interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCICR14 Game 3, Rounds 2-3 answers: Montreal and ballet

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCICR14 Game 3, Rounds 2-3: Montreal and balletMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 3, Rounds 2-3: Montreal and balletDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 3, Rounds 2-3: Montreal and balletPete Gayde
+- Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 3, Rounds 2-3: Montreal and balletJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 3, Rounds 2-3: Montreal and balletDan Tilque
`- RQFTCICR14 Game 3, Rounds 2-3 answers: Montreal and balletMark Brader

1
RQFTCICR14 Game 3, Rounds 2-3: Montreal and ballet

<v16dnSsyO5DYXGb-nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4555&group=rec.games.trivia#4555

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCICR14 Game 3, Rounds 2-3: Montreal and ballet
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 20:29:57 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 20:29 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-01-27,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Cellar Rats, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 3, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

Answer these 2014 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

1. Just in case you thought a week might pass without Rob Ford
qualifying to be in the current events round, you'd be wrong.
Ford created controversy yet again when he was recorded in a
restaurant earlier this week drunkenly doing a bad imitation
of what dialect/language?

2. Canada's other great gift to late-night comedic talk shows,
Justin Bieber, landed in a Miami jail after being arrested for
impaired driving and resisting arrest. Give the *color and make*
of the rented car he was allegedly caught drag-racing in.

* Game 3, Round 2 - Canadiana Geography - Montreal

1. The 103-foot-high (31 m) illuminated cross """now""" atop
Mt. Royal was installed in 1924, but the first cross was placed
there in 1643. The man who placed that first cross is considered
to be the city's founder. Who was he?

2. In the """2011""" census, within 5 percentage points, what
percentage of the population of the Montreal census metropolitan
area reported speaking *only French* at home? *Note*: You may
instead answer for the 2021 census and need not say which one
you are answering for.

3. The largest church in Canada """is""" located in Montreal.
What is it?

4. Canada's most heavily traveled bridge """is""" located in
Montreal. It has outlived its usefulness and is """currently"""
being replaced with a new bridge """to open in 2018""".
Meanwhile, mammoth traffic jams have been reported in the
news media. What is the name of this bridge?

5. On 2013-11-14, the 44th mayor of Montreal was sworn in.
What is the """new""" mayor's name? *Note*: You may name the
current mayor instead.

6. Who was Montreal's mayor from 2002 until his resignation under
allegations of accepting kickbacks and bribes in 2011?

7. Addresses on many Toronto streets are identified as "east" or
"west" of Yonge St. Give the name or nickname of the street
with the corresponding role of separating "east" and "west"
addresses in Montreal.

8. Jackie Robinson broke the baseball color barrier when he played
with a Montreal team in the 1940s. What team?

9. Please decode the rot13 for the last two questions only after
you have finished with the rest of the round. Fg. Ynjerapr Oyiq.
"""vf""" gur ubzr bs n snzbhf qryvpngrffra. Jura bcrarq va 1928
vg jnf pnyyrq gur Zbagerny Uroerj Qryvpngrffra, ohg """abj"""
vg ornef gur anzr bs gur zna jub bjarq vg gura. Anzr uvz.

10. Fvapr <nafjre 9>, gur qryv unf orra haqre """sbhe""" bgure
bjarefuvcf. *Jung fubjovm cresbezre* vf n """pheerag"""
cnegvny bjare, nybat jvgu frireny bgure pb-bjaref?

* Game 3, Round 3 - Arts - Ballet Steps

Ballet became formalized in France in the 18th century, and most
internationally used ballet terminology is in French. For each
description of of a ballet step, please give the proper term from
the following list:

| Arabesque | Entrechat | Pas de bourrée
| Attitude | Épaulement | Pas de chat
| Battement | Glissade | Pas de cheval
| Bourrée | Grand jeté | Piqué
| Chainés | Pas assemblé | Pirouette
| Chassé | Pas de Basque | Rond de jambe

1. The body is supported on one leg, with the other leg extended
behind the body with the knee straight. The standing leg may
be either bent or straight.

