interests / alt.law-enforcement / California governor to deploy 500 surveillance cameras to Oakland to fight crime

SubjectAuthor
* California governor to deploy 500 surveillance cameras to Oakland to fight crimeuseapen
+* Re: California governor to deploy 500 surveillance cameras to Oakland to fight cScout
|`* Re: California governor to deploy 500 surveillance cameras to Oakland to fight cNoBody
| `- Re: California governor to deploy 500 surveillance cameras to Oakland to fight cScout
`- Re: California governor to deploy 500 surveillance cameras to Oakland to fight ca425couple

1
California governor to deploy 500 surveillance cameras to Oakland to fight crime

<XnsB1482609E3A8BX@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4252&group=alt.law-enforcement#4252

From: yourd...@outlook.com (useapen)
Newsgroups: alt.law-enforcement,ca.politics,alt.politics.nationalism.black,atl.general,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,talk.politics.guns
Subject: California governor to deploy 500 surveillance cameras to Oakland to fight crime
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 07:14:00 -0000 (UTC)
 by: useapen - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 07:14 UTC

OAKLAND, Calif. -- Hundreds of high-tech surveillance cameras are being
installed in the city of Oakland and surrounding freeways to battle crime,
California Gov. Gavin Newsom announced Friday.

Newsom, a Democrat, said in a news release that the California Highway
Patrol has contracted with Flock Safety to install 480 cameras that can
identify and track vehicles by license plate, type, color and even decals
and bumper stickers. The cameras will provide authorities with real-time
alerts of suspect vehicles.

Opponents say the technology infringes on privacy and will lead to further
police abuse of already marginalized communities.

But Newsom, who has deployed state attorneys and CHP officers to assist
Oakland in its crackdown on crime, said the surveillance network will give
law enforcement tools "to effectively combat criminal activity and hold
perpetrators accountable � building safer, stronger communities for all
Californians.�

Public safety remains a concern statewide, especially retail theft,
forcing even liberal leaders of Democratic cities to embrace increased
policing.

But while crime has dropped in other big California cities, it has surged
in Oakland, a city of roughly 400,000 across the bay from San Francisco.
In-N-Out Burger closed its only restaurant in Oakland � the first closure
in its 75-year history � due to car break-ins, property damage, theft and
robberies.

On Thursday, the CEOs of four major employers in downtown Oakland
announced plans for a joint $10 million security program to improve public
safety and protect employees. The companies are Blue Shield of California,
Clorox, Kaiser Permanente and Pacific Gas & Electric.

Cat Brooks, executive director of the Anti Police-Terror Project and a
2018 Oakland mayoral candidate, said Friday that money will be spent on
faulty technology and placed in poor communities to further terrorize
Black, Latino and other vulnerable residents.

�How many people could be housed or trained into a living wage job or sent
to college and get health care, things that actually keep people safe?�
she said. �You're divesting in Oakland. You are taking critical resources
that this city so desperately needs to build whole, happy, safe
communities and you�re putting that toward the same failed strategies.�

The contract with Flock Safety costs $1.6 million for the first year and
nearly $1.5 million for each subsequent, optional year, said Jaime Coffee,
CHP spokesperson.

Connor Metz, a Flock Safety spokesperson, said in an email that the
company based in Atlanta, Georgia operates in 47 states and 5,000
communities across the country, including schools, cities, neighborhood
associations and police.

Nearly 300 of the cameras will be deployed on city streets and the
remainder will be deployed on nearby state highways, according to the
governor's statement.

For the sake of privacy, footage will be retained for 28 days and will not
be shared with third parties beyond California law enforcement, Newsom�s
office said.

Earlier this month, voters approved a ballot measure backed by San
Francisco Mayor London Breed to grant police access to drones and
surveillance cameras.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/california-governor-deploy-500-
surveillance-cameras-oakland-fight-108661935

Re: California governor to deploy 500 surveillance cameras to Oakland to fight crime

<uugpim$35vvo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4253&group=alt.law-enforcement#4253

From: me4g...@verizon.removeme.this2.nospam.net (Scout)
Newsgroups: alt.law-enforcement,ca.politics,alt.politics.nationalism.black,atl.general,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,talk.politics.guns
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 07:03:08 -0400
 by: Scout - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 11:03 UTC

"useapen" <yourdime@outlook.com> wrote in message
> OAKLAND, Calif. -- Hundreds of high-tech surveillance cameras are being
> installed in the city of Oakland and surrounding freeways to battle crime,
> California Gov. Gavin Newsom announced Friday.

Well that's worthless..

What good is recording the crime, or even identifying the perp, if all you
are going to do is pat them on the head and allow them to walk away?

The lack of meaningful law enforcement and punishment is why there is so
much crime.

