Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCINO13 Game 8, Rounds 7-8: Shakespeare, CanUHWSes
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 05:19:12 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Tue, 13 Dec 2022 05:19 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-04-01,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Night Owls, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 8, Round 7 - Literature - Shakespeare

This round is on well-known lines from the plays of Shakespeare.
We give you the line, you name the *play*. Answers may repeat.

1. "All the world's a stage."
2. "Beware the Ides of March."
3. "Parting is such sweet sorrow."
4. "Now is the winter of our discontent."
5. "This above all: to thine own self be true."
6. "Cowards die many times before their deaths."
7. "How sharper than a serpent's tooth it is to have a thankless
child!"

8. "A plague on both your houses." (Or "a pox", depending on
the edition.)

9. "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are
dreamt of in your philosophy."

10. "'Be not afraid of greatness': 'twas well writ...
Some are born great... Some achieve greatness...
And some have greatness thrust upon them."

* Game 8, Round 8 - Canadiana Geography - UNESCO World Heritage Sites

"""At present""" there are close to 1,000 UNESCO World Heritage
Sites (hereafter UHWSs), of which """16""" are wholly or partly
in Canada. Here are 10 questions about some of those.

1. Among Canadian UHWSs is this national park which contains
a rare example of oceanic crust and mantle rock that has been
thrust onto land. Subsequent glaciation has left an impressive
landscape of fjords and waterfalls in this area. What is the
name of this national park?

2. The Joggins Fossil Cliffs -- sometimes referred to as the
Galapagos of the Coal Age -- contain some of the world's most
comprehensive collections of terrestrial fossils from the
Pennsylvanian Period, between 303 and 318 million years ago.
In which province are the Joggins Fossil Cliffs?

3. Located in the southwest corner of Alberta, Waterton Lakes
National Park is partnered with what adjacent US national park
to form a single UNESCO "international peace park"?

4. This canal is North America's best-preserved example of
slack-water technology and the only early-19th-century North
American canal to remain operational along its original line with
most its original structure intact. Name this Canadian UWHS.

5. What is the name of the UWHS in Alberta that was the site of
a major bison-hunting area, used by First Nations peoples for
nearly 6,000 years?

6. Dating from 1753, this Canadian UWHS is the best preserved
planned British colonial settlement in North America. This UWHS
is located in what small town?

7. This UWHS is also a national park and contains the only known
breeding ground of whooping cranes in the world; but the park is
named after another animal. What is this Canadian national park?

8. There are two categories of UHWSs: cultural and natural.
Established in 1978, the first Canadian cultural UWHS is what
archeological site in Newfoundland and Labrador?

9. Established in 1978, the first Canadian UWHS belonging to the
natural category, is this national park in the Territories,
famous for a major waterfall and canyons about 1,000 m (3,000
feet) deep. Which park?

10. Another UWHS that is shared by Canada and the US includes four
national or provincial parks: Wrangell - St. Elias and Glacier
Bay in the US, and Tatshenshini-Alsek and what national park
in Canada?

--
Mark Brader | "You have seen this incident, based on sworn
Toronto | testimony. Can you prove that it didn't happen?"

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 8, Rounds 7-8: Shakespeare, CanUHWSes

<tn9aff$rp1$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4383&group=rec.games.trivia#4383

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 07:43:43 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Tue, 13 Dec 2022 07:43 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 7 - Literature - Shakespeare

> 1. "All the world's a stage."

The Tempest

> 2. "Beware the Ides of March."

Julius Caesar

> 3. "Parting is such sweet sorrow."

Romeo & Juliet

> 4. "Now is the winter of our discontent."

Richard III

> 5. "This above all: to thine own self be true."

Hamlet

> 6. "Cowards die many times before their deaths."

Macbeth

> 7. "How sharper than a serpent's tooth it is to have a thankless
> child!"

King Lear

> 8. "A plague on both your houses." (Or "a pox", depending on
> the edition.)

Romeo & Juliet

> 9. "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are
> dreamt of in your philosophy."

Hamlet

> 10. "'Be not afraid of greatness': 'twas well writ...
> Some are born great... Some achieve greatness...
> And some have greatness thrust upon them."

Julius Caesar

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Canadiana Geography - UNESCO World Heritage Sites

> 5. What is the name of the UWHS in Alberta that was the site of
> a major bison-hunting area, used by First Nations peoples for
> nearly 6,000 years?

Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump

> 8. There are two categories of UHWSs: cultural and natural.
> Established in 1978, the first Canadian cultural UWHS is what
> archeological site in Newfoundland and Labrador?