2. A controlled turn on one leg, starting with one or both legs
bent in plié and rising onto the toes to finish.

3. The dancer slides forwards, backwards, or sideways with both
legs bent, then springs into the air with legs meeting and
straightened.

4. A series of quick turns in first position, on alternating feet,
progressing along a straight line or in a circle.

5. The dancer's shoulders and head are rotated in relation to the
hips and legs. The head looks over the front-facing shoulder.

6. A long horizontal jump, starting from one leg and landing on
the other. Looks like splits in the air.

7. A rapid beating movement of the active leg while standing on
the supporting leg.

8. Standing on one foot, the dancer makes half-circles with the
other foot, pointed, creating the letter D on the floor.

9. A movement in which the strongly pointed toe of the lifted
and extended leg sharply lowers to hit the floor then immediately
rebounds upward.

10. The dancer jumps sideways, and while in mid-air, bends both
legs, bringing the feet up as high as possible, with knees apart.

--
Mark Brader | "If you need features not found in any language,
Toronto | you can try your hand at creating your own.
| It is easy to create an unholy mess.)" -- Chris Torek

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 3, Rounds 2-3: Montreal and ballet

<ttgips$pq1$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4556&group=rec.games.trivia#4556

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 21:26:20 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 21:26 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 2 - Canadiana Geography - Montreal

> 2. In the """2011""" census, within 5 percentage points, what
> percentage of the population of the Montreal census metropolitan
> area reported speaking *only French* at home? *Note*: You may
> instead answer for the 2021 census and need not say which one
> you are answering for.

55

> 7. Addresses on many Toronto streets are identified as "east" or
> "west" of Yonge St. Give the name or nickname of the street
> with the corresponding role of separating "east" and "west"
> addresses in Montreal.

St. Catherine

> * Game 3, Round 3 - Arts - Ballet Steps

> 1. The body is supported on one leg, with the other leg extended
> behind the body with the knee straight. The standing leg may
> be either bent or straight.

grand jete

> 2. A controlled turn on one leg, starting with one or both legs
> bent in pli? and rising onto the toes to finish.

pirouette

> 3. The dancer slides forwards, backwards, or sideways with both
> legs bent, then springs into the air with legs meeting and
> straightened.

pas de chat

> 4. A series of quick turns in first position, on alternating feet,
> progressing along a straight line or in a circle.

glissade

> 5. The dancer's shoulders and head are rotated in relation to the
> hips and legs. The head looks over the front-facing shoulder.

attitude

> 6. A long horizontal jump, starting from one leg and landing on
> the other. Looks like splits in the air.

pas de cheval

> 7. A rapid beating movement of the active leg while standing on
> the supporting leg.

battement

> 8. Standing on one foot, the dancer makes half-circles with the
> other foot, pointed, creating the letter D on the floor.

arabesque

> 9. A movement in which the strongly pointed toe of the lifted
> and extended leg sharply lowers to hit the floor then immediately
> rebounds upward.

pique

> 10. The dancer jumps sideways, and while in mid-air, bends both
> legs, bringing the feet up as high as possible, with knees apart.

pas de Basque

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 3, Rounds 2-3: Montreal and ballet

<tth2ab$32kcn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4557&group=rec.games.trivia#4557

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 19:51:07 -0600
 by: Pete Gayde - Mon, 27 Feb 2023 01:51 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-01-27,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Cellar Rats, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
> answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 3, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 2014 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. Just in case you thought a week might pass without Rob Ford
> qualifying to be in the current events round, you'd be wrong.
> Ford created controversy yet again when he was recorded in a
> restaurant earlier this week drunkenly doing a bad imitation
> of what dialect/language?

