"And remember: Evil will always prevail, because Good is dumb." -- Spaceballs

interests / alt.home.repair / Re: Oral sex and cancer

SubjectAuthor
* Oral sex and cancerEd Pawlowski
+- Oral sex and cancerFrank
+* Oral sex and cancerRetirednoguilt
|`* Oral sex and cancerEd P
| `- Oral sex and cancerRetirednoguilt
+* Oral sex and cancerScott Lurndal
|+* Oral sex and cancertrader_4
||`* Oral sex and cancerScott Lurndal
|| +- Oral sex and cancermicky
|| `* Oral sex and cancerrbowman
||  `* Oral sex and cancerflaviaR
||   `- Oral sex and cancerFrank
|`- Oral sex and cancermicky
`- Oral sex and cancervjp2.at

1
Oral sex and cancer

<h213M.547922$Ldj8.84835@fx47.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=42789&group=alt.home.repair#42789

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed Pawlowski)
Subject: Oral sex and cancer
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 00:28:59 -0400
 by: Ed Pawlowski - Sat, 29 Apr 2023 04:28 UTC

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/oral-sex-leading-factor-throat-184441042.html

Those with six or more lifetime oral-sex partners are 8.5 times more
likely to develop oropharyngeal cancer,” says Dr. Hisham Mehanna

Oral sex may be the biggest factor in the rise of throat cancer in the
United States.

Dr. Hisham Mehanna — a professor at the Institute of Cancer and Genomic
Sciences at the University of Birmingham — said that there has been a
"rapid increase" in oropharyngeal cancer, a type of throat cancer, in
the past two decades, calling it an "epidemic" in both the U.S. and U.K.

"For oropharyngeal cancer, the main risk factor is the number of
lifetime sexual partners, especially oral sex," Mehanna wrote for The
Conversation. "Those with six or more lifetime oral-sex partners are 8.5
times more likely to develop oropharyngeal cancer than those who do not
practice oral sex."

Re: Oral sex and cancer

<u2j1nv$2uh7v$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=42796&group=alt.home.repair#42796

From: "fran...@frank.net (Frank)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: Re: Oral sex and cancer
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 08:14:54 -0400
 by: Frank - Sat, 29 Apr 2023 12:14 UTC

On 4/29/2023 12:28 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/oral-sex-leading-factor-throat-184441042.html
>
> Those with six or more lifetime oral-sex partners are 8.5 times more
> likely to develop oropharyngeal cancer,” says Dr. Hisham Mehanna
>
> Oral sex may be the biggest factor in the rise of throat cancer in the
> United States.
>
> Dr. Hisham Mehanna — a professor at the Institute of Cancer and Genomic
> Sciences at the University of Birmingham — said that there has been a
> "rapid increase" in oropharyngeal cancer, a type of throat cancer, in
> the past two decades, calling it an "epidemic" in both the U.S. and U.K.
>
> "For oropharyngeal cancer, the main risk factor is the number of
> lifetime sexual partners, especially oral sex," Mehanna wrote for The
> Conversation. "Those with six or more lifetime oral-sex partners are 8.5
> times more likely to develop oropharyngeal cancer than those who do not
> practice oral sex."

Reminds me of one where girl told a priest she was pregnant.

How did that happen? He asked.

She said it was the second coming.

He said, How is that possible.

Because I swallowed the first.

Re: Oral sex and cancer

<u2j6b4$2v5h4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=42800&group=alt.home.repair#42800

From: HapilyRe...@fakeaddress.com (Retirednoguilt)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 09:33:23 -0400
 by: Retirednoguilt - Sat, 29 Apr 2023 13:33 UTC

On 4/29/2023 12:28 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/oral-sex-leading-factor-throat-184441042.html
>
> Those with six or more lifetime oral-sex partners are 8.5 times more
> likely to develop oropharyngeal cancer,” says Dr. Hisham Mehanna
>
> Oral sex may be the biggest factor in the rise of throat cancer in the
> United States.
>
> Dr. Hisham Mehanna — a professor at the Institute of Cancer and Genomic
> Sciences at the University of Birmingham — said that there has been a
> "rapid increase" in oropharyngeal cancer, a type of throat cancer, in
> the past two decades, calling it an "epidemic" in both the U.S. and U.K.
>
> "For oropharyngeal cancer, the main risk factor is the number of
> lifetime sexual partners, especially oral sex," Mehanna wrote for The
> Conversation. "Those with six or more lifetime oral-sex partners are 8.5
> times more likely to develop oropharyngeal cancer than those who do not
> practice oral sex."

