interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCICR14 Game 2, Rounds 7-8 answers - ducks and medical eponyms

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCICR14 Game 2, Rounds 7-8 - ducks and medical eponymsMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 2, Rounds 7-8 - ducks and medical eponymsDan Tilque
+- Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 2, Rounds 7-8 - ducks and medical eponymsErland Sommarskog
+- Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 2, Rounds 7-8 - ducks and medical eponymsDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 2, Rounds 7-8 - ducks and medical eponymsJoshua Kreitzer
`- RQFTCICR14 Game 2, Rounds 7-8 answers - ducks and medical eponymsMark Brader

1
RQFTCICR14 Game 2, Rounds 7-8 - ducks and medical eponyms

<3vycnSfczdH5hG7-nZ2dnZfqnPWdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4542&group=rec.games.trivia#4542

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCICR14 Game 2, Rounds 7-8 - ducks and medical eponyms
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 06:55:32 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 06:55 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-01-20,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Cellar Rats, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 2, Round 7 - Entertainment - Ducks in Pop Culture

1. This company has a duck in its logo. They """are""" the largest
supplier of supplemental insurance in the USA, and life insurance
in Japan. Gilbert Gottfried was fired in 2011 for insensitive
jokes about the Japanese tsunami that year. Name the company.

2. Name this character in the 1995 movie "Babe", a duck who tries
to be useful on the farm so that he won't be eaten. For example,
he crows like a rooster.

All the remaining answers will include the word "duck".

3. Name the reality show featuring the Robertson family and their
business empire. In December 2013 Phil Robertson made anti-gay
bigoted statements.

4. Name the 1908 Beatrix Potter character: a duck who asks a fox
to help her keep her eggs safe.

5. Name the 1843 Hans Christian Anderson story, about a family of
ducks who adopt another bird.

6. Give the nickname of Jon Cryer's character in the 1986 movie
"Pretty in Pink", a John Hughes Brat Pack movie.

7. Name the song that was a novelty hit in 1976 for DJ Rick Dees,
reaching #1 on the Billboard Hot 100.

8. Name the duck character who plays basketball with Michael Jordan
and Bugs Bunny in the 1996 movie "Space Jam".

9. Name the title of the 1933 Marx brothers movie involving schemes
to take over a small country.

10. Name the title of the 1992 Emilio Estevez movie where he
coaches a kids' hockey team.

* Game 2, Round 8 - Science - Eponymous Medical Conditions

We give you the the medical condition named after the doctor(s)
who first described it, and you tell us what organ, tissue, or body
system it effects. In most cases, we'll also accept a description of
key, distinguishing symptoms. For example, if we said Parkinson's
disease, you could say "the brain" or "the central nervous system"
or "movement difficulties" etc.

Be sufficiently specific; if you are too specific you won't be
penalized.

1. Marfan syndrome.
2. Hansen's disease.
3. Ménière's disease.
4. Raynaud's disease.
5. Cushing's disease.
6. Peyronie's disease.
7. Osgood-Schlatter disease.
8. Sjögren's ["SHOW-gren's"] syndrome.
9. Pick's disease. Former Alberta premier Ralph Klein suffered
from this.

10. Fanconi syndrome. (Hint: chicken jerky treats from China have
been implicated in a """recent""" rash of this syndrome in pet
dogs, resulting in the death of over 600 pets to date in the
US alone.)
--
Mark Brader | I remember singing "God Save the Queen" every morning...
Toronto | "Long live our noble Queen!" ... I guess it worked.

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 2, Rounds 7-8 - ducks and medical eponyms

<tt0i5q$rk6p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4543&group=rec.games.trivia#4543

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 11:37:27 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 19:37 UTC

On 2/19/23 22:55, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 2, Round 7 - Entertainment - Ducks in Pop Culture
>
> 1. This company has a duck in its logo. They """are""" the largest
> supplier of supplemental insurance in the USA, and life insurance
> in Japan. Gilbert Gottfried was fired in 2011 for insensitive
> jokes about the Japanese tsunami that year. Name the company.