Indian

> 2. Canada's other great gift to late-night comedic talk shows,
> Justin Bieber, landed in a Miami jail after being arrested for
> impaired driving and resisting arrest. Give the *color and make*
> of the rented car he was allegedly caught drag-racing in.
>

> * Game 3, Round 2 - Canadiana Geography - Montreal
>
> 1. The 103-foot-high (31 m) illuminated cross """now""" atop
> Mt. Royal was installed in 1924, but the first cross was placed
> there in 1643. The man who placed that first cross is considered
> to be the city's founder. Who was he?
>
> 2. In the """2011""" census, within 5 percentage points, what
> percentage of the population of the Montreal census metropolitan
> area reported speaking *only French* at home? *Note*: You may
> instead answer for the 2021 census and need not say which one
> you are answering for.

45; 56

> 3. The largest church in Canada """is""" located in Montreal.
> What is it?

St Eustache

> 4. Canada's most heavily traveled bridge """is""" located in
> Montreal. It has outlived its usefulness and is """currently"""
> being replaced with a new bridge """to open in 2018""".
> Meanwhile, mammoth traffic jams have been reported in the
> news media. What is the name of this bridge?
>
> 5. On 2013-11-14, the 44th mayor of Montreal was sworn in.
> What is the """new""" mayor's name? *Note*: You may name the
> current mayor instead.
>
> 6. Who was Montreal's mayor from 2002 until his resignation under
> allegations of accepting kickbacks and bribes in 2011?
>
> 7. Addresses on many Toronto streets are identified as "east" or
> "west" of Yonge St. Give the name or nickname of the street
> with the corresponding role of separating "east" and "west"
> addresses in Montreal.
>
> 8. Jackie Robinson broke the baseball color barrier when he played
> with a Montreal team in the 1940s. What team?

Royals

> 9. Please decode the rot13 for the last two questions only after
> you have finished with the rest of the round. Fg. Ynjerapr Oyiq.
> """vf""" gur ubzr bs n snzbhf qryvpngrffra. Jura bcrarq va 1928
> vg jnf pnyyrq gur Zbagerny Uroerj Qryvpngrffra, ohg """abj"""
> vg ornef gur anzr bs gur zna jub bjarq vg gura. Anzr uvz.
>
> 10. Fvapr <nafjre 9>, gur qryv unf orra haqre """sbhe""" bgure
> bjarefuvcf. *Jung fubjovm cresbezre* vf n """pheerag"""
> cnegvny bjare, nybat jvgu frireny bgure pb-bjaref?
>

> * Game 3, Round 3 - Arts - Ballet Steps
>
> Ballet became formalized in France in the 18th century, and most
> internationally used ballet terminology is in French. For each
> description of of a ballet step, please give the proper term from
> the following list:
>
> | Arabesque | Entrechat | Pas de bourrée
> | Attitude | Épaulement | Pas de chat
> | Battement | Glissade | Pas de cheval
> | Bourrée | Grand jeté | Piqué
> | Chainés | Pas assemblé | Pirouette
> | Chassé | Pas de Basque | Rond de jambe
>
> 1. The body is supported on one leg, with the other leg extended
> behind the body with the knee straight. The standing leg may
> be either bent or straight.

Piqué

> 2. A controlled turn on one leg, starting with one or both legs
> bent in plié and rising onto the toes to finish.

Arabesque; Grand jeté

> 3. The dancer slides forwards, backwards, or sideways with both
> legs bent, then springs into the air with legs meeting and
> straightened.

Glissade

> 4. A series of quick turns in first position, on alternating feet,
> progressing along a straight line or in a circle.

Chassé; Bourrée

> 5. The dancer's shoulders and head are rotated in relation to the
> hips and legs. The head looks over the front-facing shoulder.

Attitude

> 6. A long horizontal jump, starting from one leg and landing on
> the other. Looks like splits in the air.

Arabesque; Grand jeté

> 7. A rapid beating movement of the active leg while standing on
> the supporting leg.

Chassé

> 8. Standing on one foot, the dancer makes half-circles with the
> other foot, pointed, creating the letter D on the floor.

Rond de jambe; Pirouette

> 9. A movement in which the strongly pointed toe of the lifted
> and extended leg sharply lowers to hit the floor then immediately
> rebounds upward.

