What this country needs is a dime that will buy a good five-cent bagel.

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCINO13 Game 8, Rounds 4,6 answers: trials, tennis

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCINO13 Game 8, Rounds 4,6: trials, tennisMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 8, Rounds 4,6: trials, tennisJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 8, Rounds 4,6: trials, tennisDan Tilque
+- Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 8, Rounds 4,6: trials, tennisDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 8, Rounds 4,6: trials, tennisErland Sommarskog
+- Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 8, Rounds 4,6: trials, tennisPete Gayde
`- RQFTCINO13 Game 8, Rounds 4,6 answers: trials, tennisMark Brader

1
RQFTCINO13 Game 8, Rounds 4,6: trials, tennis

<V-CdneTO4bd0hwn-nZ2dnZfqnPednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4374&group=rec.games.trivia#4374

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCINO13 Game 8, Rounds 4,6: trials, tennis
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2022 05:36:41 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 10 Dec 2022 05:36 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-04-01,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Night Owls, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 8, Round 4 - History - Trials of the Century

Each one of the 20th-century trials that this round is about was
described as "the trial of the century".

1. The child heiress of a railroad fortune was the subject of
a sensational custody trial in 1934. What was her name?

2. These two men planned the "perfect crime", kidnapping and
murdering 14-year-old Bobby Franks. They were convicted in
a lurid trial, also in 1934. One was Nathan Leopold; what was
his partner's name?

3. This former SS and Gestapo officer, known as the "Butcher of
Lyon", was extradited from Bolivia in 1984 and tried in 1987.
He was found guilty and sentenced to life imprisonment, and
died in prison 4 years later. What was his name?

4. In Tennessee in 1926, a teacher was tried for teaching evolution,
which was prohibited there at the time. Name the defendant.

5. The 1935 trial following the kidnapping and murder of Charles
Lindbergh's 20-month-old son was called by journalist
H.L. Mencken "the greatest story since the Resurrection".
Who was tried for the kidnapping and murder?

6. In late 1945 and 1946 the surviving top Nazi leadership were
tried for war crimes and crimes against humanity, establishing
the principles of these offenses. The trials are referred to
by the name of the city where they were held. Which city?

7. This leader of a Slavic nation was extradited and tried by
an international tribunal in the Hague in 2002 for war crimes.
He died in 2006 just as the trial was winding up. Who was he?

8. The 20th century's first "trial of the century" took place in
1907, when Harry Thaw, a millionaire's son whose lifestyle had
prompted the coining of the term "playboy", killed the lover
of his wife, model and chorus girl Evelyn Nesbit. The victim
was a famous architect: who was he?

9. The murder trial of O.J. Simpson in 1995 gripped the attention
of the world. Simpson was accused of murdering his ex-wife
Nicole and her friend. Who was this other murder victim?

10. Ferdinando Nicola Sacco was one of two Italian immigrants
executed for murder in 1927 in Massachusetts. They were
suspected anarchists who were convicted for murdering two men
during a robbery attempt of a shoe factory. Who was Sacco's
co-defendant?

* Game 8, Round 6 - Sports - Tennis Champions

This is a round on tennis champions in the men's and women's
professional tours. Answers may repeat. *Note*: I am not
going to attempt to update this round. Only the answers that
were correct in 2013 will be accepted.

1. Who has won the most career singles titles in professional
men's tennis, at 109?

2. Five professional tennis players (3 women and 2 men) have won
the Grand Slam in singles: winning all four majors in the same
calendar year. Two of them are Don Budge in 1938 and Maureen
Connolly in 1953. Name any one of the other three.

3. Which female professional tennis player has won more French
Open singles titles than anyone else?

4. Who has won the most career singles titles in professional
women's tennis at 167?

5. Who is the only men's professional tennis player to win at
least 90% of his matches in a given year, in four separate years?