Obviously, it's not the act of oral sex but the risk of encountering a
partner who has HPV. Somehow I doubt the conclusions. I suspect that
tobacco use and/or high rates of alcohol consumption are still more
contributory as risk agents . It would be interesting to study
prostitutes and professional pornography actors to see if their
incidence of oropharyngeal cancer is higher than in a general population
of people with a life history of 6 or more oral sex partners.

Re: Oral sex and cancer

<wy93M.2568761$iU59.1433009@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=42801&group=alt.home.repair#42801

Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
From: sco...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 14:09:32 GMT
 by: Scott Lurndal - Sat, 29 Apr 2023 14:09 UTC

Ed Pawlowski <esp@snet.xxx> writes:
>https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/oral-sex-leading-factor-throat-184441042.html
>
>Those with six or more lifetime oral-sex partners are 8.5 times more
>likely to develop oropharyngeal cancer,” says Dr. Hisham Mehanna

Math abuse. Throat cancers are only 0.7% of all cancers. The
changes of getting it are about 1 in 500. If the "entertainment" source
you quote is even close to accurate, that changes it to 8 in 500. Still
in the noise.

Re: Oral sex and cancer

<fe61350d-cc7f-4efe-b504-148f1c57884en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=42804&group=alt.home.repair#42804

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 07:42:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: trad...@optonline.net (trader_4)
 by: trader_4 - Sat, 29 Apr 2023 14:42 UTC

On Saturday, April 29, 2023 at 10:09:39 AM UTC-4, Scott Lurndal wrote:
> Ed Pawlowski <e...@snet.xxx> writes:
> >https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/oral-sex-leading-factor-throat-184441042.html
> >
> >Those with six or more lifetime oral-sex partners are 8.5 times more
> >likely to develop oropharyngeal cancer,” says Dr. Hisham Mehanna
> Math abuse. Throat cancers are only 0.7% of all cancers. The
> changes of getting it are about 1 in 500. If the "entertainment" source
> you quote is even close to accurate, that changes it to 8 in 500. Still
> in the noise.

If you think an 8.5 X increase in risk, going from 1 in 500 to 8 in 500 is in the
noise, then you're the one with serious math comprehension problems.

Re: Oral sex and cancer

<jveq4i1c36ddn55khe9rcc5e66usqmup92@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=42816&group=alt.home.repair#42816

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 12:02:42 -0400
 by: micky - Sat, 29 Apr 2023 16:02 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 29 Apr 2023 14:09:32 GMT,
scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

>Ed Pawlowski <esp@snet.xxx> writes:
>>https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/oral-sex-leading-factor-throat-184441042.html
>>
>>Those with six or more lifetime oral-sex partners are 8.5 times more
>>likely to develop oropharyngeal cancer,� says Dr. Hisham Mehanna
>
>Math abuse. Throat cancers are only 0.7% of all cancers. The
>changes of getting it are about 1 in 500. If the "entertainment" source
>you quote is even close to accurate, that changes it to 8 in 500. Still
>in the noise.

I don't know if that is a lot or a little, but I too thought the article
should have said what the base rate was. It's not the only article
that skips this number, but that doesn't make it any better. People
should be able to judge how important something is without having to
hunt for the number that, for sure, the author or the person he's
interviewing knows already.

