologize in advance, and very likely agree with you.
>
> 1. He was vice president *under* Gerald Ford, and later died while
> *on top of* his aide, Megan Marshack.

Rockefeller

> 2. While not famous himself, he was the father of an A-list actor
> who starred in the recent movie "Dallas Buyers Club". His (the
> father's) manner of death garnered public attention when it was
> described in a 2008 autobiography by his widow, "I Amaze Myself".

McConaughey

> 3. The "number" of this pope was up when he was killed in flagrante
> delicto by the husband of the woman he was "ministering" to.
> Speaking of numbers, we'll make it easy on you. We'll give you
> his name -- Pope John -- and the years of his papacy, 955-964:
> you just have to give us his number. Which Pope John was it?

VIII; IX (?)

> 4. We haven't heard of this guy either, but as a head of state at
> the time he died from a massive stroke while tending to affairs
> *not* of the nation, he makes all the lists. What nation was
> Félix Faure president of when he died in 1899 while making love?

France

> 5. This notorious 5th-century warrior who conquered from horseback
> famously has been said to have died during his honeymoon night
> with his latest addition to the marital stable, after his new
> wife whacked him in the nose, causing him to hemorrhage to death.

Attila the Hun

> 6. If you're lucky enough to be "in like" this swashbuckling actor,
> maybe you'll be lucky enough to "go out" like he did too --
> dying on his yacht in 1959 in Vancouver after retiring to his
> bedroom with his latest conquest.

Flynn

> Sadly, these next two famous people both likely did it to themselves
> literally and figuratively: they both are alleged to have died of
> autoerotic asphyxiation. In each case, name the decedent.
>
> 7. The lead singer of popular rock band INXS, he died in a hotel
> room in Sydney, Australia, in 1997.

Hutchence

> 8. It turns out Uma Thurman didn't have to "Kill Bill": the actor
> who portrayed the titular Bill would eventually get around
> to doing it himself. He was found dead in his hotel room in
> Thailand, where he was shooting a movie, in 2009.

Carradine

> Well, it turns out that it's notoriously hard to get famous people
> to *admit* that they died during sex, leaving us in need of two
> more questions. The following two people didn't actually die during
> sex, but we still think there's a place for them in this round.
>
> 9. This next person didn't actually die and wasn't initially famous.
> In fact, it was him that lost a "loved one", said loss leading
> directly to his fame, when his wife severed his "dearly departed"
> with a knife in 1993 in response to his abusive treatment.
> For a while at least, his last name became synonymous for this
> technique of husband husbandry.

Bobbitt

> 10. It's been long casually bandied about that our last entrant,
> a powerful European ruler, died while being entered by a
> horse in satisfaction of their mutual sexual proclivities.
> But it's all horse pucky; no serious historian gives these
> reports any credence.

Catherine the Great

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 4, Rounds 4,6: sports books and sex deaths

<ttpav9$7kk2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4563&group=rec.games.trivia#4563

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2023 21:07:49 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Thu, 2 Mar 2023 05:07 UTC

On 3/1/23 14:27, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 4 - Sports Literature - Sports Books
>
> In all questions, when we talk about the author it means the primary
> credited author, not any ghostwriter they may have worked with.
> Questions #1-4 are about sports books published in 2013.
>
> 1. This NHL legend's memoir topped the bestsellers list in the
> sports category at bookstores across Canada in 2013. Name the
> author.
>
> 2. Who wrote "A Great Game: The Forgotten Leafs and the Rise of
> Professional Hockey"?
>
> 3. What Toronto musician has written 5 hockey-themed books, starting
> with "Tropic of Hockey" in 2001, and most recently "Keon and Me:
> My Search for the Lost Soul of the Leafs"?
>
> 4. "The Boys in the Boat" by Daniel James Brown chronicles an
> American rowing team's gold-medal effort at what historic
> Olympics? Name the year or the city.
>
> Questions #5-10 are about some of the most acclaimed non-fiction
> sports books of the """last""" 60 years. In each case, name
> the book.
>
> 5. Published in 1983, Ken Dryden's account of the Montreal
> Canadiens' 1978-79 season is one of the most critically
> acclaimed books ever written about hockey.
>
> 6. This 1992 autobiographical book by British author Nick Hornby
> is the story of a fan's relationship with soccer, and the Arsenal
> team in particular. The book was the basis for two fictionalized
> movies with the same title, a British one released in 1997,
> and an American one in 2005.
>
> 7. This 1972 book by Roger Kahn combined a nostalgic account of
> the 1950s Brooklyn Dodgers with "where are they now?" interviews
> with Jackie Robinson and many of the other players.
>
> 8. This book is essentially a diary of pitcher Jim Bouton's
> 1969 season with the Seattle Pilots and Houston Astros.
> When published the following year, it was so controversial that
> Baseball Commissioner Bowie Kuhn asked Bouton to sign a letter
> stating that it was fiction.

