Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCINO13 Game 7, Rounds 2-3: music died, island flags
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2022 05:42:49 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 25 Nov 2022 05:42 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-03-18,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Night Owls, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 7, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt]

Answer these 2013 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

1. Who became the first Canadian commander of the International
Space Station last week?

2. For the first time since 1985, last week the Northern Ontario
team won the Canadian men's curling championship at the Tim
Hortons Brier. Who was the skip of this winning Northern
Ontario team?

* Game 7, Round 2 - Entertainment - the Day the Music Died

This round is about Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and the Big Bopper:
their deaths, their lives, and their legacies.

1. The three singers all died in a Beechcraft Bonanza plane crash
in Iowa. Name *either* the month or the year when this happened.

2. They were on the plane to go to a concert in Moorehead, MN.
Upon hearing the news, a certain 15-year-old and a few of
his fellow classmates formed a band called the Shadows, and
volunteered as a substitute for Buddy Holly and his band at the
Moorehead concert. This launched a successful pop music career
for the 15-year-old. His biggest hit came 2 years later with
"Take Good Care of My Baby". Who was this young pop star?

3. Ritchie Valens got on the ill-fated flight because he won a coin
toss with Tommy Allsup. The Big Bopper was on the plane because
he had a cold (or the flu) and another musician gave up his seat.
Who was this other musician?

4. What was Buddy Holly's real first name?

5. What was the legal family name of Ritchie Valens?

6. "The Big Bopper" was the nickname of J.P. Richardson Jr.
The P stood for Perry, but what did the J stand for?

7. Who played the lead role as Buddy Holly in the 1978 movie
"The Buddy Holly Story"?

8. Who played the lead role as Ritchie Valens in the 1987 movie
"La Bamba"?

9. What was the Big Bopper's biggest hit?

10. When Valens released "La Bamba" on a 45 rpm record in 1958,
it was on the B side of the vinyl disk. His biggest hit was
the song on the A side -- what was it?

* Game 7, Round 3 - Geography - Flags of Island Nations

This is the second and last visual handout round of the regular
season. Please see http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/7-3/flags.png
and give the number of """the island nation's flag""".

1. Grenada.
2. Tonga.
3. Bahrain.
4. Malta.
5. Sri Lanka.
6. Haiti.
7. Vanuatu.
8. Iceland.
9. Cyprus.
10. Maldives.

So there were 8 decoys. After completing the round, decode the
rot13 if you want to try them for fun, but for no points.

11. Pncr Ireqr.
12. Pbzbebf.
13. Xvevongv.
14. Oneonqbf.
15. Wnznvpn.
16. Znhevgvhf.
17. Cnchn Arj Thvarn.
18. Fvatncber.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto, msb@vex.net
The precedence don't enter into it -- it's stone undefined.

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 7, Rounds 2-3: music died, island flags

<abbb5a63-f6f9-4ed4-be19-047f736d6878n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4341&group=rec.games.trivia#4341

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2022 22:13:20 -0800 (PST)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Fri, 25 Nov 2022 06:13 UTC

On Thursday, November 24, 2022 at 11:42:53 PM UTC-6, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 7, Round 2 - Entertainment - the Day the Music Died
>
> This round is about Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and the Big Bopper:
> their deaths, their lives, and their legacies.
>
> 1. The three singers all died in a Beechcraft Bonanza plane crash
> in Iowa. Name *either* the month or the year when this happened.

February

> 2. They were on the plane to go to a concert in Moorehead, MN.
> Upon hearing the news, a certain 15-year-old and a few of
> his fellow classmates formed a band called the Shadows, and
> volunteered as a substitute for Buddy Holly and his band at the
> Moorehead concert. This launched a successful pop music career
> for the 15-year-old. His biggest hit came 2 years later with
> "Take Good Care of My Baby". Who was this young pop star?

Bobby Vee
> 3. Ritchie Valens got on the ill-fated flight because he won a coin
> toss with Tommy Allsup. The Big Bopper was on the plane because
> he had a cold (or the flu) and another musician gave up his seat.
> Who was this other musician?

