Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCINO13 Game 9, Rounds 2-3: directors, waterfalls
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2022 21:36:41 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 19 Dec 2022 21:36 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-04-08,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Night Owls, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 9, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

Answer these 2013 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

1. On April 5, an episode of what sitcom was taped featuring the
female cast of the "Mary Tyler Moore Show"? The episode
included guest stars Mary Tyler Moore, Cloris Leachman, and
the terminally ill Valerie Harper, as well as Betty White,
a regular on the show. What is the name of the currently
running sitcom that will feature this reunion?

2. Last week the L.A. Lakers retired jersey #34. Who was the
all-star former Laker who wore it?

* Game 9, Round 2 - Entertainment - Directors

In each case, name the director of the movies listed.

1. "Hugo", "The Departed", "Gangs of New York".
2. "Thank You for Smoking", "Juno", "Up in The Air".
3. "Apollo 13", "A Beautiful Mind", "Cinderella Man".
4. "The Usual Suspects", "X-Men", "Superman Returns".
5. "American Beauty", "Revolutionary Road", "Skyfall".
6. "Scarface", "The Untouchables", "Mission: Impossible".
7. "As Good As It Gets", "Terms of Endearment", "Broadcast News".
8. "The Virgin Suicides", "Lost in Translation", "Marie Antoinette".
9. "My Own Private Idaho", "Good Will Hunting", "Finding Forrester".
10. "The Princess Bride", "When Harry Met Sally", "The American
President".

* Game 9, Round 3 - Geography - Waterfalls of the World

1. Which notable waterfall in South America can be found in Canaima
National Park?

2. This fall, although neither the highest at 108 m (355 feet)
nor the widest at 1,708 m (5,600 feet), is the largest in the
world in terms of area of falling sheet (or area of the vertical
drop). What is the name of this fall on the Zambezi River?

3. Located about 30 km (20 miles) west of Thunder Bay, this
waterfall 39 m (128 feet) tall is sometimes known as the
Niagara of the North. What is it called?

4. This very voluminous waterfall, located on the border of Brazil
and Argentina, is a wonder of the world. What's its name?

Please decode the rot13 for the questions #5-8 only after you have.
finished with questions #1-4.

5. Jung vf gur gnyyrfg jngresnyy va Havgrq Fgngrf? Vgf gbgny qebc
bire 3 cyhatrf vf 739 z be 2,425 srrg. Vgf unf gur fnzr anzr
nf gur angvbany cnex gung fheebhaqf vg.

6. Ng 979 z be 3,212 srrg, Natry Snyyf va Irarmhryn vf gur jbeyq'f
gnyyrfg. Ghtryn Snyyf, gur frpbaq gnyyrfg jngresnyy va gur
jbeyq, vf bayl fyvtugyl fubegre ng 947 zrgref be 3,110 srrg.
Jung pbhagel vf vg va?

7. Ng 350 z be 1,150 srrg, Cvffvat Zner Snyyf vf gur gnyyrfg
jngresnyy va rnfgrea Abegu Nzrevpn. Va *juvpu Pnanqvna angvbany
cnex* jbhyq lbh svaq vg?

8. Ng n urvtug bs 84 z be 275 srrg, guvf jngresnyy vf gur gnyyrfg
va Dhrorp, naq vf ybpngrq bayl 12 xz sebz gur pragre bs Dhrorp
Pvgl. Jung vf vg pnyyrq, va Ratyvfu?

9. When Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote "The Adventure of the Final
Problem", he chose the Reichenbach Falls as the place where
Sherlock Holmes and professor Moriarty had their final fight.
Holmes and Moriarty are fictional, we hear, but the Reichenbach
Falls are real.... and located in what country?

10. According to the World Waterfall Database, *all 18* of the
tallest waterfalls in Europe are in one country. Which one?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Truth speak from any chair."
msb@vex.net -- Charlie Chan at the Wax Museum

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 9, Rounds 2-3: directors, waterfalls

<tnra2p$90p$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4398&group=rec.games.trivia#4398

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 03:27:21 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Tue, 20 Dec 2022 03:27 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 9, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

> 2. Last week the L.A. Lakers retired jersey #34. Who was the
> all-star former Laker who wore it?

