interests / rec.games.trivia / Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 8, Rounds 2-3 answers: rock and roll and elements

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCINO13 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: rock and roll and elementsMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: rock and roll and elementsDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: rock and roll and elementsErland Sommarskog
+- Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: rock and roll and elementsPete Gayde
+- Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: rock and roll and elementsJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: rock and roll and elementsDan Tilque
`* RQFTCINO13 Game 8, Rounds 2-3 answers: rock and roll and elementsMark Brader
 `- Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 8, Rounds 2-3 answers: rock and roll and elementsErland Sommarskog

1
RQFTCINO13 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: rock and roll and elements

<HLScncCouPF62w3-nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4367&group=rec.games.trivia#4367

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCINO13 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: rock and roll and elements
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2022 07:55:19 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Wed, 7 Dec 2022 07:55 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-04-01,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Night Owls, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 8, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

Answer these 2013 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

2. Last week, Italy's highest court overturned the acquittal of
an American charged with a murder committed in 2007, and ordered
a retrial. What is the name of this American who now faces
retrial for murder in Italy?

2. What is the name of the portly British actor who died last
week at age 65? Although he won the Laurence Olivier Award and
the Tony Award for his roles in the play "The History Boys",
he is probably best known for playing the role of Vernon Dursley
in the Harry Potter movies. Who was this actor?

* Game 8, Round 2 - Entertainment - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame

The groundbreaking ceremony on Lake Erie, in Cleveland, for the
Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, wasn't until 1993, and the official
opening was in 1995. But the Hall began accepting inductees
in 1986. Questions #1-5 are about the charter members from 1986.

1. This charter member was such a hero to John Lennon that John
was quoted as saying, "If you tried to give rock and roll
another name, you might call it <answer 1>." Keith Richards
so admired the man that he went out of his way to create the
movie "Hail! Hail! Rock 'n' Roll" in his honor. Who are we
talking about?

2. Born in the Big Easy in 1928, this pianist/singer/songwriter
ultimately sold more records (65,000,000) than any '50s-era
rocker except Elvis Presley. He scored more hit records than
Chuck Berry, Little Richard, and Buddy Holly put together.
Who """is""" this incredible performer?

3. This man had more honorifics attached to his name than any
other performer in music history. He was variously tagged
"Soul Brother #1", "the Godfather of Soul", "the Hardest-Working
Man in Show Business", "Mr. Dynamite", and even "the Original
Disco Man." Who was this multiply-tagged man?

4. This duo rose to prominence on songs written for them by the
husband-and-wife team of Felice and Boudleaux Bryant. Their hits
include such timeless favorites as "Bye Bye Love" and "Wake Up
Little Susie". Who """are""" they?

5. This charter member, if he had lived, might have written more
rock-and-roll hits than all others... but who knows? "Oh Boy"
and "Maybe Baby" were just two of the hits he did have. Who was
this musician?

Questions #6-10... aren't.

6. When informed they were to be inducted into the Rock and Roll
Hall of Fame, this group decided not to show, sending a letter
instead. It opened poetically by saying that "compared to the
<answer 6>, Rock and Roll and that Hall of Fame is a piss stain".
What aristocracy-loving group are we talking about?

7. The frontman of this group decided not to show, reportedly
because he was opposed to the whole idea of a Rock and Roll Hall
of Fame. The rest of the band disagreed: they showed, and they
brought a cardboard cut-out of the singer onstage. He passed
away at 53 of a heart attack in 1995. Name the man or the group.

8. What great guitarist has been inducted """more times than anyone
else""" -- a total of 3 times?

9. This Canadian-born musician was inducted as a member of Buffalo
Springfield but """is""" more famous as a solo artist. Name him.

10. This man was inducted as the guitarist for the Faces, but
"""is""" more remembered for the supergroup he """now"""
plays for. Name him.

* Game 8, Round 3 - Science - Chemical Elements and their Uses

In each case, name the element being described.

1. This element is the lightest metal and the least dense of the
solid elements. Its biggest, yet less widely known, use is in
ceramics, especially ovenware; other major uses are in batteries
and lubricating greases. Salts of this metal can be used to
treat bipolar disorder.

2. Element 22 is a lightweight metal with a high ratio of tensile
strength to weight, and is resistant to corrosion and fatigue.
Hence alloys of this metal are used in aircraft, spacecraft,
warships, armor plating, and missiles. But 95% of the world's
production of this metal is converted to its oxide compound,
which is a bright white pigment used in paints, toothpastes,
paper, and plastics.

