interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCINO13 Game 9, Rounds 7-8: Masters, Roman Empire

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCINO13 Game 9, Rounds 7-8: Masters, Roman EmpireMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 9, Rounds 7-8: Masters, Roman EmpireDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 9, Rounds 7-8: Masters, Roman EmpireJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 9, Rounds 7-8: Masters, Roman EmpireDan Tilque
+- Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 9, Rounds 7-8: Masters, Roman EmpireErland Sommarskog
`* RQFTCINO13 Game 9, Rounds 7-8 answers: Masters, Roman EmpireMark Brader
 `* Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 9, Rounds 7-8 answers: Masters, Roman EmpireJoshua Kreitzer
  `- Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 9, Rounds 7-8 answers: Masters, Roman EmpireMark Brader

1
RQFTCINO13 Game 9, Rounds 7-8: Masters, Roman Empire

<9B-dnU1AR4Y2-TP-nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4417&group=rec.games.trivia#4417

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCINO13 Game 9, Rounds 7-8: Masters, Roman Empire
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2022 04:10:19 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 30 Dec 2022 04:10 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-04-08,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Night Owls, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 9, Round 7 - Sports - The Masters Tournament

As we all know, the Masters golf tournament begins """this Thursday,
2013-04-11""". *Note*: Some answers may repeat.

1. It was originally known as the Augusta National Invitational
Tournament. Within 5 years, when was the name changed to the
Masters Tournament?

2. Who was the first player to win two consecutive Masters?

3. Who was the first black golfer to win the Masters?

4. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
previous question. Yrr Ryqre vf erzrzorerq sbe orvat gur svefg
oynpx tbysre gb cynl va gur Znfgref Gbheanzrag. Jvguva 5 lrnef,
jura qvq guvf gnxr cynpr?

5. Tiger Woods """is""" tied for second on the list of multiple
Masters champions, with 4 wins. Who """is the other""" 4-time
Masters Tournament winner?

6. Only 5 golfers have won all four of golf's modern Majors at any
time during their careers, an achievement which is often referred
to as a "Career Grand Slam". Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods
are two of them. Name any of the other three.

7. Who was the oldest winner of the Masters?

8. Who """holds""" the Masters record for the widest winning margin,
at 12 strokes?

9. """Today""" the Green Jacket is awarded every year to the winner
of the Masters. Who was the first Masters champion to get one?

10. This 3-time Masters Tournament winner also """holds the
record""" for the most appearances at the Masters, with 52. Who?

* Game 9, Round 8 - History - The Roman Empire

1. Who were the twins that, according to legend, founded Rome?
They were raised by a she-wolf. We need *both* names.

2. The First Triumvirate of 60 BC was composed of Julius Caesar,
Crassus, and what other person?

3. The Second Triumvirate of 43 BC was composed of Octavian (who
later became Augustus Caesar), Marcus Aemilius Lepidus, and
what other person?

4. Augustus Caesar became the first Roman emperor. Who succeeded
him, and was emperor when Jesus was crucified?

5. Vercingetorix was defeated by Julius Caesar in 52 BC and
brought to Rome in chains. His defeat ended the war Rome had
waged on his people, and brought his country into the Roman
Empire. What people did he lead?

6. Who succeeded Caligula as emperor, and was himself succeeded
by Nero? Considered clumsy and antisocial, he nevertheless
extended the Empire, adding Britain and North Africa to it.

7. This emperor of Spanish origin who ruled from 98 to 117 ruled
over the Empire at its greatest extent at his death. Who was he?
He hand-picked his countryman Hadrian to be his successor.

8. Which emperor divided the Empire into a tetrarchy of four
prefectures, with two emperors titled Augustus and two
sub-leaders titled Caesar?

9. This emperor made Christianity the official religion and moved
the capital to the city now called Istanbul. Who was he?

10. This emperor preserved the Eastern Empire after the west was
overthrown by barbarian tribes, and developed a legal code
which was the basis of later European legal codes. Who?