6. Who is the only woman to win all four Grand Slam singles titles
at least 4 times each?

7. Who was the first tennis player from an Iron Curtain country
to win the US Open in 1972?

8. In 1999, who became only the fifth man to win all four major
tournaments -- completing a "career Grand Slam"?

9. In 1985, what 17-year old tennis phenomenon beat Kevin Curren
to win his first Wimbledon title?

10. In 1997, at age 16, who became one of the youngest women
singles champions ever at Wimbledon?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "If gravity stops working, a power cut is
msb@vex.net | the least of your problems." -- David Bell

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 8, Rounds 4,6: trials, tennis

<9f8d81ef-274b-4204-917c-8066b15a1053n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4375&group=rec.games.trivia#4375

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2022 22:43:42 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 8, Rounds 4,6: trials, tennis
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Sat, 10 Dec 2022 06:43 UTC

On Friday, December 9, 2022 at 11:36:47 PM UTC-6, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 4 - History - Trials of the Century
>
> Each one of the 20th-century trials that this round is about was
> described as "the trial of the century".
>
> 1. The child heiress of a railroad fortune was the subject of
> a sensational custody trial in 1934. What was her name?

Gloria Vanderbilt
> 2. These two men planned the "perfect crime", kidnapping and
> murdering 14-year-old Bobby Franks. They were convicted in
> a lurid trial, also in 1934. One was Nathan Leopold; what was
> his partner's name?

Loeb

> 3. This former SS and Gestapo officer, known as the "Butcher of
> Lyon", was extradited from Bolivia in 1984 and tried in 1987.
> He was found guilty and sentenced to life imprisonment, and
> died in prison 4 years later. What was his name?

Klaus Barbie

> 4. In Tennessee in 1926, a teacher was tried for teaching evolution,
> which was prohibited there at the time. Name the defendant.

Scopes

> 5. The 1935 trial following the kidnapping and murder of Charles
> Lindbergh's 20-month-old son was called by journalist
> H.L. Mencken "the greatest story since the Resurrection".
> Who was tried for the kidnapping and murder?

Hauptmann

> 6. In late 1945 and 1946 the surviving top Nazi leadership were
> tried for war crimes and crimes against humanity, establishing
> the principles of these offenses. The trials are referred to
> by the name of the city where they were held. Which city?

Nuremburg

> 7. This leader of a Slavic nation was extradited and tried by
> an international tribunal in the Hague in 2002 for war crimes.
> He died in 2006 just as the trial was winding up. Who was he?

Milosevic

> 8. The 20th century's first "trial of the century" took place in
> 1907, when Harry Thaw, a millionaire's son whose lifestyle had
> prompted the coining of the term "playboy", killed the lover
> of his wife, model and chorus girl Evelyn Nesbit. The victim
> was a famous architect: who was he?

White

> 9. The murder trial of O.J. Simpson in 1995 gripped the attention
> of the world. Simpson was accused of murdering his ex-wife
> Nicole and her friend. Who was this other murder victim?

Goldman

> 10. Ferdinando Nicola Sacco was one of two Italian immigrants
> executed for murder in 1927 in Massachusetts. They were
> suspected anarchists who were convicted for murdering two men
> during a robbery attempt of a shoe factory. Who was Sacco's
> co-defendant?

Vanzetti

> * Game 8, Round 6 - Sports - Tennis Champions
>
> This is a round on tennis champions in the men's and women's
> professional tours.

> 2. Five professional tennis players (3 women and 2 men) have won
> the Grand Slam in singles: winning all four majors in the same
> calendar year. Two of them are Don Budge in 1938 and Maureen
> Connolly in 1953. Name any one of the other three.

Steffi Graf

> 4. Who has won the most career singles titles in professional
> women's tennis at 167?

Navratilova

> 6. Who is the only woman to win all four Grand Slam singles titles
> at least 4 times each?

Navratilova

> 7. Who was the first tennis player from an Iron Curtain country
> to win the US Open in 1972?

Lendl; Navratilova

> 9. In 1985, what 17-year old tennis phenomenon beat Kevin Curren
> to win his first Wimbledon title?

Becker
> 10. In 1997, at age 16, who became one of the youngest women
> singles champions ever at Wimbledon?