3. This element has the highest electrical conductivity of all
elements (at ordinary temperatures). As well as electronics, it
is also used in film photography, mirrors, jewelry, and coinage.

4. 55% of the world's production of element 30 is used for
galvanization, a process of coating steel to protect it
against corrosion.

5. Element 80 can often be found in thermometers, barometers,
and dental fillings; until about 1970 it was often found in
light switches.

6. Common uses of element 82 include weights, solders, bullets,
and radiation shields.

7. Non-metallic element 15 comes in numerous varieties or
allotropes: the red and white varieties are the most common.
It is often found in matches and fertilizers.

8. Element 17 has a name based on the ancient Greek word for
"pale green". This element is often used as a reagent, and it
and some of its compounds are often used as disinfectants.

9. Element 79 is the most malleable metal, is an excellent
electrical conductor, and chemically it is resistant to air,
moisture, and most corrosive agents. 90% of this element is
used for either jewelry, coinage, or investment.

10. Because element 50 is corrosion-resistant and has a low
toxicity, it is often plated on steel to be used as
food-container material.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "As long as that blue light is on, the
msb@vex.net computer is safe." -- Hot Millions

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: rock and roll and elements

<tmq5hr$fpc$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4368&group=rec.games.trivia#4368

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2022 13:47:39 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Wed, 7 Dec 2022 13:47 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

> Answer these 2013 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

> 2. Last week, Italy's highest court overturned the acquittal of
> an American charged with a murder committed in 2007, and ordered
> a retrial. What is the name of this American who now faces
> retrial for murder in Italy?

Knox

> * Game 8, Round 2 - Entertainment - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame

> 1. This charter member was such a hero to John Lennon that John
> was quoted as saying, "If you tried to give rock and roll
> another name, you might call it <answer 1>." Keith Richards
> so admired the man that he went out of his way to create the
> movie "Hail! Hail! Rock 'n' Roll" in his honor. Who are we
> talking about?

Berry; Haley

> 2. Born in the Big Easy in 1928, this pianist/singer/songwriter
> ultimately sold more records (65,000,000) than any '50s-era
> rocker except Elvis Presley. He scored more hit records than
> Chuck Berry, Little Richard, and Buddy Holly put together.
> Who """is""" this incredible performer?

Lewis

> 3. This man had more honorifics attached to his name than any
> other performer in music history. He was variously tagged
> "Soul Brother #1", "the Godfather of Soul", "the Hardest-Working
> Man in Show Business", "Mr. Dynamite", and even "the Original
> Disco Man." Who was this multiply-tagged man?

James Brown

> 4. This duo rose to prominence on songs written for them by the
> husband-and-wife team of Felice and Boudleaux Bryant. Their hits
> include such timeless favorites as "Bye Bye Love" and "Wake Up
> Little Susie". Who """are""" they?

Everly Brothers

> 8. What great guitarist has been inducted """more times than anyone
> else""" -- a total of 3 times?

Hendrix

> * Game 8, Round 3 - Science - Chemical Elements and their Uses

> 1. This element is the lightest metal and the least dense of the
> solid elements. Its biggest, yet less widely known, use is in
> ceramics, especially ovenware; other major uses are in batteries
> and lubricating greases. Salts of this metal can be used to
> treat bipolar disorder.

lithium

> 2. Element 22 is a lightweight metal with a high ratio of tensile
> strength to weight, and is resistant to corrosion and fatigue.
> Hence alloys of this metal are used in aircraft, spacecraft,
> warships, armor plating, and missiles. But 95% of the world's
> production of this metal is converted to its oxide compound,
> which is a bright white pigment used in paints, toothpastes,
> paper, and plastics.

titanium

> 3. This element has the highest electrical conductivity of all
> elements (at ordinary temperatures). As well as electronics, it
> is also used in film photography, mirrors, jewelry, and coinage.

silver

> 4. 55% of the world's production of element 30 is used for
> galvanization, a process of coating steel to protect it
> against corrosion.

zinc

> 5. Element 80 can often be found in thermometers, barometers,
> and dental fillings; until about 1970 it was often found in
> light switches.

mercury

> 6. Common uses of element 82 include weights, solders, bullets,
> and radiation shields.

uranium

> 7. Non-metallic element 15 comes in numerous varieties or
> allotropes: the red and white varieties are the most common.
> It is often found in matches and fertilizers.

phosporus

> 8. Element 17 has a name based on the ancient Greek word for
> "pale green". This element is often used as a reagent, and it
> and some of its compounds are often used as disinfectants.

