Suicide is simply a case of mistaken identity.

interests / alt.home.repair / OT - Police stops - the first 45 words determine what happens next.

SubjectAuthor
* OT - Police stops - the first 45 words determine what happens next.Bob F
+* OT - Police stops - the first 45 words determine what happens next.micky
|`* OT - Police stops - the first 45 words determine what happensEd P
| +- OT - Police stops - the first 45 words determine what happensT
| +- OT - Police stops - the first 45 words determine what happens next.micky
| `* OT - Police stops - the first 45 words determine what happensBob F
|  `* OT - Police stops - the first 45 words determine what happensEd Pawlowski
|   `* OT - Police stops - the first 45 words determine what happensBob F
|    `* OT - Police stops - the first 45 words determine what happensEd Pawlowski
|     `* OT - Police stops - the first 45 words determine what happensLeonard Blaisdell
|      +* OT - Police stops - the first 45 words determine what happens next.micky
|      |`* OT - Police stops - the first 45 words determine what happensLeonard Blaisdell
|      | `* OT - Police stops - the first 45 words determine what happens next.micky
|      |  `- OT - Police stops - the first 45 words determine what happensLeonard Blaisdell
|      `* OT - Police stops - the first 45 words determine what happensCindy Hamilton
|       `* OT - Police stops - the first 45 words determine what happens next.micky
|        `- OT - Police stops - the first 45 words determine what happensCindy Hamilton
+- OT - Police stops - the first 45 words determine what happensT
`- OT - Police stops - the first 45 words determine what happensOscar

1
OT - Police stops - the first 45 words determine what happens next.

<u53akb$1mgag$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=44401&group=alt.home.repair#44401

From: bobnos...@gmail.com (Bob F)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: OT - Police stops - the first 45 words determine what happens next.
Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 15:57:09 -0700
 by: Bob F - Mon, 29 May 2023 22:57 UTC

"When a police officer stops a Black driver, the first 45 words said by
that officer hold important clues about how their encounter is likely to go.

Car stops that result in a search, handcuffing, or arrest are nearly
three times more likely to begin with the police officer issuing a
command, such as "Keep your hands on the wheel" or "Turn the car off."

That's according to a new study in the Proceedings of the National
Academy of Sciences that examined police body-camera footage of 577
routine car stops involving Black drivers.

Eighty-one of these stops ultimately involved searches, handcuffings, or
arrests. That kind of outcome was less likely when a police officer's
first words provided a reason for the stop.

"The first 45 words, which is less than 30 seconds on average, spoken by
a law enforcement officer during a car stop to a Black driver can be
quite telling about how the stop will end," says Eugenia Rho, a
researcher at Virginia Tech. "

https://www.npr.org/2023/05/29/1178279383/for-black-drivers-a-police-officers-first-45-words-are-a-portent-of-whats-to-com

Re: OT - Police stops - the first 45 words determine what happens next.

<b6da7itdemtsvpisvcouat2co5q94qetv4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=44406&group=alt.home.repair#44406

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 19:31:45 -0400
 by: micky - Mon, 29 May 2023 23:31 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 29 May 2023 15:57:09 -0700, Bob F
<bobnospam@gmail.com> wrote:

>"When a police officer stops a Black driver, the first 45 words said by
>that officer hold important clues about how their encounter is likely to go.
>
>Car stops that result in a search, handcuffing, or arrest are nearly
>three times more likely to begin with the police officer issuing a
>command, such as "Keep your hands on the wheel" or "Turn the car off."
>
>That's according to a new study in the Proceedings of the National
>Academy of Sciences that examined police body-camera footage of 577
>routine car stops involving Black drivers.
>
>Eighty-one of these stops ultimately involved searches, handcuffings, or
>arrests. That kind of outcome was less likely when a police officer's
>first words provided a reason for the stop.
>
>"The first 45 words, which is less than 30 seconds on average, spoken by
>a law enforcement officer during a car stop to a Black driver can be
>quite telling about how the stop will end," says Eugenia Rho, a
>researcher at Virginia Tech. "
>
>https://www.npr.org/2023/05/29/1178279383/for-black-drivers-a-police-officers-first-45-words-are-a-portent-of-whats-to-com

Good article. I had 1 or 2 possible objections to the part you quote,
until I read the whole thing, and they would be relevant to part but not
most of it.