Pas de Basque; Pas de bourrée

> 10. The dancer jumps sideways, and while in mid-air, bends both
> legs, bringing the feet up as high as possible, with knees apart.
Arabesque; Grand jeté

Pete Gayde

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 3, Rounds 2-3: Montreal and ballet

<4728df1a-34e9-4468-ab1e-50dca44d2592n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4558&group=rec.games.trivia#4558

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 22:07:05 -0800 (PST)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Mon, 27 Feb 2023 06:07 UTC

On Sunday, February 26, 2023 at 2:30:06 PM UTC-6, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 2 - Canadiana Geography - Montreal
>
> 1. The 103-foot-high (31 m) illuminated cross """now""" atop
> Mt. Royal was installed in 1924, but the first cross was placed
> there in 1643. The man who placed that first cross is considered
> to be the city's founder. Who was he?

Cartier

> 2. In the """2011""" census, within 5 percentage points, what
> percentage of the population of the Montreal census metropolitan
> area reported speaking *only French* at home? *Note*: You may
> instead answer for the 2021 census and need not say which one
> you are answering for.

51%; 62%

> 8. Jackie Robinson broke the baseball color barrier when he played
> with a Montreal team in the 1940s. What team?

Montreal Royals

> 10. Fvapr <nafjre 9>, gur qryv unf orra haqre """sbhe""" bgure
> bjarefuvcf. *Jung fubjovm cresbezre* vf n """pheerag"""
> cnegvny bjare, nybat jvgu frireny bgure pb-bjaref?

Celine Dion
> * Game 3, Round 3 - Arts - Ballet Steps
>
> Ballet became formalized in France in the 18th century, and most
> internationally used ballet terminology is in French. For each
> description of of a ballet step, please give the proper term from
> the following list:
>
> 1. The body is supported on one leg, with the other leg extended
> behind the body with the knee straight. The standing leg may
> be either bent or straight.

Arabesque; Battement

> 2. A controlled turn on one leg, starting with one or both legs
> bent in plié and rising onto the toes to finish.

Pirouette

> 3. The dancer slides forwards, backwards, or sideways with both
> legs bent, then springs into the air with legs meeting and
> straightened.

Bourrée; Chassé

> 4. A series of quick turns in first position, on alternating feet,
> progressing along a straight line or in a circle.

Glissade

> 5. The dancer's shoulders and head are rotated in relation to the
> hips and legs. The head looks over the front-facing shoulder.

Entrechat; Épaulement

> 6. A long horizontal jump, starting from one leg and landing on
> the other. Looks like splits in the air.

Grand jeté

> 7. A rapid beating movement of the active leg while standing on
> the supporting leg.

Pas assemblé; Glissade

> 8. Standing on one foot, the dancer makes half-circles with the
> other foot, pointed, creating the letter D on the floor.

Pas de bourrée; Pas de chat

> 9. A movement in which the strongly pointed toe of the lifted
> and extended leg sharply lowers to hit the floor then immediately
> rebounds upward.

Piqué; Pas de cheval

> 10. The dancer jumps sideways, and while in mid-air, bends both
> legs, bringing the feet up as high as possible, with knees apart.

Grand jeté

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 3, Rounds 2-3: Montreal and ballet

<ttj0bn$3b6p4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4559&group=rec.games.trivia#4559

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 11:29:59 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Mon, 27 Feb 2023 19:29 UTC

On 2/26/23 12:29, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 2014 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. Just in case you thought a week might pass without Rob Ford
> qualifying to be in the current events round, you'd be wrong.
> Ford created controversy yet again when he was recorded in a
> restaurant earlier this week drunkenly doing a bad imitation
> of what dialect/language?
>
> 2. Canada's other great gift to late-night comedic talk shows,
> Justin Bieber, landed in a Miami jail after being arrested for
> impaired driving and resisting arrest. Give the *color and make*
> of the rented car he was allegedly caught drag-racing in.
>

> * Game 3, Round 2 - Canadiana Geography - Montreal
>
> 1. The 103-foot-high (31 m) illuminated cross """now""" atop
> Mt. Royal was installed in 1924, but the first cross was placed
> there in 1643. The man who placed that first cross is considered
> to be the city's founder. Who was he?