Kobe Bryant

> * Game 9, Round 2 - Entertainment - Directors

> In each case, name the director of the movies listed.

> 1. "Hugo", "The Departed", "Gangs of New York".

Martin Scorsese

> 3. "Apollo 13", "A Beautiful Mind", "Cinderella Man".

Ron Howard

> 4. "The Usual Suspects", "X-Men", "Superman Returns".

Bryan Singer

> 5. "American Beauty", "Revolutionary Road", "Skyfall".

Sam Mendes

> 6. "Scarface", "The Untouchables", "Mission: Impossible".

Brian de Palma

> 8. "The Virgin Suicides", "Lost in Translation", "Marie Antoinette".

Sofia Coppola

> 10. "The Princess Bride", "When Harry Met Sally", "The American
> President".

Rob Reiner

> * Game 9, Round 3 - Geography - Waterfalls of the World

> 1. Which notable waterfall in South America can be found in Canaima
> National Park?

Angel Falls

> 2. This fall, although neither the highest at 108 m (355 feet)
> nor the widest at 1,708 m (5,600 feet), is the largest in the
> world in terms of area of falling sheet (or area of the vertical
> drop). What is the name of this fall on the Zambezi River?

Victoria Falls

> 4. This very voluminous waterfall, located on the border of Brazil
> and Argentina, is a wonder of the world. What's its name?

Iquazu

> 5. Jung vf gur gnyyrfg jngresnyy va Havgrq Fgngrf? Vgf gbgny qebc
> bire 3 cyhatrf vf 739 z be 2,425 srrg. Vgf unf gur fnzr anzr
> nf gur angvbany cnex gung fheebhaqf vg.

Yosemite

> 6. Ng 979 z be 3,212 srrg, Natry Snyyf va Irarmhryn vf gur jbeyq'f
> gnyyrfg. Ghtryn Snyyf, gur frpbaq gnyyrfg jngresnyy va gur
> jbeyq, vf bayl fyvtugyl fubegre ng 947 zrgref be 3,110 srrg.
> Jung pbhagel vf vg va?

Chile; Argentina

> 8. Ng n urvtug bs 84 z be 275 srrg, guvf jngresnyy vf gur gnyyrfg
> va Dhrorp, naq vf ybpngrq bayl 12 xz sebz gur pragre bs Dhrorp
> Pvgl. Jung vf vg pnyyrq, va Ratyvfu?

I've been to this waterfall, but can I remember the name? No. I think
it begins with an "M".

> 9. When Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote "The Adventure of the Final
> Problem", he chose the Reichenbach Falls as the place where
> Sherlock Holmes and professor Moriarty had their final fight.
> Holmes and Moriarty are fictional, we hear, but the Reichenbach
> Falls are real.... and located in what country?

Switzerland

> 10. According to the World Waterfall Database, *all 18* of the
> tallest waterfalls in Europe are in one country. Which one?

Norway

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 9, Rounds 2-3: directors, waterfalls

<e398528d-5c54-44d9-9a35-840110b53373n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4399&group=rec.games.trivia#4399

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2022 22:57:57 -0800 (PST)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Tue, 20 Dec 2022 06:57 UTC

On Monday, December 19, 2022 at 3:36:48 PM UTC-6, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 9, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 2013 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. On April 5, an episode of what sitcom was taped featuring the
> female cast of the "Mary Tyler Moore Show"? The episode
> included guest stars Mary Tyler Moore, Cloris Leachman, and
> the terminally ill Valerie Harper, as well as Betty White,
> a regular on the show. What is the name of the currently
> running sitcom that will feature this reunion?

"Hot in Cleveland"

> * Game 9, Round 2 - Entertainment - Directors
>
> In each case, name the director of the movies listed.
>
> 1. "Hugo", "The Departed", "Gangs of New York".

Scorsese

> 2. "Thank You for Smoking", "Juno", "Up in The Air".

Reitman

> 3. "Apollo 13", "A Beautiful Mind", "Cinderella Man".

Howard

> 4. "The Usual Suspects", "X-Men", "Superman Returns".

Singer

> 5. "American Beauty", "Revolutionary Road", "Skyfall".

Mendes

> 6. "Scarface", "The Untouchables", "Mission: Impossible".

De Palma

> 7. "As Good As It Gets", "Terms of Endearment", "Broadcast News".