--
Mark Brader "Sixty years old and still pulling a train!
Toronto That's more than I can say about most

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 9, Rounds 7-8: Masters, Roman Empire

<tolslt$ggo$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4418&group=rec.games.trivia#4418

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2022 05:24:13 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Fri, 30 Dec 2022 05:24 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 9, Round 7 - Sports - The Masters Tournament

> 1. It was originally known as the Augusta National Invitational
> Tournament. Within 5 years, when was the name changed to the
> Masters Tournament?

1970; 1981

> 2. Who was the first player to win two consecutive Masters?

Arnold Palmer; Jack Nicklaus

> 3. Who was the first black golfer to win the Masters?

Tiger Woods

> 4. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
> previous question. Yrr Ryqre vf erzrzorerq sbe orvat gur svefg
> oynpx tbysre gb cynl va gur Znfgref Gbheanzrag. Jvguva 5 lrnef,
> jura qvq guvf gnxr cynpr?

1965; 1976

> 5. Tiger Woods """is""" tied for second on the list of multiple
> Masters champions, with 4 wins. Who """is the other""" 4-time
> Masters Tournament winner?

Arnold Palmer; Jack Nicklaus

> 6. Only 5 golfers have won all four of golf's modern Majors at any
> time during their careers, an achievement which is often referred
> to as a "Career Grand Slam". Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods
> are two of them. Name any of the other three.

Arnold Palmer; Greg Norman

> 7. Who was the oldest winner of the Masters?

Arnold Palmer

> 8. Who """holds""" the Masters record for the widest winning margin,
> at 12 strokes?

Greg Norman; Tiger Woods

> 9. """Today""" the Green Jacket is awarded every year to the winner
> of the Masters. Who was the first Masters champion to get one?

Arnold Palmer

> 10. This 3-time Masters Tournament winner also """holds the
> record""" for the most appearances at the Masters, with 52. Who?

Arnold Palmer

> * Game 9, Round 8 - History - The Roman Empire

> 1. Who were the twins that, according to legend, founded Rome?
> They were raised by a she-wolf. We need *both* names.

Romulus and Remus

> 2. The First Triumvirate of 60 BC was composed of Julius Caesar,
> Crassus, and what other person?

Pompey

> 3. The Second Triumvirate of 43 BC was composed of Octavian (who
> later became Augustus Caesar), Marcus Aemilius Lepidus, and
> what other person?

MArc Antony

> 4. Augustus Caesar became the first Roman emperor. Who succeeded
> him, and was emperor when Jesus was crucified?

Titus

> 5. Vercingetorix was defeated by Julius Caesar in 52 BC and
> brought to Rome in chains. His defeat ended the war Rome had
> waged on his people, and brought his country into the Roman
> Empire. What people did he lead?

Gauls

> 6. Who succeeded Caligula as emperor, and was himself succeeded
> by Nero? Considered clumsy and antisocial, he nevertheless
> extended the Empire, adding Britain and North Africa to it.

Claudius

> 7. This emperor of Spanish origin who ruled from 98 to 117 ruled
> over the Empire at its greatest extent at his death. Who was he?
> He hand-picked his countryman Hadrian to be his successor.

Trajan

> 8. Which emperor divided the Empire into a tetrarchy of four
> prefectures, with two emperors titled Augustus and two
> sub-leaders titled Caesar?

Diocletian; Septimus Severus

> 9. This emperor made Christianity the official religion and moved
> the capital to the city now called Istanbul. Who was he?

Constantine

> 10. This emperor preserved the Eastern Empire after the west was
> overthrown by barbarian tribes, and developed a legal code
> which was the basis of later European legal codes. Who?

Justinian

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 9, Rounds 7-8: Masters, Roman Empire

<4ba2c8fc-554c-44c4-8e66-7b2b274e0996n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4419&group=rec.games.trivia#4419

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2022 22:19:13 -0800 (PST)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Fri, 30 Dec 2022 06:19 UTC

On Thursday, December 29, 2022 at 10:10:26 PM UTC-6, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 9, Round 7 - Sports - The Masters Tournament
>
> As we all know, the Masters golf tournament begins """this Thursday,
> 2013-04-11""". *Note*: Some answers may repeat.
>
> 1. It was originally known as the Augusta National Invitational
> Tournament. Within 5 years, when was the name changed to the
> Masters Tournament?