AFLAC

> 2. Name this character in the 1995 movie "Babe", a duck who tries
> to be useful on the farm so that he won't be eaten. For example,
> he crows like a rooster.
>
> All the remaining answers will include the word "duck".
>
> 3. Name the reality show featuring the Robertson family and their
> business empire. In December 2013 Phil Robertson made anti-gay
> bigoted statements.
>
> 4. Name the 1908 Beatrix Potter character: a duck who asks a fox
> to help her keep her eggs safe.
>
> 5. Name the 1843 Hans Christian Anderson story, about a family of
> ducks who adopt another bird.

The Ugly Duckling

> 6. Give the nickname of Jon Cryer's character in the 1986 movie
> "Pretty in Pink", a John Hughes Brat Pack movie.
>
> 7. Name the song that was a novelty hit in 1976 for DJ Rick Dees,
> reaching #1 on the Billboard Hot 100.

Disco Duck

> 8. Name the duck character who plays basketball with Michael Jordan
> and Bugs Bunny in the 1996 movie "Space Jam".

Donald Duck

> 9. Name the title of the 1933 Marx brothers movie involving schemes
> to take over a small country.

Duck Soup

> 10. Name the title of the 1992 Emilio Estevez movie where he
> coaches a kids' hockey team.

The Mighty ducks

> * Game 2, Round 8 - Science - Eponymous Medical Conditions
>
> We give you the the medical condition named after the doctor(s)
> who first described it, and you tell us what organ, tissue, or body
> system it effects. In most cases, we'll also accept a description of
> key, distinguishing symptoms. For example, if we said Parkinson's
> disease, you could say "the brain" or "the central nervous system"
> or "movement difficulties" etc.
>
> Be sufficiently specific; if you are too specific you won't be
> penalized.
>
> 1. Marfan syndrome.
> 2. Hansen's disease.

nervous system and skin

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 2, Rounds 7-8 - ducks and medical eponyms

<XnsAFB1F1936210FYazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4544&group=rec.games.trivia#4544

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 23:44:52 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 22:44 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 2, Round 7 - Entertainment - Ducks in Pop Culture
> 5. Name the 1843 Hans Christian Anderson story, about a family of
> ducks who adopt another bird.

The Ugly Duckling
> 8. Sjögren's ["SHOW-gren's"] syndrome.

Something like "SHIR-gren's" would match the Swedish pronouciation
better.

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 2, Rounds 7-8 - ducks and medical eponyms

<tt3j1i$665$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4545&group=rec.games.trivia#4545

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2023 23:10:43 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Tue, 21 Feb 2023 23:10 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 2, Round 7 - Entertainment - Ducks in Pop Culture

> 1. This company has a duck in its logo. They """are""" the largest
> supplier of supplemental insurance in the USA, and life insurance
> in Japan. Gilbert Gottfried was fired in 2011 for insensitive
> jokes about the Japanese tsunami that year. Name the company.

AFLAC

> 3. Name the reality show featuring the Robertson family and their
> business empire. In December 2013 Phil Robertson made anti-gay
> bigoted statements.

Duck Dynasty

> 4. Name the 1908 Beatrix Potter character: a duck who asks a fox
> to help her keep her eggs safe.

Jemima Puddleduck

> 5. Name the 1843 Hans Christian Anderson story, about a family of
> ducks who adopt another bird.

The Ugly Duckling

> 6. Give the nickname of Jon Cryer's character in the 1986 movie
> "Pretty in Pink", a John Hughes Brat Pack movie.

Ducky

> 7. Name the song that was a novelty hit in 1976 for DJ Rick Dees,
> reaching #1 on the Billboard Hot 100.

Disco Duck

> 8. Name the duck character who plays basketball with Michael Jordan
> and Bugs Bunny in the 1996 movie "Space Jam".

Daffy Duck

> 9. Name the title of the 1933 Marx brothers movie involving schemes
> to take over a small country.

Duck Soup

> 10. Name the title of the 1992 Emilio Estevez movie where he
> coaches a kids' hockey team.