I find that the black drivers in my n'hood drive extremely cautiously.
Sometimes it annoys me because I'm going behind one. They may be afraid
of being stopped. I had thought about that before, because that, and
having been in a serious accident before are tthe two main reasons
people drive slowly, even slower than the limit. .

Re: OT - Police stops - the first 45 words determine what happens next.

<9VadM.682460$5S78.275530@fx48.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=44408&group=alt.home.repair#44408

Subject: Re: OT - Police stops - the first 45 words determine what happens
next.
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed P)
Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 19:52:37 -0400
 by: Ed P - Mon, 29 May 2023 23:52 UTC

On 5/29/2023 7:31 PM, micky wrote:
> In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 29 May 2023 15:57:09 -0700, Bob F
> <bobnospam@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> "When a police officer stops a Black driver, the first 45 words said by
>> that officer hold important clues about how their encounter is likely to go.
>>
>> Car stops that result in a search, handcuffing, or arrest are nearly
>> three times more likely to begin with the police officer issuing a
>> command, such as "Keep your hands on the wheel" or "Turn the car off."
>>
>> That's according to a new study in the Proceedings of the National
>> Academy of Sciences that examined police body-camera footage of 577
>> routine car stops involving Black drivers.
>>
>> Eighty-one of these stops ultimately involved searches, handcuffings, or
>> arrests. That kind of outcome was less likely when a police officer's
>> first words provided a reason for the stop.
>>
>> "The first 45 words, which is less than 30 seconds on average, spoken by
>> a law enforcement officer during a car stop to a Black driver can be
>> quite telling about how the stop will end," says Eugenia Rho, a
>> researcher at Virginia Tech. "
>>
>> https://www.npr.org/2023/05/29/1178279383/for-black-drivers-a-police-officers-first-45-words-are-a-portent-of-whats-to-com
>
> Good article. I had 1 or 2 possible objections to the part you quote,
> until I read the whole thing, and they would be relevant to part but not
> most of it.
>
> I find that the black drivers in my n'hood drive extremely cautiously.
> Sometimes it annoys me because I'm going behind one. They may be afraid
> of being stopped. I had thought about that before, because that, and
> having been in a serious accident before are tthe two main reasons
> people drive slowly, even slower than the limit. .

Do you ever watch On Patrol Live? A&E network, Friday and Saturday
nights.

I'm sure many black drivers are stopped because they are black, but the
conversation often starts with "What the Fxxx you stopping me for, I
didn't do nuttin"

Re: OT - Police stops - the first 45 words determine what happens next.

<u53ecc$1mr4h$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=44410&group=alt.home.repair#44410

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
next.
Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 17:01:16 -0700
 by: T - Tue, 30 May 2023 00:01 UTC

On 5/29/23 15:57, Bob F wrote:
> That's according to a new study in the Proceedings of the National
> Academy of Sciences that examined police body-camera footage of 577
> routine car stops involving Black drivers.

And they did not also check stops of white drivers
as a reference?
Hmmmmm... Sound like pay for results.

Re: OT - Police stops - the first 45 words determine what happens next.

<u53ft6$1n34h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=44411&group=alt.home.repair#44411

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
next.
Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 17:27:18 -0700
 by: T - Tue, 30 May 2023 00:27 UTC

On 5/29/23 16:52, Ed P wrote:
> On 5/29/2023 7:31 PM, micky wrote:
>> In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 29 May 2023 15:57:09 -0700, Bob F
>> <bobnospam@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> "When a police officer stops a Black driver, the first 45 words said by
>>> that officer hold important clues about how their encounter is likely
>>> to go.
>>>
>>> Car stops that result in a search, handcuffing, or arrest are nearly
>>> three times more likely to begin with the police officer issuing a
>>> command, such as "Keep your hands on the wheel" or "Turn the car off."
>>>
>>> That's according to a new study in the Proceedings of the National
>>> Academy of Sciences that examined police body-camera footage of 577
>>> routine car stops involving Black drivers.
>>>
>>> Eighty-one of these stops ultimately involved searches, handcuffings, or
>>> arrests. That kind of outcome was less likely when a police officer's
>>> first words provided a reason for the stop.
>>>
>>> "The first 45 words, which is less than 30 seconds on average, spoken by
>>> a law enforcement officer during a car stop to a Black driver can be
>>> quite telling about how the stop will end," says Eugenia Rho, a
>>> researcher at Virginia Tech. "
>>>
>>> https://www.npr.org/2023/05/29/1178279383/for-black-drivers-a-police-officers-first-45-words-are-a-portent-of-whats-to-com
>>
>> Good article.  I had 1 or 2 possible objections to the part you quote,
>> until I read the whole thing, and they would be relevant to part but not
>> most of it.
>>
>> I find that the black drivers in my n'hood drive extremely cautiously.
>> Sometimes it annoys me because I'm going behind one.  They may be afraid
>> of being stopped.  I had thought about that before, because that, and
>> having been in a serious accident before are tthe two main reasons
>> people drive slowly, even slower than the limit. .
>