Hingis

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 8, Rounds 4,6: trials, tennis

<tn1nm5$1kn5g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4376&group=rec.games.trivia#4376

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2022 02:40:05 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Sat, 10 Dec 2022 10:40 UTC

On 12/9/22 21:36, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 4 - History - Trials of the Century
>
> Each one of the 20th-century trials that this round is about was
> described as "the trial of the century".
>
> 1. The child heiress of a railroad fortune was the subject of
> a sensational custody trial in 1934. What was her name?
>
> 2. These two men planned the "perfect crime", kidnapping and
> murdering 14-year-old Bobby Franks. They were convicted in
> a lurid trial, also in 1934. One was Nathan Leopold; what was
> his partner's name?
>
> 3. This former SS and Gestapo officer, known as the "Butcher of
> Lyon", was extradited from Bolivia in 1984 and tried in 1987.
> He was found guilty and sentenced to life imprisonment, and
> died in prison 4 years later. What was his name?
>
> 4. In Tennessee in 1926, a teacher was tried for teaching evolution,
> which was prohibited there at the time. Name the defendant.

Scopes

> 5. The 1935 trial following the kidnapping and murder of Charles
> Lindbergh's 20-month-old son was called by journalist
> H.L. Mencken "the greatest story since the Resurrection".
> Who was tried for the kidnapping and murder?
>
> 6. In late 1945 and 1946 the surviving top Nazi leadership were
> tried for war crimes and crimes against humanity, establishing
> the principles of these offenses. The trials are referred to
> by the name of the city where they were held. Which city?

Nuremburg

> 7. This leader of a Slavic nation was extradited and tried by
> an international tribunal in the Hague in 2002 for war crimes.
> He died in 2006 just as the trial was winding up. Who was he?
>
> 8. The 20th century's first "trial of the century" took place in
> 1907, when Harry Thaw, a millionaire's son whose lifestyle had
> prompted the coining of the term "playboy", killed the lover
> of his wife, model and chorus girl Evelyn Nesbit. The victim
> was a famous architect: who was he?
>
> 9. The murder trial of O.J. Simpson in 1995 gripped the attention
> of the world. Simpson was accused of murdering his ex-wife
> Nicole and her friend. Who was this other murder victim?

Goldman

> 10. Ferdinando Nicola Sacco was one of two Italian immigrants
> executed for murder in 1927 in Massachusetts. They were
> suspected anarchists who were convicted for murdering two men
> during a robbery attempt of a shoe factory. Who was Sacco's
> co-defendant?

Vanzetti

> * Game 8, Round 6 - Sports - Tennis Champions
>
> This is a round on tennis champions in the men's and women's
> professional tours. Answers may repeat. *Note*: I am not
> going to attempt to update this round. Only the answers that
> were correct in 2013 will be accepted.
>
> 1. Who has won the most career singles titles in professional
> men's tennis, at 109?

McEnroe; Connors

> 2. Five professional tennis players (3 women and 2 men) have won
> the Grand Slam in singles: winning all four majors in the same
> calendar year. Two of them are Don Budge in 1938 and Maureen
> Connolly in 1953. Name any one of the other three.
>
> 3. Which female professional tennis player has won more French
> Open singles titles than anyone else?

Serena Williams

> 4. Who has won the most career singles titles in professional
> women's tennis at 167?

Serena Williams

> 5. Who is the only men's professional tennis player to win at
> least 90% of his matches in a given year, in four separate years?

Connors; Borg

> 6. Who is the only woman to win all four Grand Slam singles titles
> at least 4 times each?
>
> 7. Who was the first tennis player from an Iron Curtain country
> to win the US Open in 1972?
>
> 8. In 1999, who became only the fifth man to win all four major
> tournaments -- completing a "career Grand Slam"?
>
> 9. In 1985, what 17-year old tennis phenomenon beat Kevin Curren
> to win his first Wimbledon title?

McEnroe

> 10. In 1997, at age 16, who became one of the youngest women
> singles champions ever at Wimbledon?