iodine

> 9. Element 79 is the most malleable metal, is an excellent
> electrical conductor, and chemically it is resistant to air,
> moisture, and most corrosive agents. 90% of this element is
> used for either jewelry, coinage, or investment.

gold

> 10. Because element 50 is corrosion-resistant and has a low
> toxicity, it is often plated on steel to be used as
> food-container material.

aluminum

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: rock and roll and elements

<XnsAF66CF41CFF0FYazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4369&group=rec.games.trivia#4369

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2022 20:22:27 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Wed, 7 Dec 2022 19:22 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 8, Round 2 - Entertainment - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame
>
> 1. This charter member was such a hero to John Lennon that John
> was quoted as saying, "If you tried to give rock and roll
> another name, you might call it <answer 1>." Keith Richards
> so admired the man that he went out of his way to create the
> movie "Hail! Hail! Rock 'n' Roll" in his honor. Who are we
> talking about?

Chuck Berry
> 2. Born in the Big Easy in 1928, this pianist/singer/songwriter
> ultimately sold more records (65,000,000) than any '50s-era
> rocker except Elvis Presley. He scored more hit records than
> Chuck Berry, Little Richard, and Buddy Holly put together.
> Who """is""" this incredible performer?

Jerry Lee Lewis
> 3. This man had more honorifics attached to his name than any
> other performer in music history. He was variously tagged
> "Soul Brother #1", "the Godfather of Soul", "the Hardest-Working
> Man in Show Business", "Mr. Dynamite", and even "the Original
> Disco Man." Who was this multiply-tagged man?

Stevie Wonder
> 4. This duo rose to prominence on songs written for them by the
> husband-and-wife team of Felice and Boudleaux Bryant. Their hits
> include such timeless favorites as "Bye Bye Love" and "Wake Up
> Little Susie". Who """are""" they?

Simon & Garfunkel
> 6. When informed they were to be inducted into the Rock and Roll
> Hall of Fame, this group decided not to show, sending a letter
> instead. It opened poetically by saying that "compared to the
> <answer 6>, Rock and Roll and that Hall of Fame is a piss stain".
> What aristocracy-loving group are we talking about?

Mötley Crüe
> 8. What great guitarist has been inducted """more times than anyone
> else""" -- a total of 3 times?

Eric Clapton
> 9. This Canadian-born musician was inducted as a member of Buffalo
> Springfield but """is""" more famous as a solo artist. Name him.

Neil Young
> 10. This man was inducted as the guitarist for the Faces, but
> """is""" more remembered for the supergroup he """now"""
> plays for. Name him.

Ron Wood

> * Game 8, Round 3 - Science - Chemical Elements and their Uses
>
> In each case, name the element being described.
>
> 1. This element is the lightest metal and the least dense of the
> solid elements. Its biggest, yet less widely known, use is in
> ceramics, especially ovenware; other major uses are in batteries
> and lubricating greases. Salts of this metal can be used to
> treat bipolar disorder.

Lithium
> 2. Element 22 is a lightweight metal with a high ratio of tensile
> strength to weight, and is resistant to corrosion and fatigue.
> Hence alloys of this metal are used in aircraft, spacecraft,
> warships, armor plating, and missiles. But 95% of the world's
> production of this metal is converted to its oxide compound,
> which is a bright white pigment used in paints, toothpastes,
> paper, and plastics.

Titanium
> 3. This element has the highest electrical conductivity of all
> elements (at ordinary temperatures). As well as electronics, it
> is also used in film photography, mirrors, jewelry, and coinage.

Silver
> 4. 55% of the world's production of element 30 is used for
> galvanization, a process of coating steel to protect it
> against corrosion.

Zinc
> 5. Element 80 can often be found in thermometers, barometers,
> and dental fillings; until about 1970 it was often found in
> light switches.

Mercury
> 6. Common uses of element 82 include weights, solders, bullets,
> and radiation shields.

Lead
> 7. Non-metallic element 15 comes in numerous varieties or
> allotropes: the red and white varieties are the most common.
> It is often found in matches and fertilizers.

Phosphor
> 8. Element 17 has a name based on the ancient Greek word for
> "pale green". This element is often used as a reagent, and it
> and some of its compounds are often used as disinfectants.

Chlore
> 9. Element 79 is the most malleable metal, is an excellent
> electrical conductor, and chemically it is resistant to air,
> moisture, and most corrosive agents. 90% of this element is
> used for either jewelry, coinage, or investment.

Gold
> 10. Because element 50 is corrosion-resistant and has a low
> toxicity, it is often plated on steel to be used as
> food-container material.