> Do you ever watch On Patrol Live?  A&E network, Friday and Saturday nights.
>
> I'm sure many black drivers are stopped because they are black, but the
> conversation often starts with "What the Fxxx you stopping me for,  I
> didn't do nuttin"
Chris Rock - How not to get your ass kicked by the police!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj0mtxXEGE8

Re: OT - Police stops - the first 45 words determine what happens next.

<t5cdM.512259$0dpc.259037@fx33.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=44415&group=alt.home.repair#44415

next.
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: osc...@127.0.0.1 (Oscar)
Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 21:11:57 -0400
 by: Oscar - Tue, 30 May 2023 01:11 UTC

Bob F wrote:
> "When a police officer stops a Black driver, the first 45 words said by that officer hold important clues about how their encounter is likely to go.
>
> Car stops that result in a search, handcuffing, or arrest are nearly three times more likely to begin with the police officer issuing a command, such as "Keep your hands on the wheel" or "Turn the car off."
>
> That's according to a new study in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences that examined police body-camera footage of 577 routine car stops involving Black drivers.
>
> Eighty-one of these stops ultimately involved searches, handcuffings, or arrests. That kind of outcome was less likely when a police officer's first words provided a reason for the stop.
>
> "The first 45 words, which is less than 30 seconds on average, spoken by a law enforcement officer during a car stop to a Black driver can be quite telling about how the stop will end," says Eugenia Rho, a researcher at Virginia Tech. "
>
> https://www.npr.org/2023/05/29/1178279383/for-black-drivers-a-police-officers-first-45-words-are-a-portent-of-whats-to-com

Chicago suffers 34 shot, 8 killed as bloody Memorial Day weekend nears end.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/chicago-suffers-34-shot-8-killed-bloody-memorial-day-weekend-nears-end

Looks like a PR problem to me.

--
If the left could compete in the realm of ideas, they wouldn't want to censor us.

If the left were truly a majority, they wouldn't need to censor us.

Re: OT - Police stops - the first 45 words determine what happens next.

<0kja7il2dt2rl079pageiddh45hv6hvn8n@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=44416&group=alt.home.repair#44416

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 21:18:15 -0400
 by: micky - Tue, 30 May 2023 01:18 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 29 May 2023 19:52:37 -0400, Ed P
<esp@snet.xxx> wrote:

>On 5/29/2023 7:31 PM, micky wrote:
>> In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 29 May 2023 15:57:09 -0700, Bob F
>> <bobnospam@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> "When a police officer stops a Black driver, the first 45 words said by
>>> that officer hold important clues about how their encounter is likely to go.
>>>
>>> Car stops that result in a search, handcuffing, or arrest are nearly
>>> three times more likely to begin with the police officer issuing a
>>> command, such as "Keep your hands on the wheel" or "Turn the car off."
>>>
>>> That's according to a new study in the Proceedings of the National
>>> Academy of Sciences that examined police body-camera footage of 577
>>> routine car stops involving Black drivers.
>>>
>>> Eighty-one of these stops ultimately involved searches, handcuffings, or
>>> arrests. That kind of outcome was less likely when a police officer's
>>> first words provided a reason for the stop.
>>>
>>> "The first 45 words, which is less than 30 seconds on average, spoken by
>>> a law enforcement officer during a car stop to a Black driver can be
>>> quite telling about how the stop will end," says Eugenia Rho, a
>>> researcher at Virginia Tech. "
>>>
>>> https://www.npr.org/2023/05/29/1178279383/for-black-drivers-a-police-officers-first-45-words-are-a-portent-of-whats-to-com
>>
>> Good article. I had 1 or 2 possible objections to the part you quote,
>> until I read the whole thing, and they would be relevant to part but not
>> most of it.
>>
>> I find that the black drivers in my n'hood drive extremely cautiously.
>> Sometimes it annoys me because I'm going behind one. They may be afraid
>> of being stopped. I had thought about that before, because that, and
>> having been in a serious accident before are tthe two main reasons
>> people drive slowly, even slower than the limit. .
>

>Do you ever watch On Patrol Live? A&E network, Friday and Saturday
>nights.
>
>I'm sure many black drivers are stopped because they are black, but the
>conversation often starts with "What the Fxxx you stopping me for, I
>didn't do nuttin"

I don't think the black people in my n'hood would say that. Neither
part of it.

