interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCINO13 Game 9, Rounds 4,6 answers: geometry, CanA&L

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCINO13 Game 9, Rounds 4,6: geometry, CanA&LMark Brader
+- RQFTCINO13 Game 9, Rounds 4,6 timing correctionMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 9, Rounds 4,6: geometry, CanA&LDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 9, Rounds 4,6: geometry, CanA&LJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 9, Rounds 4,6: geometry, CanA&LErland Sommarskog
+- Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 9, Rounds 4,6: geometry, CanA&LDan Tilque
+- Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 9, Rounds 4,6: geometry, CanA&LPete Gayde
`- RQFTCINO13 Game 9, Rounds 4,6 answers: geometry, CanA&LMark Brader

1
RQFTCINO13 Game 9, Rounds 4,6: geometry, CanA&L

<HTCdndokmO7OgTv-nZ2dnZfqn_WdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4406&group=rec.games.trivia#4406

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCINO13 Game 9, Rounds 4,6: geometry, CanA&L
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2022 21:23:31 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 23 Dec 2022 21:23 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-04-08,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Night Owls, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 9, Round 4 - Science - Geometric Formulas

We all were taught some geometry in math class, either in elementary
school or high school. In this round, we will test much how you
remember from these classes. In each case, please select the
correct answer from the following list.

*NOTE*: In order for this to be posted in ISO 8859-1, every instance
of the # sign represents pi. The characters ², ³, and × should show
correctly as "squared", "cubed", and the "times" sign respectively.
[Obviously, in some of the formulas the × sign is not used.
For forms like x/y × z, the intent is to divide and then multiply.]

[A] 4L [K] 2W + 2L
[B] L² [L] B × H/2
[C] L³ [M] B² × H/3
[D] #r² [N] 4/3 × #r³
[E] 2#r [O] L × W × H
[F] #r²H [P] 2#r(r + H)
[G] 4#r² [Q] L × H × B/2
[H] B × H [R] L × W × #/4
[I] #r²H/3 [S] (L + W)/2 × H
[J] 6 × L² [T] 2(L × W) + 2(W × H) + 2(H × L)
where
r = radius
B = Base
H = Height
L = Length
W = Width (or in one of the decoys, a second length)

Also note: if there is more than one possibility, select the
simplest one. Which one, then, is the formula for the...

1. Area of a circle?
2. Area of a square?
3. Surface area of a cube?
4. Surface area of a sphere?
5. Perimeter of a rectangle?
6. Circumference of a circle?
7. Volume of a sphere?
8. Volume of a cylinder?
9. Area of a triangle?
10. Volume of a cube?

And if you would like to identify the decoys for fun, but for no points,
decode the rot13 and continue.

11. Fhesnpr nern bs erpgnathyne cnenyyrycvcrq (gung vf, n "fubrobk"
svther, yvxr n phor ohg jvgu erpgnathyne snprf)?
12. Ibyhzr bs n gevnathyne cevfz?
13. Nern bs n gencrmbvq?
14. Ibyhzr bs n fdhner-onfrq clenzvq?
15. Nern bs na ryyvcfr?
16. Ibyhzr bs n "fubrobk" svther?
17. Ibyhzr bs n pbar?
18. Crevzrgre bs n fdhner?
19. Nern bs n erpgnatyr?
20. Fhesnpr nern bs n plyvaqre?

* Game 9, Round 6 - Canadiana Arts & Literature

1. This Canadian author won the first Arthur C. Clarke award
in 1987. The award is given for the best science-fiction novel
that was first published in the UK during the previous year.
Name either the author or the award-winning book.

2. "I would walk to the end of the street and over the prairie
with the clickety grasshoppers bunging in arcs ahead of me,
and I could hear the hum and twang of wind in the great prairie
harp of telephone wires. Standing there with the total thrust
of prairie sun on my vulnerable head, I guess I learned --
at a very young age -- that I was mortal." This excerpt was
recited by Donald Sutherland at the opening ceremonies of the
2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver. Again, name either the
author or the book it was taken from.