Tin

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: rock and roll and elements

<tmrfc8$1kij$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4370&group=rec.games.trivia#4370

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2022 19:41:29 -0600
 by: Pete Gayde - Thu, 8 Dec 2022 01:41 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-04-01,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Night Owls, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
> answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 8, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 2013 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 2. Last week, Italy's highest court overturned the acquittal of
> an American charged with a murder committed in 2007, and ordered
> a retrial. What is the name of this American who now faces
> retrial for murder in Italy?

Knox

> 2. What is the name of the portly British actor who died last
> week at age 65? Although he won the Laurence Olivier Award and
> the Tony Award for his roles in the play "The History Boys",
> he is probably best known for playing the role of Vernon Dursley
> in the Harry Potter movies. Who was this actor?
>

> * Game 8, Round 2 - Entertainment - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame
>
> The groundbreaking ceremony on Lake Erie, in Cleveland, for the
> Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, wasn't until 1993, and the official
> opening was in 1995. But the Hall began accepting inductees
> in 1986. Questions #1-5 are about the charter members from 1986.
>
> 1. This charter member was such a hero to John Lennon that John
> was quoted as saying, "If you tried to give rock and roll
> another name, you might call it <answer 1>." Keith Richards
> so admired the man that he went out of his way to create the
> movie "Hail! Hail! Rock 'n' Roll" in his honor. Who are we
> talking about?

Chuck Berry

> 2. Born in the Big Easy in 1928, this pianist/singer/songwriter
> ultimately sold more records (65,000,000) than any '50s-era
> rocker except Elvis Presley. He scored more hit records than
> Chuck Berry, Little Richard, and Buddy Holly put together.
> Who """is""" this incredible performer?

Fats Domino

> 3. This man had more honorifics attached to his name than any
> other performer in music history. He was variously tagged
> "Soul Brother #1", "the Godfather of Soul", "the Hardest-Working
> Man in Show Business", "Mr. Dynamite", and even "the Original
> Disco Man." Who was this multiply-tagged man?

James Brown

> 4. This duo rose to prominence on songs written for them by the
> husband-and-wife team of Felice and Boudleaux Bryant. Their hits
> include such timeless favorites as "Bye Bye Love" and "Wake Up
> Little Susie". Who """are""" they?

Everly Brothers

> 5. This charter member, if he had lived, might have written more
> rock-and-roll hits than all others... but who knows? "Oh Boy"
> and "Maybe Baby" were just two of the hits he did have. Who was
> this musician?

Buddy Holly

> Questions #6-10... aren't.
>
> 6. When informed they were to be inducted into the Rock and Roll
> Hall of Fame, this group decided not to show, sending a letter
> instead. It opened poetically by saying that "compared to the
> <answer 6>, Rock and Roll and that Hall of Fame is a piss stain".
> What aristocracy-loving group are we talking about?

Sex Pistols

> 7. The frontman of this group decided not to show, reportedly
> because he was opposed to the whole idea of a Rock and Roll Hall
> of Fame. The rest of the band disagreed: they showed, and they
> brought a cardboard cut-out of the singer onstage. He passed
> away at 53 of a heart attack in 1995. Name the man or the group.

Queen

> 8. What great guitarist has been inducted """more times than anyone
> else""" -- a total of 3 times?

Eric Clapton

> 9. This Canadian-born musician was inducted as a member of Buffalo
> Springfield but """is""" more famous as a solo artist. Name him.

Neil Young

> 10. This man was inducted as the guitarist for the Faces, but
> """is""" more remembered for the supergroup he """now"""
> plays for. Name him.

Ron Wood

> * Game 8, Round 3 - Science - Chemical Elements and their Uses
>
> In each case, name the element being described.
>
> 1. This element is the lightest metal and the least dense of the
> solid elements. Its biggest, yet less widely known, use is in
> ceramics, especially ovenware; other major uses are in batteries
> and lubricating greases. Salts of this metal can be used to
> treat bipolar disorder.

Silicon

> 2. Element 22 is a lightweight metal with a high ratio of tensile
> strength to weight, and is resistant to corrosion and fatigue.
> Hence alloys of this metal are used in aircraft, spacecraft,
> warships, armor plating, and missiles. But 95% of the world's
> production of this metal is converted to its oxide compound,
> which is a bright white pigment used in paints, toothpastes,
> paper, and plastics.