Re: OT - Police stops - the first 45 words determine what happens next.

<u53qv6$1s0ds$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=44426&group=alt.home.repair#44426

From: bobnos...@gmail.com (Bob F)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
next.
Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 20:36:01 -0700
 by: Bob F - Tue, 30 May 2023 03:36 UTC

On 5/29/2023 4:52 PM, Ed P wrote:
> On 5/29/2023 7:31 PM, micky wrote:
>> In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 29 May 2023 15:57:09 -0700, Bob F
>> <bobnospam@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> "When a police officer stops a Black driver, the first 45 words said by
>>> that officer hold important clues about how their encounter is likely
>>> to go.
>>>
>>> Car stops that result in a search, handcuffing, or arrest are nearly
>>> three times more likely to begin with the police officer issuing a
>>> command, such as "Keep your hands on the wheel" or "Turn the car off."
>>>
>>> That's according to a new study in the Proceedings of the National
>>> Academy of Sciences that examined police body-camera footage of 577
>>> routine car stops involving Black drivers.
>>>
>>> Eighty-one of these stops ultimately involved searches, handcuffings, or
>>> arrests. That kind of outcome was less likely when a police officer's
>>> first words provided a reason for the stop.
>>>
>>> "The first 45 words, which is less than 30 seconds on average, spoken by
>>> a law enforcement officer during a car stop to a Black driver can be
>>> quite telling about how the stop will end," says Eugenia Rho, a
>>> researcher at Virginia Tech. "
>>>
>>> https://www.npr.org/2023/05/29/1178279383/for-black-drivers-a-police-officers-first-45-words-are-a-portent-of-whats-to-com
>>>

>> Good article.  I had 1 or 2 possible objections to the part you quote,
>> until I read the whole thing, and they would be relevant to part but not
>> most of it.
>>
>> I find that the black drivers in my n'hood drive extremely cautiously.
>> Sometimes it annoys me because I'm going behind one.  They may be afraid
>> of being stopped.  I had thought about that before, because that, and
>> having been in a serious accident before are tthe two main reasons
>> people drive slowly, even slower than the limit. .
>

> Do you ever watch On Patrol Live?  A&E network, Friday and Saturday nights.
>
> I'm sure many black drivers are stopped because they are black, but the
> conversation often starts with "What the Fxxx you stopping me for,  I
> didn't do nuttin"

Do you get all your data from "reality" TV?

Obviously, that study says otherwise.

Re: OT - Police stops - the first 45 words determine what happens next.

<rpedM.751549$5CY7.133634@fx46.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=44427&group=alt.home.repair#44427

next.
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed Pawlowski)
Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 23:51:50 -0400
 by: Ed Pawlowski - Tue, 30 May 2023 03:51 UTC

On 5/29/2023 11:36 PM, Bob F wrote:
> On 5/29/2023 4:52 PM, Ed P wrote:
>> On 5/29/2023 7:31 PM, micky wrote:

>>> Good article.  I had 1 or 2 possible objections to the part you quote,
>>> until I read the whole thing, and they would be relevant to part but not
>>> most of it.
>>>
>>> I find that the black drivers in my n'hood drive extremely cautiously.
>>> Sometimes it annoys me because I'm going behind one.  They may be afraid
>>> of being stopped.  I had thought about that before, because that, and
>>> having been in a serious accident before are tthe two main reasons
>>> people drive slowly, even slower than the limit. .
>>

>> Do you ever watch On Patrol Live?  A&E network, Friday and Saturday
>> nights.
>>
>> I'm sure many black drivers are stopped because they are black, but
>> the conversation often starts with "What the Fxxx you stopping me
>> for,  I didn't do nuttin"
>
> Do you get all your data from "reality" TV?
>
> Obviously, that study says otherwise.

I also know a few police officers. Ask some, especially in a big city.

Re: OT - Police stops - the first 45 words determine what happens next.

