Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCINO13 Game 7, Rounds 7-8: best novels, psychologists
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2022 05:10:16 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 1 Dec 2022 05:10 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-03-18,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Night Owls, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 7, Round 7 - Literature - Best 100 Novels

The works in this round are taken from the list of "100 Best Novels
of the 20th Century" (meaning 1900-98) according to a Modern Library
poll of readers. We give you the name of the novel and its position
on the list; you give the author.

1. #99, "The Cunning Man".
2. #92, "The Sheltering Sky".
3. #85, "V".
4. #76, "At Swim-Two-Birds".
5. #73, "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance".
6. #72, "The Door into Summer".
7. #71, "The Magus".
8. #52, "The Heart is a Lonely Hunter".
9. #39, "Under the Volcano".
10. #17, "A Town Like Alice".

* Game 7, Round 8 - Science - Psychologists

This is a round on famous psychologists and psychiatrists who made
significant contributions to psychology. In each case, name the
person described. Please note that Freud will not be an answer
to any question in this round.

1. This German-American psychologist and psychoanalyst lived
1902-94. He proposed an eight-stage theory of life and
personality development. His writings include the books
"Childhood and Society" and "Identity: Youth and Crisis".
He might be best known for coining the phrase "identity crisis".

2. This American psychologist lived 1908-70. His writings included
the books "A Theory of Human Motivation" and "Motivation and
Personality". He is best known for his theory on the hierarchy
of needs.

3. This Swiss psychotherapist and psychiatrist lived 1875-1961.
He is considered the founder of analytical psychology.
He developed concepts such as extraversion and introversion,
archetypes, and the collective unconscious. The Myers-Briggs
Type Indicator test is based on his theories.

4. This American psychologist and behaviorist lived 1904-90.
He developed the theory of operant conditioning -- the idea
that behavior is determined by its consequences, be they
reinforcements or punishments, which make it more or less likely
that the behavior will occur again. He believed that the only
scientific approach to psychology was one that studied behaviors,
not internal mental processes.

5. This Austrian doctor and psychotherapist lived 1870-1937.
He is one of the cofounders of the psychoanalytic movement,
alongside Freud. He is the founder of the school of individual
psychology. His major contribution to psychology was his theory
of the inferiority complex.

6. This Austrian neurologist and psychiatrist lived 1905-97.
He is the founder of logotherapy, which is a form of
existential analysis. He is best known for his book "Man's
Search for Meaning", which chronicles his experiences as
a concentration-camp inmate. This led him to discover the
importance of finding meaning in all forms of existence, and
thus a reason to continue living.

7. This Swiss-American psychiatrist lived 1926-2004. She was
a pioneer in near-death studies. Her major work was the book
"On Death and Dying", where she introduced her theory of the
five stages of grief.

8. This American psychologist and educator was born in 1942.
He """is""" considered one of the founders of the school of
positive psychology. He """is""" best known for his work on
learned helplessness and learned optimism.

9. This French psychologist lived 1857-1911. He invented the
first usable intelligence test, which is still in existence
today in modified form.

10. This Swiss developmental psychologist lived 1896-1980. He is
best known for concepts such as assimilation and accommodation
and the theory of stages of cognitive development for children
(which included the sensorimotor, preoperational, concrete
operational, and formal operational stages).

--
Mark Brader "You can't [compare] computer memory and recall
Toronto with human memory and recall. It's comparing

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 7, Rounds 7-8: best novels, psychologists

<aab993a7-dd1a-4c2d-9e28-9e9e599b41f8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4354&group=rec.games.trivia#4354

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2022 22:16:38 -0800 (PST)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Thu, 1 Dec 2022 06:16 UTC

On Wednesday, November 30, 2022 at 11:10:23 PM UTC-6, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 7, Round 7 - Literature - Best 100 Novels
>
> The works in this round are taken from the list of "100 Best Novels
> of the 20th Century" (meaning 1900-98) according to a Modern Library
> poll of readers. We give you the name of the novel and its position
> on the list; you give the author.
>
> 2. #92, "The Sheltering Sky".

