Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 20:26:11 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: I am trying to operate a 50 Watt Mercury Vapor bulb for my lighting
collection but at this time and age there is nonthing out there
From: rrbran...@gmail.com (Russell Brand)
 by: Russell Brand - Sat, 20 May 2023 03:26 UTC

Is there anything at all ( I tried every lead possable) to operate a 50 W GE Mercury vapor bulb. Is this a loss cause?

Re: I am trying to operate a 50 Watt Mercury Vapor bulb for my lighting collection but at this time and age there is nonthing out there

<JpX9M.442446$ZnFc.100294@fx41.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=44012&group=alt.home.repair#44012

Subject: Re: I am trying to operate a 50 Watt Mercury Vapor bulb for my
lighting collection but at this time and age there is nonthing out there
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed Pawlowski)
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 23:47:51 -0400
 by: Ed Pawlowski - Sat, 20 May 2023 03:47 UTC

On 5/19/2023 11:26 PM, Russell Brand wrote:

> Is there anything at all ( I tried every lead possable) to operate a 50 W GE Mercury vapor bulb. Is this a loss cause?

Do you have a proper fixture with a ballast?

What is the function ballast on mercury Vapour lamp?
Ballasts are used to initiate and control the arc in mercury and metal
additive curing lamps. Ballasts provide an instantaneous high voltage to
strike the elements within a mercury vapor lamp, creating a plasma that,
once initiated, is sustained by the ballast.

Re: I am trying to operate a 50 Watt Mercury Vapor bulb for my lighting collection but at this time and age there is nonthing out there

<lA3aM.1045210$ttZe.65824@fx06.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=44015&group=alt.home.repair#44015

lighting collection but at this time and age there is nonthing out there
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: ...@. (😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅)
Date: Sat, 20 May 2023 09:05:14 -0400
 by: 😎 Mighty Wannabe - Sat, 20 May 2023 13:05 UTC

On 5/19/2023 11:47 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 5/19/2023 11:26 PM, Russell Brand wrote:
>>

>> Is there anything at all ( I tried every  lead possable) to operate a
>> 50 W GE  Mercury vapor bulb. Is this a loss cause?
>>

> Do you have a proper fixture with a ballast?
>
> What is the function ballast on mercury Vapour lamp?
> Ballasts are used to initiate and control the arc in mercury and metal
> additive curing lamps. Ballasts provide an instantaneous high voltage
> to strike the elements within a mercury vapor lamp, creating a plasma
> that, once initiated, is sustained by the ballast.

High power ones are usually for greenhouses, but 50W is mostly likely
for lizard solarium. Many of such low power mercury vapour lamps don't
require external ballast. Just search Amazon or some pet shop website.
If the bulb has normal screw thread like a regular light bulb, then most
likely it doesn't require a ballast. Get a light fixture with ceramic
socket because these bulbs are very hot. Normal plastic socket will
melt. If you cannot find light fixture with ceramic socket from Home
Depot, then try pet shops that sell reptiles.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=ceramic+reptile+heat+lamp+holder

Re: I am trying to operate a 50 Watt Mercury Vapor bulb for my lighting collection but at this time and age there is nonthing out there

<1ifaM.3732306$GNG9.280643@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=44038&group=alt.home.repair#44038

lighting collection but at this time and age there is nonthing out there
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: nul...@void.com (bud--)
Date: Sat, 20 May 2023 21:22:44 -0600
 by: bud-- - Sun, 21 May 2023 03:22 UTC

On 5/19/2023 9:47 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 5/19/2023 11:26 PM, Russell Brand wrote:
>>

>> Is there anything at all ( I tried every  lead possable) to operate a
>> 50 W GE  Mercury vapor bulb. Is this a loss cause?
>>

> Do you have a proper fixture with a ballast?
>
> What is the function ballast on mercury Vapour lamp?
> Ballasts are used to initiate and control the arc in mercury and metal
> additive curing lamps. Ballasts provide an instantaneous high voltage to
> strike the elements within a mercury vapor lamp, creating a plasma that,
> once initiated, is sustained by the ballast.

Arc discharge lamps - mercury, high/low pressure sodium, fluorescent,
neon - basically operate at constant current. They don't like constant
voltage supply. A ballast (and neon sign transformer) provide much more
of a constant current supply than constant voltage. High voltage pulse
start is particularly important with high pressure sodium.

Almost no information was provided about the lamp. Where did it come
from. Lighting, sun tan, grow lite, .... Part number.

interests / alt.home.repair / I am trying to operate a 50 Watt Mercury Vapor bulb for my lighting collection but at this time and age there is nonthing out there