Cartier

> 2. In the """2011""" census, within 5 percentage points, what
> percentage of the population of the Montreal census metropolitan
> area reported speaking *only French* at home? *Note*: You may
> instead answer for the 2021 census and need not say which one
> you are answering for.

65%

> [...]
> hips and legs. The head looks over the front-facing shoulder.
>
> 6. A long horizontal jump, starting from one leg and landing on
> the other. Looks like splits in the air.
>
> 7. A rapid beating movement of the active leg while standing on
> the supporting leg.
>
> 8. Standing on one foot, the dancer makes half-circles with the
> other foot, pointed, creating the letter D on the floor.
>
> 9. A movement in which the strongly pointed toe of the lifted
> and extended leg sharply lowers to hit the floor then immediately
> rebounds upward.
>
> 10. The dancer jumps sideways, and while in mid-air, bends both
> legs, bringing the feet up as high as possible, with knees apart.

--
Dan Tilque

RQFTCICR14 Game 3, Rounds 2-3 answers: Montreal and ballet

<6fOcnf3V34onTWL-nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4560&group=rec.games.trivia#4560

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCICR14 Game 3, Rounds 2-3 answers: Montreal and ballet
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2023 22:24:58 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Wed, 1 Mar 2023 22:24 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-01-27,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...

> * Game 3, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

> Answer these 2014 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

> 1. Just in case you thought a week might pass without Rob Ford
> qualifying to be in the current events round, you'd be wrong.
> Ford created controversy yet again when he was recorded in a
> restaurant earlier this week drunkenly doing a bad imitation
> of what dialect/language?

Jamaican patois.

> 2. Canada's other great gift to late-night comedic talk shows,
> Justin Bieber, landed in a Miami jail after being arrested for
> impaired driving and resisting arrest. Give the *color and make*
> of the rented car he was allegedly caught drag-racing in.

Yellow Lamborghini.

> * Game 3, Round 2 - Canadiana Geography - Montreal

> 1. The 103-foot-high (31 m) illuminated cross """now""" atop
> Mt. Royal was installed in 1924, but the first cross was placed
> there in 1643. The man who placed that first cross is considered
> to be the city's founder. Who was he?

Paul de Chomedey de Maisonneuve. (Still true.)

> 2. In the """2011""" census, within 5 percentage points, what
> percentage of the population of the Montreal census metropolitan
> area reported speaking *only French* at home? *Note*: You may
> instead answer for the 2021 census and need not say which one
> you are answering for.

2011 census answer: 56.5%. 2021 census answer: 56.0%-. (Accepting
50.9-61.5%.) 4 for Dan Blum. 3 for Joshua. 2 for Pete.

> 3. The largest church in Canada """is""" located in Montreal.
> What is it?

St. Joseph's Oratory. (Still true.)

> 4. Canada's most heavily traveled bridge """is""" located in
> Montreal. It has outlived its usefulness and is """currently"""
> being replaced with a new bridge """to open in 2018""".
> Meanwhile, mammoth traffic jams have been reported in the
> news media. What is the name of this bridge?

Champlain Bridge. (The new bridge, with the same name, actually
opened in 2019.)

> 5. On 2013-11-14, the 44th mayor of Montreal was sworn in.
> What is the """new""" mayor's name? *Note*: You may name the
> current mayor instead.

2014 answer: Denis Coderre. 2023 answer: Valérie Plante (the 45th,
in office since 2017-11-16).

> 6. Who was Montreal's mayor from 2002 until his resignation under
> allegations of accepting kickbacks and bribes in 2011?

Gérald Tremblay.

> 7. Addresses on many Toronto streets are identified as "east" or
> "west" of Yonge St. Give the name or nickname of the street
> with the corresponding role of separating "east" and "west"
> addresses in Montreal.

St. Lawrence Blvd., Boul. St-Laurent, or "the Main".