Bowles

> 3. #85, "V".

Pynchon

> 5. #73, "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance".

Pirsig

> 7. #71, "The Magus".

Fowles

> 8. #52, "The Heart is a Lonely Hunter".

McCullers

> 9. #39, "Under the Volcano".

Lowry

> * Game 7, Round 8 - Science - Psychologists
>
> This is a round on famous psychologists and psychiatrists who made
> significant contributions to psychology. In each case, name the
> person described. Please note that Freud will not be an answer
> to any question in this round.
>
> 1. This German-American psychologist and psychoanalyst lived
> 1902-94. He proposed an eight-stage theory of life and
> personality development. His writings include the books
> "Childhood and Society" and "Identity: Youth and Crisis".
> He might be best known for coining the phrase "identity crisis".

Bettelheim
> 2. This American psychologist lived 1908-70. His writings included
> the books "A Theory of Human Motivation" and "Motivation and
> Personality". He is best known for his theory on the hierarchy
> of needs.

Maslow

> 3. This Swiss psychotherapist and psychiatrist lived 1875-1961.
> He is considered the founder of analytical psychology.
> He developed concepts such as extraversion and introversion,
> archetypes, and the collective unconscious. The Myers-Briggs
> Type Indicator test is based on his theories.

Jung

> 5. This Austrian doctor and psychotherapist lived 1870-1937.
> He is one of the cofounders of the psychoanalytic movement,
> alongside Freud. He is the founder of the school of individual
> psychology. His major contribution to psychology was his theory
> of the inferiority complex.

Adler
> 9. This French psychologist lived 1857-1911. He invented the
> first usable intelligence test, which is still in existence
> today in modified form.

Binet
> 10. This Swiss developmental psychologist lived 1896-1980. He is
> best known for concepts such as assimilation and accommodation
> and the theory of stages of cognitive development for children
> (which included the sensorimotor, preoperational, concrete
> operational, and formal operational stages).

Piaget

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 7, Rounds 7-8: best novels, psychologists

<tmbj2n$r2l$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4355&group=rec.games.trivia#4355

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2022 01:06:31 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Fri, 2 Dec 2022 01:06 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 7, Round 7 - Literature - Best 100 Novels

> 3. #85, "V".

Pynchon

> 4. #76, "At Swim-Two-Birds".

O'Brien

> 5. #73, "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance".

Pirsig

> 6. #72, "The Door into Summer".

Heinlein

> 7. #71, "The Magus".

Fowles

> 8. #52, "The Heart is a Lonely Hunter".

McCullers

> * Game 7, Round 8 - Science - Psychologists

> 1. This German-American psychologist and psychoanalyst lived
> 1902-94. He proposed an eight-stage theory of life and
> personality development. His writings include the books
> "Childhood and Society" and "Identity: Youth and Crisis".
> He might be best known for coining the phrase "identity crisis".

Bettelheim

> 2. This American psychologist lived 1908-70. His writings included
> the books "A Theory of Human Motivation" and "Motivation and
> Personality". He is best known for his theory on the hierarchy
> of needs.

Maslow

> 3. This Swiss psychotherapist and psychiatrist lived 1875-1961.
> He is considered the founder of analytical psychology.
> He developed concepts such as extraversion and introversion,
> archetypes, and the collective unconscious. The Myers-Briggs
> Type Indicator test is based on his theories.

Jung

> 4. This American psychologist and behaviorist lived 1904-90.
> He developed the theory of operant conditioning -- the idea
> that behavior is determined by its consequences, be they
> reinforcements or punishments, which make it more or less likely
> that the behavior will occur again. He believed that the only
> scientific approach to psychology was one that studied behaviors,
> not internal mental processes.

Skinner

> 5. This Austrian doctor and psychotherapist lived 1870-1937.
> He is one of the cofounders of the psychoanalytic movement,
> alongside Freud. He is the founder of the school of individual
> psychology. His major contribution to psychology was his theory
> of the inferiority complex.

Adler

> 9. This French psychologist lived 1857-1911. He invented the
> first usable intelligence test, which is still in existence
> today in modified form.

