From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: FIFA World Cup 2022 quiz
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 21:14:57 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Tue, 20 Dec 2022 20:14 UTC

FIFA World Cup 2022 is over, and just like in 2018 I have composed a
quiz about the tournament, and there are also some trivia questions
about FIFA World Cup in general.

I don't expect this to be a simple quiz, so don't be shy if you only
know a few questions - that could still give you a good score.

As you will find, some questions are worth fewer points than others. These
are the questions that are quite a bit on the odd trivia side.

As usual post your answers to this newsgroup. Use no other sources
than your own knowledge and common senses for good guesses.

I plan to score this quiz on Boxing Day.

Have fun!
1. a) One country made its debut in the World Cup. Which? (5p)
b) Two more teams only played their second World Cup. Name any of
them (5p)

2. France was not able to defend their title from 2018. For 3p each,
give all teams that have defended the title, and if you also give the
year, there are 3p more for each correct year. (There is no penalty
as such for incorrect answers, but if you have all correct
answers and add one incorrect, I will deduct 3p from your score.)

3. This was the first final between France and Argentina. Which two teams
have
played the greatest number of finals against each other? (10p)

4. Leo Messi finally became World Champion, well-deserved. Which World Cup
record previously held by Lothar Mattäus does he now hold? (10p)

5. Cristian Ronaldo was less successful, but he did nevertheless make some
achievements:
a) What a first in FIFA World Cup did he make? (3p)
b) What overall football record does he now share with Bader Al-Mutawa
from Kuwait? (3p)
c) In the match against Switzerland, CR7 was relegated to the
substitutes bench, being replaced in the starting eleven by Gonçalo
Ramos. How did Ramos fare in that game? (4p)

6. We should not forget Kylian Mbappé. He went to the top in a somewhat
more niched leader board. He also achieved noticeable second, with
Geoff Hurst being the first one. Name any of these feats for 10p.

7. One of the stadiums in the World Cup 2022 was called Stadium 974.
a) It was constructed of 974 what? (5p)
b) The number 974 was very purposely selected. What does it signify?
(5p)

8. For the second consecutive World Cup, Germany failed to qualify from
the group stage. But there is one former World Champion of which the
slate for the World Cups 2018 and 2022 is even worse. Which? (10p)

9. Which year was the last time someone scored ten goals or more in the
same World Cup tournament? Alternatively, give the name of the player.
(10p)

10. Which is the only team from the South American federation CONMEBOL
to never have played in the World Cup? (10p)

11. Football is very much a European and South American affair. For 3p
each, list all teams not from UEFA (Europe) or CONMEBOL (South America)
that have reached the semi-finals in the World Cup. Years not required.
The same principle as in #2 apply to incorrect answers.

12. The match between Germany and Costa Rica constituted what noticeable
first? (10p)

13. Which team sported the son of a President of a Republic? (7p)

14. In the quarter-finale against France, the English defender Harry
Maguire received a yellow card around the 90th minute in the second
half. There is something noticeable about this. What? (7p)

15. Andries Noppert was the goalkeeper in all the five games that
the Netherlands played. Within 10%, how many games has he played
in total for the in the Dutch national team? (7p)

16. There are legendary football players and there are legendary football
players. Ferenc Puskás certainly belongs to the latter group. He was
the top star of the best team that never won the World Cup, the
Hungarian team of 1954. Puskás made one more World Cup appearance,
and there is something quite remarkable with it. What? (7p)

17. Of the teams in the World Cup 2022, there is something with regards
to the players' background that differentiates Argentina, Brazil,
Saudi-Arabia and South Korea from all other countries. What? (7p)

18. The youngest and the oldest goal scorers in a World Cup final have
something in common. What? (7p)

19. Two questions about the World Cup 2026.
a) Which country/ies will host it? (5p)
b) There is a novelty planned for this World Cup, what? (5p)

20. Finally, a question that I forgot include in my previous World Cup
quiz, which I include for fun: In the final group game in the World
Cup, Germany lost against South Korea with 0-2. The second goal
scored by the Koreans followed a theme which is very unusual in
football, but which is common in ice hockey. What? (5p)

Re: FIFA World Cup 2022 quiz

<tntg6a$1tev$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4403&group=rec.games.trivia#4403

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: FIFA World Cup 2022 quiz
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 17:23:54 -0600
 by: Pete Gayde - Tue, 20 Dec 2022 23:23 UTC