Brooks

> 8. "The Virgin Suicides", "Lost in Translation", "Marie Antoinette".

Coppola

> 9. "My Own Private Idaho", "Good Will Hunting", "Finding Forrester".

Van Sant

> 10. "The Princess Bride", "When Harry Met Sally", "The American
> President".

Reiner

> * Game 9, Round 3 - Geography - Waterfalls of the World
>
> 1. Which notable waterfall in South America can be found in Canaima
> National Park?

Iguazu Falls
> 4. This very voluminous waterfall, located on the border of Brazil
> and Argentina, is a wonder of the world. What's its name?

Angel Falls

> Please decode the rot13 for the questions #5-8 only after you have.
> finished with questions #1-4.
>
> 5. Jung vf gur gnyyrfg jngresnyy va Havgrq Fgngrf? Vgf gbgny qebc
> bire 3 cyhatrf vf 739 z be 2,425 srrg. Vgf unf gur fnzr anzr
> nf gur angvbany cnex gung fheebhaqf vg.

Yosemite

> 9. When Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote "The Adventure of the Final
> Problem", he chose the Reichenbach Falls as the place where
> Sherlock Holmes and professor Moriarty had their final fight.
> Holmes and Moriarty are fictional, we hear, but the Reichenbach
> Falls are real.... and located in what country?

Switzerland
> 10. According to the World Waterfall Database, *all 18* of the
> tallest waterfalls in Europe are in one country. Which one?

France; Russia

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 9, Rounds 2-3: directors, waterfalls

<XnsAF73D3A6B32B4Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4400&group=rec.games.trivia#4400

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 20:48:22 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Tue, 20 Dec 2022 19:48 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 9, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> * Game 9, Round 2 - Entertainment - Directors
>
> 8. "The Virgin Suicides", "Lost in Translation", "Marie Antoinette".

Sophie Coppola

> * Game 9, Round 3 - Geography - Waterfalls of the World
>
> 1. Which notable waterfall in South America can be found in Canaima
> National Park?

Angel Falls
> 2. This fall, although neither the highest at 108 m (355 feet)
> nor the widest at 1,708 m (5,600 feet), is the largest in the
> world in terms of area of falling sheet (or area of the vertical
> drop). What is the name of this fall on the Zambezi River?

Victoria
> 4. This very voluminous waterfall, located on the border of Brazil
> and Argentina, is a wonder of the world. What's its name?

Cataratas de Igauzú.
> 5. Jung vf gur gnyyrfg jngresnyy va Havgrq Fgngrf? Vgf gbgny qebc
> bire 3 cyhatrf vf 739 z be 2,425 srrg. Vgf unf gur fnzr anzr
> nf gur angvbany cnex gung fheebhaqf vg.

Yellowstone
> 9. When Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote "The Adventure of the Final
> Problem", he chose the Reichenbach Falls as the place where
> Sherlock Holmes and professor Moriarty had their final fight.
> Holmes and Moriarty are fictional, we hear, but the Reichenbach
> Falls are real.... and located in what country?

Switzerland
> 10. According to the World Waterfall Database, *all 18* of the
> tallest waterfalls in Europe are in one country. Which one?

Norway

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 9, Rounds 2-3: directors, waterfalls

<tnt6t4$892$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4402&group=rec.games.trivia#4402

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 14:45:24 -0600
 by: Pete Gayde - Tue, 20 Dec 2022 20:45 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-04-08,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Night Owls, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
> answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 9, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 2013 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. On April 5, an episode of what sitcom was taped featuring the
> female cast of the "Mary Tyler Moore Show"? The episode
> included guest stars Mary Tyler Moore, Cloris Leachman, and
> the terminally ill Valerie Harper, as well as Betty White,
> a regular on the show. What is the name of the currently
> running sitcom that will feature this reunion?

Golden Girls

> 2. Last week the L.A. Lakers retired jersey #34. Who was the
> all-star former Laker who wore it?

Elgin Baylor

> * Game 9, Round 2 - Entertainment - Directors
>
> In each case, name the director of the movies listed.
>
> 1. "Hugo", "The Departed", "Gangs of New York".
> 2. "Thank You for Smoking", "Juno", "Up in The Air".
> 3. "Apollo 13", "A Beautiful Mind", "Cinderella Man".