1945
> 2. Who was the first player to win two consecutive Masters?

Jack Nicklaus
> 3. Who was the first black golfer to win the Masters?

Tiger Woods

> 4. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
> previous question. Yrr Ryqre vf erzrzorerq sbe orvat gur svefg
> oynpx tbysre gb cynl va gur Znfgref Gbheanzrag. Jvguva 5 lrnef,
> jura qvq guvf gnxr cynpr?

1975

> 5. Tiger Woods """is""" tied for second on the list of multiple
> Masters champions, with 4 wins. Who """is the other""" 4-time
> Masters Tournament winner?

Jack Nicklaus

> 6. Only 5 golfers have won all four of golf's modern Majors at any
> time during their careers, an achievement which is often referred
> to as a "Career Grand Slam". Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods
> are two of them. Name any of the other three.

Lee Trevino

> 7. Who was the oldest winner of the Masters?

Jack Nicklaus

> 8. Who """holds""" the Masters record for the widest winning margin,
> at 12 strokes?

Tiger Woods

> 10. This 3-time Masters Tournament winner also """holds the
> record""" for the most appearances at the Masters, with 52. Who?

Arnold Palmer
> * Game 9, Round 8 - History - The Roman Empire
>
> 1. Who were the twins that, according to legend, founded Rome?
> They were raised by a she-wolf. We need *both* names.

Romulus and Remus

> 2. The First Triumvirate of 60 BC was composed of Julius Caesar,
> Crassus, and what other person?

Pompey

> 3. The Second Triumvirate of 43 BC was composed of Octavian (who
> later became Augustus Caesar), Marcus Aemilius Lepidus, and
> what other person?

Marc Anthony

> 4. Augustus Caesar became the first Roman emperor. Who succeeded
> him, and was emperor when Jesus was crucified?

Tiberius

> 5. Vercingetorix was defeated by Julius Caesar in 52 BC and
> brought to Rome in chains. His defeat ended the war Rome had
> waged on his people, and brought his country into the Roman
> Empire. What people did he lead?

Gauls

> 6. Who succeeded Caligula as emperor, and was himself succeeded
> by Nero? Considered clumsy and antisocial, he nevertheless
> extended the Empire, adding Britain and North Africa to it.

Claudius

> 7. This emperor of Spanish origin who ruled from 98 to 117 ruled
> over the Empire at its greatest extent at his death. Who was he?
> He hand-picked his countryman Hadrian to be his successor.

Trajan

> 8. Which emperor divided the Empire into a tetrarchy of four
> prefectures, with two emperors titled Augustus and two
> sub-leaders titled Caesar?

Constantine

> 10. This emperor preserved the Eastern Empire after the west was
> overthrown by barbarian tribes, and developed a legal code
> which was the basis of later European legal codes. Who?

Justinian

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 9, Rounds 7-8: Masters, Roman Empire

<tomtkf$mcp2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4420&group=rec.games.trivia#4420

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2022 06:46:39 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Fri, 30 Dec 2022 14:46 UTC

On 12/29/22 20:10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 9, Round 7 - Sports - The Masters Tournament
>
> As we all know, the Masters golf tournament begins """this Thursday,
> 2013-04-11""". *Note*: Some answers may repeat.
>
> 1. It was originally known as the Augusta National Invitational
> Tournament. Within 5 years, when was the name changed to the
> Masters Tournament?
>
> 2. Who was the first player to win two consecutive Masters?

Snead

> 3. Who was the first black golfer to win the Masters?

Woods

> 4. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
> previous question. Yrr Ryqre vf erzrzorerq sbe orvat gur svefg
> oynpx tbysre gb cynl va gur Znfgref Gbheanzrag. Jvguva 5 lrnef,
> jura qvq guvf gnxr cynpr?
>
> 5. Tiger Woods """is""" tied for second on the list of multiple
> Masters champions, with 4 wins. Who """is the other""" 4-time
> Masters Tournament winner?

