I don't want to be young again, I just don't want to get any older.

interests / rec.games.pinball / Re: STNG DIsplay Question

SubjectAuthor
* STNG DIsplay QuestionEric-STNG
+* Re: STNG DIsplay QuestionJohn Robertson
|`* Re: STNG DIsplay QuestionEric-STNG
| +* Re: STNG DIsplay QuestionPin Del
| |+- Re: STNG DIsplay QuestionPin Del
| |`- Re: STNG DIsplay QuestionPaul
| `- Re: STNG DIsplay QuestionJohn Robertson
`- Re: STNG DIsplay Questiontacxbo...@gmail.com

1
STNG DIsplay Question

<30daa9e3-6245-4161-97d1-414abbd09eb7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4520&group=rec.games.pinball#4520

Newsgroups: rec.games.pinball
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 14:39:51 -0800 (PST)
Subject: STNG DIsplay Question
From: ericlun...@gmail.com (Eric-STNG)
 by: Eric-STNG - Sat, 22 Jan 2022 22:39 UTC

I have a STNG game and my display is having an odd issue. It works fine when entering the settings menu, it tests out fine in the system test.

However, when i move to play the game, the display goes blank. if i move back to the settings menu, the display comes back.

I tested the pins on the Display and all the voltages appeared to be correct.

Once in a while it will work, but then freezes

Any suggestions?

Re: STNG DIsplay Question

<6ISdnSyx6uvxb3H8nZ2dnUU7-SnNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4522&group=rec.games.pinball#4522

Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 22:15:07 -0800
Subject: Re: STNG DIsplay Question
Newsgroups: rec.games.pinball
From: spa...@flippers.com (John Robertson)
 by: John Robertson - Sun, 23 Jan 2022 06:15 UTC

On 2022/01/22 2:39 p.m., Eric-STNG wrote:
> I have a STNG game and my display is having an odd issue. It works fine when entering the settings menu, it tests out fine in the system test.
>
> However, when i move to play the game, the display goes blank. if i move back to the settings menu, the display comes back.
>
> I tested the pins on the Display and all the voltages appeared to be correct.
>
> Once in a while it will work, but then freezes
>
> Any suggestions?

Can you run the display tests in the Diagnostics menu? This covers the
various image "pages" that the DMD controller uses to generate the
screen displays.

I suspect that one or more pages is missing...in which case I'd try a
new 6264 RAM and, if not fixed, then either poke with a logic probe, or
find someone to fix it or replace it.

John :-#)#

John's Jukes Ltd.
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com

Re: STNG DIsplay Question

<50f9bb98-0700-4907-8ecd-861374e237e8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4523&group=rec.games.pinball#4523

Newsgroups: rec.games.pinball
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 08:11:25 -0800 (PST)
From: ericlun...@gmail.com (Eric-STNG)
 by: Eric-STNG - Sun, 23 Jan 2022 16:11 UTC

On Sunday, January 23, 2022 at 1:15:20 AM UTC-5, John Robertson wrote:
> On 2022/01/22 2:39 p.m., Eric-STNG wrote:
> > I have a STNG game and my display is having an odd issue. It works fine when entering the settings menu, it tests out fine in the system test.
> >
> > However, when i move to play the game, the display goes blank. if i move back to the settings menu, the display comes back.
> >
> > I tested the pins on the Display and all the voltages appeared to be correct.
> >
> > Once in a while it will work, but then freezes
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> Can you run the display tests in the Diagnostics menu? This covers the
> various image "pages" that the DMD controller uses to generate the
> screen displays.
>
> I suspect that one or more pages is missing...in which case I'd try a
> new 6264 RAM and, if not fixed, then either poke with a logic probe, or
> find someone to fix it or replace it.
>
> John :-#)#
>
> --
> (Please post followups or tech inquiries to the USENET newsgroup)
> John's Jukes Ltd.
> MOVED to #7 - 3979 Marine Way, Burnaby, BC, Canada V5J 5E3
> (604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
> www.flippers.com
> "Old pinballers never die, they just flip out."
The Display tests out perfectly and as well as RAM Test OK. All the pages are there.

I am waiting on a ribbon cable to come, hopefully that is the issue.

