Be incomprehensible. If they can't understand, they can't disagree.

interests / alt.law-enforcement / What Seattle police officers are saying during exit interviews

SubjectAuthor
* What Seattle police officers are saying during exit interviewsa425couple
+- Re: What Seattle police officers are saying during exit interviewsTrump's Bitch
`* Re: What Seattle police officers are saying during exit interviewsIan Gately
 `- Re: What Seattle police officers are saying during exit interviewsa425couple

1
What Seattle police officers are saying during exit interviews

<QkUWN.5300$yf_8.3072@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4332&group=alt.law-enforcement#4332

Newsgroups: seattle.politics,alt.law-enforcement,or.politics,ca.politics
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Subject: What Seattle police officers are saying during exit interviews
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 13:42:23 -0700
 by: a425couple - Fri, 26 Apr 2024 20:42 UTC

from
https://mynorthwest.com/3956808/what-seattle-police-officers-are-saying-during-exit-interviews-depart/

‘SPD is dying’: What Seattle police officers are saying during exit
interviews
Apr 22, 2024, 2:38 PM | Updated: 4:22 pm

seattle police...
Seattle Police officers confer after taking part in a public roll call
at Hing Hay Park in Seattle’s Chinatown-International District. (Photo:
Ted Warren, AP File)

Share
BY FRANK SUMRALL
MyNorthwest Content Editor
A new recruiting campaign. A streamlined process to speed up the hiring
process. Hiring bonuses. Despite significant investments from the city
to recruit and retain officers, the Seattle police force has reached the
lowest staffing numbers in nearly 70 years.

The Seattle Police Department (SPD) has fallen to just 424 active police
officers working patrol, the lowest levels of staff since at least 1957,
according to “The Jason Rantz Show” on AM 770 KTTH. Going further, there
are 280 eligible to retire based on age and tenure.

Rantz on SPD’s current level of staffing: Seattle has under 425 patrol
officers, 280 eligible for retirement

Of the more than a dozen SPD exit interviews in 2023 acquired by
MyNorthwest, 100% were of officers who served more than five years with
the department, 82% were from officers who served 11-15 years, 73% from
officers who served more than 15 years and 64% came from officers who
reached 20 or more years of service.

What Seattle police officers are saying as they depart
When presented with the question: What factors had a negative effect on
morale in the department, Seattle police officers were nearly united in
their responses, according to exit interviews filed in 2023.

“SPD’s political posture and city management in all categories,” one
departing officer, a detective who’s been with Seattle for more than 10
years, said in response. “The morale and retention will never be
achieved in the political climate of Seattle. SPD is dying and the
command staff is along for the ride — watching it die.”

It will be four years this June since CHOP (Capitol Hill Organized
Protest) usurped Seattle’s Capitol Hill neighborhood, and officers
continue to cite that they are still reeling from the repercussions.

“(In) 2020, where everyone hated us, constant struggles with DOJ
(Department of Justice) and the Seattle City Council,” a detective
sergeant, who served Seattle as an officer for more than 15 years, wrote.

Mike Solan, president of the Seattle Police Guild (SPOG), echoed the
sentiment that the effects of CHOP are still felt today within the
department. At the third anniversary of CHOP’s closure, Solan stated
city leaders at the time “removed our ability to help people” and “their
political decisions killed people,” according to KOMO News — referencing
the two deaths during CHOP alongside multiple shootings.

But, in terms of police department morale, the damage was done. KOMO
News conducted a poll last October and found 64% of respondents still
had an unfavorable opinion of the Seattle police, more than three years
since the summer of 2020.

“City officials’ attitude towards officers (we are treated guilty first
before any kind of review),” another SPD officer wrote. “Supervisors and
chiefs not stepping up publicly to defend the officers until all the
facts are in, thus creating the public attitude towards us.”

Betsy Smith, a 29-year police veteran and spokesperson for the National
Police Association, said Seattle has always been an epicenter of this
friction between police and the public.