Nicklaus

> 6. Only 5 golfers have won all four of golf's modern Majors at any
> time during their careers, an achievement which is often referred
> to as a "Career Grand Slam". Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods
> are two of them. Name any of the other three.

Palmer

> 7. Who was the oldest winner of the Masters?

Palmer

> 8. Who """holds""" the Masters record for the widest winning margin,
> at 12 strokes?

Woods

> 9. """Today""" the Green Jacket is awarded every year to the winner
> of the Masters. Who was the first Masters champion to get one?
>
> 10. This 3-time Masters Tournament winner also """holds the
> record""" for the most appearances at the Masters, with 52. Who?

Palmer

> * Game 9, Round 8 - History - The Roman Empire
>
> 1. Who were the twins that, according to legend, founded Rome?
> They were raised by a she-wolf. We need *both* names.

Romulus and Remus

> 2. The First Triumvirate of 60 BC was composed of Julius Caesar,
> Crassus, and what other person?
>
> 3. The Second Triumvirate of 43 BC was composed of Octavian (who
> later became Augustus Caesar), Marcus Aemilius Lepidus, and
> what other person?

Mark Antony

> 4. Augustus Caesar became the first Roman emperor. Who succeeded
> him, and was emperor when Jesus was crucified?
>
> 5. Vercingetorix was defeated by Julius Caesar in 52 BC and
> brought to Rome in chains. His defeat ended the war Rome had
> waged on his people, and brought his country into the Roman
> Empire. What people did he lead?

the Gauls

> 6. Who succeeded Caligula as emperor, and was himself succeeded
> by Nero? Considered clumsy and antisocial, he nevertheless
> extended the Empire, adding Britain and North Africa to it.
>
> 7. This emperor of Spanish origin who ruled from 98 to 117 ruled
> over the Empire at its greatest extent at his death. Who was he?
> He hand-picked his countryman Hadrian to be his successor.

Trajan

> 8. Which emperor divided the Empire into a tetrarchy of four
> prefectures, with two emperors titled Augustus and two
> sub-leaders titled Caesar?
>
> 9. This emperor made Christianity the official religion and moved
> the capital to the city now called Istanbul. Who was he?

Constantine

> 10. This emperor preserved the Eastern Empire after the west was
> overthrown by barbarian tribes, and developed a legal code
> which was the basis of later European legal codes. Who?

Justinian

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 9, Rounds 7-8: Masters, Roman Empire

<XnsAF7DB8E982E93Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4421&group=rec.games.trivia#4421

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2022 18:10:39 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Fri, 30 Dec 2022 17:10 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 9, Round 7 - Sports - The Masters Tournament
>
> As we all know, the Masters golf tournament begins """this Thursday,
> 2013-04-11""". *Note*: Some answers may repeat.
>
> 1. It was originally known as the Augusta National Invitational
> Tournament. Within 5 years, when was the name changed to the
> Masters Tournament?

1975
> 2. Who was the first player to win two consecutive Masters?

Daly
> 3. Who was the first black golfer to win the Masters?

Tiger Woods (which seems to be incorrect, given that #5 was not
rot13'd)
> 4. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
> previous question. Yrr Ryqre vf erzrzorerq sbe orvat gur svefg
> oynpx tbysre gb cynl va gur Znfgref Gbheanzrag. Jvguva 5 lrnef,
> jura qvq guvf gnxr cynpr?

1965
> * Game 9, Round 8 - History - The Roman Empire
>
> 1. Who were the twins that, according to legend, founded Rome?
> They were raised by a she-wolf. We need *both* names.

Romuls and Remus
> 2. The First Triumvirate of 60 BC was composed of Julius Caesar,
> Crassus, and what other person?

Anthony

> 4. Augustus Caesar became the first Roman emperor. Who succeeded
> him, and was emperor when Jesus was crucified?