3. In 2006 the Guardian described this Canadian author as
"possibly the most gifted exegete of North American mass culture
writing today." In 2009 the Daily Telegraph said he was "one
of the great satirists of consumerism." He gave us the terms
"McJob" and "Generation X". Name this author.

4. This Canadian writer is best known for his humorous observations
on Canadian history and culture. In 1997 he wrote "Why I
Hate Canadians", followed the next year by "I was a Teen
Aged Katima-Victim". In 2000 he gave us "Canadian History
for Dummies". In 2001 he co-wrote "How to be a Canadian" with
his brother Ian. And he won the Giller prize in 2012 for "419:
A Novel." Name this author (the surname is sufficient).

5. Within 1,000, what is the generally acknowledged number of
copies that must be sold in a week for a book to become a
Canadian bestseller?

6. This talented individual had many careers: for him, writing
was a sideline. He wrote "Face-Off at the Summit", "Home Game:
Hockey and Life in Canada", "The Moved and the Shaken", and
"In School: Our Kids, Our Teachers, Our Classrooms". Who was he?

7. The no-holds-barred "Frank" magazine referred to this person
by substituting the uncomplimentary moniker "Tubby" for his
first name, and referred to his 1993 autobiography "A Life in
Progress" by calling it "A Thesaurus in Progress". Name the
recipient of these barbs.

8. He was a Canadian painter and sculptor. In 1969 he was
made a Companion of the Order of Canada. One of his largest
compositions, "Point de rencontre" ("Meeting Point"), was
originally intended for the Toronto airport, but is """now"""
in the Opéra Bastille in Paris. He was made an Officer of the
National Order of Quebec in 1988, and was promoted to Grand
Officer in 1994. In 2000 he was inducted into Canada's Walk
of Fame. Who?

9. In what Canadian city is the art gallery that """claims"""
to have the largest public collection of contemporary Inuit
art in the world?

10. It's a huge canvas with just two colors of acrylic paint --
twin vertical stripes of ultramarine blue flanking a middle
one of cadmium red. Canadians were outraged when the National
Gallery of Canada paid $1,800,000 for this work in 1989.
*Name the American artist* who created "Voice of Fire".

--
Mark Brader | "...what the customer wants doesn't matter;
Toronto | the only thing that matters is what the Marketeer
| or can be made to think he wants." --Steve Summit

RQFTCINO13 Game 9, Rounds 4,6 timing correction

<zzednRWfPrQVgTv-nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4407&group=rec.games.trivia#4407

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCINO13 Game 9, Rounds 4,6 timing correction
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2022 21:24:24 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 23 Dec 2022 21:24 UTC

Mark Brader:
> I will reveal the correct answers in about 3 days.

Correction, about 5 days.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "C and C++ are two different languages.
msb@vex.net That's UK policy..." -- Clive Feather

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 9, Rounds 4,6: geometry, CanA&L

<to5noa$625$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4408&group=rec.games.trivia#4408

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 9, Rounds 4,6: geometry, CanA&L
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2022 02:22:03 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Sat, 24 Dec 2022 02:22 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 9, Round 4 - Science - Geometric Formulas

> 1. Area of a circle?

> 2. Area of a square?

B; C

(Because the exponents don't render properly in my newsreader.)

> 3. Surface area of a cube?

> 4. Surface area of a sphere?

> 5. Perimeter of a rectangle?

> 6. Circumference of a circle?

> 7. Volume of a sphere?

> 8. Volume of a cylinder?

> 9. Area of a triangle?

> 10. Volume of a cube?

C; B

> * Game 9, Round 6 - Canadiana Arts & Literature

> 1. This Canadian author won the first Arthur C. Clarke award
> in 1987. The award is given for the best science-fiction novel
> that was first published in the UK during the previous year.
> Name either the author or the award-winning book.

Sawyer; Wilson

> 5. Within 1,000, what is the generally acknowledged number of
> copies that must be sold in a week for a book to become a
> Canadian bestseller?

5,000; 10,000

> 9. In what Canadian city is the art gallery that """claims"""
> to have the largest public collection of contemporary Inuit
> art in the world?