More exit interviews from SPD: Seattle cop says ‘criminals are running
this city’ in brutal resignation letter

“Last three, five years, there has been constant vilification of law
enforcement,” Smith said. “In schools, on social media, families,
churches — police officers are bad. Police are evil. The justice system
is biased. Driving experienced officers away, you’ll just lose
institutional knowledge.”

How a Seattle police officer’s role has changed
“The No. 1 concern for officers used to be about safety, regarding
themselves or the community,” Smith continued. “Now the No. 1 concern
for officers is, ‘Will I be indicted for doing my job?'”

It’s become an undeniable factor in the mass exodus of officers leaving
Seattle. In the last five years, the department has lost more than 700
officers — the bulk coming in the last three years. Last year, SPD only
hired 62 officers while losing 96.

“Yes, we have had some Seattle lateral (hires), along with WSP
(Washington State Patrol) and state DOC (Department of Corrections),”
Pierce County Sheriff Ed Troyer told MyNorthwest.

More on Ed Troyer: Pierce County Sheriff not running for reelection

Troyer described Seattle’s environment for police as a place “not
allowed to do police work.”

“No support from administration or city. Not holding criminals
accountable. The recidivism rate and no bail on major arrests. Rampant
drug use and not having the ability to do anything about it,” Troyer said.

One officer, a hostage negotiator who’s been with Seattle police for
more than five years, is leaving the department to join Phoenix’s police
force, a job he thinks will be a “better opportunity.”

“There is far more support for law enforcement in the state of Arizona
and the city of Phoenix,” the departing officer wrote in his exit
interview. “The city government increased the funding of the department
shortly after the 2020 riots. The department, just like SPD, has
downsized but it is still much larger than SPD. I believe this to be a
positive as there are more working interactions with patrol and
specialty units.

“The culture that supervisors instilled was that an officer cannot get
in trouble for not doing anything but can get in trouble, via OPA
(Office of Police Accountability), for attempting to do the right thing
and the situation going poorly,” the officer continued.

Seattle’s ‘new’ city council
Five of Seattle’s nine council members are serving their first terms in
one of the biggest turnovers for the council in decades.

More on the Seattle City Council: Sara Nelson named Seattle City Council
president; 5 new members sworn in

In their first public safety meeting last February, the council listed
six things they wanted to focus on: More collaboration between the
county and state, public health, legal tools, solving issues with vacant
buildings, more attempts to curb graffiti and — maybe most importantly —
police staffing.

“All of them ran under a public safety platform, which is huge for us
and I think it’s huge for our officers,” Diaz said at the meeting,
according to KING 5. “We’ve got to be able to figure out how we raise
that staffing. It’s really going to be important.”

Still, pessimism persists among those growing impatient waiting for
change, Betsy Smith included.

“There’s always going to be anti-cop politicians in Seattle,” Smith
said. “Anti-cop rhetoric and anti-crime victim legislation until the
political landscape changes. Policing should not be a political issue.”

In total, 73% of obtained exit interviews cited city leadership as a
reason for leaving. More than 80% cited staffing issues.

Nearly 40% discussed the lack of a union contract as an additional reason.

More on police union contract: Seattle Police Officers’ Guild reaches
tentative contract agreement with city

The love for fellow officers
Another consistency among the exit interviews is how much departing
officers cared for their fellow officers and co-workers.

“I was extremely grateful to work with some of the best officers, in my
opinion,” a departing officer wrote before listing off close to ten
department colleagues who had influence. “There are many more officers
that made a positive impact not listed.”

When asked what police officers enjoyed the most during their Seattle
tenures, few failed to mention their “brothers in uniform,” citing the
friends they made within the department were some of the highlights
while working in the Emerald City.

“I had a great run with SPD,” one officer said before his retirement. “I
have no regrets. It was the people I worked with that kept me here for
37 years.”