The "east" direction in the Montreal street grid is actually closer
to north. Apparently it follows the St. Lawrence River, which
flows generally eastward, but the part nearest downtown Montreal
angles more northward. St. Lawrence Blvd. is actually about 60°
anticlockwise of north-south.

For comparison, the Toronto street grid's "east" direction generally
follows the main direction of the Lake Ontario shoreline from Toronto
to Kingston, which actually is close to east; Yonge St. in downtown
Toronto is about 15° anticlockwise of north-south.

> 8. Jackie Robinson broke the baseball color barrier when he played
> with a Montreal team in the 1940s. What team?

Montreal Royals. (Farm team for the Brooklyn Dodgers, of course.)
4 for Pete and Joshua.

> 9. Please decode the rot13 for the last two questions only after
> you have finished with the rest of the round. St. Lawrence Blvd.
> """is""" the home of a famous delicatessen. When opened in 1928
> it was called the Montreal Hebrew Delicatessen, but """now"""
> it bears the name of the man who owned it then. Name him.

Reuben Schwartz. (Still true.)

> 10. Since <answer 9>, the deli has been under """four""" other
> ownerships. *What showbiz performer* is a """current"""
> partial owner, along with several other co-owners?

Céline Dion. (Still true.) 4 for Joshua.

> * Game 3, Round 3 - Arts - Ballet Steps

> Ballet became formalized in France in the 18th century, and most
> internationally used ballet terminology is in French. For each
> description of of a ballet step, please give the proper term from
> the following list:

> | Arabesque | Entrechat | Pas de bourrée
> | Attitude | Épaulement | Pas de chat
> | Battement | Glissade | Pas de cheval
> | Bourrée | Grand jeté | Piqué
> | Chainés | Pas assemblé | Pirouette
> | Chassé | Pas de Basque | Rond de jambe

This was the second-hardest round in the original game, after the
audio round.

> 1. The body is supported on one leg, with the other leg extended
> behind the body with the knee straight. The standing leg may
> be either bent or straight.

Arabesque. 3 for Joshua.

> 2. A controlled turn on one leg, starting with one or both legs
> bent in plié and rising onto the toes to finish.

Pirouette. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 3. The dancer slides forwards, backwards, or sideways with both
> legs bent, then springs into the air with legs meeting and
> straightened.

Chassé. (Literally "chased" or "hunted".) 2 for Joshua.

> 4. A series of quick turns in first position, on alternating feet,
> progressing along a straight line or in a circle.

Chainés. (Yes, "chained".)

> 5. The dancer's shoulders and head are rotated in relation to the
> hips and legs. The head looks over the front-facing shoulder.

Épaulement. ("Épaule" means "shoulder".) 2 for Joshua.

> 6. A long horizontal jump, starting from one leg and landing on
> the other. Looks like splits in the air.

Grand jeté. ("Jeté" means "thrown".) 4 for Joshua. 2 for Pete.

> 7. A rapid beating movement of the active leg while standing on
> the supporting leg.

Battement. ("Beating".) 4 for Dan Blum.

> 8. Standing on one foot, the dancer makes half-circles with the
> other foot, pointed, creating the letter D on the floor.

Rond de jambe. ("Circle of leg".) 3 for Pete.

> 9. A movement in which the strongly pointed toe of the lifted
> and extended leg sharply lowers to hit the floor then immediately
> rebounds upward.

Piqué. (Related to our word "pick", the excavating tool.)
4 for Dan Blum. 3 for Joshua.

> 10. The dancer jumps sideways, and while in mid-air, bends both
> legs, bringing the feet up as high as possible, with knees apart.

Pas de chat. ("Step of cat".)

No, I have no idea of what the other terms mean, other than their
literal translations.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 3 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Can Art
Joshua Kreitzer 11 18 29
Dan Blum 4 12 16
Pete Gayde 6 5 11
Dan Tilque 0 0 0

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "'Other than they typo'? Oh, the irony!"
msb@vex.net | --Stan Brown