Waylon Jennings

> 4. What was Buddy Holly's real first name?

Charles

> 5. What was the legal family name of Ritchie Valens?

Valenzuela

> 6. "The Big Bopper" was the nickname of J.P. Richardson Jr.
> The P stood for Perry, but what did the J stand for?

James
> 7. Who played the lead role as Buddy Holly in the 1978 movie
> "The Buddy Holly Story"?

Gary Busey

> 8. Who played the lead role as Ritchie Valens in the 1987 movie
> "La Bamba"?

Lou Diamond Phillips

> 9. What was the Big Bopper's biggest hit?

"Chantilly Lace"

> 10. When Valens released "La Bamba" on a 45 rpm record in 1958,
> it was on the B side of the vinyl disk. His biggest hit was
> the song on the A side -- what was it?

"Donna"

#8; #12

> So there were 8 decoys. After completing the round, decode the
> rot13 if you want to try them for fun, but for no points.
>
> 14. Oneonqbf.

> 15. Wnznvpn.

> 17. Cnchn Arj Thvarn.

> 18. Fvatncber.

Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 7, Rounds 2-3: music died, island flags

<tlq9ho$va2i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4342&group=rec.games.trivia#4342

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2022 03:39:36 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Fri, 25 Nov 2022 11:39 UTC

On 11/24/22 21:42, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 7, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt]
>
> Answer these 2013 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. Who became the first Canadian commander of the International
> Space Station last week?
>
> 2. For the first time since 1985, last week the Northern Ontario
> team won the Canadian men's curling championship at the Tim
> Hortons Brier. Who was the skip of this winning Northern
> Ontario team?
>

> * Game 7, Round 2 - Entertainment - the Day the Music Died
>
> This round is about Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and the Big Bopper:
> their deaths, their lives, and their legacies.
>
> 1. The three singers all died in a Beechcraft Bonanza plane crash
> in Iowa. Name *either* the month or the year when this happened.

February

> 2. They were on the plane to go to a concert in Moorehead, MN.
> Upon hearing the news, a certain 15-year-old and a few of
> his fellow classmates formed a band called the Shadows, and
> volunteered as a substitute for Buddy Holly and his band at the
> Moorehead concert. This launched a successful pop music career
> for the 15-year-old. His biggest hit came 2 years later with
> "Take Good Care of My Baby". Who was this young pop star?
>
> 3. Ritchie Valens got on the ill-fated flight because he won a coin
> toss with Tommy Allsup. The Big Bopper was on the plane because
> he had a cold (or the flu) and another musician gave up his seat.
> Who was this other musician?
>
> 4. What was Buddy Holly's real first name?
>
> 5. What was the legal family name of Ritchie Valens?
>
> 6. "The Big Bopper" was the nickname of J.P. Richardson Jr.
> The P stood for Perry, but what did the J stand for?
>
> 7. Who played the lead role as Buddy Holly in the 1978 movie
> "The Buddy Holly Story"?
>
> 8. Who played the lead role as Ritchie Valens in the 1987 movie
> "La Bamba"?
>
> 9. What was the Big Bopper's biggest hit?
>
> 10. When Valens released "La Bamba" on a 45 rpm record in 1958,
> it was on the B side of the vinyl disk. His biggest hit was
> the song on the A side -- what was it?
>

> * Game 7, Round 3 - Geography - Flags of Island Nations
>
> This is the second and last visual handout round of the regular
> season. Please see http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/7-3/flags.png
> and give the number of """the island nation's flag""".
>
> 1. Grenada.

15

3

> 3. Bahrain.

16

> 4. Malta.

11

1

> 6. Haiti.

14

6

2

9

5

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 7, Rounds 2-3: music died, island flags

<XnsAF5AB657025A7Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4343&group=rec.games.trivia#4343

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2022 17:55:29 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Fri, 25 Nov 2022 16:55 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 7, Round 2 - Entertainment - the Day the Music Died
>
> 1. The three singers all died in a Beechcraft Bonanza plane crash
> in Iowa. Name *either* the month or the year when this happened.