Ron Howard

> 4. "The Usual Suspects", "X-Men", "Superman Returns".

Snyder

> 5. "American Beauty", "Revolutionary Road", "Skyfall".
> 6. "Scarface", "The Untouchables", "Mission: Impossible".
> 7. "As Good As It Gets", "Terms of Endearment", "Broadcast News".
> 8. "The Virgin Suicides", "Lost in Translation", "Marie Antoinette".
> 9. "My Own Private Idaho", "Good Will Hunting", "Finding Forrester".

Matt Damon

> 10. "The Princess Bride", "When Harry Met Sally", "The American
> President".
>

> * Game 9, Round 3 - Geography - Waterfalls of the World
>
> 1. Which notable waterfall in South America can be found in Canaima
> National Park?

Angel

> 2. This fall, although neither the highest at 108 m (355 feet)
> nor the widest at 1,708 m (5,600 feet), is the largest in the
> world in terms of area of falling sheet (or area of the vertical
> drop). What is the name of this fall on the Zambezi River?
>
> 3. Located about 30 km (20 miles) west of Thunder Bay, this
> waterfall 39 m (128 feet) tall is sometimes known as the
> Niagara of the North. What is it called?
>
> 4. This very voluminous waterfall, located on the border of Brazil
> and Argentina, is a wonder of the world. What's its name?
>
> Please decode the rot13 for the questions #5-8 only after you have.
> finished with questions #1-4.
>
> 5. Jung vf gur gnyyrfg jngresnyy va Havgrq Fgngrf? Vgf gbgny qebc
> bire 3 cyhatrf vf 739 z be 2,425 srrg. Vgf unf gur fnzr anzr
> nf gur angvbany cnex gung fheebhaqf vg.

Yellowstone

> 6. Ng 979 z be 3,212 srrg, Natry Snyyf va Irarmhryn vf gur jbeyq'f
> gnyyrfg. Ghtryn Snyyf, gur frpbaq gnyyrfg jngresnyy va gur
> jbeyq, vf bayl fyvtugyl fubegre ng 947 zrgref be 3,110 srrg.
> Jung pbhagel vf vg va?
>
> 7. Ng 350 z be 1,150 srrg, Cvffvat Zner Snyyf vf gur gnyyrfg
> jngresnyy va rnfgrea Abegu Nzrevpn. Va *juvpu Pnanqvna angvbany
> cnex* jbhyq lbh svaq vg?
>
> 8. Ng n urvtug bs 84 z be 275 srrg, guvf jngresnyy vf gur gnyyrfg
> va Dhrorp, naq vf ybpngrq bayl 12 xz sebz gur pragre bs Dhrorp
> Pvgl. Jung vf vg pnyyrq, va Ratyvfu?

Montmorency

> 9. When Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote "The Adventure of the Final
> Problem", he chose the Reichenbach Falls as the place where
> Sherlock Holmes and professor Moriarty had their final fight.
> Holmes and Moriarty are fictional, we hear, but the Reichenbach
> Falls are real.... and located in what country?

Switzerland

> 10. According to the World Waterfall Database, *all 18* of the
> tallest waterfalls in Europe are in one country. Which one?

Norway; Iceland

Pete Gayde

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 9, Rounds 2-3: directors, waterfalls

<tnv3at$11njh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4404&group=rec.games.trivia#4404

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 05:56:44 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 13:56 UTC

On 12/19/22 13:36, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 9, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 2013 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. On April 5, an episode of what sitcom was taped featuring the
> female cast of the "Mary Tyler Moore Show"? The episode
> included guest stars Mary Tyler Moore, Cloris Leachman, and
> the terminally ill Valerie Harper, as well as Betty White,
> a regular on the show. What is the name of the currently
> running sitcom that will feature this reunion?
>
> 2. Last week the L.A. Lakers retired jersey #34. Who was the
> all-star former Laker who wore it?
>