Tiberius
> 5. Vercingetorix was defeated by Julius Caesar in 52 BC and
> brought to Rome in chains. His defeat ended the war Rome had
> waged on his people, and brought his country into the Roman
> Empire. What people did he lead?

Gaul
> 6. Who succeeded Caligula as emperor, and was himself succeeded
> by Nero? Considered clumsy and antisocial, he nevertheless
> extended the Empire, adding Britain and North Africa to it.

Tiberius
> 8. Which emperor divided the Empire into a tetrarchy of four
> prefectures, with two emperors titled Augustus and two
> sub-leaders titled Caesar?

Marcus Aurelius
> 9. This emperor made Christianity the official religion and moved
> the capital to the city now called Istanbul. Who was he?

Constantine the Great
> 10. This emperor preserved the Eastern Empire after the west was
> overthrown by barbarian tribes, and developed a legal code
> which was the basis of later European legal codes. Who?

Justanian

RQFTCINO13 Game 9, Rounds 7-8 answers: Masters, Roman Empire

<UvqdnaQPfK_CCC_-nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4422&group=rec.games.trivia#4422

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCINO13 Game 9, Rounds 7-8 answers: Masters, Roman Empire
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2023 08:27:11 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 2 Jan 2023 08:27 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-04-08,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2022-09-09 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 9, Round 7 - Sports - The Masters Tournament

> As we all know, the Masters golf tournament begins """this Thursday,
> 2013-04-11""". *Note*: Some answers may repeat.

> 1. It was originally known as the Augusta National Invitational
> Tournament. Within 5 years, when was the name changed to the
> Masters Tournament?

1939 (accepting 1934-44). Nobody got this, so I allowed answers
within double the allowed leeway as "almost correct". So, 3 for
Joshua.

> 2. Who was the first player to win two consecutive Masters?

Jack Nicklaus (1965-66). 4 for Joshua. 2 for Dan Blum.

> 3. Who was the first black golfer to win the Masters?

Tiger Woods (1997). For suitable values of "black", anyway; he
invented the term "Cablinasian" to describe his mixed ancestry.
4 for everyone -- Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Erland.

Erland wrote "(which seems to be incorrect, given that #5 was not
rot13'd)". Actually I figured that Woods is famous enough so that
mentioning him in another question would not be a tip-off to this one.

> 4. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
> previous question. Lee Elder is remembered for being the first
> black golfer to play in the Masters Tournament. Within 5 years,
> when did this take place?

1975 (accepting 1970-80). 4 for Joshua. 2 for Dan Blum.

> 5. Tiger Woods """is""" tied for second on the list of multiple
> Masters champions, with 4 wins. Who """is the other""" 4-time
> Masters Tournament winner?

Arnold Palmer (won in even-numbered years 1958-64). (Still true
for Palmer, but Woods broke the tie with a 5th win in 2019.)
3 for Dan Blum.

> 6. Only 5 golfers have won all four of golf's modern Majors at any
> time during their careers, an achievement which is often referred
> to as a "Career Grand Slam". Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods
> are two of them. Name any of the other three.

Ben Hogan, Gary Player, Gene Sarazen.

> 7. Who was the oldest winner of the Masters?

Jack Nicklaus (46 years 82 days old when he won in 1986; still true).
4 for Joshua.

> 8. Who """holds""" the Masters record for the widest winning margin,
> at 12 strokes?

Tiger Woods (again, 1997; still true). 4 for Joshua and Dan Tilque.
2 for Dan Blum.

> 9. """Today""" the Green Jacket is awarded every year to the winner
> of the Masters. Who was the first Masters champion to get one?

Sam Snead (1949). (Still true.)

> 10. This 3-time Masters Tournament winner also """holds the
> record""" for the most appearances at the Masters, with 52. Who?

Gary Player (played every year 1957-2009 except 1973; won 1961,
1974, 1978; still true).

> * Game 9, Round 8 - History - The Roman Empire

> 1. Who were the twins that, according to legend, founded Rome?
> They were raised by a she-wolf. We need *both* names.