Erland Sommarskog wrote:
> FIFA World Cup 2022 is over, and just like in 2018 I have composed a
> quiz about the tournament, and there are also some trivia questions
> about FIFA World Cup in general.
>
> I don't expect this to be a simple quiz, so don't be shy if you only
> know a few questions - that could still give you a good score.
>
> As you will find, some questions are worth fewer points than others. These
> are the questions that are quite a bit on the odd trivia side.
>
> As usual post your answers to this newsgroup. Use no other sources
> than your own knowledge and common senses for good guesses.
>
> I plan to score this quiz on Boxing Day.
>
> Have fun!
>
> 1. a) One country made its debut in the World Cup. Which? (5p)

Qatar

> b) Two more teams only played their second World Cup. Name any of
> them (5p)

Canada

> 2. France was not able to defend their title from 2018. For 3p each,
> give all teams that have defended the title, and if you also give the
> year, there are 3p more for each correct year. (There is no penalty
> as such for incorrect answers, but if you have all correct
> answers and add one incorrect, I will deduct 3p from your score.)

Italy (1938), Brazil (1962)

> 3. This was the first final between France and Argentina. Which two teams
> have
> played the greatest number of finals against each other? (10p)

Brazil, Germany

> 4. Leo Messi finally became World Champion, well-deserved. Which World Cup
> record previously held by Lothar Mattäus does he now hold? (10p)

Most minutes played in a WC career

> 5. Cristian Ronaldo was less successful, but he did nevertheless make some
> achievements:
> a) What a first in FIFA World Cup did he make? (3p)

First to score in 5 WC tournaments

> b) What overall football record does he now share with Bader Al-Mutawa
> from Kuwait? (3p) > c) In the match against Switzerland, CR7 was relegated to the
> substitutes bench, being replaced in the starting eleven by Gonçalo
> Ramos. How did Ramos fare in that game? (4p)

Scored 2 goals

> 6. We should not forget Kylian Mbappé. He went to the top in a somewhat
> more niched leader board. He also achieved noticeable second, with
> Geoff Hurst being the first one. Name any of these feats for 10p.

Scored 3 goals in a WC final

> 7. One of the stadiums in the World Cup 2022 was called Stadium 974.
> a) It was constructed of 974 what? (5p)

Steel beams

> b) The number 974 was very purposely selected. What does it signify?
> (5p)
>
> 8. For the second consecutive World Cup, Germany failed to qualify from
> the group stage. But there is one former World Champion of which the
> slate for the World Cups 2018 and 2022 is even worse. Which? (10p)

Italy

> 9. Which year was the last time someone scored ten goals or more in the
> same World Cup tournament? Alternatively, give the name of the player.
> (10p)

1958 (Just Fontaine)

> 10. Which is the only team from the South American federation CONMEBOL
> to never have played in the World Cup? (10p)

Venezuela

> 11. Football is very much a European and South American affair. For 3p
> each, list all teams not from UEFA (Europe) or CONMEBOL (South America)
> that have reached the semi-finals in the World Cup. Years not required.
> The same principle as in #2 apply to incorrect answers.

South Korea, Morocco, United States

> 12. The match between Germany and Costa Rica constituted what noticeable
> first? (10p)

Most goals scored by one team

> 13. Which team sported the son of a President of a Republic? (7p)

South Korea

> 14. In the quarter-finale against France, the English defender Harry
> Maguire received a yellow card around the 90th minute in the second
> half. There is something noticeable about this. What? (7p)

It was the latest that the first yellow card of a game has been assessed

0

> 16. There are legendary football players and there are legendary football
> players. Ferenc Puskás certainly belongs to the latter group. He was
> the top star of the best team that never won the World Cup, the
> Hungarian team of 1954. Puskás made one more World Cup appearance,
> and there is something quite remarkable with it. What? (7p)
>
> 17. Of the teams in the World Cup 2022, there is something with regards
> to the players' background that differentiates Argentina, Brazil,
> Saudi-Arabia and South Korea from all other countries. What? (7p)
>
> 18. The youngest and the oldest goal scorers in a World Cup final have
> something in common. What? (7p)
>
> 19. Two questions about the World Cup 2026.
> a) Which country/ies will host it? (5p)

USA, Canada, and Mexico

> b) There is a novelty planned for this World Cup, what? (5p)

First time with 48 teams?

> 20. Finally, a question that I forgot include in my previous World Cup
> quiz, which I include for fun: In the final group game in the World
> Cup, Germany lost against South Korea with 0-2. The second goal
> scored by the Koreans followed a theme which is very unusual in
> football, but which is common in ice hockey. What? (5p) >

Pete Gayde

RESULTS: FIFA World Cup 2022 quiz

<XnsAF799D27D56D6Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4413&group=rec.games.trivia#4413

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RESULTS: FIFA World Cup 2022 quiz
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2022 15:26:56 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Mon, 26 Dec 2022 14:26 UTC

This quiz was not a stunning success. Pete Gayde was the only one
to enter, so he is obviously the winner. He has a very good entry,
so he would have been difficult to beat.