<u53sqt$1s6ac$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=44428&group=alt.home.repair#44428

From: bobnos...@gmail.com (Bob F)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
next.
Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 21:07:52 -0700
 by: Bob F - Tue, 30 May 2023 04:07 UTC

On 5/29/2023 8:51 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 5/29/2023 11:36 PM, Bob F wrote:

>>> Do you ever watch On Patrol Live?  A&E network, Friday and Saturday
>>> nights.
>>>
>>> I'm sure many black drivers are stopped because they are black, but
>>> the conversation often starts with "What the Fxxx you stopping me
>>> for,  I didn't do nuttin"
>>
>> Do you get all your data from "reality" TV?
>>
>> Obviously, that study says otherwise.
>
> I also know a few police officers.  Ask some, especially in a big city.

And what were the first 45 words out of the officers mouth?

Re: OT - Police stops - the first 45 words determine what happens next.

<mSedM.2231255$MVg8.173544@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=44430&group=alt.home.repair#44430

next.
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed Pawlowski)
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 00:22:42 -0400
 by: Ed Pawlowski - Tue, 30 May 2023 04:22 UTC

On 5/30/2023 12:07 AM, Bob F wrote:
> On 5/29/2023 8:51 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>>> Do you get all your data from "reality" TV?
>>>
>>> Obviously, that study says otherwise.
>>
>> I also know a few police officers.  Ask some, especially in a big city.
>
> And what were the first 45 words out of the officers mouth?

Depends. You seem to take issue with what I said about the first words
of the person stopped. Not just blacks, many drivers.

Where do I get the information? I have two brothers-in-law, a nephew,
an uncle, that have been Philadelphia police and often patrol in heavily
minority neighborhoods.

They do give the reason for the stop, but often, before they can say
anything they get a bunch of crap from the driver. Ask a cop if that
happens.

Re: OT - Police stops - the first 45 words determine what happens next.

<kdliqkF6gbuU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=44434&group=alt.home.repair#44434

From: leoblais...@sbcglobal.net (Leonard Blaisdell)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
next.
Date: 30 May 2023 06:19:00 GMT
 by: Leonard Blaisdell - Tue, 30 May 2023 06:19 UTC

On 2023-05-30, Ed Pawlowski <esp@snet.xxx> wrote:

> Where do I get the information? I have two brothers-in-law, a nephew,
> an uncle, that have been Philadelphia police and often patrol in heavily
> minority neighborhoods.

> They do give the reason for the stop, but often, before they can say
> anything they get a bunch of crap from the driver. Ask a cop if that
> happens.

My Dad was a DA. I distinctly remember the last time I was stopped.

Officer: Sir, you have a crack in your windshield.
Me: I know. I was waiting for law enforcement to stop me.
Officer: I'm issuing you a mechanical defect citation. Fix it.
Me: I will sir. Have a nice day.

No screaming, no anger, no batons, no guns. I had the windshield fixed
the next day. Then again, it wasn't a felony or order to appear in
court unless not done.
Had I had drugs in the car and a poor upbringing, things might have gone
haywire.

Re: OT - Police stops - the first 45 words determine what happens next.

<nl9b7i54lfu1qon3va2mmgdg5j6cu563s7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=44437&group=alt.home.repair#44437

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 03:34:26 -0400
 by: micky - Tue, 30 May 2023 07:34 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on 30 May 2023 06:19:00 GMT, Leonard Blaisdell
<leoblaisdell@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>On 2023-05-30, Ed Pawlowski <esp@snet.xxx> wrote:
>
>> Where do I get the information? I have two brothers-in-law, a nephew,
>> an uncle, that have been Philadelphia police and often patrol in heavily
>> minority neighborhoods.
>
>> They do give the reason for the stop, but often, before they can say
>> anything they get a bunch of crap from the driver. Ask a cop if that
>> happens.
>

>My Dad was a DA. I distinctly remember the last time I was stopped.
>
>Officer: Sir, you have a crack in your windshield.
>Me: I know. I was waiting for law enforcement to stop me.

Why were you waiting?

If law enforcement hadn't stopped you, you'd never have fixed it?

>Officer: I'm issuing you a mechanical defect citation. Fix it.
>Me: I will sir. Have a nice day.
>
>No screaming, no anger, no batons, no guns. I had the windshield fixed
>the next day. Then again, it wasn't a felony or order to appear in
>court unless not done.
>Had I had drugs in the car and a poor upbringing, things might have gone
>haywire.