The Mighty Ducks

> * Game 2, Round 8 - Science - Eponymous Medical Conditions

> 1. Marfan syndrome.

connective tissue

> 2. Hansen's disease.

peripheral nervous system (causes lack of sensation)

> 3. M?ni?re's disease.

vestibular system (causes vertigo)

> 4. Raynaud's disease.

causes extreme sensitivity to cold in extremeties

> 5. Cushing's disease.

thyroid

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCICR14 Game 2, Rounds 7-8 - ducks and medical eponyms

<c09f7d10-e171-4ad0-8065-7e2d572c6ed6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4546&group=rec.games.trivia#4546

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2023 21:02:17 -0800 (PST)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Wed, 22 Feb 2023 05:02 UTC

On Monday, February 20, 2023 at 12:55:36 AM UTC-6, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 2, Round 7 - Entertainment - Ducks in Pop Culture
>
> 1. This company has a duck in its logo. They """are""" the largest
> supplier of supplemental insurance in the USA, and life insurance
> in Japan. Gilbert Gottfried was fired in 2011 for insensitive
> jokes about the Japanese tsunami that year. Name the company.

AFLAC

> All the remaining answers will include the word "duck".
>
> 3. Name the reality show featuring the Robertson family and their
> business empire. In December 2013 Phil Robertson made anti-gay
> bigoted statements.

"Duck Dynasty"
> 4. Name the 1908 Beatrix Potter character: a duck who asks a fox
> to help her keep her eggs safe.

Jemima Puddle-Duck

> 5. Name the 1843 Hans Christian Anderson story, about a family of
> ducks who adopt another bird.

"The Ugly Duckling"

> 6. Give the nickname of Jon Cryer's character in the 1986 movie
> "Pretty in Pink", a John Hughes Brat Pack movie.

Ducky

> 7. Name the song that was a novelty hit in 1976 for DJ Rick Dees,
> reaching #1 on the Billboard Hot 100.

"Disco Duck"

> 8. Name the duck character who plays basketball with Michael Jordan
> and Bugs Bunny in the 1996 movie "Space Jam".

Daffy Duck
> 9. Name the title of the 1933 Marx brothers movie involving schemes
> to take over a small country.

"Duck Soup"

> 10. Name the title of the 1992 Emilio Estevez movie where he
> coaches a kids' hockey team.

"The Mighty Ducks"

> * Game 2, Round 8 - Science - Eponymous Medical Conditions
>
> We give you the the medical condition named after the doctor(s)
> who first described it, and you tell us what organ, tissue, or body
> system it effects. In most cases, we'll also accept a description of
> key, distinguishing symptoms. For example, if we said Parkinson's
> disease, you could say "the brain" or "the central nervous system"
> or "movement difficulties" etc.
>
> Be sufficiently specific; if you are too specific you won't be
> penalized.
>
> 1. Marfan syndrome.

tallness and a weakened heart

> 2. Hansen's disease.

leprosy
> 3. Ménière's disease.

loss of balance

> 6. Peyronie's disease.

penis (?)

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

RQFTCICR14 Game 2, Rounds 7-8 answers - ducks and medical eponyms

<5r-dnbYk95erkmr-nZ2dnZfqnPWdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4548&group=rec.games.trivia#4548

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCICR14 Game 2, Rounds 7-8 answers - ducks and medical eponyms
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2023 07:01:10 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 23 Feb 2023 07:01 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-01-20,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2022-09-09 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 2, Round 7 - Entertainment - Ducks in Pop Culture

This was the easiest round in the original game.

> 1. This company has a duck in its logo. They """are""" the largest
> supplier of supplemental insurance in the USA, and life insurance
> in Japan. Gilbert Gottfried was fired in 2011 for insensitive
> jokes about the Japanese tsunami that year. Name the company.

Aflac. (Still true, I believe.) 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum,
and Joshua.

> 2. Name this character in the 1995 movie "Babe", a duck who tries
> to be useful on the farm so that he won't be eaten. For example,
> he crows like a rooster.

Ferdinand.

> All the remaining answers will include the word "duck".