Aluminum

> 3. This element has the highest electrical conductivity of all
> elements (at ordinary temperatures). As well as electronics, it
> is also used in film photography, mirrors, jewelry, and coinage.
>
> 4. 55% of the world's production of element 30 is used for
> galvanization, a process of coating steel to protect it
> against corrosion.
>
> 5. Element 80 can often be found in thermometers, barometers,
> and dental fillings; until about 1970 it was often found in
> light switches.

Mercury

> 6. Common uses of element 82 include weights, solders, bullets,
> and radiation shields.
>
> 7. Non-metallic element 15 comes in numerous varieties or
> allotropes: the red and white varieties are the most common.
> It is often found in matches and fertilizers.

Sulphur

> 8. Element 17 has a name based on the ancient Greek word for
> "pale green". This element is often used as a reagent, and it
> and some of its compounds are often used as disinfectants.
>
> 9. Element 79 is the most malleable metal, is an excellent
> electrical conductor, and chemically it is resistant to air,
> moisture, and most corrosive agents. 90% of this element is
> used for either jewelry, coinage, or investment.

Silver; Gold

> 10. Because element 50 is corrosion-resistant and has a low
> toxicity, it is often plated on steel to be used as
> food-container material.

Pete Gayde

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: rock and roll and elements

<e847bcec-cf79-4e74-b24e-72ac1c96e59en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4371&group=rec.games.trivia#4371

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2022 21:08:11 -0800 (PST)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Thu, 8 Dec 2022 05:08 UTC

On Wednesday, December 7, 2022 at 1:55:23 AM UTC-6, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> 2. Last week, Italy's highest court overturned the acquittal of
> an American charged with a murder committed in 2007, and ordered
> a retrial. What is the name of this American who now faces
> retrial for murder in Italy?

Amanda Knox

> * Game 8, Round 2 - Entertainment - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame
>
> 1. This charter member was such a hero to John Lennon that John
> was quoted as saying, "If you tried to give rock and roll
> another name, you might call it <answer 1>." Keith Richards
> so admired the man that he went out of his way to create the
> movie "Hail! Hail! Rock 'n' Roll" in his honor. Who are we
> talking about?

Chuck Berry

> 2. Born in the Big Easy in 1928, this pianist/singer/songwriter
> ultimately sold more records (65,000,000) than any '50s-era
> rocker except Elvis Presley. He scored more hit records than
> Chuck Berry, Little Richard, and Buddy Holly put together.
> Who """is""" this incredible performer?

Fats Domino

> 3. This man had more honorifics attached to his name than any
> other performer in music history. He was variously tagged
> "Soul Brother #1", "the Godfather of Soul", "the Hardest-Working
> Man in Show Business", "Mr. Dynamite", and even "the Original
> Disco Man." Who was this multiply-tagged man?

James Brown

> 4. This duo rose to prominence on songs written for them by the
> husband-and-wife team of Felice and Boudleaux Bryant. Their hits
> include such timeless favorites as "Bye Bye Love" and "Wake Up
> Little Susie". Who """are""" they?

the Everly Brothers

> 5. This charter member, if he had lived, might have written more
> rock-and-roll hits than all others... but who knows? "Oh Boy"
> and "Maybe Baby" were just two of the hits he did have. Who was
> this musician?

Buddy Holly

> Questions #6-10... aren't.
>
> 7. The frontman of this group decided not to show, reportedly
> because he was opposed to the whole idea of a Rock and Roll Hall
> of Fame. The rest of the band disagreed: they showed, and they
> brought a cardboard cut-out of the singer onstage. He passed
> away at 53 of a heart attack in 1995. Name the man or the group.

Grateful Dead

> 8. What great guitarist has been inducted """more times than anyone
> else""" -- a total of 3 times?

Eric Clapton

> 9. This Canadian-born musician was inducted as a member of Buffalo
> Springfield but """is""" more famous as a solo artist. Name him.

Neil Young

> 10. This man was inducted as the guitarist for the Faces, but
> """is""" more remembered for the supergroup he """now"""
> plays for. Name him.