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 8, Rounds 4,6: trials, tennis

<tn2b42$hek$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4377&group=rec.games.trivia#4377

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2022 16:11:46 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Sat, 10 Dec 2022 16:11 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 4 - History - Trials of the Century

> 2. These two men planned the "perfect crime", kidnapping and
> murdering 14-year-old Bobby Franks. They were convicted in
> a lurid trial, also in 1934. One was Nathan Leopold; what was
> his partner's name?

Loeb

> 3. This former SS and Gestapo officer, known as the "Butcher of
> Lyon", was extradited from Bolivia in 1984 and tried in 1987.
> He was found guilty and sentenced to life imprisonment, and
> died in prison 4 years later. What was his name?

Barbie

> 4. In Tennessee in 1926, a teacher was tried for teaching evolution,
> which was prohibited there at the time. Name the defendant.

Scopes

> 5. The 1935 trial following the kidnapping and murder of Charles
> Lindbergh's 20-month-old son was called by journalist
> H.L. Mencken "the greatest story since the Resurrection".
> Who was tried for the kidnapping and murder?

Hauptmann

> 6. In late 1945 and 1946 the surviving top Nazi leadership were
> tried for war crimes and crimes against humanity, establishing
> the principles of these offenses. The trials are referred to
> by the name of the city where they were held. Which city?

Nuremberg

> 7. This leader of a Slavic nation was extradited and tried by
> an international tribunal in the Hague in 2002 for war crimes.
> He died in 2006 just as the trial was winding up. Who was he?

Milosevic

> 8. The 20th century's first "trial of the century" took place in
> 1907, when Harry Thaw, a millionaire's son whose lifestyle had
> prompted the coining of the term "playboy", killed the lover
> of his wife, model and chorus girl Evelyn Nesbit. The victim
> was a famous architect: who was he?

White

> 10. Ferdinando Nicola Sacco was one of two Italian immigrants
> executed for murder in 1927 in Massachusetts. They were
> suspected anarchists who were convicted for murdering two men
> during a robbery attempt of a shoe factory. Who was Sacco's
> co-defendant?

Vanzetti

> * Game 8, Round 6 - Sports - Tennis Champions

> 1. Who has won the most career singles titles in professional
> men's tennis, at 109?

Lendl; Borg

> 2. Five professional tennis players (3 women and 2 men) have won
> the Grand Slam in singles: winning all four majors in the same
> calendar year. Two of them are Don Budge in 1938 and Maureen
> Connolly in 1953. Name any one of the other three.

Navratilova; Ashe

> 3. Which female professional tennis player has won more French
> Open singles titles than anyone else?

Serena Williams; Navratilova

> 4. Who has won the most career singles titles in professional
> women's tennis at 167?

Serena Williams; King

> 5. Who is the only men's professional tennis player to win at
> least 90% of his matches in a given year, in four separate years?

Connors; Lendl

> 6. Who is the only woman to win all four Grand Slam singles titles
> at least 4 times each?

Serena Williams; King

> 7. Who was the first tennis player from an Iron Curtain country
> to win the US Open in 1972?

Navratilova

> 8. In 1999, who became only the fifth man to win all four major
> tournaments -- completing a "career Grand Slam"?

Chang

> 9. In 1985, what 17-year old tennis phenomenon beat Kevin Curren
> to win his first Wimbledon title?

Chang

> 10. In 1997, at age 16, who became one of the youngest women
> singles champions ever at Wimbledon?

Graf

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 8, Rounds 4,6: trials, tennis

<XnsAF6A77FB449Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4379&group=rec.games.trivia#4379

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2022 11:47:40 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Sun, 11 Dec 2022 10:47 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 8, Round 4 - History - Trials of the Century
>
> 3. This former SS and Gestapo officer, known as the "Butcher of
> Lyon", was extradited from Bolivia in 1984 and tried in 1987.
> He was found guilty and sentenced to life imprisonment, and
> died in prison 4 years later. What was his name?

Einzelmann
> 6. In late 1945 and 1946 the surviving top Nazi leadership were
> tried for war crimes and crimes against humanity, establishing
> the principles of these offenses. The trials are referred to
> by the name of the city where they were held. Which city?