Since there is only one entry, I will simply quote Pete's post and
include the correct answers, and compute his score as I move on.

Pete Gayde (pete.gayde@gmail.com) writes:

> Erland Sommarskog wrote:
>> 1. a) One country made its debut in the World Cup. Which? (5p)
>
> Qatar

Correct. 5p.

>> b) Two more teams only played their second World Cup. Name any of
>> them (5p)
>
> Canada

Correct. 10p in total.

The other country was Wales. None of these three teams did very well.
Canada and Qatar lost all their games (but Canada was still a lot better
than Qatar). Wales played 0-0 against USA, but lost the next two games.

>> 2. France was not able to defend their title from 2018. For 3p each,
>> give all teams that have defended the title, and if you also give
>> the year, there are 3p more for each correct year. (There is no
>> penalty as such for incorrect answers, but if you have all correct
>> answers and add one incorrect, I will deduct 3p from your score.)
>
> Italy (1938), Brazil (1962)

Correct. 22p.
>> 3. This was the first final between France and Argentina. Which two
>> teams have played the greatest number of finals against each other?
>> (10p)
>
> Brazil, Germany

Incorrect. Correct answer is Argetina and (West) Germany who met in the
finals 1986 (winner: Argentina), 1990 (West Germany) and 2014 (Germany).

The only other teams to have played a final more than once are Brazil-
Italy, 1970 and 1994, Brazil won both.

Brazil and Germany met in the final 2002, with Brazil winning gold. But
that is the only one.

Still 22p.

>> 4. Leo Messi finally became World Champion, well-deserved. Which
>> World Cup record previously held by Lothar Mattäus does he now hold?
>> (10p)
>
> Most minutes played in a WC career

The answer I was looking for "Played most WC matches". Messi has now
played 26, whereas Mattäus played 25. Hypothetically, Mattäus could
have played more minutes than Messi, if Messi came in as a late
subsitute in some games or similar. But I am not going to ressarch
that, so I am ruling Pete's answer as correct. 32p.
>> 5. Cristian Ronaldo was less successful, but he did nevertheless make
>> some achievements:
>> a) What a first in FIFA World Cup did he make? (3p)
>
> First to score in 5 WC tournaments

Correct. 35p.

>> b) What overall football record does he now share with Bader Al-
>> Mutawafrom Kuwait? (3p)

Most games played in a men's national team. The number is 196. There are
quite a few women who have played more than 200 international mathces. And
the overall record holder is Kristine Lilly, USA, with 354 matches.

Still 35p.

> c) In the match against Switzerland, CR7 was relegated to the
>> substitutes bench, being replaced in the starting eleven by
>> Gonçalo Ramos. How did Ramos fare in that game? (4p)
>
> Scored 2 goals

Even better, it was a hat trick! But 2 goals is close enough, 39p.

>> 6. We should not forget Kylian Mbappé. He went to the top in a somewhat
>> more niched leader board. He also achieved noticeable second, with
>> Geoff Hurst being the first one. Name any of these feats for 10p.
>
> Scored 3 goals in a WC final

Correct. Geoff Hurst was the first to score a hat trick in a final in 1966.

Kylian Mbappé has in total scored four goals in WC Finals, more than
any other player.

49p.

>> 7. One of the stadiums in the World Cup 2022 was called Stadium 974.
>> a) It was constructed of 974 what? (5p)
>
> Steel beams

Nope. 974 containers. And if someone reacted to "was" and thinking that
the stadium is still there: It is not. Reportedly, they started
dismantling it right after the last game was played there. The containers
will be shipped to Montevideo. And maybe it will once again become a World
Cup stadium. Uruguay has a bid for the 2030 WC together with Argentina,
Chile and Paraguay.

Still 49p.

>> b) The number 974 was very purposely selected. What does it signify?
>> (5p)

It's the calling code for Qatar.

Still 49p.

>> 8. For the second consecutive World Cup, Germany failed to qualify from
>> the group stage. But there is one former World Champion of which the
>> slate for the World Cups 2018 and 2022 is even worse. Which? (10p)
>
> Italy

Correct. Italy failed to qualify both 2018 and 2022. In 2018 they lost
in the play-off against Sweden. This year, they lost in the first
play-off against North Macedonia. North Macedonia lost the play-off
final against Portugal. 59p.