Re: OT - Police stops - the first 45 words determine what happens next.

<kdloqoF7hudU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=44438&group=alt.home.repair#44438

From: leoblais...@sbcglobal.net (Leonard Blaisdell)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
next.
Date: 30 May 2023 08:01:29 GMT
 by: Leonard Blaisdell - Tue, 30 May 2023 08:01 UTC

On 2023-05-30, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
> In alt.home.repair, on 30 May 2023 06:19:00 GMT, Leonard Blaisdell

>>Officer: Sir, you have a crack in your windshield.
>>Me: I know. I was waiting for law enforcement to stop me.

> Why were you waiting?

> If law enforcement hadn't stopped you, you'd never have fixed it?

Nope. It was a 27 year old Forerunner that I only used in town at the
time. I was gonna but hadn't received any motivation yet.
Such is life.

Re: OT - Police stops - the first 45 words determine what happens next.

<ipcb7i9rcs0id09v9q31aqce2mhpkk8632@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=44439&group=alt.home.repair#44439

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 04:32:11 -0400
 by: micky - Tue, 30 May 2023 08:32 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on 30 May 2023 08:01:29 GMT, Leonard Blaisdell
<leoblaisdell@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>On 2023-05-30, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>> In alt.home.repair, on 30 May 2023 06:19:00 GMT, Leonard Blaisdell
>
>>>Officer: Sir, you have a crack in your windshield.
>>>Me: I know. I was waiting for law enforcement to stop me.
>
>> Why were you waiting?
>
>> If law enforcement hadn't stopped you, you'd never have fixed it?
>

>Nope. It was a 27 year old Forerunner that I only used in town at the
>time. I was gonna but hadn't received any motivation yet.
>Such is life.

I have a crack in my windshield. I've had it for 4 years. I had a pip
when I bought the car 5 years ago. Everythign I read said it would get
bigger, but it's still under 3/4 inch. It was a half-inch a couple years
ago. I don't know what the maximum allowed is.

It's just above and to the right end of my field of view, but only in it
if I'm looking at the sky. If I'm driving into the sun, it glimmers.
But that's less than 10 minutes a week.

I'm waitilng for it to get bigger or for a cop to tell me to fix it.

I'm not going to let the repair people come here. I'll go there and
increase the chance they'll install the right window.

I once had a car they claimed needed new springs. I didn't see it, or
feel it. I stalled around and eventually the car wore out so I didn't
have to pay for new springs.

Re: OT - Police stops - the first 45 words determine what happens next.

<69jdM.2238518$gGD7.154503@fx11.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=44440&group=alt.home.repair#44440

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: hamil...@invalid.com (Cindy Hamilton)
next.
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 09:15:46 GMT
 by: Cindy Hamilton - Tue, 30 May 2023 09:15 UTC

On 2023-05-30, Leonard Blaisdell <leoblaisdell@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 2023-05-30, Ed Pawlowski <esp@snet.xxx> wrote:
>
>> Where do I get the information? I have two brothers-in-law, a nephew,
>> an uncle, that have been Philadelphia police and often patrol in heavily
>> minority neighborhoods.
>
>> They do give the reason for the stop, but often, before they can say
>> anything they get a bunch of crap from the driver. Ask a cop if that
>> happens.
>

> My Dad was a DA. I distinctly remember the last time I was stopped.
>
> Officer: Sir, you have a crack in your windshield.
> Me: I know. I was waiting for law enforcement to stop me.
> Officer: I'm issuing you a mechanical defect citation. Fix it.
> Me: I will sir. Have a nice day.
>
> No screaming, no anger, no batons, no guns. I had the windshield fixed
> the next day. Then again, it wasn't a felony or order to appear in
> court unless not done.
> Had I had drugs in the car and a poor upbringing, things might have gone
> haywire.

A month (or two) ago I was stopped on the freeway as part of a fundraising
effort. The encounter went about like the one you cite. The officer
was kind enough to write me up for double-parking (rather than 80 in
a 70), so I wouldn't get any points on my license. In this fascinating,
modern age, I was able to pay the fine online.

And I was able to go home and brag to my husband that I'd been cited
for double-parking on I-94.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Re: OT - Police stops - the first 45 words determine what happens next.