Nürnberg

> 7. This leader of a Slavic nation was extradited and tried by
> an international tribunal in the Hague in 2002 for war crimes.
> He died in 2006 just as the trial was winding up. Who was he?

Slobodan Milosevic
> * Game 8, Round 6 - Sports - Tennis Champions
>
> 1. Who has won the most career singles titles in professional
> men's tennis, at 109?

Ivan Lendl
> 2. Five professional tennis players (3 women and 2 men) have won
> the Grand Slam in singles: winning all four majors in the same
> calendar year. Two of them are Don Budge in 1938 and Maureen
> Connolly in 1953. Name any one of the other three.

Rod Laver
> 3. Which female professional tennis player has won more French
> Open singles titles than anyone else?

Steffi Graf
> 4. Who has won the most career singles titles in professional
> women's tennis at 167?

Billie Jean King

> 5. Who is the only men's professional tennis player to win at
> least 90% of his matches in a given year, in four separate years?

Roger Federer
> 6. Who is the only woman to win all four Grand Slam singles titles
> at least 4 times each?

Sabina Williams
> 7. Who was the first tennis player from an Iron Curtain country
> to win the US Open in 1972?

Ivan Lendl
> 8. In 1999, who became only the fifth man to win all four major
> tournaments -- completing a "career Grand Slam"?

Pete Sampras
> 9. In 1985, what 17-year old tennis phenomenon beat Kevin Curren
> to win his first Wimbledon title?

Boris Becker
> 10. In 1997, at age 16, who became one of the youngest women
> singles champions ever at Wimbledon?
Steffi Graf

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 8, Rounds 4,6: trials, tennis

<tn5ki5$gln$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4380&group=rec.games.trivia#4380

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2022 16:11:18 -0600
 by: Pete Gayde - Sun, 11 Dec 2022 22:11 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-04-01,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Night Owls, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
> answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 8, Round 4 - History - Trials of the Century
>
> Each one of the 20th-century trials that this round is about was
> described as "the trial of the century".
>
> 1. The child heiress of a railroad fortune was the subject of
> a sensational custody trial in 1934. What was her name?

Gloria Vanderbilt

> 2. These two men planned the "perfect crime", kidnapping and
> murdering 14-year-old Bobby Franks. They were convicted in
> a lurid trial, also in 1934. One was Nathan Leopold; what was
> his partner's name?

Loeb

> 3. This former SS and Gestapo officer, known as the "Butcher of
> Lyon", was extradited from Bolivia in 1984 and tried in 1987.
> He was found guilty and sentenced to life imprisonment, and
> died in prison 4 years later. What was his name?

Barbie

> 4. In Tennessee in 1926, a teacher was tried for teaching evolution,
> which was prohibited there at the time. Name the defendant.

Scopes

> 5. The 1935 trial following the kidnapping and murder of Charles
> Lindbergh's 20-month-old son was called by journalist
> H.L. Mencken "the greatest story since the Resurrection".
> Who was tried for the kidnapping and murder?

Hauptman

> 6. In late 1945 and 1946 the surviving top Nazi leadership were
> tried for war crimes and crimes against humanity, establishing
> the principles of these offenses. The trials are referred to
> by the name of the city where they were held. Which city?

Nuremberg

> 7. This leader of a Slavic nation was extradited and tried by
> an international tribunal in the Hague in 2002 for war crimes.
> He died in 2006 just as the trial was winding up. Who was he?

Milosevic

> 8. The 20th century's first "trial of the century" took place in
> 1907, when Harry Thaw, a millionaire's son whose lifestyle had
> prompted the coining of the term "playboy", killed the lover
> of his wife, model and chorus girl Evelyn Nesbit. The victim
> was a famous architect: who was he?

Gropius

> 9. The murder trial of O.J. Simpson in 1995 gripped the attention
> of the world. Simpson was accused of murdering his ex-wife
> Nicole and her friend. Who was this other murder victim?

Goodman

> 10. Ferdinando Nicola Sacco was one of two Italian immigrants
> executed for murder in 1927 in Massachusetts. They were
> suspected anarchists who were convicted for murdering two men
> during a robbery attempt of a shoe factory. Who was Sacco's
> co-defendant?