Ball Four

> 9. In this 1966 book, writer George Plimpton goes to training
> camp with an NFL team, ostensibly as a hopeful for a third-string
> quarterback position.
>
> 10. This 1990 book by H.G. Bissinger follows the story of the 1988
> Permian High School Panthers football team from Odessa, Texas,
> as they made a run towards the state championship. It was made
> into a movie, then a TV series.

Friday Night Lights

> * Game 3, Round 6 - History - Eros + Thanatos
>
> The following questions are about famous figures who have reputedly
> died during sex. You'll either find it amusing or puerile. If it's
> the latter, we apologize in advance, and very likely agree with you.
>
> 1. He was vice president *under* Gerald Ford, and later died while
> *on top of* his aide, Megan Marshack.

Rockefeller

> 2. While not famous himself, he was the father of an A-list actor
> who starred in the recent movie "Dallas Buyers Club". His (the
> father's) manner of death garnered public attention when it was
> described in a 2008 autobiography by his widow, "I Amaze Myself".
>
> 3. The "number" of this pope was up when he was killed in flagrante
> delicto by the husband of the woman he was "ministering" to.
> Speaking of numbers, we'll make it easy on you. We'll give you
> his name -- Pope John -- and the years of his papacy, 955-964:
> you just have to give us his number. Which Pope John was it?

John XXII

> 4. We haven't heard of this guy either, but as a head of state at
> the time he died from a massive stroke while tending to affairs
> *not* of the nation, he makes all the lists. What nation was
> Félix Faure president of when he died in 1899 while making love?
>
> 5. This notorious 5th-century warrior who conquered from horseback
> famously has been said to have died during his honeymoon night
> with his latest addition to the marital stable, after his new
> wife whacked him in the nose, causing him to hemorrhage to death.

Attila

> 6. If you're lucky enough to be "in like" this swashbuckling actor,
> maybe you'll be lucky enough to "go out" like he did too --
> dying on his yacht in 1959 in Vancouver after retiring to his
> bedroom with his latest conquest.
>
> Sadly, these next two famous people both likely did it to themselves
> literally and figuratively: they both are alleged to have died of
> autoerotic asphyxiation. In each case, name the decedent.
>
> 7. The lead singer of popular rock band INXS, he died in a hotel
> room in Sydney, Australia, in 1997.
>
> 8. It turns out Uma Thurman didn't have to "Kill Bill": the actor
> who portrayed the titular Bill would eventually get around
> to doing it himself. He was found dead in his hotel room in
> Thailand, where he was shooting a movie, in 2009.

Carradine

> Well, it turns out that it's notoriously hard to get famous people
> to *admit* that they died during sex, leaving us in need of two
> more questions. The following two people didn't actually die during
> sex, but we still think there's a place for them in this round.
>
> 9. This next person didn't actually die and wasn't initially famous.
> In fact, it was him that lost a "loved one", said loss leading
> directly to his fame, when his wife severed his "dearly departed"
> with a knife in 1993 in response to his abusive treatment.
> For a while at least, his last name became synonymous for this
> technique of husband husbandry.

Bobbitt

> 10. It's been long casually bandied about that our last entrant,
> a powerful European ruler, died while being entered by a
> horse in satisfaction of their mutual sexual proclivities.
> But it's all horse pucky; no serious historian gives these
> reports any credence.