L'Anse aux Meadows

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 8, Rounds 7-8: Shakespeare, CanUHWSes

<tn9jfk$2g4qf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4384&group=rec.games.trivia#4384

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 02:17:24 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Tue, 13 Dec 2022 10:17 UTC

On 12/12/22 21:19, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 7 - Literature - Shakespeare
>
> This round is on well-known lines from the plays of Shakespeare.
> We give you the line, you name the *play*. Answers may repeat.
>
> 1. "All the world's a stage."

Hamlet

> 2. "Beware the Ides of March."

Julius Caesar

> 3. "Parting is such sweet sorrow."

Romeo and Juliet

> 4. "Now is the winter of our discontent."

Richard III

> 5. "This above all: to thine own self be true."

Hamlet

> 6. "Cowards die many times before their deaths."

MacBeth

> 7. "How sharper than a serpent's tooth it is to have a thankless
> child!"

King Lear

> 8. "A plague on both your houses." (Or "a pox", depending on
> the edition.)

Romeo and Juliet

> 9. "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are
> dreamt of in your philosophy."

Hamlet

> 10. "'Be not afraid of greatness': 'twas well writ...
> Some are born great... Some achieve greatness...
> And some have greatness thrust upon them."
>

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Canadiana Geography - UNESCO World Heritage Sites
>
> """At present""" there are close to 1,000 UNESCO World Heritage
> Sites (hereafter UHWSs), of which """16""" are wholly or partly
> in Canada. Here are 10 questions about some of those.
>
> 1. Among Canadian UHWSs is this national park which contains
> a rare example of oceanic crust and mantle rock that has been
> thrust onto land. Subsequent glaciation has left an impressive
> landscape of fjords and waterfalls in this area. What is the
> name of this national park?
>
> 2. The Joggins Fossil Cliffs -- sometimes referred to as the
> Galapagos of the Coal Age -- contain some of the world's most
> comprehensive collections of terrestrial fossils from the
> Pennsylvanian Period, between 303 and 318 million years ago.
> In which province are the Joggins Fossil Cliffs?
>
> 3. Located in the southwest corner of Alberta, Waterton Lakes
> National Park is partnered with what adjacent US national park
> to form a single UNESCO "international peace park"?

Glacier National Park

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 8, Rounds 7-8: Shakespeare, CanUHWSes

<bfe5e341-1bdd-4b6b-b6f8-b68a00edd583n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4385&group=rec.games.trivia#4385

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 20:22:58 -0800 (PST)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Wed, 14 Dec 2022 04:22 UTC

On Monday, December 12, 2022 at 11:19:16 PM UTC-6, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 7 - Literature - Shakespeare
>
> This round is on well-known lines from the plays of Shakespeare.
> We give you the line, you name the *play*. Answers may repeat.
>
> 1. "All the world's a stage."

"As You Like It"

> 2. "Beware the Ides of March."

"Julius Caesar"

> 3. "Parting is such sweet sorrow."

"Romeo and Juliet"

> 4. "Now is the winter of our discontent."

"Richard III"

> 5. "This above all: to thine own self be true."

"Hamlet"

> 6. "Cowards die many times before their deaths."

"Macbeth"

> 7. "How sharper than a serpent's tooth it is to have a thankless
> child!"

"King Lear"

> 8. "A plague on both your houses." (Or "a pox", depending on
> the edition.)

"Romeo and Juliet"

> 9. "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are
> dreamt of in your philosophy."

"Hamlet"

> 10. "'Be not afraid of greatness': 'twas well writ...
> Some are born great... Some achieve greatness...
> And some have greatness thrust upon them."

"Macbeth"

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Canadiana Geography - UNESCO World Heritage Sites
>
> """At present""" there are close to 1,000 UNESCO World Heritage
> Sites (hereafter UHWSs), of which """16""" are wholly or partly
> in Canada. Here are 10 questions about some of those.
>
> 3. Located in the southwest corner of Alberta, Waterton Lakes
> National Park is partnered with what adjacent US national park
> to form a single UNESCO "international peace park"?

Glacier National Park

> 8. There are two categories of UHWSs: cultural and natural.
> Established in 1978, the first Canadian cultural UWHS is what
> archeological site in Newfoundland and Labrador?

