Newsgroups: or.politics,seattle.politics,ca.politics,alt.law-enforcement,rec.aviation.military
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Subject: NPR just keeps on sliding more and more to the left as it unfolds
into a complete crap show
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 16:23:00 -0700
 by: a425couple - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 23:23 UTC

from
https://nypost.com/2024/04/20/business/npr-just-keeps-on-sliding-more-and-more-to-the-left-as-it-unfolds-into-a-complete-crap-show/

NPR just keeps on sliding more and more to the left as it unfolds into a
complete crap show

By Social Links forCharles Gasparino
Published April 20, 2024, 3:45 p.m. ET
I recently asked a prominent activist investor — someone who regularly
demands from the public companies he targets various forms of boardroom
change — what he would demand from a financially troubled radio network
that needs to broaden its audience and make more money.

His answer: He would issue an ultimatum that the CEO and management team
no longer produce polarizing content because it alienates many of those
all-important listeners.

Meanwhile, if you have an employee who is telling management how current
programming is turning off those consumers, don’t ever think about
shooting the proverbial messenger.

Listen to him; maybe even give him a raise.

I’m withholding the activist investor’s name because he has enough
problems on his hands to get in the middle of the unfolding crap show
involving National Public Radio.

Suffice to say, the network, once known for its reliably wonkish takes
on culture, politics and business, is doing just the opposite.

Recently, it shot the proverbial messenger, now-former business editor
Uri Berliner, who was suspended and then resigned after he called
attention to the institutional progressive rot both internally and when
no one listened in a published essay that went viral.

Plus, NPR is doubling down on all things woke with newish and
cartoonishly leftist CEO Katherine Maher, who will carry on with the
network’s turn further to the far left.

All so strange to anyone who knows business because going woke has been
a horrendous business model — as I point out in my upcoming book about
the radicalization of Corporate America, “Go Woke, Go Broke.”

Most Americans are in the middle and hate the extreme left, or woke
wouldn’t be such a pejorative.

Progressive fringe
MORE FROM CHARLES GASPARINO
Republican presidential candidate and former U.S. President Donald Trump
speaks during a campaign rally in Grand Rapids, Michigan, U.S., April 2,
2024.
The ‘short’ story behind Donald Trump’s Truth Social platform
Combination picture showing former U.S. President Donald Trump attending
the Trump Organization civil fraud trial, and President Joe Biden
participating in a meeting with Italy's Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni.
Keep an eye out on these big-money donors with the 2024 election approaching
Larry Fink, chairman and CEO of BlackRock, visits FOX Business Network's
"The Claman Countdown" at Fox Business Network Studios on March 27, 2024
in New York City.
Start stocking up your savings now – and avoid a retirement crisis
NPR once boasted significant numbers of conservatives who liked its
erudite news and opinion shows.

No longer, as Berliner’s essay in the Free Press pointed out, exposing
NPR’s “news” as something designed by the progressive fringe of the
Democratic Party.

It’s literally programming to the same crowd that loves MSNBC, oblivious
to the fact that there’s only so many far-leftist listeners to go around.

A quick review of its corporate leadership and you see where the social
justice pandering in NPR’s programming comes from, and the selection of
Maher, earlier this year, as its CEO.

Maher is the former CEO of Wikimedia, the nonprofit that runs the online
(and increasingly lefty-biased) encyclopedia Wikipedia.

Her main skills seem to be knowing the lefty nonprofit fund­raising
circuit, and channeling progressive politics.

And it’s clearly not working.

Proof of this was laid out in Berliner’s essay, of course, that hit hard
at the loss of listeners and the irrelevance of NPR’s reporting.

More proof can be found on NPR’s own website by searching through its
audited financial statements.

NPR isn’t a public company (its revenues come from government grants,
member stations buying its programming, and most of all corporate
sponsorships).

If it were, it would make a perfect “short sale” with investors wagering
its stock will crater as the company’s business evaporates.

NPRs finances appear to be doing just that. Its most recent audited
financials describe the fiscal outlook as follows: “In early 2023,
management determined that there would be a significant decline in NPR’s
current-year corporate sponsorship revenue due to poor economic
conditions, which negatively impacted spending by corporate sponsors.
Management believes that the lower levels of corporate spending on
sponsorship opportunities will have an impact beyond 2023 given the
relative ­uncertainty in the US economy.”

Keep up with today's most important news
Stay up on the very latest with Evening Update.

Enter your email address
By clicking above you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

‘Poor’ excuse
Poor economic conditions?

Most corporate profits are rising after the 2020 pandemic lockdowns.

What is floundering is NPR’s audience, which is why corporate
sponsorship is down.

What makes NPR’s crisis even more intractable is that Maher appears to
be among the least capable people to right this ship.

Instead of sitting down with Berliner, she attacked him and his provably
accurate critique in a memo to her staff.

Not smart.

Also not smart: Her hilariously inane and woke public X (formerly
Twitter) feed exposed, courtesy of Manhattan Institute ­anti-woke super
sleuth Chris Rufo.

Maher is someone who admitted to having dreams of “sampling and
comparing nuts and baklava” with another fatuous wokester, VP Kamala Harris.

She rationalized the violent 2020 George Floyd riots because it’s “hard
to be mad about protests not prioritizing the private property of a
system of oppression founded on treating people’s ancestors as private
property.”

231
What do you think? Post a comment.
(Tell that to the small-business owners who saw their life’s work
sacrificed for the cause.)

She’s also well-versed in weirdo-woke lingo, stuff like “toxic
masculinity” and “cis mobility privilege,” and not surprisingly thinks
Donald Trump (and probably anyone who voted for him) is a “deranged
racist sociopath.”

Now she’s running a major media company and balance sheet with (for now)
more than a half-billion dollars in assets.

Yikes!

Like I said, NPR isn’t a public company.

But if it were, it would be the next “Big Short.”

SHARE THIS ARTICLE:
Facebook
Twitter
Flipboard
Email
Copy

231
FILED UNDER DONALD TRUMP KAMALA HARRIS MEDIA MSNBC NPR WIKIPEDIA X
(FORMERLY TWITTER) 4/20/24
READ NEXT
TikTok ban now 'inevitable' after House overwhelmingly pas...

Conversation226 Comments
Share your stance. Please adhere to our guidelines.
Sort by

Best
Mark H.
2 days ago

I was that conservative (socially liberal to a point) that used to love
everything about NPR. No longer. And it’s been a while.

Share
John Andersen
2 days ago

Can we sue NPR for not working for the public but only a small slice of
it. Let them support npr and leave public taxes out of it. Sue???

Share

2 replies
redkrow
2 days ago

Same here. I listened to NPR for 25 years. By 2000, I had enough and
haven't wasted my time with NPR since.

Share
Tall Tree
2 days ago

why should we care if npr continues to exist? there is a multitude of
news and other media. npr brings nothing special. why does npr get
govt money? they are not serving the entire country. why is npr a
non-profit? "Organizations described in section 501(c)(3) are
prohibited from conducting po...

See more

Share
Peony

Well written article. I believe more releases of unflattering emails by
the CEO and staff will tank this “news” source. Most people on the right
and left are tired of elites dictating policies that they themselves
don’t adhere to.

Share