>> 9. Which year was the last time someone scored ten goals or more in the
>> same World Cup tournament? Alternatively, give the name of the
>> player. (10p)
>
> 1958 (Just Fontaine)

Incorrect. Correct answer is 1970, and the player was Gerd Müller.

Frenchman Fontaine holds the overall record with 13 goals in a single
tournament, and that was indeed in 1958.

Still 59p.

>> 10. Which is the only team from the South American federation CONMEBOL
>> to never have played in the World Cup? (10p)
>
> Venezuela

Correct. 69p.
>> 11. Football is very much a European and South American affair. For 3p
>> each, list all teams not from UEFA (Europe) or CONMEBOL (South
>> America) that have reached the semi-finals in the World Cup. Years
>> not required.
>> The same principle as in #2 apply to incorrect answers.
>
> South Korea, Morocco, United States

Correct. The years were 2002, 2022 and 1930 repsectively. Of these only
USA managed to get medals, bronze. (Which they shared with Jugoslavia,
as no bronze game was played 1930.) 81p.
>> 12. The match between Germany and Costa Rica constituted what noticeable
>> first? (10p)
>
> Most goals scored by one team

Incorrect. This was the first game with a female referee, Stéphanie
Frappert. FIFA got a bit flak here. Normally a referee and the two
linesmen are a team who have made many games together. But Mme
Frappert had to work with two linesment, also women, from other
parts of the world, and who were non French-speaking, which is
kind of a difficult situation. Nevertheless, the game ended without
indicdents that can be blamed on her.

The record for the number of goals by a single team is held by
Hungary who crushed El Salvador with 10-1 in the World Cup 1982.

Germany won over Costa Rica with 4-2. Plenty of goals, but no
record.

Still 81p.

>> 13. Which team sported the son of a President of a Republic? (7p)
>
> South Korea

Incorrect. The correct answer is USA. Timothy Weah is the son of
George Weah, himself a legendary footballer, now president of
Liberia.

Still 81p.

>> 14. In the quarter-finale against France, the English defender Harry
>> Maguire received a yellow card around the 90th minute in the second
>> half. There is something noticeable about this. What? (7p)
>
> It was the latest that the first yellow card of a game has been assessed

I don't think this is correct. As I recall, there were French players
who got a yellow card in that game.

The answer I was looking for is that this was the only yellow card
given to an English player in the World Cup. Since they were losing
that game, they were very close to a clean slate for fair play.

Still 81p.

>> 15. Andries Noppert was the goalkeeper in all the five games that
>> the Netherlands played. Within 10%, how many games has he played
>> in total for the in the Dutch national team? (7p)
>
> 0

That answer is obviously incorrect. The question tells us that the
answer cannot be lower than 5. ;-)

I guess that Pete had a lapse here, because the correct answer is
exactly that: 5. That is, he made his debut in the national team in
the World Cup.

Still at 81p.

>> 16. There are legendary football players and there are legendary football
>> players. Ferenc Puskás certainly belongs to the latter group. He was
>> the top star of the best team that never won the World Cup, the
>> Hungarian team of 1954. Puskás made one more World Cup appearance,
>> and there is something quite remarkable with it. What? (7p)

The second appearence was in 1962 when he played for Spain. According
to Wikipedia there is only one more player who has played for
two countries for real in 1930 and 1934. Wikipedia lists two or
three players who played for Jugoslavia in 1990 and Croatia 1998,
but that's a different story.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: RESULTS: FIFA World Cup 2022 quiz

<toib9h$2esr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4414&group=rec.games.trivia#4414

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: RESULTS: FIFA World Cup 2022 quiz
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2022 13:09:05 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Wed, 28 Dec 2022 21:09 UTC

On 12/26/22 06:26, Erland Sommarskog wrote:
> This quiz was not a stunning success.

Did you really expect one? I didn't know *any* of the answers. Could you
have answered any similar type of questions about the Super Bowl?

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RESULTS: FIFA World Cup 2022 quiz

<XnsAF7CC971E5EBCYazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4415&group=rec.games.trivia#4415

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2022 19:48:10 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Thu, 29 Dec 2022 18:48 UTC

Dan Tilque (dtilque@frontier.com) writes:
> On 12/26/22 06:26, Erland Sommarskog wrote:
>> This quiz was not a stunning success.
>
> Did you really expect one? I didn't know *any* of the answers.

Not even the question where the next World Cup will take the place? I
don't know which cities that will host the games, but may there be
an opportunity for you to see a game in Portland.

> Could you have answered any similar type of questions about the Super
> Bowl?

I couldn't say that I care much for the Super Bowl. But it is also
quite much a local event.