Quebec City

> 10. It's a huge canvas with just two colors of acrylic paint --
> twin vertical stripes of ultramarine blue flanking a middle
> one of cadmium red. Canadians were outraged when the National
> Gallery of Canada paid $1,800,000 for this work in 1989.
> *Name the American artist* who created "Voice of Fire".

Rothko

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 9, Rounds 4,6: geometry, CanA&L

<1045d4c6-3388-4426-9352-46e5663a58b5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4409&group=rec.games.trivia#4409

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2022 19:19:48 -0800 (PST)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Sat, 24 Dec 2022 03:19 UTC

On Friday, December 23, 2022 at 3:23:36 PM UTC-6, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 9, Round 4 - Science - Geometric Formulas
>
> We all were taught some geometry in math class, either in elementary
> school or high school. In this round, we will test much how you
> remember from these classes. In each case, please select the
> correct answer from the following list.
>
> Also note: if there is more than one possibility, select the
> simplest one. Which one, then, is the formula for the...
>
> 1. Area of a circle?

> 2. Area of a square?

> 3. Surface area of a cube?

> 4. Surface area of a sphere?

> 5. Perimeter of a rectangle?

> 6. Circumference of a circle?

> 7. Volume of a sphere?

> 8. Volume of a cylinder?

> 9. Area of a triangle?

> 10. Volume of a cube?

> * Game 9, Round 6 - Canadiana Arts & Literature
>
> 3. In 2006 the Guardian described this Canadian author as
> "possibly the most gifted exegete of North American mass culture
> writing today." In 2009 the Daily Telegraph said he was "one
> of the great satirists of consumerism." He gave us the terms
> "McJob" and "Generation X". Name this author.

Coupland

> 4. This Canadian writer is best known for his humorous observations
> on Canadian history and culture. In 1997 he wrote "Why I
> Hate Canadians", followed the next year by "I was a Teen
> Aged Katima-Victim". In 2000 he gave us "Canadian History
> for Dummies". In 2001 he co-wrote "How to be a Canadian" with
> his brother Ian. And he won the Giller prize in 2012 for "419:
> A Novel." Name this author (the surname is sufficient).
>
> 5. Within 1,000, what is the generally acknowledged number of
> copies that must be sold in a week for a book to become a
> Canadian bestseller?

2,000; 4,001

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 9, Rounds 4,6: geometry, CanA&L

<XnsAF777275F2D28Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4410&group=rec.games.trivia#4410

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2022 11:15:06 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Sat, 24 Dec 2022 10:15 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 9, Round 4 - Science - Geometric Formulas
> [A] 4L [K] 2W + 2L
> [B] L² [L] B × H/2
> [C] L³ [M] B² × H/3
> [D] #r² [N] 4/3 × #r³
> [E] 2#r [O] L × W × H
> [F] #r²H [P] 2#r(r + H)
> [G] 4#r² [Q] L × H × B/2
> [H] B × H [R] L × W × #/4
> [I] #r²H/3 [S] (L + W)/2 × H
> [J] 6 × L² [T] 2(L × W) + 2(W × H) + 2(H × L)
> where
> r = radius
> B = Base
> H = Height
> L = Length
> W = Width (or in one of the decoys, a second length)
>
> Also note: if there is more than one possibility, select the
> simplest one. Which one, then, is the formula for the...
>
> 1. Area of a circle?

> 2. Area of a square?

> 3. Surface area of a cube?

> 4. Surface area of a sphere?

> 5. Perimeter of a rectangle?

> 6. Circumference of a circle?

> 7. Volume of a sphere?

> 8. Volume of a cylinder?

> 9. Area of a triangle?

> 10. Volume of a cube?

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 9, Rounds 4,6: geometry, CanA&L

<to705h$29iih$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4411&group=rec.games.trivia#4411

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2022 05:51:45 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Sat, 24 Dec 2022 13:51 UTC

On 12/23/22 13:23, Mark Brader wrote:

> [...]