Thanks,

Re: STNG DIsplay Question

<7d3baf23-5c30-450a-b3ee-92659c398fdan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4526&group=rec.games.pinball#4526

Newsgroups: rec.games.pinball
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 20:47:03 -0800 (PST)
From: delmail...@gmail.com (Pin Del)
 by: Pin Del - Wed, 26 Jan 2022 04:47 UTC

On Sunday, January 23, 2022 at 11:11:29 AM UTC-5, Eric-STNG wrote:
> On Sunday, January 23, 2022 at 1:15:20 AM UTC-5, John Robertson wrote:
> > On 2022/01/22 2:39 p.m., Eric-STNG wrote:
> > > I have a STNG game and my display is having an odd issue. It works fine when entering the settings menu, it tests out fine in the system test.
> > >
> > > However, when i move to play the game, the display goes blank. if i move back to the settings menu, the display comes back.
> > >
> > > I tested the pins on the Display and all the voltages appeared to be correct.
> > >
> > > Once in a while it will work, but then freezes
> > >
> > > Any suggestions?
> > Can you run the display tests in the Diagnostics menu? This covers the
> > various image "pages" that the DMD controller uses to generate the
> > screen displays.
> >
> > I suspect that one or more pages is missing...in which case I'd try a
> > new 6264 RAM and, if not fixed, then either poke with a logic probe, or
> > find someone to fix it or replace it.
> >
> > John :-#)#
> >
> > --
> > (Please post followups or tech inquiries to the USENET newsgroup)
> > John's Jukes Ltd.
> > MOVED to #7 - 3979 Marine Way, Burnaby, BC, Canada V5J 5E3
> > (604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
> > www.flippers.com
> > "Old pinballers never die, they just flip out."
> The Display tests out perfectly and as well as RAM Test OK. All the pages are there.
>
> I am waiting on a ribbon cable to come, hopefully that is the issue.
>
> Thanks,

in & I'm wondering in its because the games have been sitting close to 2 years with out being playedI'm having the same problemon 2 of mt games that I just installed Nvrams on after the games sitting close to 2 years with out being played ?
I thought ribbon cables to,But thas is not the problem.

Pin-Del,

Re: STNG DIsplay Question

<7a31fede-9608-4c40-ac0a-f0bc2063b02an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4527&group=rec.games.pinball#4527

Newsgroups: rec.games.pinball
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 21:03:08 -0800 (PST)
From: delmail...@gmail.com (Pin Del)
 by: Pin Del - Wed, 26 Jan 2022 05:03 UTC

On Tuesday, January 25, 2022 at 11:47:08 PM UTC-5, Pin Del wrote:
> On Sunday, January 23, 2022 at 11:11:29 AM UTC-5, Eric-STNG wrote:

> > > Can you run the display tests in the Diagnostics menu? This covers the
> > > various image "pages" that the DMD controller uses to generate the
> > > screen displays.
> > >
> > > I suspect that one or more pages is missing...in which case I'd try a
> > > new 6264 RAM and, if not fixed, then either poke with a logic probe, or
> > > find someone to fix it or replace it.
> > >
> > > John :-#)#
> > >
> > > --
> > > (Please post followups or tech inquiries to the USENET newsgroup)
> > > John's Jukes Ltd.
> > > MOVED to #7 - 3979 Marine Way, Burnaby, BC, Canada V5J 5E3
> > > (604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
> > > www.flippers.com
> > > "Old pinballers never die, they just flip out."
> > The Display tests out perfectly and as well as RAM Test OK. All the pages are there.
> >
> > I am waiting on a ribbon cable to come, hopefully that is the issue.
> >
> > Thanks,
> in & I'm wondering in its because the games have been sitting close to 2 years with out being playedI'm having the same problemon 2 of mt games that I just installed Nvrams on after the games sitting close to 2 years with out being played ?
> I thought ribbon cables to,But thas is not the problem.
>
> Pin-Del,

Sorry about the typos, I'm sitting in a dark room

Re: STNG DIsplay Question

<sst4sg$1all$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4533&group=rec.games.pinball#4533

From: pef...@comcast.net (Paul)
Newsgroups: rec.games.pinball
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 22:51:42 -0500
 by: Paul - Thu, 27 Jan 2022 03:51 UTC

On 1/25/2022 11:47 PM, Pin Del wrote:
> On Sunday, January 23, 2022 at 11:11:29 AM UTC-5, Eric-STNG wrote:

>>> Can you run the display tests in the Diagnostics menu? This covers the
>>> various image "pages" that the DMD controller uses to generate the
>>> screen displays.
>>>
>>> I suspect that one or more pages is missing...in which case I'd try a
>>> new 6264 RAM and, if not fixed, then either poke with a logic probe, or
>>> find someone to fix it or replace it.
>>>
>>> John :-#)#
>>>
>>> --
>>> (Please post followups or tech inquiries to the USENET newsgroup)
>>> John's Jukes Ltd.
>>> MOVED to #7 - 3979 Marine Way, Burnaby, BC, Canada V5J 5E3
>>> (604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
>>> www.flippers.com
>>> "Old pinballers never die, they just flip out."
>> The Display tests out perfectly and as well as RAM Test OK. All the pages are there.
>>
>> I am waiting on a ribbon cable to come, hopefully that is the issue.
>>
>> Thanks,
>

> in & I'm wondering in its because the games have been sitting close to 2 years with out being playedI'm having the same problemon 2 of mt games that I just installed Nvrams on after the games sitting close to 2 years with out being played ?
> I thought ribbon cables to,But thas is not the problem.
>
> Pin-Del,

If that were the case wouldn't doing a factory reset and or going back
to the factory ram clear the issue?

Paul

Re: STNG DIsplay Question

<aO6dnXvC_atat2_8nZ2dnUU7-ePNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4534&group=rec.games.pinball#4534

Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 21:16:54 -0800
Newsgroups: rec.games.pinball
From: spa...@flippers.com (John Robertson)
 by: John Robertson - Thu, 27 Jan 2022 05:16 UTC

On 2022/01/23 8:11 a.m., Eric-STNG wrote:
> On Sunday, January 23, 2022 at 1:15:20 AM UTC-5, John Robertson wrote:
>> On 2022/01/22 2:39 p.m., Eric-STNG wrote:
>>> I have a STNG game and my display is having an odd issue. It works fine when entering the settings menu, it tests out fine in the system test.
>>>
>>> However, when i move to play the game, the display goes blank. if i move back to the settings menu, the display comes back.
>>>
>>> I tested the pins on the Display and all the voltages appeared to be correct.
>>>
>>> Once in a while it will work, but then freezes
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?
>> Can you run the display tests in the Diagnostics menu? This covers the
>> various image "pages" that the DMD controller uses to generate the
>> screen displays.
>>
>> I suspect that one or more pages is missing...in which case I'd try a
>> new 6264 RAM and, if not fixed, then either poke with a logic probe, or
>> find someone to fix it or replace it.
>>
>> John :-#)#
>>

> The Display tests out perfectly and as well as RAM Test OK. All the pages are there.
>
> I am waiting on a ribbon cable to come, hopefully that is the issue.
>
> Thanks,

I doubt the ribbon cable will sort this out, a simple test is to unplug
the ribbon cable from the sound board and move that end to the DMD
driver board. The ribbon cable from the DMD driver board to the DMD
display is working fine, no point in replacing it.

At this point I'm thinking something is wrong on the DMD driver board,
but would have to have it on my test fixture to pin it down. I have
suspects, but without tests this would be shotgun fixing which I hate.

Anyone closer to you that has tech skills and can look at your DMD
driver board?

John :-#)#

John's Jukes Ltd.
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com

Re: STNG DIsplay Question

<9d29da1a-ce47-49bf-a3c9-766a4c05ea35n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4537&group=rec.games.pinball#4537

Newsgroups: rec.games.pinball
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2022 06:26:46 -0800 (PST)
From: tacxboxf...@gmail.com (tacxbo...@gmail.com)
 by: tacxbo...@gmail.com - Thu, 27 Jan 2022 14:26 UTC

On Saturday, January 22, 2022 at 2:39:56 PM UTC-8, Eric-STNG wrote:
> I have a STNG game and my display is having an odd issue. It works fine when entering the settings menu, it tests out fine in the system test.
>
> However, when i move to play the game, the display goes blank. if i move back to the settings menu, the display comes back.
>
> I tested the pins on the Display and all the voltages appeared to be correct.
>
> Once in a while it will work, but then freezes
>
> Any suggestions?

Where are you located? I agree with John, I'd be shocked if a new ribbon cable solves this. Also, are you running a standard DMD display, Pin2DMD, or other display?

interests / rec.games.pinball / Re: STNG DIsplay Question