Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2023 11:47:22 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: TN: 1993 red Burgundy at a Hawaiian restaurant
From: dalewill...@gmail.com (dalewilli...@gmail.com)
 by: dalewilli...@gmail.c - Fri, 21 Apr 2023 18:47 UTC

Our “Bordeaux” group veered off again, meeting for a look at 1993 Burgundy at Noreetuh. Great food as always- fried chicken, musubi (spam, pork jowl, galbi, scallop) , skewers (Iberico pork, beef, artichoke heart), ramp gnocchi, steak. The fried chicken wines

2004 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne Rose
Just a great bottle of rose. Strawberries and raspberries, rose petals, chalk. A gentle bready note, long and rich. A-/A

2008 AR Lenoble Blanc de Blancs
Yeasty, sweet pear fruit, good length. B+/B

NV Gosset 15 Ans de Cave a minima
This is a blend of late 90s vintages that spent more than 15 years on lees. There’s a dried fruit note and some almond nuttiness that shows the aging, but it is fresh and bright all the same. Quite fun. B+

1993 Burguet Gevrey-Chambertin
Fairly ripe, deep black cherry fruit with some barnyard. Solid. B

1993 Emmanuel Rouget Nuits St. Georges
Fairly large framed, sweet red and black cherry, with incense and leather notes. B+ (I liked, some loved)

1993 d'Angerville Clos des Ducs Volnay 1er
No delicate little Volnay here, this is a powerful wine with some tannin remaining. Sappy, black cherry fruit, smoky,very long. (I loved, some just liked) A-

1993 Drouhin Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru
Lovely showing, a pointe and complex. Ethereal, fragrant, perfumed, with clean long finish. A-/B+

1993 Jadot Clos St Jacques Gevrey-Chambertin 1er
Great showing. Clearly GC quality. Black plum and cherry, woodsmoke, mustard seed. Supple tannins, integrated acids, impressive length. My red WOTN on a very strong night. A-/A

1993 Faiveley Chambertin-Clos de Beze
Solid fruit, good length, some loved, I liked but thought it still showed a severe wood presence. B+/B

1993 Chezeaux (Ponsot) Clos St. Denis
A bit of barnyard, slightly prickly acids, but tasty black cherry fruit with fallen leaves and earth. B/B+

1993 Ponsot Chapelle Chambertin
Full and a tad stern, with red cherry and plum fruit, an almost Rhone-ish smoked meat note, quite long. B+

Really fun lineup, very lucky all the wines showed well

One person (in the wine biz) was having his birthday, and restaurant gave us a Sauternes in honor of his birthday. The 2013 Lions de Suduiraut was light and fresh, a touch of apricots and honey, almost like a botrytis demi-sec . Not complex but quite fun! B

Good night.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.