<kdlu8iF89lcU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=44443&group=alt.home.repair#44443

From: leoblais...@sbcglobal.net (Leonard Blaisdell)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
next.
Date: 30 May 2023 09:34:10 GMT
 by: Leonard Blaisdell - Tue, 30 May 2023 09:34 UTC

On 2023-05-30, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

> I once had a car they claimed needed new springs. I didn't see it, or
> feel it. I stalled around and eventually the car wore out so I didn't
> have to pay for new springs.

One can be jived into buying springs, shocks, brakes and even a new
radiator. Cracks in the windshield are obvious. Mine was on the
passenger side and ran halfway up.
The cop was behind me on a motorcycle, and the Sun hit the crack just
right. Oops! They'll never find you in the evening.
I recommend changing belts and hoses every ten years, whether you think
you need them or not. I'm due.

Re: OT - Police stops - the first 45 words determine what happens next.

<3g8c7itevsi4ej1ea2ls6dbtccdsacp258@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=44454&group=alt.home.repair#44454

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 12:20:18 -0400
 by: micky - Tue, 30 May 2023 16:20 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 30 May 2023 09:15:46 GMT, Cindy Hamilton
<hamilton@invalid.com> wrote:

>On 2023-05-30, Leonard Blaisdell <leoblaisdell@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> On 2023-05-30, Ed Pawlowski <esp@snet.xxx> wrote:
>>
>>> Where do I get the information? I have two brothers-in-law, a nephew,
>>> an uncle, that have been Philadelphia police and often patrol in heavily
>>> minority neighborhoods.
>>
>>> They do give the reason for the stop, but often, before they can say
>>> anything they get a bunch of crap from the driver. Ask a cop if that
>>> happens.
>>

>> My Dad was a DA. I distinctly remember the last time I was stopped.
>>
>> Officer: Sir, you have a crack in your windshield.
>> Me: I know. I was waiting for law enforcement to stop me.
>> Officer: I'm issuing you a mechanical defect citation. Fix it.
>> Me: I will sir. Have a nice day.
>>
>> No screaming, no anger, no batons, no guns. I had the windshield fixed
>> the next day. Then again, it wasn't a felony or order to appear in
>> court unless not done.
>> Had I had drugs in the car and a poor upbringing, things might have gone
>> haywire.
>
>A month (or two) ago I was stopped on the freeway as part of a fundraising
>effort. The encounter went about like the one you cite. The officer
>was kind enough to write me up for double-parking (rather than 80 in
>a 70), so I wouldn't get any points on my license. In this fascinating,
>modern age, I was able to pay the fine online.
>
>And I was able to go home and brag to my husband that I'd been cited
>for double-parking on I-94.

You should park in driveways and drive on expressways. You're lucky you
didn't get hit from behind!

Re: OT - Police stops - the first 45 words determine what happens next.

<1qqdM.2288850$Tcw8.1422815@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=44459&group=alt.home.repair#44459

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: hamil...@invalid.com (Cindy Hamilton)
next.
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 17:31:41 GMT
 by: Cindy Hamilton - Tue, 30 May 2023 17:31 UTC

On 2023-05-30, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
> In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 30 May 2023 09:15:46 GMT, Cindy Hamilton
><hamilton@invalid.com> wrote:

>>> My Dad was a DA. I distinctly remember the last time I was stopped.
>>>
>>> Officer: Sir, you have a crack in your windshield.
>>> Me: I know. I was waiting for law enforcement to stop me.
>>> Officer: I'm issuing you a mechanical defect citation. Fix it.
>>> Me: I will sir. Have a nice day.
>>>
>>> No screaming, no anger, no batons, no guns. I had the windshield fixed
>>> the next day. Then again, it wasn't a felony or order to appear in
>>> court unless not done.
>>> Had I had drugs in the car and a poor upbringing, things might have gone
>>> haywire.
>>
>>A month (or two) ago I was stopped on the freeway as part of a fundraising
>>effort. The encounter went about like the one you cite. The officer
>>was kind enough to write me up for double-parking (rather than 80 in
>>a 70), so I wouldn't get any points on my license. In this fascinating,
>>modern age, I was able to pay the fine online.
>>
>>And I was able to go home and brag to my husband that I'd been cited
>>for double-parking on I-94.
>
> You should park in driveways and drive on expressways. You're lucky you
> didn't get hit from behind!

I'm a rebel. I drive on the parkway.

--
Cindy Hamilton

interests / alt.home.repair / OT - Police stops - the first 45 words determine what happens next.