1957

6

> 2. Tonga.

15

> 3. Bahrain.

12

> 4. Malta.

11

1

> 6. Haiti.

14

7

2

9

8

> 15. Wnznvpn.

17

Re: RQFTCINO13 Game 7, Rounds 2-3: music died, island flags

<tm0nm6$s1t$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4344&group=rec.games.trivia#4344

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2022 16:17:43 -0600
 by: Pete Gayde - Sun, 27 Nov 2022 22:17 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-03-18,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Night Owls, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
> answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 7, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt]
>
> Answer these 2013 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. Who became the first Canadian commander of the International
> Space Station last week?
>
> 2. For the first time since 1985, last week the Northern Ontario
> team won the Canadian men's curling championship at the Tim
> Hortons Brier. Who was the skip of this winning Northern
> Ontario team?
>

> * Game 7, Round 2 - Entertainment - the Day the Music Died
>
> This round is about Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and the Big Bopper:
> their deaths, their lives, and their legacies.
>
> 1. The three singers all died in a Beechcraft Bonanza plane crash
> in Iowa. Name *either* the month or the year when this happened.

1958; 1957

> 2. They were on the plane to go to a concert in Moorehead, MN.
> Upon hearing the news, a certain 15-year-old and a few of
> his fellow classmates formed a band called the Shadows, and
> volunteered as a substitute for Buddy Holly and his band at the
> Moorehead concert. This launched a successful pop music career
> for the 15-year-old. His biggest hit came 2 years later with
> "Take Good Care of My Baby". Who was this young pop star?
>
> 3. Ritchie Valens got on the ill-fated flight because he won a coin
> toss with Tommy Allsup. The Big Bopper was on the plane because
> he had a cold (or the flu) and another musician gave up his seat.
> Who was this other musician?
>
> 4. What was Buddy Holly's real first name?
>
> 5. What was the legal family name of Ritchie Valens?

Valenzuela

> 6. "The Big Bopper" was the nickname of J.P. Richardson Jr.
> The P stood for Perry, but what did the J stand for?

Jerome

> 7. Who played the lead role as Buddy Holly in the 1978 movie
> "The Buddy Holly Story"?
>
> 8. Who played the lead role as Ritchie Valens in the 1987 movie
> "La Bamba"?
>
> 9. What was the Big Bopper's biggest hit?

Chantilly Lace

> 10. When Valens released "La Bamba" on a 45 rpm record in 1958,
> it was on the B side of the vinyl disk. His biggest hit was
> the song on the A side -- what was it?
>

> * Game 7, Round 3 - Geography - Flags of Island Nations
>
> This is the second and last visual handout round of the regular
> season. Please see http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/7-3/flags.png
> and give the number of """the island nation's flag""".
>
> 1. Grenada.

5; 6

4

> 3. Bahrain.

8; 12

> 4. Malta.

13

1

> 6. Haiti.

14

> 7. Vanuatu.

10; 5

2

9

> 10. Maldives.

5; 10

> So there were 8 decoys. After completing the round, decode the
> rot13 if you want to try them for fun, but for no points.
>
> 11. Pncr Ireqr.
> 12. Pbzbebf.
> 13. Xvevongv.
> 14. Oneonqbf.
> 15. Wnznvpn.
> 16. Znhevgvhf.
> 17. Cnchn Arj Thvarn.
> 18. Fvatncber.

Pete Gayde

RQFTCINO13 Game 7, Rounds 2-3 answers: music died, island flags

<_72cnTxLINJN1Bn-nZ2dnZfqn_adnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4345&group=rec.games.trivia#4345

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCINO13 Game 7, Rounds 2-3 answers: music died, island flags
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2022 05:40:32 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 28 Nov 2022 05:40 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-03-18,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2022-09-09 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 7, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt]

> Answer these 2013 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

> 1. Who became the first Canadian commander of the International
> Space Station last week?