I knew a woman who had had to have a hysterectomy when she was 28. I'm
sure there are lots of possible reasons for that, but I couldn't help
wondering if it was because, based on what she told me herself, she was
so loose sexually. (Or specifically, maybe as few as one of the men
with whom she exhibited her looseness, but the more there are, the
higher the odds.) That could have been looked at in the reverse...
Maybe the stories she told were about after the surgery and once she
could no longer get pregnant, she felt entitled to "treat" herself to
lots of sex, but that wouldn't account for her cheating on her husband.
They did have one child from before her surgery.

Re: Oral sex and cancer

<hfb3M.555477$Lfzc.511578@fx36.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=42817&group=alt.home.repair#42817

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed P)
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 12:05:33 -0400
 by: Ed P - Sat, 29 Apr 2023 16:05 UTC

On 4/29/2023 9:33 AM, Retirednoguilt wrote:
> On 4/29/2023 12:28 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/oral-sex-leading-factor-throat-184441042.html
>>
>> Those with six or more lifetime oral-sex partners are 8.5 times more
>> likely to develop oropharyngeal cancer,” says Dr. Hisham Mehanna
>>
>> Oral sex may be the biggest factor in the rise of throat cancer in the
>> United States.
>>
>> Dr. Hisham Mehanna — a professor at the Institute of Cancer and
>> Genomic Sciences at the University of Birmingham — said that there has
>> been a "rapid increase" in oropharyngeal cancer, a type of throat
>> cancer, in the past two decades, calling it an "epidemic" in both the
>> U.S. and U.K.
>>
>> "For oropharyngeal cancer, the main risk factor is the number of
>> lifetime sexual partners, especially oral sex," Mehanna wrote for The
>> Conversation. "Those with six or more lifetime oral-sex partners are
>> 8.5 times more likely to develop oropharyngeal cancer than those who
>> do not practice oral sex."
>
> Obviously, it's not the act of oral sex but the risk of encountering a
> partner who has HPV.  Somehow I doubt the conclusions.  I suspect that
> tobacco use and/or high rates of alcohol consumption are still more
> contributory as risk agents .  It would be interesting to study
> prostitutes and professional pornography actors to see if their
> incidence of oropharyngeal cancer is higher than in a general population
> of people with a life history of 6 or more oral sex partners.

Evidently you did not read the rest of the article. Other factors were
mentioned too.

Re: Oral sex and cancer

<u2jipi$317e7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=42819&group=alt.home.repair#42819

From: HapilyRe...@fakeaddress.com (Retirednoguilt)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 13:05:51 -0400
 by: Retirednoguilt - Sat, 29 Apr 2023 17:05 UTC

On 4/29/2023 12:05 PM, Ed P wrote:
> On 4/29/2023 9:33 AM, Retirednoguilt wrote:
>> On 4/29/2023 12:28 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>> https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/oral-sex-leading-factor-throat-184441042.html
>>>
>>> Those with six or more lifetime oral-sex partners are 8.5 times more
>>> likely to develop oropharyngeal cancer,” says Dr. Hisham Mehanna
>>>
>>> Oral sex may be the biggest factor in the rise of throat cancer in
>>> the United States.
>>>
>>> Dr. Hisham Mehanna — a professor at the Institute of Cancer and
>>> Genomic Sciences at the University of Birmingham — said that there
>>> has been a "rapid increase" in oropharyngeal cancer, a type of throat
>>> cancer, in the past two decades, calling it an "epidemic" in both the
>>> U.S. and U.K.
>>>
>>> "For oropharyngeal cancer, the main risk factor is the number of
>>> lifetime sexual partners, especially oral sex," Mehanna wrote for The
>>> Conversation. "Those with six or more lifetime oral-sex partners are
>>> 8.5 times more likely to develop oropharyngeal cancer than those who
>>> do not practice oral sex."
>>
>> Obviously, it's not the act of oral sex but the risk of encountering a
>> partner who has HPV.  Somehow I doubt the conclusions.  I suspect that
>> tobacco use and/or high rates of alcohol consumption are still more
>> contributory as risk agents .  It would be interesting to study
>> prostitutes and professional pornography actors to see if their
>> incidence of oropharyngeal cancer is higher than in a general
>> population of people with a life history of 6 or more oral sex partners.
>
> Evidently you did not read the rest of the article.  Other factors were
> mentioned too.