Ron Wood

> * Game 8, Round 3 - Science - Chemical Elements and their Uses
>
> In each case, name the element being described.
>
> 1. This element is the lightest metal and the least dense of the
> solid elements. Its biggest, yet less widely known, use is in
> ceramics, especially ovenware; other major uses are in batteries
> and lubricating greases. Salts of this metal can be used to
> treat bipolar disorder.

lithium

> 2. Element 22 is a lightweight metal with a high ratio of tensile
> strength to weight, and is resistant to corrosion and fatigue.
> Hence alloys of this metal are used in aircraft, spacecraft,
> warships, armor plating, and missiles. But 95% of the world's
> production of this metal is converted to its oxide compound,
> which is a bright white pigment used in paints, toothpastes,
> paper, and plastics.

titanium

> 3. This element has the highest electrical conductivity of all
> elements (at ordinary temperatures). As well as electronics, it
> is also used in film photography, mirrors, jewelry, and coinage.

silver

> 4. 55% of the world's production of element 30 is used for
> galvanization, a process of coating steel to protect it
> against corrosion.

chromium

> 5. Element 80 can often be found in thermometers, barometers,
> and dental fillings; until about 1970 it was often found in
> light switches.

mercury

> 6. Common uses of element 82 include weights, solders, bullets,
> and radiation shields.

lead

> 7. Non-metallic element 15 comes in numerous varieties or
> allotropes: the red and white varieties are the most common.
> It is often found in matches and fertilizers.

phosphorus

> 8. Element 17 has a name based on the ancient Greek word for
> "pale green". This element is often used as a reagent, and it
> and some of its compounds are often used as disinfectants.

chlorine

> 9. Element 79 is the most malleable metal, is an excellent
> electrical conductor, and chemically it is resistant to air,
> moisture, and most corrosive agents. 90% of this element is
> used for either jewelry, coinage, or investment.

gold

> 10. Because element 50 is corrosion-resistant and has a low
> toxicity, it is often plated on steel to be used as
> food-container material.

chromium

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: rock and roll and elements

<tmupqp$1418u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4372&group=rec.games.trivia#4372

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2022 23:58:17 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Fri, 9 Dec 2022 07:58 UTC

On 12/6/22 23:55, Mark Brader wrote:

> [...]

> and "Maybe Baby" were just two of the hits he did have. Who was
> this musician?
>
> Questions #6-10... aren't.
>
> 6. When informed they were to be inducted into the Rock and Roll
> Hall of Fame, this group decided not to show, sending a letter
> instead. It opened poetically by saying that "compared to the
> <answer 6>, Rock and Roll and that Hall of Fame is a piss stain".
> What aristocracy-loving group are we talking about?
>
> 7. The frontman of this group decided not to show, reportedly
> because he was opposed to the whole idea of a Rock and Roll Hall
> of Fame. The rest of the band disagreed: they showed, and they
> brought a cardboard cut-out of the singer onstage. He passed
> away at 53 of a heart attack in 1995. Name the man or the group.
>
> 8. What great guitarist has been inducted """more times than anyone

Jimi Hendrix

> 9. This Canadian-born musician was inducted as a member of Buffalo
> Springfield but """is""" more famous as a solo artist. Name him.
>
> 10. This man was inducted as the guitarist for the Faces, but
> """is""" more remembered for the supergroup he """now"""
> plays for. Name him.
>

> * Game 8, Round 3 - Science - Chemical Elements and their Uses
>
> In each case, name the element being described.
>
> 1. This element is the lightest metal and the least dense of the
> solid elements. Its biggest, yet less widely known, use is in
> ceramics, especially ovenware; other major uses are in batteries
> and lubricating greases. Salts of this metal can be used to
> treat bipolar disorder.

lithium

> 2. Element 22 is a lightweight metal with a high ratio of tensile
> strength to weight, and is resistant to corrosion and fatigue.
> Hence alloys of this metal are used in aircraft, spacecraft,
> warships, armor plating, and missiles. But 95% of the world's
> production of this metal is converted to its oxide compound,
> which is a bright white pigment used in paints, toothpastes,
> paper, and plastics.

titanium

> 3. This element has the highest electrical conductivity of all
> elements (at ordinary temperatures). As well as electronics, it
> is also used in film photography, mirrors, jewelry, and coinage.

silver

> 4. 55% of the world's production of element 30 is used for
> galvanization, a process of coating steel to protect it
> against corrosion.

zinc

> 5. Element 80 can often be found in thermometers, barometers,
> and dental fillings; until about 1970 it was often found in
> light switches.

mercury

> 6. Common uses of element 82 include weights, solders, bullets,
> and radiation shields.

lead

> 7. Non-metallic element 15 comes in numerous varieties or
> allotropes: the red and white varieties are the most common.
> It is often found in matches and fertilizers.

phosphorus

> 8. Element 17 has a name based on the ancient Greek word for
> "pale green". This element is often used as a reagent, and it
> and some of its compounds are often used as disinfectants.