Binet

> 10. This Swiss developmental psychologist lived 1896-1980. He is
> best known for concepts such as assimilation and accommodation
> and the theory of stages of cognitive development for children
> (which included the sensorimotor, preoperational, concrete
> operational, and formal operational stages).

Piaget

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 7, Rounds 7-8: best novels, psychologists

<tmdqm6$358un$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4356&group=rec.games.trivia#4356

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2022 13:28:38 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Fri, 2 Dec 2022 21:28 UTC

On 11/30/22 21:10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 7, Round 7 - Literature - Best 100 Novels
>
> The works in this round are taken from the list of "100 Best Novels
> of the 20th Century" (meaning 1900-98) according to a Modern Library
> poll of readers. We give you the name of the novel and its position
> on the list; you give the author.
>
> 1. #99, "The Cunning Man".
> 2. #92, "The Sheltering Sky".
> 3. #85, "V".
> 4. #76, "At Swim-Two-Birds".
> 5. #73, "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance".
> 6. #72, "The Door into Summer".

Robert Heinlein

> [...]

> five stages of grief.
>
> 8. This American psychologist and educator was born in 1942.
> He """is""" considered one of the founders of the school of
> positive psychology. He """is""" best known for his work on
> learned helplessness and learned optimism.
>
> 9. This French psychologist lived 1857-1911. He invented the
> first usable intelligence test, which is still in existence
> today in modified form.
>
> 10. This Swiss developmental psychologist lived 1896-1980. He is
> best known for concepts such as assimilation and accommodation
> and the theory of stages of cognitive development for children
> (which included the sensorimotor, preoperational, concrete
> operational, and formal operational stages).

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 7, Rounds 7-8: best novels, psychologists

<57b82f15-55a6-41ac-9455-466d0eb2f8b2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4357&group=rec.games.trivia#4357

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2022 07:25:33 -0800 (PST)
From: stephen....@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Sat, 3 Dec 2022 15:25 UTC

On Thursday, December 1, 2022 at 12:10:23 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-03-18,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Night Owls, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
> answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 7, Round 7 - Literature - Best 100 Novels
>
> The works in this round are taken from the list of "100 Best Novels
> of the 20th Century" (meaning 1900-98) according to a Modern Library
> poll of readers. We give you the name of the novel and its position
> on the list; you give the author.
>
> 1. #99, "The Cunning Man".

r davies

> 2. #92, "The Sheltering Sky".

paul bowles

> 3. #85, "V".

thomas pynchon

> 4. #76, "At Swim-Two-Birds".

flann o'brien

> 5. #73, "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance".

rob pirsig

> 6. #72, "The Door into Summer".

robert a heinlein

> 7. #71, "The Magus".

john fowles

> 8. #52, "The Heart is a Lonely Hunter".

carson mccullers

> 9. #39, "Under the Volcano".

malcolm lowry

> 10. #17, "A Town Like Alice".

nevil shute

> * Game 7, Round 8 - Science - Psychologists
>
> This is a round on famous psychologists and psychiatrists who made
> significant contributions to psychology. In each case, name the
> person described. Please note that Freud will not be an answer
> to any question in this round.
>
> 1. This German-American psychologist and psychoanalyst lived
> 1902-94. He proposed an eight-stage theory of life and
> personality development. His writings include the books
> "Childhood and Society" and "Identity: Youth and Crisis".
> He might be best known for coining the phrase "identity crisis".

erik erikson

> 2. This American psychologist lived 1908-70. His writings included
> the books "A Theory of Human Motivation" and "Motivation and
> Personality". He is best known for his theory on the hierarchy
> of needs.

maslow

> 3. This Swiss psychotherapist and psychiatrist lived 1875-1961.
> He is considered the founder of analytical psychology.
> He developed concepts such as extraversion and introversion,
> archetypes, and the collective unconscious. The Myers-Briggs
> Type Indicator test is based on his theories.

