Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCICR14 Game 2, Rounds 9-10: TO places, bad challenge
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2023 07:02:44 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 23 Feb 2023 07:02 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-01-20,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Cellar Rats, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

** Game 2, Round 9 - Canadiana Geography - Famous Toronto Locations

Game 1 had no Canadiana round, so this time you get an extra one.
Lucky you!

We give you the address, you name the well-known Toronto building
or institution """located there""".

1. 30 Yonge St.
2. 60 Simcoe St.
3. 37 King St. E.
4. 60 Queen St. W.
5. 92 Front St. E.
6. 100 Front St. W.
7. 317 Dundas St. W.
8. 581 Bloor St. W. """-- for the time being""".
9. 279 Yonge St. (Hint: Part of an international chain.)
10. 1214 Queen St. W. (Hint: Renovated by daughter of famous
Canadian architect.)

** Game 2, Round 10 - Bad Challenge Round

* A. Bad Sports

A1. What Yankee infielder received one of the longest
suspensions in baseball history for his involvement with
Florida's hormone-dispensing Biogenesis clinic?

A2. Lance Armstrong admitted to using performance-enhancing
drugs during all of his Tour de France victories. How many
times did he -- as we thought at the time -- win the race?

* B. Walter White's Chemistry Quiz

B1. What is the term for chemical reactions that release heat?

B2. Two substances are used as precursors in methamphetamine
production. One is an industrial compound used in production
of pesticides, solvents, etc., and now closely monitored
by government; the other is a once widely available
decongestant. Name either.

* C. Bad Government

C1. What was the name of the NSA surveillance program revealed
by whistleblower Ed Snowden?

C2. What company, founded in Montreal, was blamed for the
troubled American online health-insurance system rollout?

* D. Bad Mayor

D1. Name the man who was photographed with Mayor Ford and later
shot dead outside a King St. nightclub.

D2. Name Mayor Ford's friend and part-time driver who was
charged with drug trafficking and extortion.

* E. Bad Show

E1. This summer 2013 TV-movie may be a contender for all-time
worst. Name the thriller with the, ah, biting weather plot.

E2. What dance craze came to global attention at the """latest"""
MTV music video awards?

* F. Badly Dressed Business

F1. Name the company whose CEO blamed the shape of his customers'
bodies for problems with the sheerness of their yoga pants.

F2. The collapsed Bangladesh building that killed over 1,000
workers contained clothes bearing *what label*, promoted by
a Canadian retailer?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Some people open all the windows:
msb@vex.net | wise wives welcome spring by moving the UNIX."

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 2, Rounds 9-10: TO places, bad challenge

<tt7d90$1r9ju$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4550&group=rec.games.trivia#4550

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2023 01:56:48 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Thu, 23 Feb 2023 09:56 UTC

7

> * B. Walter White's Chemistry Quiz
>
> B1. What is the term for chemical reactions that release heat?

exothermic

> B2. Two substances are used as precursors in methamphetamine
> production. One is an industrial compound used in production
> of pesticides, solvents, etc., and now closely monitored
> by government; the other is a once widely available
> decongestant. Name either.

epinephrine

> * C. Bad Government
>
> C1. What was the name of the NSA surveillance program revealed
> by whistleblower Ed Snowden?
>
> C2. What company, founded in Montreal, was blamed for the
> troubled American online health-insurance system rollout?
>

> * D. Bad Mayor
>
> D1. Name the man who was photographed with Mayor Ford and later
> shot dead outside a King St. nightclub.
>
> D2. Name Mayor Ford's friend and part-time driver who was
> charged with drug trafficking and extortion.
>

> * E. Bad Show
>
> E1. This summer 2013 TV-movie may be a contender for all-time
> worst. Name the thriller with the, ah, biting weather plot.

Day After Tomorrow

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 2, Rounds 9-10: TO places, bad challenge

<tt93et$588$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4551&group=rec.games.trivia#4551

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2023 01:21:33 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Fri, 24 Feb 2023 01:21 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 2, Round 10 - Bad Challenge Round

> * A. Bad Sports

> A2. Lance Armstrong admitted to using performance-enhancing
> drugs during all of his Tour de France victories. How many
> times did he -- as we thought at the time -- win the race?

3; 4

> * B. Walter White's Chemistry Quiz

> B1. What is the term for chemical reactions that release heat?

exothermic

> B2. Two substances are used as precursors in methamphetamine
> production. One is an industrial compound used in production
> of pesticides, solvents, etc., and now closely monitored
> by government; the other is a once widely available
> decongestant. Name either.

pseudoephedrine hydrochloride

> * E. Bad Show

> E1. This summer 2013 TV-movie may be a contender for all-time
> worst. Name the thriller with the, ah, biting weather plot.