Catherine the Great of Russia

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 4, Rounds 4,6: sports books and sex deaths

<XnsAFBBCF972FFA2Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4564&group=rec.games.trivia#4564

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2023 20:24:25 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Thu, 2 Mar 2023 19:24 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 3, Round 6 - History - Eros + Thanatos
>
> 1. He was vice president *under* Gerald Ford, and later died while
> *on top of* his aide, Megan Marshack.

Nelson Rockefeller
> 3. The "number" of this pope was up when he was killed in flagrante
> delicto by the husband of the woman he was "ministering" to.
> Speaking of numbers, we'll make it easy on you. We'll give you
> his name -- Pope John -- and the years of his papacy, 955-964:
> you just have to give us his number. Which Pope John was it?

XIII
> 4. We haven't heard of this guy either, but as a head of state at
> the time he died from a massive stroke while tending to affairs
> *not* of the nation, he makes all the lists. What nation was
> Félix Faure president of when he died in 1899 while making love?

France
> 5. This notorious 5th-century warrior who conquered from horseback
> famously has been said to have died during his honeymoon night
> with his latest addition to the marital stable, after his new
> wife whacked him in the nose, causing him to hemorrhage to death.

Attila
> 10. It's been long casually bandied about that our last entrant,
> a powerful European ruler, died while being entered by a
> horse in satisfaction of their mutual sexual proclivities.
> But it's all horse pucky; no serious historian gives these
> reports any credence.

Alexander the Great

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 4, Rounds 4,6: sports books and sex deaths

<ttr9g5$6au$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4565&group=rec.games.trivia#4565

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2023 22:55:01 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Thu, 2 Mar 2023 22:55 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 4 - Sports Literature - Sports Books

> 1. This NHL legend's memoir topped the bestsellers list in the
> sports category at bookstores across Canada in 2013. Name the
> author.

Gretzky

> 7. This 1972 book by Roger Kahn combined a nostalgic account of
> the 1950s Brooklyn Dodgers with "where are they now?" interviews
> with Jackie Robinson and many of the other players.

The Boys of Summer

> 9. In this 1966 book, writer George Plimpton goes to training
> camp with an NFL team, ostensibly as a hopeful for a third-string
> quarterback position.

Paper Lion

> 10. This 1990 book by H.G. Bissinger follows the story of the 1988
> Permian High School Panthers football team from Odessa, Texas,
> as they made a run towards the state championship. It was made
> into a movie, then a TV series.

Friday Night Lights

> * Game 3, Round 6 - History - Eros + Thanatos

> 1. He was vice president *under* Gerald Ford, and later died while
> *on top of* his aide, Megan Marshack.

Nelson Rockefeller

> 2. While not famous himself, he was the father of an A-list actor
> who starred in the recent movie "Dallas Buyers Club". His (the
> father's) manner of death garnered public attention when it was
> described in a 2008 autobiography by his widow, "I Amaze Myself".

McConnaghey

> 3. The "number" of this pope was up when he was killed in flagrante
> delicto by the husband of the woman he was "ministering" to.
> Speaking of numbers, we'll make it easy on you. We'll give you
> his name -- Pope John -- and the years of his papacy, 955-964:
> you just have to give us his number. Which Pope John was it?

VI; VII

> 4. We haven't heard of this guy either, but as a head of state at
> the time he died from a massive stroke while tending to affairs
> *not* of the nation, he makes all the lists. What nation was
> F?lix Faure president of when he died in 1899 while making love?

France

> 5. This notorious 5th-century warrior who conquered from horseback
> famously has been said to have died during his honeymoon night
> with his latest addition to the marital stable, after his new
> wife whacked him in the nose, causing him to hemorrhage to death.

Attila

> 6. If you're lucky enough to be "in like" this swashbuckling actor,
> maybe you'll be lucky enough to "go out" like he did too --
> dying on his yacht in 1959 in Vancouver after retiring to his
> bedroom with his latest conquest.

Errol Flynn

> 7. The lead singer of popular rock band INXS, he died in a hotel
> room in Sydney, Australia, in 1997.