And therefore "duck" by itself was not an acceptable guess!

> 3. Name the reality show featuring the Robertson family and their
> business empire. In December 2013 Phil Robertson made anti-gay
> bigoted statements.

"Duck Dynasty". 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 4. Name the 1908 Beatrix Potter character: a duck who asks a fox
> to help her keep her eggs safe.

Jemima Puddle-duck. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 5. Name the 1843 Hans Christian Anderson story, about a family of
> ducks who adopt another bird.

"The Ugly Duckling". 4 for everyone -- Dan Tilque, Erland, Dan Blum,
and Joshua.

> 6. Give the nickname of Jon Cryer's character in the 1986 movie
> "Pretty in Pink", a John Hughes Brat Pack movie.

Duckie. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 7. Name the song that was a novelty hit in 1976 for DJ Rick Dees,
> reaching #1 on the Billboard Hot 100.

"Disco Duck". 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Joshua.

> 8. Name the duck character who plays basketball with Michael Jordan
> and Bugs Bunny in the 1996 movie "Space Jam".

Daffy Duck. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 9. Name the title of the 1933 Marx brothers movie involving schemes
> to take over a small country.

"Duck Soup". 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Joshua.

> 10. Name the title of the 1992 Emilio Estevez movie where he
> coaches a kids' hockey team.

"The Mighty Ducks". 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Joshua.

An NHL expansion team, originally owned by the Disney company,
was named after the movie a year later. Thankfully, in 2006 they
dropped the word "Mighty" and became the Anaheim Ducks.

> * Game 2, Round 8 - Science - Eponymous Medical Conditions

> We give you the the medical condition named after the doctor(s)
> who first described it, and you tell us what organ, tissue, or body
> system it effects. In most cases, we'll also accept a description of
> key, distinguishing symptoms. For example, if we said Parkinson's
> disease, you could say "the brain" or "the central nervous system"
> or "movement difficulties" etc.

> Be sufficiently specific; if you are too specific you won't be
> penalized.

This was the hardest round in the original game, and the
second-hardest of the entire season.

> 1. Marfan syndrome.

Connective tissue, in turn affecting bones and other organs; unusually
long, thin limbs and fingers. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 2. Hansen's disease.

This is another name for leprosy; any answer indicating this was
acceptable. 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Joshua.

> 3. Ménière's disease.

Inner ear; vertigo, dizziness. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 4. Raynaud's disease.

Circulatory system; reduced blood flow to fingers and toes in response
to cold (or sometimes emotional stress). 4 for Dan Blum.

> 5. Cushing's disease.

Pituitary gland (it can lead to chyroid tumors, so I accepted
:thyroid"); too much cortisol, weight gain e.g. around the face.
4 for Dan Blum.

> 6. Peyronie's disease.

Connective tissue of the penis; penile curvature, dysfunction.
4 for Joshua.

> 7. Osgood-Schlatter disease.

Knees; painful or knobby knees.

> 8. Sjögren's ["SHOW-gren's"] syndrome.

Endocrine glands; destroys the ability to produce tears and saliva.

> 9. Pick's disease. Former Alberta premier Ralph Klein suffered
> from this.

Brain, specifically the frontal and temporal lobes; dementia, loss
of speech.

> 10. Fanconi syndrome. (Hint: chicken jerky treats from China have
> been implicated in a """recent""" rash of this syndrome in pet
> dogs, resulting in the death of over 600 pets to date in the
> US alone.)

Kidneys; affects reabsorption of key nutrients including glucose,
amino acids, uric acid, phosphate, and bicarbonate.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 2 ROUNDS-> 3 3 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> His Spo Geo Ent Sci THREE
Joshua Kreitzer 24 22 16 36 16 82
Dan Blum 20 8 15 36 20 76
Dan Tilque 28 4 16 20 4 64
Erland Sommarskog 20 12 16 4 0 48
Pete Gayde -- -- 12 -- -- 12

--
Mark Brader | It is easy to run a secure computer system. You
Toronto | merely have to disconnect all dial-up connections,