carl jung

> 4. This American psychologist and behaviorist lived 1904-90.
> He developed the theory of operant conditioning -- the idea
> that behavior is determined by its consequences, be they
> reinforcements or punishments, which make it more or less likely
> that the behavior will occur again. He believed that the only
> scientific approach to psychology was one that studied behaviors,
> not internal mental processes.

skinner

> 5. This Austrian doctor and psychotherapist lived 1870-1937.
> He is one of the cofounders of the psychoanalytic movement,
> alongside Freud. He is the founder of the school of individual
> psychology. His major contribution to psychology was his theory
> of the inferiority complex.

adler

> 6. This Austrian neurologist and psychiatrist lived 1905-97.
> He is the founder of logotherapy, which is a form of
> existential analysis. He is best known for his book "Man's
> Search for Meaning", which chronicles his experiences as
> a concentration-camp inmate. This led him to discover the
> importance of finding meaning in all forms of existence, and
> thus a reason to continue living.

victor frankl
> 7. This Swiss-American psychiatrist lived 1926-2004. She was
> a pioneer in near-death studies. Her major work was the book
> "On Death and Dying", where she introduced her theory of the
> five stages of grief.

kubler-ross

> 8. This American psychologist and educator was born in 1942.
> He """is""" considered one of the founders of the school of
> positive psychology. He """is""" best known for his work on
> learned helplessness and learned optimism.

tony robbins

> 9. This French psychologist lived 1857-1911. He invented the
> first usable intelligence test, which is still in existence
> today in modified form.

binet

> 10. This Swiss developmental psychologist lived 1896-1980. He is
> best known for concepts such as assimilation and accommodation
> and the theory of stages of cognitive development for children
> (which included the sensorimotor, preoperational, concrete
> operational, and formal operational stages).

piaget

> --
> Mark Brader "You can't [compare] computer memory and recall
> Toronto with human memory and recall. It's comparing
> m...@vex.net apples and bicycles." -- Ed Knowles
>
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

swp

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 7, Rounds 7-8: best novels, psychologists

<tmg9ne$9tn$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4358&group=rec.games.trivia#4358

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2022 13:57:34 -0600
 by: Pete Gayde - Sat, 3 Dec 2022 19:57 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-03-18,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Night Owls, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
> answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 7, Round 7 - Literature - Best 100 Novels
>
> The works in this round are taken from the list of "100 Best Novels
> of the 20th Century" (meaning 1900-98) according to a Modern Library
> poll of readers. We give you the name of the novel and its position
> on the list; you give the author.
>
> 1. #99, "The Cunning Man".
> 2. #92, "The Sheltering Sky".
> 3. #85, "V".
> 4. #76, "At Swim-Two-Birds".
> 5. #73, "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance".

Adams

> 6. #72, "The Door into Summer".
> 7. #71, "The Magus".
> 8. #52, "The Heart is a Lonely Hunter".
> 9. #39, "Under the Volcano".
> 10. #17, "A Town Like Alice".
>

> * Game 7, Round 8 - Science - Psychologists
>
> This is a round on famous psychologists and psychiatrists who made
> significant contributions to psychology. In each case, name the
> person described. Please note that Freud will not be an answer
> to any question in this round.
>
> 1. This German-American psychologist and psychoanalyst lived
> 1902-94. He proposed an eight-stage theory of life and
> personality development. His writings include the books
> "Childhood and Society" and "Identity: Youth and Crisis".
> He might be best known for coining the phrase "identity crisis".
>
> 2. This American psychologist lived 1908-70. His writings included
> the books "A Theory of Human Motivation" and "Motivation and
> Personality". He is best known for his theory on the hierarchy
> of needs.
>
> 3. This Swiss psychotherapist and psychiatrist lived 1875-1961.
> He is considered the founder of analytical psychology.
> He developed concepts such as extraversion and introversion,
> archetypes, and the collective unconscious. The Myers-Briggs
> Type Indicator test is based on his theories.