Hutchence

> 8. It turns out Uma Thurman didn't have to "Kill Bill": the actor
> who portrayed the titular Bill would eventually get around
> to doing it himself. He was found dead in his hotel room in
> Thailand, where he was shooting a movie, in 2009.

Carradine

> 9. This next person didn't actually die and wasn't initially famous.
> In fact, it was him that lost a "loved one", said loss leading
> directly to his fame, when his wife severed his "dearly departed"
> with a knife in 1993 in response to his abusive treatment.
> For a while at least, his last name became synonymous for this
> technique of husband husbandry.

Bobbit

> 10. It's been long casually bandied about that our last entrant,
> a powerful European ruler, died while being entered by a
> horse in satisfaction of their mutual sexual proclivities.
> But it's all horse pucky; no serious historian gives these
> reports any credence.

Catherine the Great

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

RQFTCICR14 Game 4, Rounds 4,6 answers: sports books and sex deaths

<4Y6dnZMk3ICSRJ75nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4566&group=rec.games.trivia#4566

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCICR14 Game 4, Rounds 4,6 answers: sports books and sex deaths
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2023 23:49:35 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 4 Mar 2023 23:49 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-01-27,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2022-09-09 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 3, Round 4 - Sports Literature - Sports Books

> In all questions, when we talk about the author it means the primary
> credited author, not any ghostwriter they may have worked with.
> Questions #1-4 are about sports books published in 2013.

> 1. This NHL legend's memoir topped the bestsellers list in the
> sports category at bookstores across Canada in 2013. Name the
> author.

Bobby Orr. ("Orr: My Story".)

> 2. Who wrote "A Great Game: The Forgotten Leafs and the Rise of
> Professional Hockey"?

Prime Minister Stephen Harper.

My comment after reading it: "As a prime minister, he's a pretty
good sports writer."

> 3. What Toronto musician has written 5 hockey-themed books, starting
> with "Tropic of Hockey" in 2001, and most recently "Keon and Me:
> My Search for the Lost Soul of the Leafs"?

Dave Bidini.

> 4. "The Boys in the Boat" by Daniel James Brown chronicles an
> American rowing team's gold-medal effort at what historic
> Olympics? Name the year or the city.

1936, Berlin. 4 for Joshua.

> Questions #5-10 are about some of the most acclaimed non-fiction
> sports books of the """last""" 60 years. In each case, name
> the book.

> 5. Published in 1983, Ken Dryden's account of the Montreal
> Canadiens' 1978-79 season is one of the most critically
> acclaimed books ever written about hockey.

"The Game".

> 6. This 1992 autobiographical book by British author Nick Hornby
> is the story of a fan's relationship with soccer, and the Arsenal
> team in particular. The book was the basis for two fictionalized
> movies with the same title, a British one released in 1997,
> and an American one in 2005.

"Fever Pitch". 4 for Joshua.

The American movie, taking advantage of another meaning of "pitch",
turned him into a baseball fan.

> 7. This 1972 book by Roger Kahn combined a nostalgic account of
> the 1950s Brooklyn Dodgers with "where are they now?" interviews
> with Jackie Robinson and many of the other players.

"The Boys of Summer". 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 8. This book is essentially a diary of pitcher Jim Bouton's
> 1969 season with the Seattle Pilots and Houston Astros.
> When published the following year, it was so controversial that
> Baseball Commissioner Bowie Kuhn asked Bouton to sign a letter
> stating that it was fiction.

"Ball Four". 4 for Joshua and Dan Tilque.

> 9. In this 1966 book, writer George Plimpton goes to training
> camp with an NFL team, ostensibly as a hopeful for a third-string
> quarterback position.

"Paper Lion". 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 10. This 1990 book by H.G. Bissinger follows the story of the 1988
> Permian High School Panthers football team from Odessa, Texas,
> as they made a run towards the state championship. It was made
> into a movie, then a TV series.

"Friday Night Lights". 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Dan Blum.

> * Game 3, Round 6 - History - Eros + Thanatos

> The following questions are about famous figures who have reputedly
> died during sex. You'll either find it amusing or puerile. If it's
> the latter, we apologize in advance, and very likely agree with you.

