Newsgroups: or.politics,seattle.politics,ca.politics,alt.law-enforcement,rec.aviation.military
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Subject: NPR editor's bombshell essay causing 'turmoil' at liberal outlet
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 12:33:11 -0700
 by: a425couple - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 19:33 UTC

a key,
"He also took aim at how NPR made (racial) diversity its "North Star"
while pointing out that 87 of its editors were registered Democrats
while zero were Republicans."

from
https://www.foxnews.com/media/npr-editors-bombshell-essay-causing-turmoil-liberal-outlet-report

NPR editor's bombshell essay causing 'turmoil' at liberal outlet: Report
Veteran editor Uri Berliner called out NPR's liberal groupthink in The
Free Press
By Joseph A. Wulfsohn Fox News
Published April 11, 2024 7:12pm EDT

Longtime NPR editor rips own employer over alleged political bias
Fox News' Howard Kurtz reacts to the media organization coming under
fire for its liberal leanings in its coverage on 'Special Report.

The bombshell essay penned by veteran NPR editor Uri Berliner this week
is reportedly causing "turmoil" at his news organization.

Berliner made waves on Tuesday for calling out the liberal groupthink
that has plagued NPR's newsroom, pointing to their mishandling of
Russiagate, the Hunter Biden laptop, the COVID lab leak theory and the
ongoing Israel-Hamas war as examples of its left-wing bias while
prioritizing racial diversity over ideological diversity.

On Thursday, The New York Times detailed the "internal tumult" that has
erupted among Berliner's colleagues and NPR leadership.

NPR EDITOR KNOCKS OUTLET'S ‘TROUBLING’ AVOIDANCE OF GROWING ANTISEMITISM
FOLLOWING OCT. 7

NPR Headquarters
NPR is reportedly facing "turmoil" following the bombshell essay penned
by veteran editor Uri Berliner. (SAUL LOEB/AFP via Getty Images)

According to their report, the essay was brought up at what was
described as a "long-scheduled meet-and-greet" with the hosts of NPR's
biggest shows on Wednesday, where NPR editor-in-chief Edith Chapin
reportedly said she did not want Berliner to become a "martyr."

"Mr. Berliner’s essay also sent critical Slack messages whizzing through
some of the same employee affinity groups focused on racial and sexual
identity that he cited in his essay. In one group, several staff members
disputed Mr. Berliner’s points about a lack of ideological diversity and
said efforts to recruit more people of color would make NPR’s journalism
better," The Times said.

NPR RELIED ON ‘EVER-PRESENT MUSE' ADAM SCHIFF DURING RUSSIAGATE TO
‘DAMAGE’ TRUMP, EDITOR SAYS

A producer of NPR's "Morning Edition" reportedly rejected Berliner's
case about why NPR's audience has dwindled in recent years, insisting a
"variety of factors" contributed to it.

NPR managing editor of standards and practices Tony Cavin disputed
Berliner's bias assertions and claimed the essay will likely make it
more difficult for NPR journalists to do their jobs.

"The next time one of our people calls up a Republican congressman or
something and tries to get an answer from them, they may well say, ‘Oh,
I read these stories, you guys aren’t fair, so I’m not going to talk to
you,’" Cavin told The Times.

Uri Berliner
NPR's Uri Berliner wrote a stunning piece calling out his outlet's lurch
to the left in the Trump era. (JP Yim/WireImage)

Others took to social media to weigh in on Berliner's essay. NPR TV
critic Eric Deggans slammed the "terrible" piece on X and swiped at
Berliner for not seeking comment from NPR before being published in The
Free Press.

NPR correspondent Brian Mann, who described himself as an "aging rural
White man," said he "felt welcome, supported, heard and respected by my
colleagues" despite Berliner's criticism of the racial diversity push.

Meanwhile, former NPR ombudsman Jeffrey Dvorkin said Berliner was "not
wrong," while former NPR managing editor Chuck Holmes commended
Berliner's "brave" essay on Facebook.

NPR'S ‘OBSESSION’ WITH DEI, DIVERSITY ‘TRACKING SYSTEM’ SCRUTINIZED
FOLLOWING VETERAN EDITOR'S BOMBSHELL ESSAY

Berliner told The Times that while he hasn't been disciplined, he
"received a note from his supervisor reminding him that NPR requires
employees to clear speaking appearances and media requests with
standards and media relations." The Times noted that Berliner said he
did not run the remarks he told the paper by NPR.

NPR did not immediately respond to Fox News Digital's request for comment.

NPR
NPR editor-in-chief Edith Chapin told staff she doesn't want to turn
Berliner into a "martyr." (Getty Images)

Berliner's stunning critique of his employer laid out jarring
allegations against the outlet, particularly the anti-Trump stance he
said it embraced after 2016.

"As in many newsrooms, [former President Trump's] election in 2016 was
greeted at NPR with a mixture of disbelief, anger, and despair… But what
began as tough, straightforward coverage of a belligerent,
truth-impaired president veered toward efforts to damage or topple
Trump’s presidency," Berliner wrote.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

The editor knocked NPR for allowing Rep. Adam Schiff, D-Calif., to be an
"ever-present muse" during Russiagate and said he "listened as one of
NPR’s best and most fair-minded journalists said it was good we weren’t
following the [Hunter Biden] laptop story because it could help Trump."