So the question becomes what will the cameras really be used for?

https://oaklandside.org/2022/06/23/did-zero-bail-cause-a-rise-in-oaklands-violent-crime-rate/

https://www.foxnews.com/us/california-violent-crime-tripled-suspects-walked-free-withou-bail-reform-study

Re: California governor to deploy 500 surveillance cameras to Oakland to fight crime

<y_XON.122191$zqTf.100230@fx35.iad>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4254&group=alt.law-enforcement#4254

Subject: Re: California governor to deploy 500 surveillance cameras to Oakland
to fight crime
Newsgroups: alt.law-enforcement,ca.politics,alt.politics.nationalism.black,atl.general,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,talk.politics.guns
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 11:19:09 -0700
 by: a425couple - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 18:19 UTC

On 4/2/24 00:14, useapen wrote:
> OAKLAND, Calif. -- Hundreds of high-tech surveillance cameras are being
> installed in the city of Oakland and surrounding freeways to battle crime,
> California Gov. Gavin Newsom announced Friday.
>
> Newsom, a Democrat, said in a news release that the California Highway
> Patrol has contracted with Flock Safety to install 480 cameras that can
> identify and track vehicles by license plate, type, color and even decals
> and bumper stickers. The cameras will provide authorities with real-time
> alerts of suspect vehicles.
>
> Opponents say the technology infringes on privacy and will lead to further
> police abuse of already marginalized communities.
>
> But Newsom, who has deployed state attorneys and CHP officers to assist
> Oakland in its crackdown on crime, said the surveillance network will give
> law enforcement tools "to effectively combat criminal activity and hold
> perpetrators accountable — building safer, stronger communities for all
> Californians.”
>
> Public safety remains a concern statewide, especially retail theft,
> forcing even liberal leaders of Democratic cities to embrace increased
> policing.
>
> But while crime has dropped in other big California cities, it has surged
> in Oakland, a city of roughly 400,000 across the bay from San Francisco.
> In-N-Out Burger closed its only restaurant in Oakland — the first closure
> in its 75-year history — due to car break-ins, property damage, theft and
> robberies.
> -----
> Cat Brooks, executive director of the Anti Police-Terror Project and a
> 2018 Oakland mayoral candidate, said Friday that money will be spent on
> faulty technology and placed in poor communities to further terrorize
> Black, Latino and other vulnerable residents.

Well, since Cat Brooks only got 25% of the vote in that 2018 election,
I guess we can see his opinions are not popular!

Re: California governor to deploy 500 surveillance cameras to Oakland to fight crime

<p8dq0jtsv4n2hrta1idij21nfv2gv36fmm@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4256&group=alt.law-enforcement#4256

From: NoB...@nowhere.com (NoBody)
Newsgroups: alt.law-enforcement,ca.politics,alt.politics.nationalism.black,atl.general,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,talk.politics.guns
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2024 06:53:44 -0400
 by: NoBody - Wed, 3 Apr 2024 10:53 UTC

On Tue, 2 Apr 2024 07:03:08 -0400, "Scout"
<me4guns@verizon.removeme.this2.nospam.net> wrote:

>"useapen" <yourdime@outlook.com> wrote in message
>> OAKLAND, Calif. -- Hundreds of high-tech surveillance cameras are being
>> installed in the city of Oakland and surrounding freeways to battle crime,
>> California Gov. Gavin Newsom announced Friday.
>
>Well that's worthless..
>
>What good is recording the crime, or even identifying the perp, if all you
>are going to do is pat them on the head and allow them to walk away?
>
>The lack of meaningful law enforcement and punishment is why there is so
>much crime.
>
>So the question becomes what will the cameras really be used for?
>
>https://oaklandside.org/2022/06/23/did-zero-bail-cause-a-rise-in-oaklands-violent-crime-rate/
>
>https://www.foxnews.com/us/california-violent-crime-tripled-suspects-walked-free-withou-bail-reform-study

Amazing how many rights people give up in the name of "safety" when
they end up with neither.

Re: California governor to deploy 500 surveillance cameras to Oakland to fight crime

<uuop1d$1bv48$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4261&group=alt.law-enforcement#4261

From: me4g...@verizon.removeme.this2.nospam.net (Scout)
Newsgroups: alt.law-enforcement,ca.politics,alt.politics.nationalism.black,atl.general,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,talk.politics.guns
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2024 11:22:16 -0400
 by: Scout - Wed, 3 Apr 2024 15:22 UTC

"NoBody" <NoBody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 2 Apr 2024 07:03:08 -0400, "Scout"
> <me4guns@verizon.removeme.this2.nospam.net> wrote:
>

>>"useapen" <yourdime@outlook.com> wrote in message
>>> OAKLAND, Calif. -- Hundreds of high-tech surveillance cameras are being
>>> installed in the city of Oakland and surrounding freeways to battle
>>> crime,
>>> California Gov. Gavin Newsom announced Friday.
>>
>>Well that's worthless..
>>
>>What good is recording the crime, or even identifying the perp, if all you
>>are going to do is pat them on the head and allow them to walk away?
>>
>>The lack of meaningful law enforcement and punishment is why there is so
>>much crime.
>>
>>So the question becomes what will the cameras really be used for?
>>
>>https://oaklandside.org/2022/06/23/did-zero-bail-cause-a-rise-in-oaklands-violent-crime-rate/
>>
>>https://www.foxnews.com/us/california-violent-crime-tripled-suspects-walked-free-withou-bail-reform-study
>
> Amazing how many rights people give up in the name of "safety" when
> they end up with neither.

Yep, since they aren't enforcing the law NOW.. how will cameras help them
enforce the law?

Which begs the question what use will they really be used for??

Look at what China is doing with their camera system and how it' being used
to control the population