> 1. He was vice president *under* Gerald Ford, and later died while
> *on top of* his aide, Megan Marshack.

Nelson Rockefeller. 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Dan Tilque, Erland,
and Dan Blum.

> 2. While not famous himself, he was the father of an A-list actor
> who starred in the recent movie "Dallas Buyers Club". His (the
> father's) manner of death garnered public attention when it was
> described in a 2008 autobiography by his widow, "I Amaze Myself".

James McConaughey (father of actor Matthew -- of course, the surname
was sufficient). 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 3. The "number" of this pope was up when he was killed in flagrante
> delicto by the husband of the woman he was "ministering" to.
> Speaking of numbers, we'll make it easy on you. We'll give you
> his name -- Pope John -- and the years of his papacy, 955-964:
> you just have to give us his number. Which Pope John was it?

XII.

In the original game the answer was shown on the question sheet as
"XII (seven)"!

> 4. We haven't heard of this guy either, but as a head of state at
> the time he died from a massive stroke while tending to affairs
> *not* of the nation, he makes all the lists. What nation was
> Félix Faure president of when he died in 1899 while making love?

France. 4 for Joshua, Erland, and Dan Blum.

> 5. This notorious 5th-century warrior who conquered from horseback
> famously has been said to have died during his honeymoon night
> with his latest addition to the marital stable, after his new
> wife whacked him in the nose, causing him to hemorrhage to death.

Attila the Hun. 4 for everyone.

> 6. If you're lucky enough to be "in like" this swashbuckling actor,
> maybe you'll be lucky enough to "go out" like he did too --
> dying on his yacht in 1959 in Vancouver after retiring to his
> bedroom with his latest conquest.

Errol Flynn. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> Sadly, these next two famous people both likely did it to themselves
> literally and figuratively: they both are alleged to have died of
> autoerotic asphyxiation. In each case, name the decedent.

> 7. The lead singer of popular rock band INXS, he died in a hotel
> room in Sydney, Australia, in 1997.

Michael Hutchence. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 8. It turns out Uma Thurman didn't have to "Kill Bill": the actor
> who portrayed the titular Bill would eventually get around
> to doing it himself. He was found dead in his hotel room in
> Thailand, where he was shooting a movie, in 2009.

David Carradine. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Dan Blum.

> Well, it turns out that it's notoriously hard to get famous people
> to *admit* that they died during sex, leaving us in need of two
> more questions. The following two people didn't actually die during
> sex, but we still think there's a place for them in this round.

> 9. This next person didn't actually die and wasn't initially famous.
> In fact, it was him that lost a "loved one", said loss leading
> directly to his fame, when his wife severed his "dearly departed"
> with a knife in 1993 in response to his abusive treatment.
> For a while at least, his last name became synonymous for this
> technique of husband husbandry.

John Wayne Bobbitt. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Dan Blum.

> 10. It's been long casually bandied about that our last entrant,
> a powerful European ruler, died while being entered by a
> horse in satisfaction of their mutual sexual proclivities.
> But it's all horse pucky; no serious historian gives these
> reports any credence.

Empress Catherine the Great of Russia. (Also accepting Empress Maria
Theresa of Austria-Hungary; some similar claims have been made about
her demise.) 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Dan Blum.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 3 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Can Art S+L His
Joshua Kreitzer 11 18 24 36 89
Dan Blum 4 12 12 36 64
Dan Tilque 0 0 8 20 28
Erland Sommarskog -- -- 0 12 12
Pete Gayde 6 5 -- -- 11

--
Mark Brader | "...Backwards Compatibility, which, if you've made as
msb@vex.net | many mistakes as Intel and Microsoft have in the past,

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 4, Rounds 4,6 answers: sports books and sex deaths

<hZScnT8hMv6HR575nZ2dnZfqnPGdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4567&group=rec.games.trivia#4567

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2023 23:54:02 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 4 Mar 2023 23:54 UTC

To avoid any doubt: that set was Game *3*, Rounds 4,6.
Sorry about that.
--
Mark Brader | "If you need features not found in any language,
Toronto | you can try your hand at creating your own.