> 7. The no-holds-barred "Frank" magazine referred to this person
> by substituting the uncomplimentary moniker "Tubby" for his
> first name, and referred to his 1993 autobiography "A Life in
> Progress" by calling it "A Thesaurus in Progress". Name the
> recipient of these barbs.
>
> 8. He was a Canadian painter and sculptor. In 1969 he was
> made a Companion of the Order of Canada. One of his largest
> compositions, "Point de rencontre" ("Meeting Point"), was
> originally intended for the Toronto airport, but is """now"""
> in the Opéra Bastille in Paris. He was made an Officer of the
> National Order of Quebec in 1988, and was promoted to Grand
> Officer in 1994. In 2000 he was inducted into Canada's Walk
> of Fame. Who?
>
> 9. In what Canadian city is the art gallery that """claims"""
> to have the largest public collection of contemporary Inuit

Edmonton

> 10. It's a huge canvas with just two colors of acrylic paint --
> twin vertical stripes of ultramarine blue flanking a middle
> one of cadmium red. Canadians were outraged when the National
> Gallery of Canada paid $1,800,000 for this work in 1989.
> *Name the American artist* who created "Voice of Fire".

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 9, Rounds 4,6: geometry, CanA&L

<to8afr$4c1$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4412&group=rec.games.trivia#4412

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2022 19:54:03 -0600
 by: Pete Gayde - Sun, 25 Dec 2022 01:54 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-04-08,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Night Owls, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
> answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 9, Round 4 - Science - Geometric Formulas
>
> We all were taught some geometry in math class, either in elementary
> school or high school. In this round, we will test much how you
> remember from these classes. In each case, please select the
> correct answer from the following list.
>
> *NOTE*: In order for this to be posted in ISO 8859-1, every instance
> of the # sign represents pi. The characters ², ³, and × should show
> correctly as "squared", "cubed", and the "times" sign respectively.
> [Obviously, in some of the formulas the × sign is not used.
> For forms like x/y × z, the intent is to divide and then multiply.]
>
> [A] 4L [K] 2W + 2L
> [B] L² [L] B × H/2
> [C] L³ [M] B² × H/3
> [D] #r² [N] 4/3 × #r³
> [E] 2#r [O] L × W × H
> [F] #r²H [P] 2#r(r + H)
> [G] 4#r² [Q] L × H × B/2
> [H] B × H [R] L × W × #/4
> [I] #r²H/3 [S] (L + W)/2 × H
> [J] 6 × L² [T] 2(L × W) + 2(W × H) + 2(H × L)
> where
> r = radius
> B = Base
> H = Height
> L = Length
> W = Width (or in one of the decoys, a second length)
>
> Also note: if there is more than one possibility, select the
> simplest one. Which one, then, is the formula for the...
>
> 1. Area of a circle?

> 2. Area of a square?

> 3. Surface area of a cube?

> 4. Surface area of a sphere?

N; I

> 5. Perimeter of a rectangle?

> 6. Circumference of a circle?

> 7. Volume of a sphere?

N; I

> [...]

> 7. The no-holds-barred "Frank" magazine referred to this person
> by substituting the uncomplimentary moniker "Tubby" for his
> first name, and referred to his 1993 autobiography "A Life in
> Progress" by calling it "A Thesaurus in Progress". Name the
> recipient of these barbs.
>
> 8. He was a Canadian painter and sculptor. In 1969 he was
> made a Companion of the Order of Canada. One of his largest
> compositions, "Point de rencontre" ("Meeting Point"), was
> originally intended for the Toronto airport, but is """now"""
> in the Opéra Bastille in Paris. He was made an Officer of the
> National Order of Quebec in 1988, and was promoted to Grand
> Officer in 1994. In 2000 he was inducted into Canada's Walk
> of Fame. Who?
>
> 9. In what Canadian city is the art gallery that """claims"""
> to have the largest public collection of contemporary Inuit

Edmonton; White Horse

> 10. It's a huge canvas with just two colors of acrylic paint --
> twin vertical stripes of ultramarine blue flanking a middle
> one of cadmium red. Canadians were outraged when the National
> Gallery of Canada paid $1,800,000 for this work in 1989.
> *Name the American artist* who created "Voice of Fire".