> * Game 9, Round 2 - Entertainment - Directors
>
> In each case, name the director of the movies listed.
>
> 1. "Hugo", "The Departed", "Gangs of New York".
> 2. "Thank You for Smoking", "Juno", "Up in The Air".
> 3. "Apollo 13", "A Beautiful Mind", "Cinderella Man".
> 4. "The Usual Suspects", "X-Men", "Superman Returns".
> 5. "American Beauty", "Revolutionary Road", "Skyfall".
> 6. "Scarface", "The Untouchables", "Mission: Impossible".
> 7. "As Good As It Gets", "Terms of Endearment", "Broadcast News".
> 8. "The Virgin Suicides", "Lost in Translation", "Marie Antoinette".
> 9. "My Own Private Idaho", "Good Will Hunting", "Finding Forrester".
> 10. "The Princess Bride", "When Harry Met Sally", "The American
> President".
>

> * Game 9, Round 3 - Geography - Waterfalls of the World
>
> 1. Which notable waterfall in South America can be found in Canaima
> National Park?

Angel Falls

> 2. This fall, although neither the highest at 108 m (355 feet)
> nor the widest at 1,708 m (5,600 feet), is the largest in the
> world in terms of area of falling sheet (or area of the vertical
> drop). What is the name of this fall on the Zambezi River?

Victoria Falls

> 3. Located about 30 km (20 miles) west of Thunder Bay, this
> waterfall 39 m (128 feet) tall is sometimes known as the
> Niagara of the North. What is it called?
>
> 4. This very voluminous waterfall, located on the border of Brazil
> and Argentina, is a wonder of the world. What's its name?
>
> Please decode the rot13 for the questions #5-8 only after you have.
> finished with questions #1-4.
>
> 5. Jung vf gur gnyyrfg jngresnyy va Havgrq Fgngrf? Vgf gbgny qebc
> bire 3 cyhatrf vf 739 z be 2,425 srrg. Vgf unf gur fnzr anzr
> nf gur angvbany cnex gung fheebhaqf vg.

Yosemite Falls

> 6. Ng 979 z be 3,212 srrg, Natry Snyyf va Irarmhryn vf gur jbeyq'f
> gnyyrfg. Ghtryn Snyyf, gur frpbaq gnyyrfg jngresnyy va gur
> jbeyq, vf bayl fyvtugyl fubegre ng 947 zrgref be 3,110 srrg.
> Jung pbhagel vf vg va?
>
> 7. Ng 350 z be 1,150 srrg, Cvffvat Zner Snyyf vf gur gnyyrfg
> jngresnyy va rnfgrea Abegu Nzrevpn. Va *juvpu Pnanqvna angvbany
> cnex* jbhyq lbh svaq vg?
>
> 8. Ng n urvtug bs 84 z be 275 srrg, guvf jngresnyy vf gur gnyyrfg
> va Dhrorp, naq vf ybpngrq bayl 12 xz sebz gur pragre bs Dhrorp
> Pvgl. Jung vf vg pnyyrq, va Ratyvfu?
>
> 9. When Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote "The Adventure of the Final
> Problem", he chose the Reichenbach Falls as the place where
> Sherlock Holmes and professor Moriarty had their final fight.
> Holmes and Moriarty are fictional, we hear, but the Reichenbach
> Falls are real.... and located in what country?

Switzerland

> 10. According to the World Waterfall Database, *all 18* of the
> tallest waterfalls in Europe are in one country. Which one?

Austria

--
Dan Tilque

RQFTCINO13 Game 9, Rounds 2-3 answers: directors, waterfalls

<yvmdnUaGrMQnhjv-nZ2dnZfqn_SdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4405&group=rec.games.trivia#4405

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCINO13 Game 9, Rounds 2-3 answers: directors, waterfalls
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2022 21:20:58 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 23 Dec 2022 21:20 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-04-08,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2022-09-09 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 9, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

> Answer these 2013 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

> 1. On April 5, an episode of what sitcom was taped featuring the
> female cast of the "Mary Tyler Moore Show"? The episode
> included guest stars Mary Tyler Moore, Cloris Leachman, and
> the terminally ill Valerie Harper, as well as Betty White,
> a regular on the show. What is the name of the currently
> running sitcom that will feature this reunion?

"Hot in Cleveland". Joshua got this.

> 2. Last week the L.A. Lakers retired jersey #34. Who was the
> all-star former Laker who wore it?

Shaquille O'Neal.

> * Game 9, Round 2 - Entertainment - Directors

> In each case, name the director of the movies listed.

> 1. "Hugo", "The Departed", "Gangs of New York".