Jung

> 4. This American psychologist and behaviorist lived 1904-90.
> He developed the theory of operant conditioning -- the idea
> that behavior is determined by its consequences, be they
> reinforcements or punishments, which make it more or less likely
> that the behavior will occur again. He believed that the only
> scientific approach to psychology was one that studied behaviors,
> not internal mental processes.
>
> 5. This Austrian doctor and psychotherapist lived 1870-1937.
> He is one of the cofounders of the psychoanalytic movement,
> alongside Freud. He is the founder of the school of individual
> psychology. His major contribution to psychology was his theory
> of the inferiority complex.

Jung

> 6. This Austrian neurologist and psychiatrist lived 1905-97.
> He is the founder of logotherapy, which is a form of
> existential analysis. He is best known for his book "Man's
> Search for Meaning", which chronicles his experiences as
> a concentration-camp inmate. This led him to discover the
> importance of finding meaning in all forms of existence, and
> thus a reason to continue living.
>
> 7. This Swiss-American psychiatrist lived 1926-2004. She was
> a pioneer in near-death studies. Her major work was the book
> "On Death and Dying", where she introduced her theory of the
> five stages of grief.

Kubler-Ross

> 8. This American psychologist and educator was born in 1942.
> He """is""" considered one of the founders of the school of
> positive psychology. He """is""" best known for his work on
> learned helplessness and learned optimism.
>
> 9. This French psychologist lived 1857-1911. He invented the
> first usable intelligence test, which is still in existence
> today in modified form.

Rohrschach

> 10. This Swiss developmental psychologist lived 1896-1980. He is
> best known for concepts such as assimilation and accommodation
> and the theory of stages of cognitive development for children
> (which included the sensorimotor, preoperational, concrete
> operational, and formal operational stages).

Pete Gayde

RQFTCINO13 Game 7, Rounds 7-8 answers: best novels, psychologists

<Lc2cnWD3fbU2pRH-nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4359&group=rec.games.trivia#4359

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCINO13 Game 7, Rounds 7-8 answers: best novels, psychologists
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2022 06:05:31 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Sun, 4 Dec 2022 06:05 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-03-18,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2022-09-09 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 7, Round 7 - Literature - Best 100 Novels

> The works in this round are taken from the list of "100 Best Novels
> of the 20th Century" (meaning 1900-98) according to a Modern Library
> poll of readers. We give you the name of the novel and its position
> on the list; you give the author.

This was the hardest round in the original game.

> 1. #99, "The Cunning Man".

Robertson Davies. 4 for Stephen.

> 2. #92, "The Sheltering Sky".

Paul Bowles. 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> 3. #85, "V".

Thomas Pynchon. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 4. #76, "At Swim-Two-Birds".

Flann O'Brien. 4 for Dan Blum and Stephen.

> 5. #73, "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance".

Robert Pirsig. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 6. #72, "The Door into Summer".

Robert Heinlein. 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Stephen.

> 7. #71, "The Magus".

John Fowles. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 8. #52, "The Heart is a Lonely Hunter".

Carson McCullers. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 9. #39, "Under the Volcano".

Malcolm Lowry. 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> 10. #17, "A Town Like Alice".

Nevil Shute. 4 for Stephen.

When this round was originally written, the question-setters added a
comment that the list was determined in an "obviously non-scientific
manner". But if you search for the list today, you'll most likely
find this one:

http://www.modernlibrary.com/top-100/100-best-novels/

which has only 4 authors in common with the questions on this round.
In the other list, the titles appearing in this round are:

#11, "Under the Volcano", Malcolm Lowry
#17, "The Heart is a Lonely Hunter", Carson McCullers
#93, "The Magus", John Fowles
#97, "The Sheltering Sky", Paul Bowles

The explanation turns out to be that Modern Library -- that's a
publishing imprint -- produced *two* "Top 100 Novels" lists that year.
One was based on 217,520 responses to their Internet poll, but the
results were obviously hugely biased by multiple entries from fan
groups for certain authors: no less than 22 of the 100 novels are by
either Robert Heinlein, Charles de Lint, Ayn Rand, or L. Ron Hubbard,
with all 4 of Rand's novels appearing among the top 10 positions.