Sharknado

> * F. Badly Dressed Business

> F1. Name the company whose CEO blamed the shape of his customers'
> bodies for problems with the sheerness of their yoga pants.

Lululemon

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 2, Rounds 9-10: TO places, bad challenge

<eb4847be-6d29-4964-bbc7-7c7600dc5dffn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4552&group=rec.games.trivia#4552

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2023 20:14:27 -0800 (PST)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Fri, 24 Feb 2023 04:14 UTC

On Thursday, February 23, 2023 at 1:02:51 AM UTC-6, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 2, Round 9 - Canadiana Geography - Famous Toronto Locations
>
> We give you the address, you name the well-known Toronto building
> or institution """located there""".

Sorry, can't help you with this one.

5
> * B. Walter White's Chemistry Quiz
>
> B1. What is the term for chemical reactions that release heat?

exothermic
> B2. Two substances are used as precursors in methamphetamine
> production. One is an industrial compound used in production
> of pesticides, solvents, etc., and now closely monitored
> by government; the other is a once widely available
> decongestant. Name either.

pseudoephidrine

> * E. Bad Show
>
> E1. This summer 2013 TV-movie may be a contender for all-time
> worst. Name the thriller with the, ah, biting weather plot.

"Sharknado"
> * F. Badly Dressed Business
>
> F1. Name the company whose CEO blamed the shape of his customers'
> bodies for problems with the sheerness of their yoga pants.

Lululemon
--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 2, Rounds 9-10: TO places, bad challenge

<ttbvqa$2fnu8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4553&group=rec.games.trivia#4553

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2023 21:37:46 -0600
 by: Pete Gayde - Sat, 25 Feb 2023 03:37 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-01-20,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Cellar Rats, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
> answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 2, Round 9 - Canadiana Geography - Famous Toronto Locations
>
> Game 1 had no Canadiana round, so this time you get an extra one.
> Lucky you!
>
> We give you the address, you name the well-known Toronto building
> or institution """located there""".
>
> 1. 30 Yonge St.

Ontario Science Centre; Hockey Hall of Fame

> 2. 60 Simcoe St.

Ontario Science Centre; Hockey Hall of Fame

> 3. 37 King St. E.

Ontario Science Centre; Hockey Hall of Fame

> 4. 60 Queen St. W.

Ontario Science Centre; Hockey Hall of Fame

> 5. 92 Front St. E.

Ontario Science Centre; Hockey Hall of Fame

> 6. 100 Front St. W.

Ontario Science Centre; Hockey Hall of Fame

> 7. 317 Dundas St. W.

Ontario Science Centre; Hockey Hall of Fame

> 8. 581 Bloor St. W. """-- for the time being""".

Maple Leaf Garden

> 9. 279 Yonge St. (Hint: Part of an international chain.)
> 10. 1214 Queen St. W. (Hint: Renovated by daughter of famous
> Canadian architect.)

Casa Loma

> ** Game 2, Round 10 - Bad Challenge Round
>
> * A. Bad Sports
>
> A1. What Yankee infielder received one of the longest
> suspensions in baseball history for his involvement with
> Florida's hormone-dispensing Biogenesis clinic?

Alex Rodriguez

> A2. Lance Armstrong admitted to using performance-enhancing
> drugs during all of his Tour de France victories. How many
> times did he -- as we thought at the time -- win the race?

5

> * B. Walter White's Chemistry Quiz
>
> B1. What is the term for chemical reactions that release heat?

Exothermic

> B2. Two substances are used as precursors in methamphetamine
> production. One is an industrial compound used in production
> of pesticides, solvents, etc., and now closely monitored
> by government; the other is a once widely available
> decongestant. Name either.
>

> * C. Bad Government
>
> C1. What was the name of the NSA surveillance program revealed
> by whistleblower Ed Snowden?
>
> C2. What company, founded in Montreal, was blamed for the
> troubled American online health-insurance system rollout?
>

> * D. Bad Mayor
>
> D1. Name the man who was photographed with Mayor Ford and later
> shot dead outside a King St. nightclub.
>
> D2. Name Mayor Ford's friend and part-time driver who was
> charged with drug trafficking and extortion.
>

> * E. Bad Show
>
> E1. This summer 2013 TV-movie may be a contender for all-time
> worst. Name the thriller with the, ah, biting weather plot.

Sharknado

> E2. What dance craze came to global attention at the """latest"""
> MTV music video awards?
>

> * F. Badly Dressed Business
>
> F1. Name the company whose CEO blamed the shape of his customers'
> bodies for problems with the sheerness of their yoga pants.

Lululemon

> F2. The collapsed Bangladesh building that killed over 1,000
> workers contained clothes bearing *what label*, promoted by
> a Canadian retailer?