Pete Gayde

RQFTCINO13 Game 9, Rounds 4,6 answers: geometry, CanA&L

<IpKdnUKPaYPZ-TP-nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4416&group=rec.games.trivia#4416

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCINO13 Game 9, Rounds 4,6 answers: geometry, CanA&L
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2022 04:08:36 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 30 Dec 2022 04:08 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-04-08,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2022-09-09 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

(Sorry, I missed a day again.)

> * Game 9, Round 4 - Science - Geometric Formulas

> We all were taught some geometry in math class, either in elementary
> school or high school. In this round, we will test much how you
> remember from these classes. In each case, please select the
> correct answer from the following list.

This was the easiest round in the original game, too.

> *NOTE*: In order for this to be posted in ISO 8859-1, every instance
> of the # sign represents pi. The characters ², ³, and × should show
> correctly as "squared", "cubed", and the "times" sign respectively.
> [Obviously, in some of the formulas the × sign is not used.
> For forms like x/y × z, the intent is to divide and then multiply.]

> [A] 4L [K] 2W + 2L
> [B] L² [L] B × H/2
> [C] L³ [M] B² × H/3
> [D] #r² [N] 4/3 × #r³
> [E] 2#r [O] L × W × H
> [F] #r²H [P] 2#r(r + H)
> [G] 4#r² [Q] L × H × B/2
> [H] B × H [R] L × W × #/4
> [I] #r²H/3 [S] (L + W)/2 × H
> [J] 6 × L² [T] 2(L × W) + 2(W × H) + 2(H × L)
> where
> r = radius
> B = Base
> H = Height
> L = Length
> W = Width (or in one of the decoys, a second length)

> Also note: if there is more than one possibility, select the
> simplest one. Which one, then, is the formula for the...

> 1. Area of a circle?

[D] #r². 4 for everyone -- Dan Blum, Joshua, Erland, Dan Tilque,
and Pete.

> 2. Area of a square?

[B] L². 4 for Joshua, Erland, Dan Tilque, and Pete. 3 for Dan Blum.

> 3. Surface area of a cube?

[J] 6 × L². 4 for everyone.

> 4. Surface area of a sphere?

[G] 4#r². 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Erland, and Dan Tilque.

> 5. Perimeter of a rectangle?

[K] 2W + 2L. 4 for everyone.

> 6. Circumference of a circle?

[E] 2#r. 4 for everyone.

> 7. Volume of a sphere?

[N] 4/3 × #r³. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Erland, and Dan Tilque.
3 for Pete.

> 8. Volume of a cylinder?

[F] #r²H. 4 for everyone.

> 9. Area of a triangle?

[L] B × H/2. 4 for everyone.

> 10. Volume of a cube?

[C] L³. 4 for Joshua, Erland, Dan Tilque, and Pete. 3 for Dan Blum.

> And if you would like to identify the decoys for fun, but for no points,
> decode the rot13 and continue.

It would have been more fun to do these the other way, but rot13
would not have concealed the formulas effectively enough. As it
was, nobody tried them.

> 11. Surface area of rectangular parallelpiped (that is, a "shoebox"
> figure, like a cube but with rectangular faces)?

[T] 2(L × W) + 2(W × H) + 2(H × L).

> 12. Volume of a triangular prism?

[Q] L × H × B/2.

> 13. Area of a trapezoid?

[S] (L + W)/2 × H.

> 14. Volume of a square-based pyramid?

[M] B² × H/3.

> 15. Area of an ellipse?

[R] L × W × #/4.

> 16. Volume of a "shoebox" figure?

[O] L × W × H.

> 17. Volume of a cone?

[I] #r²H/3.

> 18. Perimeter of a square?

[A] 4L.

> 19. Area of a rectangle?

[H] B × H.

> 20. Surface area of a cylinder?

[P] 2#r(r + H).

> * Game 9, Round 6 - Canadiana Arts & Literature

This was the hardest round in the original game.

> 1. This Canadian author won the first Arthur C. Clarke award
> in 1987. The award is given for the best science-fiction novel
> that was first published in the UK during the previous year.
> Name either the author or the award-winning book.

