From: yourd...@outlook.com (useapen)
Newsgroups: misc.immigration.usa,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.law-enforcement,talk.politics.guns,sac.politics,or.politics
Subject: Blue state in battle over AG's illegal immigration dictate that 'handcuffs' police
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 08:58:17 -0000 (UTC)
 by: useapen - Fri, 26 Apr 2024 08:58 UTC

A group of New Jersey Republicans is trying to reverse a directive from
the state's liberal district attorney general that "handcuffs" local law
enforcement cooperation with federal immigration officials.

Assemblymen Greg Myhre and Brian Rumpf and state Sen. Carmen Amato Jr.,
are gaining support from nearly a dozen Republicans in the state
legislature for their companion bill. Introduced in both the state
Assembly and Senate, the bills would repeal the so-called "sanctuary
state" directive to allow local police officers to coordinate with ICE to
detain illegal migrants.

"The New Jersey Attorney General�s directive handcuffs law enforcement
and, overall, undermines public safety, placing citizens at risk by
creating a separate class of people who are permitted to flagrantly break
the law and undermine U.S. sovereignty," the lawmakers said in a
statement.

New Jersey is one of the states most overwhelmed by illegal migrant
arrivals in recent months. This year, buses of undocumented migrants have
been dropped off at various NJ Transit train stations, New Jersey
officials have said. Many of the migrant families being dropped off there
have then made their own trek to New York City.

"Our attorney general could fix this right away," Myrhe told Fox News
Digital Wednesday. "I'd like to say we could fix this legislatively, and
that this could be the legislature effectively checking the executive
branch if we can get that level of support."

The lawmakers said the bill's passage "faces an uphill battle" among the
state's Democratic trifecta. The governor is a Democrat and both the House
and Senate are controlled by Democrats.

"Regardless, this is a serious issue with national implications that needs
to be debated by the state legislature if we want to be serious about
public safety and how state tax dollars are being spent," they said. "We
will also continue to educate the public and our colleagues in the
legislature on the dangers of perpetuating this lawless policy."

Under Attorney General Matt Platkin's directive, first issued in 2018,
state, county and local law enforcement agencies are prohibited from
assisting and even communicating with ICE agents when the purpose is to
enforce federal immigration law.

The directive also places limitations on law enforcement regarding
immigration detainers, barring them from notifying individuals of their
impending release from custody or extending detention solely based on
civil immigration detainer requests.

SOME OF 49 MIGRANTS FLOWN TO MARTHA'S VINEYARD BY THE STATE OF FLORIDA ARE
NOW ABLE TO LEGALLY WORK IN US

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/blue-state-battle-over-ags-illegal-
immigration-dictate-handcuffs-police