Pete Gayde

RQFTCICR14 Game 2, Rounds 9-10 answers: TO places, bad challenge

<9uCdnRa0iIdRXWb-nZ2dnZfqn_adnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4554&group=rec.games.trivia#4554

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCICR14 Game 2, Rounds 9-10 answers: TO places, bad challenge
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 20:27:56 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 20:27 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-01-20,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2022-09-09 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

Game 2 is over and the winner is JOSHUA KREITZER.
Hearty congratulations!

> ** Game 2, Round 9 - Canadiana Geography - Famous Toronto Locations

> Game 1 had no Canadiana round, so this time you get an extra one.
> Lucky you!

> We give you the address, you name the well-known Toronto building
> or institution """located there""".

> 1. 30 Yonge St.

Hockey Hall of Fame. 2 for Pete -- making the round count for
everyone.

> 2. 60 Simcoe St.

Roy Thompson Hall.

> 3. 37 King St. E.

Omni King Edward Hotel. Of course, "King Edward" was sufficient.

> 4. 60 Queen St. W.

Old City Hall.

> 5. 92 Front St. E.

St. Lawrence Market north building. "St. Lawrence Market" was
sufficient. (The north building closed in 2015 and replacement with
a new building is, the last I heard, still in progress.)

> 6. 100 Front St. W.

Fairmont Royal York Hotel. Of course, "Royal York" was sufficient.

> 7. 317 Dundas St. W.

Art Gallery of Ontario.

> 8. 581 Bloor St. W. """-- for the time being""".

Honest Ed's store. (It closed at the end of 2016, and this was
already scheduled at the time of the original game. The building was
then demolished and the property redeveloped into a mixed-use complex
under the name Mirvish Village, so I'm accepting that answer also.)

> 9. 279 Yonge St. (Hint: Part of an international chain.)

Hard Rock Cafe. (It closed in 2017. A Shopper's Drug Mart store
now occupies the site, so that answer was acceptable.)

> 10. 1214 Queen St. W. (Hint: Renovated by daughter of famous
> Canadian architect.)

Gladstone Hotel. (Now named Gladstone House, but "Gladstone"
was sufficient.)

> ** Game 2, Round 10 - Bad Challenge Round

> * A. Bad Sports

> A1. What Yankee infielder received one of the longest
> suspensions in baseball history for his involvement with
> Florida's hormone-dispensing Biogenesis clinic?

Alex Rodriguez. 4 for Pete.

> A2. Lance Armstrong admitted to using performance-enhancing
> drugs during all of his Tour de France victories. How many
> times did he -- as we thought at the time -- win the race?

7. 4 for Dan Tilque.

> * B. Walter White's Chemistry Quiz

> B1. What is the term for chemical reactions that release heat?

Exothermic. 4 for everyone -- Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Joshua, and Pete.

> B2. Two substances are used as precursors in methamphetamine
> production. One is an industrial compound used in production
> of pesticides, solvents, etc., and now closely monitored
> by government; the other is a once widely available
> decongestant. Name either.

Methylamine; ephedrine or pseudoephedrine (or Sudafed). 4 for
Dan Blum and Joshua.

> * C. Bad Government

> C1. What was the name of the NSA surveillance program revealed
> by whistleblower Ed Snowden?

PRISM.

> C2. What company, founded in Montreal, was blamed for the
> troubled American online health-insurance system rollout?

CGI.

> * D. Bad Mayor

> D1. Name the man who was photographed with Mayor Ford and later
> shot dead outside a King St. nightclub.

Anthony Smith.

> D2. Name Mayor Ford's friend and part-time driver who was
> charged with drug trafficking and extortion.

Sandro Lisi.

> * E. Bad Show

> E1. This summer 2013 TV-movie may be a contender for all-time
> worst. Name the thriller with the, ah, biting weather plot.

"Sharknado". 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Pete.

> E2. What dance craze came to global attention at the """latest"""
> MTV music video awards?

Twerking.

> * F. Badly Dressed Business

> F1. Name the company whose CEO blamed the shape of his customers'
> bodies for problems with the sheerness of their yoga pants.

Lululemon. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Pete.

> F2. The collapsed Bangladesh building that killed over 1,000
> workers contained clothes bearing *what label*, promoted by
> a Canadian retailer?

Joe Fresh.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 2 ROUNDS-> 3 3 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> His Spo Geo Ent Sci Can Cha FIVE
Joshua Kreitzer 24 22 16 36 16 0 16 114
Dan Blum 20 8 15 36 20 0 16 107
Dan Tilque 28 4 16 20 4 0 8 76
Erland Sommarskog 20 12 16 4 0 -- -- 52
Pete Gayde -- -- 12 -- -- 2 16 30

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Whatever you are, be out and out,
msb@vex.net | not divided or in doubt." -- Brand (Ibsen)