Margaret Atwood, "The Handmaid's Tale". Not an answer I would have
guessed, as an SF fan.

> 2. "I would walk to the end of the street and over the prairie
> with the clickety grasshoppers bunging in arcs ahead of me,
> and I could hear the hum and twang of wind in the great prairie
> harp of telephone wires. Standing there with the total thrust
> of prairie sun on my vulnerable head, I guess I learned --
> at a very young age -- that I was mortal." This excerpt was
> recited by Donald Sutherland at the opening ceremonies of the
> 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver. Again, name either the
> author or the book it was taken from.

W.O. Mitchell, "Who Has Seen the Wind".

> 3. In 2006 the Guardian described this Canadian author as
> "possibly the most gifted exegete of North American mass culture
> writing today." In 2009 the Daily Telegraph said he was "one
> of the great satirists of consumerism." He gave us the terms
> "McJob" and "Generation X". Name this author.

Douglas Coupland. 4 for Joshua.

> 4. This Canadian writer is best known for his humorous observations
> on Canadian history and culture. In 1997 he wrote "Why I
> Hate Canadians", followed the next year by "I was a Teen
> Aged Katima-Victim". In 2000 he gave us "Canadian History
> for Dummies". In 2001 he co-wrote "How to be a Canadian" with
> his brother Ian. And he won the Giller prize in 2012 for "419:
> A Novel." Name this author (the surname is sufficient).

Will Ferguson.

> 5. Within 1,000, what is the generally acknowledged number of
> copies that must be sold in a week for a book to become a
> Canadian bestseller?

5,000 (accepting 4,000-6,000). 3 for Dan Blum. 2 for Joshua.

> 6. This talented individual had many careers: for him, writing
> was a sideline. He wrote "Face-Off at the Summit", "Home Game:
> Hockey and Life in Canada", "The Moved and the Shaken", and
> "In School: Our Kids, Our Teachers, Our Classrooms". Who was he?

Ken Dryden.

> 7. The no-holds-barred "Frank" magazine referred to this person
> by substituting the uncomplimentary moniker "Tubby" for his
> first name, and referred to his 1993 autobiography "A Life in
> Progress" by calling it "A Thesaurus in Progress". Name the
> recipient of these barbs.

Conrad Black.

> 8. He was a Canadian painter and sculptor. In 1969 he was
> made a Companion of the Order of Canada. One of his largest
> compositions, "Point de rencontre" ("Meeting Point"), was
> originally intended for the Toronto airport, but is """now"""
> in the Opéra Bastille in Paris. He was made an Officer of the
> National Order of Quebec in 1988, and was promoted to Grand
> Officer in 1994. In 2000 he was inducted into Canada's Walk
> of Fame. Who?

Jean-Paul Riopelle. (The painting still belongs to France, but is
now in Ottawa, on loan to Rideau Hall.)

See: http://www.gg.ca/sites/default/files/media/activities/gg08-2021-0075-001.jpg

> 9. In what Canadian city is the art gallery that """claims"""
> to have the largest public collection of contemporary Inuit
> art in the world?

Winnipeg. (Still true.)

> 10. It's a huge canvas with just two colors of acrylic paint --
> twin vertical stripes of ultramarine blue flanking a middle
> one of cadmium red. Canadians were outraged when the National
> Gallery of Canada paid $1,800,000 for this work in 1989.
> *Name the American artist* who created "Voice of Fire".

Barnett Newman.

See: http://uploads4.wikiart.org/images/barnett-newman/voice-of-fire-1967.jpg

(My comment at the time of the controversy was more or less as follows:
"I think it's a fine work of art; I'd pay a couple of hundred dollars
for it myself if I had a place to put it.")

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 9 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Ent Geo Sci Can
Joshua Kreitzer 40 8 40 6 94
Dan Blum 28 24 38 3 93
Erland Sommarskog 4 20 40 0 64
Dan Tilque 0 16 40 0 56
Pete Gayde 4 15 35 0 54

--
Mark Brader Table feel plays a large part, but here
Toronto I only have keyboard feel.