But this, such as it is, is the list that the round was based on.

Perhaps in response to that result, Modern Library also polled their
own editorial board and produced a separate list -- the one that I
linked above. The two lists are referred to as the "Readers' List"
and the "Board's List", but most sources I could find only list one or
the other, usually the Board's List. Modern Library itself seems to
have been embarrassed by the affair and tries to obfuscate the story,
but here is one site that tells it, and includes the Readers' List.

http://lettersrepublic.wordpress.com/mlr/

The Board's List was also criticized as being seriously biased,
but that's another story.

> * Game 7, Round 8 - Science - Psychologists

> This is a round on famous psychologists and psychiatrists who made
> significant contributions to psychology. In each case, name the
> person described. Please note that Freud will not be an answer
> to any question in this round.

> 1. This German-American psychologist and psychoanalyst lived
> 1902-94. He proposed an eight-stage theory of life and
> personality development. His writings include the books
> "Childhood and Society" and "Identity: Youth and Crisis".
> He might be best known for coining the phrase "identity crisis".

Erik Erikson. 4 for Stephen.

> 2. This American psychologist lived 1908-70. His writings included
> the books "A Theory of Human Motivation" and "Motivation and
> Personality". He is best known for his theory on the hierarchy
> of needs.

Abraham Maslow. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 3. This Swiss psychotherapist and psychiatrist lived 1875-1961.
> He is considered the founder of analytical psychology.
> He developed concepts such as extraversion and introversion,
> archetypes, and the collective unconscious. The Myers-Briggs
> Type Indicator test is based on his theories.

Carl Jung. 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Stephen,
and Pete.

> 4. This American psychologist and behaviorist lived 1904-90.
> He developed the theory of operant conditioning -- the idea
> that behavior is determined by its consequences, be they
> reinforcements or punishments, which make it more or less likely
> that the behavior will occur again. He believed that the only
> scientific approach to psychology was one that studied behaviors,
> not internal mental processes.

B.F. Skinner. 4 for Dan Blum and Stephen.

> 5. This Austrian doctor and psychotherapist lived 1870-1937.
> He is one of the cofounders of the psychoanalytic movement,
> alongside Freud. He is the founder of the school of individual
> psychology. His major contribution to psychology was his theory
> of the inferiority complex.

Alfred Adler. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 6. This Austrian neurologist and psychiatrist lived 1905-97.
> He is the founder of logotherapy, which is a form of
> existential analysis. He is best known for his book "Man's
> Search for Meaning", which chronicles his experiences as
> a concentration-camp inmate. This led him to discover the
> importance of finding meaning in all forms of existence, and
> thus a reason to continue living.

Victor Frankl. 4 for Stephen.

> 7. This Swiss-American psychiatrist lived 1926-2004. She was
> a pioneer in near-death studies. Her major work was the book
> "On Death and Dying", where she introduced her theory of the
> five stages of grief.

Elizabeth Kubler-Ross. 4 for Stephen and Pete.

> 8. This American psychologist and educator was born in 1942.
> He """is""" considered one of the founders of the school of
> positive psychology. He """is""" best known for his work on
> learned helplessness and learned optimism.

Martin Seligman. (Still alive.)

> 9. This French psychologist lived 1857-1911. He invented the
> first usable intelligence test, which is still in existence
> today in modified form.

Alfred Binet. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 10. This Swiss developmental psychologist lived 1896-1980. He is
> best known for concepts such as assimilation and accommodation
> and the theory of stages of cognitive development for children
> (which included the sensorimotor, preoperational, concrete
> operational, and formal operational stages).

Jean Piaget. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 7 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Ent Geo His Spo Lit Sci FOUR
Stephen Perry -- -- 40 40 40 36 156
Joshua Kreitzer 36 34 40 36 24 20 146
Dan Blum -- -- 24 4 24 24 76
Dan Tilque 4 24 12 16 4 4 56
Pete Gayde 8 16 -- -- 0 8 32
Erland Sommarskog 0 20 0 12 -- -- 32

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Infinity is not a big number."
msb@vex.net --Matt Parker