Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2021 08:39:41 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: How the 2020 census explains Donald Trump Stephen Collinson Analysis
by Stephen Collinson, CNN
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Fri, 13 Aug 2021 15:39 UTC

Outside looking in, Americans are Americans. However, tens of millions of Americans do not see it this way. Their view on what count more and what count less is driving US politics.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/13/politics/how-the-2020-census-explains-donald-trump/index.html
"Donald Trump got it.

Years before long-awaited 2020 census data published Thursday showed a dramatic picture of a less-White, more diverse, less rural, more metropolitan nation, Trump built a political apparatus on the idea that America’s traditional face was changing.

From his racist “birther” campaign against ex-President Barack Obama to a 2016 campaign launch targeting Mexican immigrants, Trump positioned himself as the spokesman for a racial and social culture he portrayed as under attack.

That continued when he became President, with his equivocation over White supremacist marchers in Charlottesville, Virginia (ironically four years to the day before the publication of the census data), to his support for Confederate monuments that lionized the men who fought to preserve slavery. Even now, his political action committee is called Save America, adding to a sense – fueled by right-wing media titans like Tucker Carlson of Fox News and activists who demagogue teaching about the history of race in schools – that the country many White culturally conservative citizens always knew is somehow being stolen by outside usurpers and cosmopolitan elites.

Trump has always been more of a showman than a political scientist. But his often-dastardly political talents are based on an instinctive reading of the political fault lines of a changing, divided nation. The census data explains many of the trends he set out to exploit with his nativist, populist campaigns, which intuited a demographic tipping point at a dynamic moment of change.

But while it adds context to the Trump phenomenon, the census data also suggests that the long-term trends are unfavorable to his strategy of appealing overwhelmingly to a declining base of mostly White, rural Americans.

In that sense, this census represents a milestone in one way of looking at events over the last decade-and-a-half of American politics – as a clash between multiracial, younger Americans represented by Obama’s hope-and-change movement and Trump’s own backlash campaigns with a far older, homogenous demographic. The new data suggests that ultimately, if politics is dictated by demographics, the future belongs to Obama’s heirs rather than Trump’s, since people of color represented 43% of the US population in 2020, up from 34% in 2010. The non-Hispanic White share of the US population fell to 57% in 2020, down 6 percentage points from the last census in 2010, according to the new findings. "

And Texas is leading edge of this demographic change.
Percentage of white population in Texas was projected to drop from ~54%(2000) to ~27%(2040).

http://image.slideserve.com/1133986/slide30-n.jpg

Re: How the 2020 census explains Donald Trump Stephen Collinson Analysis by Stephen Collinson, CNN

<784dc670-6fa6-4012-90a1-5f9356b5e1c1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4342&group=soc.culture.china#4342

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2021 07:01:58 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: How the 2020 census explains Donald Trump Stephen Collinson
Analysis by Stephen Collinson, CNN
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Sat, 14 Aug 2021 14:01 UTC

On Friday, August 13, 2021 at 11:39:43 AM UTC-4, ltlee1 wrote:
> [...]
>
> In that sense, this census represents a milestone in one way of looking at events over the last decade-and-a-half of American politics – as a clash between multiracial, younger Americans represented by Obama’s hope-and-change movement and Trump’s own backlash campaigns with a far older, homogenous demographic. The new data suggests that ultimately, if politics is dictated by demographics, the future belongs to Obama’s heirs rather than Trump’s, since people of color represented 43% of the US population in 2020, up from 34% in 2010. The non-Hispanic White share of the US population fell to 57% in 2020, down 6 percentage points from the last census in 2010, according to the new findings. "
>
> And Texas is leading edge of this demographic change.
> Percentage of white population in Texas was projected to drop from ~54%(2000) to ~27%(2040).

"Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas claimed the administration is "going to lose" the border crisis as "unsustainable" numbers of migrants continue to pour into the United States.

Mayorkas's remarks came during a private meeting with Border Patrol agents in Texas around the same time he announced that roughly 213,000 people were encountered attempting to cross the border illegally in July. Encounters stood at 74,000 in December 2020, weeks before Biden took office. They surpassed 172,000 in March, 178,000 in April, 180,000 in June, and 188,000 in July as Biden eased immigration restraints.

"A couple of days ago I was down in Mexico, and I said look, you know, 'If, if our borders are the first line of defense, we're going to lose, and this is unsustainable,'" Mayorkas said in leaked audio obtained by Fox News. "We can't continue like this, our people in the field can't continue, and our system isn't built for it."

AUTHORITIES ENCOUNTERED 213,000 PEOPLE ILLEGALLY CROSSING BORDER IN JULY, MOST IN 21 YEARS

The DHS boss insisted the border situation "cannot continue" as he said he was aware that certain areas came close to "breaking" points."

Well, Americans have to reach a decision. Is it desirable for the US to keep its European Protestant Christian heritage?

interests / soc.culture.china / Re: How the 2020 census explains Donald Trump Stephen Collinson Analysis by Stephen Collinson, CNN