chlorine

> 9. Element 79 is the most malleable metal, is an excellent
> electrical conductor, and chemically it is resistant to air,
> moisture, and most corrosive agents. 90% of this element is
> used for either jewelry, coinage, or investment.

gold

> 10. Because element 50 is corrosion-resistant and has a low
> toxicity, it is often plated on steel to be used as
> food-container material.

tin

--
Dan Tilque

RQFTCINO13 Game 8, Rounds 2-3 answers: rock and roll and elements

<uD6dnR_71-Txhwn-nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4373&group=rec.games.trivia#4373

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCINO13 Game 8, Rounds 2-3 answers: rock and roll and elements
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2022 05:34:36 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 10 Dec 2022 05:34 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-04-01,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2022-09-09 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 8, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

> Answer these 2013 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

> [1.] Last week, Italy's highest court overturned the acquittal of
> an American charged with a murder committed in 2007, and ordered
> a retrial. What is the name of this American who now faces
> retrial for murder in Italy?

Amanda Knox. (She was acquitted in the retrial.) Dan Blum, Pete,
and Joshua got this.

> 2. What is the name of the portly British actor who died last
> week at age 65? Although he won the Laurence Olivier Award and
> the Tony Award for his roles in the play "The History Boys",
> he is probably best known for playing the role of Vernon Dursley
> in the Harry Potter movies. Who was this actor?

Richard Griffiths.

> * Game 8, Round 2 - Entertainment - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame

> The groundbreaking ceremony on Lake Erie, in Cleveland, for the
> Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, wasn't until 1993, and the official
> opening was in 1995. But the Hall began accepting inductees
> in 1986. Questions #1-5 are about the charter members from 1986.

Although only the second-easiest round in the original game, this
one was also tied for fourth-easiest of the entire season (with
Game 5, Round 7, about memoirs).

> 1. This charter member was such a hero to John Lennon that John
> was quoted as saying, "If you tried to give rock and roll
> another name, you might call it <answer 1>." Keith Richards
> so admired the man that he went out of his way to create the
> movie "Hail! Hail! Rock 'n' Roll" in his honor. Who are we
> talking about?

Chuck Berry. (He died in 2017.) 4 for Erland, Pete, and Joshua.
3 for Dan Blum.

> 2. Born in the Big Easy in 1928, this pianist/singer/songwriter
> ultimately sold more records (65,000,000) than any '50s-era
> rocker except Elvis Presley. He scored more hit records than
> Chuck Berry, Little Richard, and Buddy Holly put together.
> Who """is""" this incredible performer?

Fats Domino. (He, too, died in 2017.) 4 for Pete and Joshua.

> 3. This man had more honorifics attached to his name than any
> other performer in music history. He was variously tagged
> "Soul Brother #1", "the Godfather of Soul", "the Hardest-Working
> Man in Show Business", "Mr. Dynamite", and even "the Original
> Disco Man." Who was this multiply-tagged man?

James Brown. (He died in 2006.) 4 for Dan Blum, Pete, Joshua,
and Dan Tilque.

> 4. This duo rose to prominence on songs written for them by the
> husband-and-wife team of Felice and Boudleaux Bryant. Their hits
> include such timeless favorites as "Bye Bye Love" and "Wake Up
> Little Susie". Who """are""" they?

The Everly Brothers. (Phil Everly died in 2014, Don in 2021.)
4 for Dan Blum, Pete, and Joshua.

> 5. This charter member, if he had lived, might have written more
> rock-and-roll hits than all others... but who knows? "Oh Boy"
> and "Maybe Baby" were just two of the hits he did have. Who was
> this musician?

Buddy Holly. (He, of course, died in 1959 -- see Game 7, Round 2.)
4 for Pete and Joshua.

> Questions #6-10... aren't.

> 6. When informed they were to be inducted into the Rock and Roll
> Hall of Fame, this group decided not to show, sending a letter
> instead. It opened poetically by saying that "compared to the
> <answer 6>, Rock and Roll and that Hall of Fame is a piss stain".
> What aristocracy-loving group are we talking about?

The Sex Pistols. 4 for Pete.

> 7. The frontman of this group decided not to show, reportedly
> because he was opposed to the whole idea of a Rock and Roll Hall
> of Fame. The rest of the band disagreed: they showed, and they
> brought a cardboard cut-out of the singer onstage. He passed
> away at 53 of a heart attack in 1995. Name the man or the group.

Jerry Garcia, the Grateful Dead. 4 for Joshua.

> 8. What great guitarist has been inducted """more times than anyone
> else""" -- a total of 3 times?