He also took aim at how NPR made diversity its "North Star" while
pointing out that 87 of its editors were registered Democrats while zero
were Republicans.

Chapin sent a memo to staff Tuesday saying she and her leadership team
colleagues "strongly disagree" with Berliner's essay and are "proud to
stand behind the exceptional work" of their journalists.

Joseph A. Wulfsohn is a media reporter for Fox News Digital. Story tips
can be sent to joseph.wulfsohn@fox.com and on Twitter: @JosephWulfsohn.

Conversation3.5K Comments
Discussions are moderated. For more details, click here.

Sort by

Best
Cookann
19 hours ago

For decades NPR was almost the only station I listened to. I supported
NPR with donations. The classical music was a primary reason, but the
news programs were informative as well. As an Independent voter, my
politics vary depending upon the issue. Truth and balance are what I
value in media so...

See more

Share
kgun12
17 hours ago

I loved Car Talk on Saturday mornings. My dad and I used to listen to
it over breakfast.

11 replies
sk4truth@1nce
18 hours ago

Same exact sentiment. NPR absolutely know it. To deny their partisan
lean over the last decade is a lie. They have no business being
supported by public funding.

5 replies

Show 49 more replies
fsdsandiego
18 hours ago

I remember when there was talk about legislating that radio stations
hire more diverse staff because too many successful people on talk radio
were conservative. Evidently it is perfectly fine for some media
organizations to be 100% far left.

Share
Eadred
12 hours ago

Rather than legislate more conservative viewpoints, NPR should just be
defunded entirely. A bonus would be to divert that money to Fox News.

3 replies
night_owl
16 hours ago

A journalist on Fox News said it best when he explained that the
liberals believed in racial/gender diversity, not diversity of
thoughts/opinions.

Show 7 more replies
pyromedichd1
19 hours ago

The amusing thing is that NPR, the only liberal radio platform required
government funding to survive whereas conservative radio thrives on
commercial radio stations. The not so amusing things is that all
taxpayers, whether liberal or conservative are being forced to fund NPR,
and that needs to end....

See more

1 reply
sentakanri
18 hours ago

The "defund NPR" slogan has been chanted for decades. As the
whistleblower's article makes clear, the path to defunding NPR lies
through state affiliates of NPR that really launder Federal funds to
national NPR. Act locally. Get your state to defund local NPR affiliates
incorporated in each state. ...

See more

Share
oaklakekid@gmail.com
14 hours ago

Absolutely correct . Well said .

Share
totally_lost
14 hours ago

It's very very very SIMPLE ... Go WOKE ... GO BROKE ... Go Trump 2024
Make America Great Again

Show 1 more reply
eddiebee76
18 hours ago

NPR isn't freaking out because they are afraid to lose Republicans. They
never had them in the first place. They also aren't freaking out because
they will lose Democrats. They will continue tuning in to assuage their
confirmation bias. What NPR is really freaking out about is
independents, who are...

See more

Share
aveinc738
18 hours ago

Many independents tuned them out long ago. I decided I could not
stomach them and rarely tune them in now, only to have them confirm the
reasons I stopped listening are not only valid, but more so than before.

FpLiOnYkD
18 hours ago

I think most independents already realize which way the wind blows at
NPR. Doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see how biased they are. Anyone
who believes that everything coming out of NPR is honest can in no way
claim they are an independent.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: NPR editor's bombshell essay causing 'turmoil' at liberal outlet

<uvc3vu$2ho59$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4292&group=alt.law-enforcement#4292

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: or.politics,seattle.politics,ca.politics,alt.law-enforcement,rec.aviation.military
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 16:01:34 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 20:01 UTC

"a425couple" wrote in message news:Y%fSN.554060$vFZa.282455@fx13.iad...
https://challenge-magazine.org/2024/03/30/why-are-so-many-left-wing-people-losers/

Note that the author is a Communist.

Re: NPR editor's bombshell essay causing 'turmoil' at liberal outlet

<20240412141229.2826ff98@234567aaa>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4293&group=alt.law-enforcement#4293

From: jon...@than.ball (Phil Hendry's Chop shop)
Newsgroups: or.politics,seattle.politics,ca.politics,alt.law-enforcement,rec.aviation.military
Subject: Re: NPR editor's bombshell essay causing 'turmoil' at liberal
outlet
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 14:12:29 -0600
 by: Phil Hendry's C - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 20:12 UTC

On Fri, 12 Apr 2024 16:01:34 -0400
"Jim Wilkins" <muratlanne@gmail.com> wrote:

> "a425couple" wrote in message
> news:Y%fSN.554060$vFZa.282455@fx13.iad... ...
> https://challenge-magazine.org/2024/03/30/why-are-so-many-left-wing-people-losers/
>
> Note that the author is a Communist.

"a member of the Young Communist League’s South Yorkshire Branch"

Who better to speak on communism then?

Just like an avowed hard lefty from NPR seeing the light - finally:

Uri Berliner
NPR's Uri Berliner wrote a stunning piece calling out his outlet's lurch
to the left in the Trump era.

Get your head on straight, Jim!