L'Anse aux Meadows

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 8, Rounds 7-8: Shakespeare, CanUHWSes

<tngmbl$10dl$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4386&group=rec.games.trivia#4386

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2022 20:49:26 -0600
 by: Pete Gayde - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 02:49 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-04-01,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Night Owls, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
> answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 8, Round 7 - Literature - Shakespeare
>
> This round is on well-known lines from the plays of Shakespeare.
> We give you the line, you name the *play*. Answers may repeat.
>
> 1. "All the world's a stage."

The Merchant of Venice

> 2. "Beware the Ides of March."

Julius Caesar

> 3. "Parting is such sweet sorrow."

Romeo and Juliet

> 4. "Now is the winter of our discontent."

Macbeth; King Lear

> 5. "This above all: to thine own self be true."

Macbeth; Hamlet

> 6. "Cowards die many times before their deaths."

Julius Caesar; Troilus and Cressida

> 7. "How sharper than a serpent's tooth it is to have a thankless
> child!"

Hamlet

> 8. "A plague on both your houses." (Or "a pox", depending on
> the edition.)

Romeo and Juliet

> 9. "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are
> dreamt of in your philosophy."

Hamlet

> 10. "'Be not afraid of greatness': 'twas well writ...
> Some are born great... Some achieve greatness...
> And some have greatness thrust upon them."

Henry V

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Canadiana Geography - UNESCO World Heritage Sites
>
> """At present""" there are close to 1,000 UNESCO World Heritage
> Sites (hereafter UHWSs), of which """16""" are wholly or partly
> in Canada. Here are 10 questions about some of those.
>
> 1. Among Canadian UHWSs is this national park which contains
> a rare example of oceanic crust and mantle rock that has been
> thrust onto land. Subsequent glaciation has left an impressive
> landscape of fjords and waterfalls in this area. What is the
> name of this national park?
>
> 2. The Joggins Fossil Cliffs -- sometimes referred to as the
> Galapagos of the Coal Age -- contain some of the world's most
> comprehensive collections of terrestrial fossils from the
> Pennsylvanian Period, between 303 and 318 million years ago.
> In which province are the Joggins Fossil Cliffs?

Saskatchwean; Manitoba

> 3. Located in the southwest corner of Alberta, Waterton Lakes
> National Park is partnered with what adjacent US national park
> to form a single UNESCO "international peace park"?

Glacier

> 4. This canal is North America's best-preserved example of
> slack-water technology and the only early-19th-century North
> American canal to remain operational along its original line with
> most its original structure intact. Name this Canadian UWHS.
>
> 5. What is the name of the UWHS in Alberta that was the site of
> a major bison-hunting area, used by First Nations peoples for
> nearly 6,000 years?
>
> 6. Dating from 1753, this Canadian UWHS is the best preserved
> planned British colonial settlement in North America. This UWHS
> is located in what small town?
>
> 7. This UWHS is also a national park and contains the only known
> breeding ground of whooping cranes in the world; but the park is
> named after another animal. What is this Canadian national park?
>
> 8. There are two categories of UHWSs: cultural and natural.
> Established in 1978, the first Canadian cultural UWHS is what
> archeological site in Newfoundland and Labrador?
>
> 9. Established in 1978, the first Canadian UWHS belonging to the
> natural category, is this national park in the Territories,
> famous for a major waterfall and canyons about 1,000 m (3,000
> feet) deep. Which park?
>
> 10. Another UWHS that is shared by Canada and the US includes four
> national or provincial parks: Wrangell - St. Elias and Glacier
> Bay in the US, and Tatshenshini-Alsek and what national park
> in Canada?

Pete Gayde

RQFTCINO13 Game 8, Rounds 7-8 answers: Shakespeare, CanUHWSes

<y4KdnRFeYLNZ4gH-nZ2dnZfqn_GdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4387&group=rec.games.trivia#4387

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCINO13 Game 8, Rounds 7-8 answers: Shakespeare, CanUHWSes
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 14:25:08 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 14:25 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-04-01,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2022-09-09 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 8, Round 7 - Literature - Shakespeare

> This round is on well-known lines from the plays of Shakespeare.
> We give you the line, you name the *play*. Answers may repeat.

> 1. "All the world's a stage."

"As You Like It" (Jaques; Act II, Scene VII). 4 for Joshua.

> 2. "Beware the Ides of March."

"Julius Caesar" (the soothsayer; Act I, Scene II). 4 for everyone --
Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Joshua, and Pete.

> 3. "Parting is such sweet sorrow."

"Romeo and Juliet" (Juliet, Act II, Scene II). 4 for everyone.

> 4. "Now is the winter of our discontent."