Eric Clapton. (Yardbirds, Cream, solo. Still alive and still true.)
4 for Erland, Pete, and Joshua.

> 9. This Canadian-born musician was inducted as a member of Buffalo
> Springfield but """is""" more famous as a solo artist. Name him.

Neil Young. (Still alive.) 4 for Erland, Pete, and Joshua.

> 10. This man was inducted as the guitarist for the Faces, but
> """is""" more remembered for the supergroup he """now"""
> plays for. Name him.

Ronnie Wood. (Rolling Stones. Still alive and still true.)
4 for Erland, Pete, and Joshua.

> * Game 8, Round 3 - Science - Chemical Elements and their Uses

> In each case, name the element being described.

> 1. This element is the lightest metal and the least dense of the
> solid elements. Its biggest, yet less widely known, use is in
> ceramics, especially ovenware; other major uses are in batteries
> and lubricating greases. Salts of this metal can be used to
> treat bipolar disorder.

Lithium. (It's element 3.) 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, Joshua,
and Dan Tilque.

> 2. Element 22 is a lightweight metal with a high ratio of tensile
> strength to weight, and is resistant to corrosion and fatigue.
> Hence alloys of this metal are used in aircraft, spacecraft,
> warships, armor plating, and missiles. But 95% of the world's
> production of this metal is converted to its oxide compound,
> which is a bright white pigment used in paints, toothpastes,
> paper, and plastics.

Titanium. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 3. This element has the highest electrical conductivity of all
> elements (at ordinary temperatures). As well as electronics, it
> is also used in film photography, mirrors, jewelry, and coinage.

Silver. (Element 47.) 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, Joshua,
and Dan Tilque.

> 4. 55% of the world's production of element 30 is used for
> galvanization, a process of coating steel to protect it
> against corrosion.

Zinc. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, and Dan Tilque.

> 5. Element 80 can often be found in thermometers, barometers,
> and dental fillings; until about 1970 it was often found in
> light switches.

Mercury. 4 for everyone -- Dan Blum, Erland, Pete, Joshua,
and Dan Tilque.

> 6. Common uses of element 82 include weights, solders, bullets,
> and radiation shields.

Lead. 4 for Erland, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

At our game, the QM misread this question and said "soldiers"
instead of "solders". At least two of us weren't bothered by this:
we just assumed it meant toy soldiers, some of which have indeed
been made of lead!

> 7. Non-metallic element 15 comes in numerous varieties or
> allotropes: the red and white varieties are the most common.
> It is often found in matches and fertilizers.

Phosphorus. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque. 3 for Erland.

> 8. Element 17 has a name based on the ancient Greek word for
> "pale green". This element is often used as a reagent, and it
> and some of its compounds are often used as disinfectants.

Chlorine. 4 for Joshua and Dan Tilque. 3 for Erland.

> 9. Element 79 is the most malleable metal, is an excellent
> electrical conductor, and chemically it is resistant to air,
> moisture, and most corrosive agents. 90% of this element is
> used for either jewelry, coinage, or investment.

Gold. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, Joshua, and Dan Tilque. 2 for Pete.

> 10. Because element 50 is corrosion-resistant and has a low
> toxicity, it is often plated on steel to be used as
> food-container material.

Tin. 4 for Erland and Dan Tilque.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 8 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Ent Sci
Joshua Kreitzer 36 32 68
Erland Sommarskog 16 38 54
Dan Tilque 4 40 44
Pete Gayde 36 6 42
Dan Blum 11 28 39

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "How many killers do we know who'd use a semicolon?"
msb@vex.net --Delia Peabody (Nora Roberts as J.D. Robb)

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 8, Rounds 2-3 answers: rock and roll and elements

<XnsAF6A76A4D3F9BYazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4378&group=rec.games.trivia#4378

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2022 11:39:47 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Sun, 11 Dec 2022 10:39 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
>> 4. This duo rose to prominence on songs written for them by the
>> husband-and-wife team of Felice and Boudleaux Bryant. Their hits
>> include such timeless favorites as "Bye Bye Love" and "Wake Up
>> Little Susie". Who """are""" they?
>
> The Everly Brothers. (Phil Everly died in 2014, Don in 2021.)
> 4 for Dan Blum, Pete, and Joshua.

I answered Simon & Garfunkel, and I like to say to my defense that
they have recorded both of the songs in the question. That does not
make it a correct answer, since obviously the Bryants cannot have
written the songs for both duos.

It also occurred to me a little odd that Simon & Garfunkel would have
started their career singing songs written by others, since Paul Simon is
such a strong songwriter himself.