Vanzetti

> * Game 8, Round 6 - Sports - Tennis Champions
>
> This is a round on tennis champions in the men's and women's
> professional tours. Answers may repeat. *Note*: I am not
> going to attempt to update this round. Only the answers that
> were correct in 2013 will be accepted.
>
> 1. Who has won the most career singles titles in professional
> men's tennis, at 109?

Sampras; Laver

> 2. Five professional tennis players (3 women and 2 men) have won
> the Grand Slam in singles: winning all four majors in the same
> calendar year. Two of them are Don Budge in 1938 and Maureen
> Connolly in 1953. Name any one of the other three.

Rod Laver

> 3. Which female professional tennis player has won more French
> Open singles titles than anyone else?

Navratilova; Court

> 4. Who has won the most career singles titles in professional
> women's tennis at 167?

Court; Navratilova

> 5. Who is the only men's professional tennis player to win at
> least 90% of his matches in a given year, in four separate years?

Borg; Laver

> 6. Who is the only woman to win all four Grand Slam singles titles
> at least 4 times each?

Court; Navratilova

> 7. Who was the first tennis player from an Iron Curtain country
> to win the US Open in 1972?

Korda

> 8. In 1999, who became only the fifth man to win all four major
> tournaments -- completing a "career Grand Slam"?

Agassi; Lendl

> 9. In 1985, what 17-year old tennis phenomenon beat Kevin Curren
> to win his first Wimbledon title?

Borg

> 10. In 1997, at age 16, who became one of the youngest women
> singles champions ever at Wimbledon?

Austin

Pete Gayde

RQFTCINO13 Game 8, Rounds 4,6 answers: trials, tennis

<2F2dnbxvOod9lwX-nZ2dnZfqn_WdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4381&group=rec.games.trivia#4381

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCINO13 Game 8, Rounds 4,6 answers: trials, tennis
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 05:17:20 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Tue, 13 Dec 2022 05:17 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-04-01,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2022-09-09 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 8, Round 4 - History - Trials of the Century

> Each one of the 20th-century trials that this round is about was
> described as "the trial of the century".

> 1. The child heiress of a railroad fortune was the subject of
> a sensational custody trial in 1934. What was her name?

Gloria Vanderbilt. 4 for Joshua and Pete.

Gloria was 10 at the time. Custody of her was assigned to her aunt,
Gertrude Whitney, in place of her mother, also named Gloria.

> 2. These two men planned the "perfect crime", kidnapping and
> murdering 14-year-old Bobby Franks. They were convicted in
> a lurid trial, also in 1934. One was Nathan Leopold; what was
> his partner's name?

Richard Loeb. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Pete.

The movie "Compulsion" (1959) was based on this trial. Other movies
inspired by the case have included "Rope" (1948), "Swoon" (1992),
and "Murder by Numbers" (2002).

> 3. This former SS and Gestapo officer, known as the "Butcher of
> Lyon", was extradited from Bolivia in 1984 and tried in 1987.
> He was found guilty and sentenced to life imprisonment, and
> died in prison 4 years later. What was his name?

Klaus Barbie. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 4. In Tennessee in 1926, a teacher was tried for teaching evolution,
> which was prohibited there at the time. Name the defendant.

John Scopes. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Pete.

He was convicted and fined $100. On appeal, the law was upheld as
constitutional, but Scopes was acquitted on a procedural technicality.

The play and 1960 movie "Inherit the Wind" are based on the case.

> 5. The 1935 trial following the kidnapping and murder of Charles
> Lindbergh's 20-month-old son was called by journalist
> H.L. Mencken "the greatest story since the Resurrection".
> Who was tried for the kidnapping and murder?

Bruno Richard Hauptmann. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Pete.

He was convicted and executed, but some feel the verdict was wrong.

In the novel and movies (1974 and 2017) "Murder on the Orient
Express", the (fictional) crime that provided the backstory for the
(fictional) title murder was based on this case.

> 6. In late 1945 and 1946 the surviving top Nazi leadership were
> tried for war crimes and crimes against humanity, establishing
> the principles of these offenses. The trials are referred to
> by the name of the city where they were held. Which city?