I did read the entire article. As I read it, my impression was that it
cites the frequency of a certain sexual act as an important risk factor
for oropharyngeal cancer but doesn't compare the numerical magnitude of
the augmented risk to the already known risk levels associated with
tobacco and/or alcohol use and really makes no clear distinction between
relative and absolute risk. This left me with the feeling that a
layperson was likely to come to the incorrect conclusion that oral sex
is the primary risk factor for the development of that cancer.

Probably most people not well versed in science fail to appreciate the
distinction between relative risk and absolute risk. Just because a
specific factor greatly increases relative risk doesn't necessarily
equate to a large increase in absolute risk. The failure to distinguish
between absolute and relative risk is a common contributor to the high
prevalence of math illiteracy.

Re: Oral sex and cancer

<yGf3M.556652$Lfzc.364504@fx36.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=42824&group=alt.home.repair#42824

Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
From: sco...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 21:07:42 GMT
 by: Scott Lurndal - Sat, 29 Apr 2023 21:07 UTC

trader_4 <trader4@optonline.net> writes:
>On Saturday, April 29, 2023 at 10:09:39=E2=80=AFAM UTC-4, Scott Lurndal wro=
>te:
>> Ed Pawlowski <e...@snet.xxx> writes:=20
>> >https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/oral-sex-leading-factor-throat-18444=
>1042.html=20
>> >=20
>> >Those with six or more lifetime oral-sex partners are 8.5 times more=20
>> >likely to develop oropharyngeal cancer,=E2=80=9D says Dr. Hisham Mehanna
>> Math abuse. Throat cancers are only 0.7% of all cancers. The=20
>> changes of getting it are about 1 in 500. If the "entertainment" source=
>=20
>> you quote is even close to accurate, that changes it to 8 in 500. Still=
>=20
>> in the noise.
>
>If you think an 8.5 X increase in risk, going from 1 in 500 to 8 in 500 is =
>in the
>noise, then you're the one with serious math comprehension problems.

0.002 vs. 0.016 is in the noise.

The purported 8.5 increase is for people with more than six lifetime
sexual partners (per yahoo, ibid); yet the actual journal article
specifies 26 or more; the yahoo article couldn't even get simple
numbers correct.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmoa065497

The upshot? Vaccinate with the HPV vaccine.

Re: Oral sex and cancer

<bv3r4i95932k6q5e2a9mful3gfmjefp8j5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=42826&group=alt.home.repair#42826

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 17:46:52 -0400
 by: micky - Sat, 29 Apr 2023 21:46 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 29 Apr 2023 21:07:42 GMT,
scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

>trader_4 <trader4@optonline.net> writes:
>>On Saturday, April 29, 2023 at 10:09:39=E2=80=AFAM UTC-4, Scott Lurndal wro=
>>te:
>>> Ed Pawlowski <e...@snet.xxx> writes:=20
>>1042.html=20
>>> Math abuse. Throat cancers are only 0.7% of all cancers. The=20
>>> changes of getting it are about 1 in 500. If the "entertainment" source=
>>=20
>>> you quote is even close to accurate, that changes it to 8 in 500. Still=
>>=20
>>> in the noise.
>>
>>If you think an 8.5 X increase in risk, going from 1 in 500 to 8 in 500 is =
>>in the
>>noise, then you're the one with serious math comprehension problems.
>
>0.002 vs. 0.016 is in the noise.
>
>The purported 8.5 increase is for people with more than six lifetime
>sexual partners (per yahoo, ibid); yet the actual journal article
>specifies 26 or more; the yahoo article couldn't even get simple
>numbers correct.

Good to know. I'll tell my neigbhor not to go over 25.

>https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmoa065497
>
>The upshot? Vaccinate with the HPV vaccine.

Doesn't that cause Covid? I'm sure I read that some place.