Martin Scorsese. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 2. "Thank You for Smoking", "Juno", "Up in The Air".

Jason Reitman. 4 for Joshua.

> 3. "Apollo 13", "A Beautiful Mind", "Cinderella Man".

Ron Howard. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Pete.

> 4. "The Usual Suspects", "X-Men", "Superman Returns".

Brian Singer. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 5. "American Beauty", "Revolutionary Road", "Skyfall".

Sam Mendes. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 6. "Scarface", "The Untouchables", "Mission: Impossible".

Brian De Palma. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 7. "As Good As It Gets", "Terms of Endearment", "Broadcast News".

James L. Brooks. 4 for Joshua.

> 8. "The Virgin Suicides", "Lost in Translation", "Marie Antoinette".

Sofia Coppola. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Erland.

> 9. "My Own Private Idaho", "Good Will Hunting", "Finding Forrester".

Gus Van Sant. 4 for Joshua.

> 10. "The Princess Bride", "When Harry Met Sally", "The American
> President".

Rob Reiner. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> * Game 9, Round 3 - Geography - Waterfalls of the World

> 1. Which notable waterfall in South America can be found in Canaima
> National Park?

Angel Falls. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

"Jeopardy!" had a question on Tuesday asking for this waterfall.
Instead of naming the park, they gave the height (3,200 feet)
and the country and noted that, ironically, it descends from the
Devil's Mountain (Auyán-tepui) (which is a local name, whereas the
falls are named after an American pilot).

> 2. This fall, although neither the highest at 108 m (355 feet)
> nor the widest at 1,708 m (5,600 feet), is the largest in the
> world in terms of area of falling sheet (or area of the vertical
> drop). What is the name of this fall on the Zambezi River?

Victoria Falls. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, and Dan Tilque.

> 3. Located about 30 km (20 miles) west of Thunder Bay, this
> waterfall 39 m (128 feet) tall is sometimes known as the
> Niagara of the North. What is it called?

Kakabeka Falls.

> 4. This very voluminous waterfall, located on the border of Brazil
> and Argentina, is a wonder of the world. What's its name?

The variously spelled Iguazú/Iguaçu/Iguassu Falls. 4 for Dan Blum
and Erland.

> Please decode the rot13 for the questions #5-8 only after you have.
> finished with questions #1-4.

> 5. What is the tallest waterfall in United States? Its total drop
> over 3 plunges is 739 m or 2,425 feet. Its has the same name
> as the national park that surrounds it.

Yosemite Falls. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 6. At 979 m or 3,212 feet, Angel Falls in Venezuela is the world's
> tallest. Tugela Falls, the second tallest waterfall in the
> world, is only slightly shorter at 947 meters or 3,110 feet.
> What country is it in?

South Africa.

The rot13 was only so you wouldn't see this question before you
answered #1, but since rot13 doesn't disguise numbers, I thought
I'd better conceal which question I was concerned with.

> 7. At 350 m or 1,150 feet, Pissing Mare Falls is the tallest
> waterfall in eastern North America. In *which Canadian national
> park* would you find it?

Gros Morne (Newfoundland & Labrador; cf. Game 8, Round 8).

> 8. At a height of 84 m or 275 feet, this waterfall is the tallest
> in Quebec, and is located only 12 km from the center of Quebec
> City. What is it called, in English?

Montmorency Falls. 4 for Pete.

> 9. When Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote "The Adventure of the Final
> Problem", he chose the Reichenbach Falls as the place where
> Sherlock Holmes and professor Moriarty had their final fight.
> Holmes and Moriarty are fictional, we hear, but the Reichenbach
> Falls are real.... and located in what country?

Switzerland. 4 for everyone -- Dan Blum, Joshua, Erland, Pete,
and Dan Tilque.

> 10. According to the World Waterfall Database, *all 18* of the
> tallest waterfalls in Europe are in one country. Which one?

Norway. Wonderful place, it is. 4 for Dan Blum and Erland.
3 for Pete.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 9 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Ent Geo
Dan Blum 28 24 52
Joshua Kreitzer 40 8 48
Erland Sommarskog 4 20 24
Pete Gayde 4 15 19
Dan Tilque 0 16 16

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "...iterating it by hand is...
msb@vex.net | pretty badass." --Laura Taalman