Chris Hadfield.

> 2. For the first time since 1985, last week the Northern Ontario
> team won the Canadian men's curling championship at the Tim
> Hortons Brier. Who was the skip of this winning Northern
> Ontario team?

Brad Jacobs.

Why is there a "Northern Ontario" team? Well, when the Brier was
founded -- and so named by its original sponsor after one of their
brands of tobacco -- several of the entries represented areas smaller
or larger than their home province. Northern Ontario is just the
just the last of these areas still remaining -- incidentally, the
other Ontario team is called Ontario, not Southern Ontario.

By winning the Brier, Jacobs's team became the Canadian team in the
subsequent men's world championship. They made it to the final of
that event but lost 8-6 to Niklas Edin's team representing Sweden.

> * Game 7, Round 2 - Entertainment - the Day the Music Died

> This round is about Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and the Big Bopper:
> their deaths, their lives, and their legacies.

> 1. The three singers all died in a Beechcraft Bonanza plane crash
> in Iowa. Name *either* the month or the year when this happened.

The crash was on the night of February 2-3, 1959. 4 for Joshua
and Dan.

> 2. They were on the plane to go to a concert in Moorehead, MN.
> Upon hearing the news, a certain 15-year-old and a few of
> his fellow classmates formed a band called the Shadows, and
> volunteered as a substitute for Buddy Holly and his band at the
> Moorehead concert. This launched a successful pop music career
> for the 15-year-old. His biggest hit came 2 years later with
> "Take Good Care of My Baby". Who was this young pop star?

Bobby Vee (or Velline, his real name). 4 for Joshua.

> 3. Ritchie Valens got on the ill-fated flight because he won a coin
> toss with Tommy Allsup. The Big Bopper was on the plane because
> he had a cold (or the flu) and another musician gave up his seat.
> Who was this other musician?

Waylon Jennings. 4 for Joshua.

> 4. What was Buddy Holly's real first name?

Charles. His full name was Charles Hardin Holley. 4 for Joshua.

> 5. What was the legal family name of Ritchie Valens?

Valenzuela. 4 for Joshua and Pete.

> 6. "The Big Bopper" was the nickname of J.P. Richardson Jr.
> The P stood for Perry, but what did the J stand for?

Jiles.

> 7. Who played the lead role as Buddy Holly in the 1978 movie
> "The Buddy Holly Story"?

Gary Busey. 4 for Joshua.

> 8. Who played the lead role as Ritchie Valens in the 1987 movie
> "La Bamba"?

Lou Diamond Phillips. 4 for Joshua.

> 9. What was the Big Bopper's biggest hit?

"Chantilly Lace". 4 for Joshua and Pete.

> 10. When Valens released "La Bamba" on a 45 rpm record in 1958,
> it was on the B side of the vinyl disk. His biggest hit was
> the song on the A side -- what was it?

"Donna". 4 for Joshua.

> * Game 7, Round 3 - Geography - Flags of Island Nations

> This is the second and last visual handout round of the regular
> season. Please see http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/7-3/flags.png
> and give the number of """the island nation's flag""".

None of them have changed.

In the original game it said "small island nations", but I didn't
think they all fitted that description.

#7. 4 for Joshua.

#3. 4 for Joshua and Dan.

#10. 4 for Joshua.

#11. 4 for Joshua, Dan, and Erland.

#1. 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Dan, Erland, and Pete.

#14. 4 for everyone.

#18.

#2. 4 for everyone.

#9. 4 for everyone.

#12. 2 for Joshua.

#6.

They now prefer to be called Cabo Verde.

#8.

#5.

#13. Joshua got this.

#17. Joshua and Erland got this.

#15.

#4.

#16. Joshua got this.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 7 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Ent Geo
Joshua Kreitzer 36 34 70
Dan Tilque 4 24 28
Pete Gayde 8 16 24
Erland Sommarskog 0 20 20

--
Mark Brader "It's simply a matter of style, and while there
Toronto are many wrong styles, there really isn't any