Re: Oral sex and cancer

<kb673eFmks7U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=42831&group=alt.home.repair#42831

From: bow...@montana.com (rbowman)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: 30 Apr 2023 03:54:22 GMT
 by: rbowman - Sun, 30 Apr 2023 03:54 UTC

On Sat, 29 Apr 2023 21:07:42 GMT, Scott Lurndal wrote:

> trader_4 <trader4@optonline.net> writes:
>>On Saturday, April 29, 2023 at 10:09:39=E2=80=AFAM UTC-4, Scott Lurndal
>>wro=
>>te:
>>> Ed Pawlowski <e...@snet.xxx> writes:=20
>>1042.html=20
>>> Math abuse. Throat cancers are only 0.7% of all cancers. The=20
>>> changes of getting it are about 1 in 500. If the "entertainment"
>>> source=
>>=20
>>> you quote is even close to accurate, that changes it to 8 in 500.
>>> Still=
>>=20
>>> in the noise.
>>
>>If you think an 8.5 X increase in risk, going from 1 in 500 to 8 in 500
>>is =
>>in the noise, then you're the one with serious math comprehension
>>problems.
>
> 0.002 vs. 0.016 is in the noise.

Good luck explaining that. I see the same sort of scare tactics used by
people who should know better. "If you do X you are 10 times more likely
to have Y happen" when the probability of Y happening is extremely small.
It works the other was too. "If you eat 3 servings of rutabaga a day you
decrease your chances of contracting mad Chimpanzee disease twenty fold."

Re: Oral sex and cancer

<hsgt4idu43ii3082pa7kfe7v09t961700f@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=42886&group=alt.home.repair#42886

From: thickir...@cunt.com (flaviaR)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2023 15:41:31 -0400
 by: flaviaR - Sun, 30 Apr 2023 19:41 UTC

On 4/30/2023 3:15 AM, Peeler wrote:
> On 30 Apr 2023 03:54:22 GMT, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,
> troll-feeding, senile idiot, blabbered again:
>

>> Good luck explaining that. I see the same sort of scare tactics used by
>> people who should know better. "If you do X you are 10 times more likely
>> to have Y happen" when the probability of Y happening is extremely small.
>> It works the other was too. "If you eat 3 servings of rutabaga a day you
>> decrease your chances of contracting mad Chimpanzee disease twenty fold."
>
> You like your cunt to get licked, don't you, lowbrowwoman? <G>

You are the single most disgusting pervert on all Usenet.

Re: Oral sex and cancer

<u2mspd$3qhe3$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=42905&group=alt.home.repair#42905

From: "fran...@frank.net (Frank)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2023 19:14:53 -0400
 by: Frank - Sun, 30 Apr 2023 23:14 UTC

On 4/30/2023 3:41 PM, flaviaR wrote:
> On 4/30/2023 3:15 AM, Peeler wrote:
>> On 30 Apr 2023 03:54:22 GMT, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,
>> troll-feeding, senile idiot, blabbered again:
>>

>>> Good luck explaining that. I see the same sort of scare tactics used by
>>> people who should know better. "If you do X you are 10 times more likely
>>> to have Y happen" when the probability of Y happening is extremely small.
>>> It works the other was too. "If you eat 3 servings of rutabaga a day you
>>> decrease your chances of contracting mad Chimpanzee disease twenty fold."
>>
>> You like your cunt to get licked, don't you, lowbrowwoman? <G>
>>

> You are the single most disgusting pervert on all Usenet.

Peeler or not there is a Peeler clone running around but both are
equally disgusting.

Re: Oral sex and cancer

<u33ion$lun$3@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=43199&group=alt.home.repair#43199

From: vjp2...@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Fri, 5 May 2023 18:43:35 -0000 (UTC)
 by: vjp2...@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com - Fri, 5 May 2023 18:43 UTC

HPV is now found in many other cancers. Plus the HPV of a century ago could
take decades to become cancer, but now it takes months because new variants
have evolved that are more virulent and less latent. While new strains of TB
come from poor undeveloped places, these new strains of HPV come from the
"sophisticated" urban world. Guess why?

--
Vasos Panagiotopoulos panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm

interests / alt.home.repair / Re: Oral sex and cancer