Romulus, Remus. 4 for everyone.

> 2. The First Triumvirate of 60 BC was composed of Julius Caesar,
> Crassus, and what other person?

Pompey (Gnaeus Pompeius). 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 3. The Second Triumvirate of 43 BC was composed of Octavian (who
> later became Augustus Caesar), Marcus Aemilius Lepidus, and
> what other person?

Mark Anthony/Antony (Marcus Antonius). 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua,
and Dan Tilque.

> 4. Augustus Caesar became the first Roman emperor. Who succeeded
> him, and was emperor when Jesus was crucified?

Tiberius. 4 for Joshua and Erland.

> 5. Vercingetorix was defeated by Julius Caesar in 52 BC and
> brought to Rome in chains. His defeat ended the war Rome had
> waged on his people, and brought his country into the Roman
> Empire. What people did he lead?

The Gauls. 4 for everyone.

> 6. Who succeeded Caligula as emperor, and was himself succeeded
> by Nero? Considered clumsy and antisocial, he nevertheless
> extended the Empire, adding Britain and North Africa to it.

Claudius. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 7. This emperor of Spanish origin who ruled from 98 to 117 ruled
> over the Empire at its greatest extent at his death. Who was he?
> He hand-picked his countryman Hadrian to be his successor.

Trajan (Traianus). 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 8. Which emperor divided the Empire into a tetrarchy of four
> prefectures, with two emperors titled Augustus and two
> sub-leaders titled Caesar?

Diocletian (Diocletianus). The year was 293. 3 for Dan Blum.

> 9. This emperor made Christianity the official religion and moved
> the capital to the city now called Istanbul. Who was he?

Constantine (Constantinus). 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Erland.

> 10. This emperor preserved the Eastern Empire after the west was
> overthrown by barbarian tribes, and developed a legal code
> which was the basis of later European legal codes. Who?

Justinian (Iustinianus). 4 for everyone.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 9 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Ent Geo Sci Can Spo His FOUR
Joshua Kreitzer 40 8 40 6 23 32 135
Dan Blum 28 24 38 3 13 35 125
Dan Tilque 0 16 40 0 8 24 88
Erland Sommarskog 4 20 40 0 4 20 84
Pete Gayde 4 15 35 0 -- -- 54

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Winning isn't everything, but not trying to win
msb@vex.net | is less than nothing." --Anton van Uitert

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 9, Rounds 7-8 answers: Masters, Roman Empire

<c033043b-d8d5-432e-b923-ae97962417a9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4426&group=rec.games.trivia#4426

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2023 08:48:55 -0800 (PST)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Mon, 2 Jan 2023 16:48 UTC

On Monday, January 2, 2023 at 2:27:18 AM UTC-6, Mark Brader wrote:
> Mark Brader:
> > 9. This emperor made Christianity the official religion and moved
> > the capital to the city now called Istanbul. Who was he?
>
> Constantine (Constantinus). 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Erland.

While Constantine was the first Roman emperor to become a Christian, that's not the same thing as making Christianity the official religion of the empire; Theodosius I appears to have a better claim to that.

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 9, Rounds 7-8 answers: Masters, Roman Empire

<1IudnfJ3OIRI_i7-nZ2dnZfqnPSdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4428&group=rec.games.trivia#4428

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2023 23:08:05 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 2 Jan 2023 23:08 UTC

Mark Brader:
>>> 9. This emperor made Christianity the official religion and moved
>>> the capital to the city now called Istanbul. Who was he?
>>
>> Constantine (Constantinus). 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Erland.
Joshua Kreitzer:
> While Constantine was the first Roman emperor to become a Christian,
> that's not the same thing as making Christianity the official religion
> of the empire; Theodosius I appears to have a better claim to that.

After checking it out, I agree. However, no one gave that answer, and
it was Constantine who moved the capital to Constantinople (Istanbul).
So the scores stand.
--
Mark Brader | "If communication becomes impossible, it is expected that
Toronto | both parties will... notify the other that communication