Nuremberg (or in German, Nürnberg). 4 for everyone -- Joshua,
Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Erland, and Pete.

The movie "Judgment at Nuremberg" (1961) was based on one of these
trials.

> 7. This leader of a Slavic nation was extradited and tried by
> an international tribunal in the Hague in 2002 for war crimes.
> He died in 2006 just as the trial was winding up. Who was he?

Slobodan Milosevic. (Yugoslavia.) 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Erland,
and Pete.

> 8. The 20th century's first "trial of the century" took place in
> 1907, when Harry Thaw, a millionaire's son whose lifestyle had
> prompted the coining of the term "playboy", killed the lover
> of his wife, model and chorus girl Evelyn Nesbit. The victim
> was a famous architect: who was he?

Stanford White. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

Thaw's first trial produced a hung jury; on retrial he was found
to have been insane, and spent some time in an asylum.

This murder forms a major plot element in the novel and 1981 movie
"Ragtime".

> 9. The murder trial of O.J. Simpson in 1995 gripped the attention
> of the world. Simpson was accused of murdering his ex-wife
> Nicole and her friend. Who was this other murder victim?

Ronald Goldman. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

Simpson was acquitted, but later found civilly liable (a verdict
that requires a lower burden of proof).

> 10. Ferdinando Nicola Sacco was one of two Italian immigrants
> executed for murder in 1927 in Massachusetts. They were
> suspected anarchists who were convicted for murdering two men
> during a robbery attempt of a shoe factory. Who was Sacco's
> co-defendant?

Bartolomeo Vanzetti. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Pete.

The movie "Sacco & Vanzetti" (1971, also titled "Sacco & Vanzetti")
was based on this case.

> * Game 8, Round 6 - Sports - Tennis Champions

> This is a round on tennis champions in the men's and women's
> professional tours. Answers may repeat. *Note*: I am not
> going to attempt to update this round. Only the answers that
> were correct in 2013 will be accepted.

And this was the hardest round in the original game.

> 1. Who has won the most career singles titles in professional
> men's tennis, at 109?

Jimmy Connors. 2 for Dan Tilque.

> 2. Five professional tennis players (3 women and 2 men) have won
> the Grand Slam in singles: winning all four majors in the same
> calendar year. Two of them are Don Budge in 1938 and Maureen
> Connolly in 1953. Name any one of the other three.

Rod Laver (1969), Margaret Smith Court (1970), Steffi Graf (1988).
4 for Joshua, Erland, and Pete.

> 3. Which female professional tennis player has won more French
> Open singles titles than anyone else?

Chris Evert (7 times from 1974 to 1986).

> 4. Who has won the most career singles titles in professional
> women's tennis at 167?

Martina Navratilova. 4 for Joshua. 2 for Pete.

> 5. Who is the only men's professional tennis player to win at
> least 90% of his matches in a given year, in four separate years?

Ivan Lendl. 2 for Dan Blum.

> 6. Who is the only woman to win all four Grand Slam singles titles
> at least 4 times each?

Steffi Graf.

> 7. Who was the first tennis player from an Iron Curtain country
> to win the US Open in 1972?

Ilie Nastase.

> 8. In 1999, who became only the fifth man to win all four major
> tournaments -- completing a "career Grand Slam"?

Andre Agassi. 3 for Pete.

> 9. In 1985, what 17-year old tennis phenomenon beat Kevin Curren
> to win his first Wimbledon title?

Boris Becker. 4 for Joshua and Erland.

> 10. In 1997, at age 16, who became one of the youngest women
> singles champions ever at Wimbledon?

Martina Hingis. 4 for Joshua.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 8 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Ent Sci His Spo
Joshua Kreitzer 36 32 40 16 124
Pete Gayde 36 6 36 9 87
Dan Blum 11 28 32 2 73
Erland Sommarskog 16 38 8 8 70
Dan Tilque 4 40 16 2 62

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "It's the almost correct solutions that
msb@vex.net are the most dangerous..." -- Dave Eisen