While salary was seldom an issue, according to the obtained exit
interviews from 2023, Seattle police officers will soon vote to approve
a new union contract. The agreement, which can be seen here, would make
the SPD one of the highest-paid police forces in the region with a 23%
retroactive raise.

The 23% raise is made up of a 1.3% raise for 2021, a 6.4% raise for 2022
and a 15.3% raise for 2023 as back pay. The last SPOG contract, approved
in 2018, gave officers a 17% raise and required the city to spend $65
million in back pay, according to multiple media outlets. PubliCola,
which bills itself as “Seattle’s reader-supported source for deeply
sourced in-depth coverage of local, state, and regional politics and
policy,” published a PDF of the contract earlier this month before the
union removed it from public view.

“Is there anything else you would like to add?” the final exit interview
question asks.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: What Seattle police officers are saying during exit interviews

<l92j6bFfd2uU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4333&group=alt.law-enforcement#4333

From: Trumps_B...@organization.invalid (Trump's Bitch)
Newsgroups: seattle.politics,alt.law-enforcement,or.politics,ca.politics
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 14:04:10 -0700
 by: Trump's Bitch - Fri, 26 Apr 2024 21:04 UTC

On Fri, 26 Apr 2024 13:42:23 -0700, a425couple <a425couple@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>A new recruiting campaign. A streamlined process to speed up the hiring
>process.

Any one that volunteers to be a SPD officer is a fool. The government and
the citizens don't support you. They want to put you in prison for looking
cross eyed at someone.

RUN AWAY!!!

--
As long as we have faith in each other,
and trust in God, then there is no goal,

Re: What Seattle police officers are saying during exit interviews

<v0jp0k$heo$3@toxic.dizum.net>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4335&group=alt.law-enforcement#4335

From: igat...@cox.net (Ian Gately)
Newsgroups: seattle.politics,alt.law-enforcement,or.politics,ca.politics,talk.politics.guns
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 14:00:14 -0700
 by: Ian Gately - Sat, 27 Apr 2024 21:00 UTC

<MfbYN.58598$TyYf.21103@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4348&group=alt.law-enforcement#4348

Newsgroups: seattle.politics,alt.law-enforcement,or.politics,ca.politics,talk.politics.guns
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2024 12:03:08 -0700
 by: a425couple - Tue, 30 Apr 2024 19:03 UTC

On 4/27/24 14:00, Ian Gately wrote:
> On 4/26/2024 1:42 PM, a425couple wrote:
>> from
>> https://mynorthwest.com/3956808/what-seattle-police-officers-are-saying-during-exit-interviews-depart/
>>
>> ‘SPD is dying’: What Seattle police officers are saying during exit
>> interviews
>> Apr 22, 2024, 2:38 PM | Updated: 4:22 pm
>>
>> seattle police...
>> Seattle Police officers confer after taking part in a public roll call
>> at Hing Hay Park in Seattle’s Chinatown-International District.
>> (Photo: Ted Warren, AP File)
>>
>> Share
>> BY FRANK SUMRALL
>> MyNorthwest Content Editor
>> A new recruiting campaign. A streamlined process to speed up the
>> hiring process. Hiring bonuses. Despite significant investments from
>> the city to recruit and retain officers, the Seattle police force has
>> reached the lowest staffing numbers in nearly 70 years.
>>
>> The Seattle Police Department (SPD) has fallen to just 424 active
>> police officers working patrol, the lowest levels of staff since at
>> least 1957, according to “The Jason Rantz Show” on AM 770 KTTH. Going
>> further, there are 280 eligible to retire based on age and tenure.
>>

> Seattle elected their own problems.  They got what they wanted.

Somewhat, yes. They have been put in a deep hole that will be
very difficult to dig out of because of the Progressives and
liberals, and Socialist that were elected to the City Council.

But remember in the Mayor's election, they elected what appeared
to be a solid pro-law enforcement person in Jenny Durkin.
Then,,,,, she folded horribly.