"Richard III" (Richard, Duke of Gloucester; Act I, Scene I, opening
line). 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Joshua.

> 5. "This above all: to thine own self be true."

"Hamlet" (Polonius; Act I, Scene III). 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque,
and Joshua. 2 for Pete.

> 6. "Cowards die many times before their deaths."

"Julius Caesar" (Caesar; Act II, Scene II). 3 for Pete.

> 7. "How sharper than a serpent's tooth it is to have a thankless
> child!"

"King Lear" (Lear; Act I, Scene IV). 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque,
and Joshua.

> 8. "A plague on both your houses." (Or "a pox", depending on
> the edition.)

"Romeo and Juliet" (Mercutio; Act III, Scene I). 4 for everyone.

> 9. "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are
> dreamt of in your philosophy."

"Hamlet" (Hamlet; Act I, Scene V). 4 for everyone.

> 10. "'Be not afraid of greatness': 'twas well writ...
> Some are born great... Some achieve greatness...
> And some have greatness thrust upon them."

"Twelfth Night" (Malvolio; Act III, Scene IV).

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Canadiana Geography - UNESCO World Heritage Sites

> """At present""" there are close to 1,000 UNESCO World Heritage
> Sites (hereafter UHWSs), of which """16""" are wholly or partly
> in Canada. Here are 10 questions about some of those.

As of mid-2022 when I checked this round for possible updating,
there are now 1,154 UHWSs altogether, of which 20 are wholly or
partly in Canada. Nothing affecting the round has changed.

> 1. Among Canadian UHWSs is this national park which contains
> a rare example of oceanic crust and mantle rock that has been
> thrust onto land. Subsequent glaciation has left an impressive
> landscape of fjords and waterfalls in this area. What is the
> name of this national park?

Gros Morne (Newfoundland & Labrador).

> 2. The Joggins Fossil Cliffs -- sometimes referred to as the
> Galapagos of the Coal Age -- contain some of the world's most
> comprehensive collections of terrestrial fossils from the
> Pennsylvanian Period, between 303 and 318 million years ago.
> In which province are the Joggins Fossil Cliffs?

Nova Scotia. I never heard of them either.

> 3. Located in the southwest corner of Alberta, Waterton Lakes
> National Park is partnered with what adjacent US national park
> to form a single UNESCO "international peace park"?

Glacier National Park (Montana). 4 for Dan Tilque, Joshua, and Pete.

> 4. This canal is North America's best-preserved example of
> slack-water technology and the only early-19th-century North
> American canal to remain operational along its original line with
> most its original structure intact. Name this Canadian UWHS.

Rideau Canal (Ottawa-Kingston, Ontario).

> 5. What is the name of the UWHS in Alberta that was the site of
> a major bison-hunting area, used by First Nations peoples for
> nearly 6,000 years?

Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump. (They hunted them by herding them
into falling down a cliff.) 4 for Dan Blum and Dan Tilque.

> 6. Dating from 1753, this Canadian UWHS is the best preserved
> planned British colonial settlement in North America. This UWHS
> is located in what small town?

Lunenburg (Nova Scotia).

> 7. This UWHS is also a national park and contains the only known
> breeding ground of whooping cranes in the world; but the park is
> named after another animal. What is this Canadian national park?

Wood Buffalo (Alberta). (Not bison.)

> 8. There are two categories of UHWSs: cultural and natural.
> Established in 1978, the first Canadian cultural UWHS is what
> archeological site in Newfoundland and Labrador?

L'Anse aux Meadows. 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Joshua.

> 9. Established in 1978, the first Canadian UWHS belonging to the
> natural category, is this national park in the Territories,
> famous for a major waterfall and canyons about 1,000 m (3,000
> feet) deep. Which park?

Nahanni (Northwest Territories).

> 10. Another UWHS that is shared by Canada and the US includes four
> national or provincial parks: Wrangell - St. Elias and Glacier
> Bay in the US, and Tatshenshini-Alsek and what national park
> in Canada?

Kluane (Yukon).

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 8 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Ent Sci His Spo Lit Can FOUR
Joshua Kreitzer 36 32 40 16 32 8 140
Pete Gayde 36 6 36 9 21 4 102
Dan Blum 11 28 32 2 28 8 99
Dan Tilque 4 40 16 2 28 12 96
Erland Sommarskog 16 38 8 8 -- -- 70

--
Mark Brader | "...most people who borrow over $1,000,000 from a bank
Toronto | would at least remember the name of the bank."