Subject: Re: Vulnerable Veteran With Dementia Dies After Body Slam by
Birmingham Officer
Newsgroups: or.politics,ca.politics,alt.politics.trump,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.law-enforcement
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2024 11:23:53 -0700
 by: a425couple - Thu, 28 Mar 2024 18:23 UTC

On 3/28/24 10:38, Biased Journalism wrote:

> <http://usnews.com>
> Vulnerable Veteran With Dementia Dies After Body Slam by Birmingham
> Officer
> Elliott Davis Jr.May 2, 2023
>
> Carl Grant, a Vietnam veteran with dementia, drove off from his Georgia
> home intending to shop for groceries

Dementia is so sad.

> [...]
> are representing Grant's brother, William Jenkins.
>
> "If you can't stand up and say that what happened to Carl Grant was wrong,
> it just shows how much ground we have to cover to be able to really have a
> conversation about police accountability," Rice said.
>
> A judge dismissed the case without addressing the allegations of excessive
> force. The city and the officer had argued they were not given notice that
> a lawsuit would be filed before a legal deadline. Jenkins' lawyers are
> appealing and the appeals court has ordered the parties to mediate.
>
> Larry was no longer employed by the city as of September, the mayor's
> office said. He's now working as a part-time police officer in the suburbs
> outside Birmingham. Graysville Police Chief McKinsley Marbury said his
> department opted to give Larry a second chance and he's doing great.
>
> "You always keep what someone does in the back of your head," Marbury
> said. He added: "There are so many things that we ask the Lord to forgive
> us for, that we probably are not worthy of forgiveness for. But He does.
> And if He can do it for us, we, as people, should be able to do it for
> someone else."
>
> In court paperwork, Larry denied he committed an unprovoked assault on
> Grant at the hospital. His attorney declined to make him available for an
> interview.
>
> Grant was Black. Larry is too. They were in a city central to the Civil
> Rights Movement.
>
> Birmingham Mayor Randall Woodfin and Police Chief Scott Thurmond have
> spoken out about police brutality elsewhere. Neither agreed to talk about
> this case.
>
> ___
>
> Editor's note: This story is based on a 103-page report from the
> Birmingham Police Department; court files from the civil lawsuit filed by
> Grant's brother; Grant's military and medical records; police body-camera
> footage; hospital surveillance video; and interviews with Grant's partner,
> chief.
>
> ___
>
> McDermott reported from Providence, Rhode Island. Associated Press writers
> Jeff Martin in Atlanta and Holbrook Mohr in Jackson, Mississippi,
> contributed to this report.
>
> ___
>
> This story is part of an ongoing investigation led by The Associated Press
> in collaboration with the Howard Center for Investigative Journalism
> programs and FRONTLINE (PBS). The investigation includes the Lethal
> Restraint interactive story, database and the documentary, "Documenting
> Police Use Of Force," premiering April 30 on PBS.
>
> ___
>
> The Associated Press receives support from the Public Welfare Foundation
> for reporting focused on criminal justice. This story also was supported
> by Columbia University's Ira A. Lipman Center for Journalism and Civil and
> Human Rights in conjunction with Arnold Ventures. The AP is solely

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Vulnerable Veteran With Dementia Dies After Body Slam by Birmingham Officer

<l6lrlhFq7btU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4237&group=alt.law-enforcement#4237

From: sam...@samt.invalid (Sam)
Newsgroups: or.politics,ca.politics,alt.politics.trump,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.law-enforcement
Subject: Re: Vulnerable Veteran With Dementia Dies After Body Slam by Birmingham Officer
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2024 11:36:36 -0700
 by: Sam - Thu, 28 Mar 2024 18:36 UTC

On Thu, 28 Mar 2024 11:23:53 -0700, a425couple <a425couple@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>> home intending to shop for groceries
>
>Dementia is so sad.

Yeah, I had a buddy go to the grocery store in Oregon. He got confused
and drove into the Oregon forest on a dirt road. He ran out of gas and
died of exposure.

Re: Vulnerable Veteran With Dementia Dies After Body Slam by Birmingham Officer

<uu51nd$3ssf3$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4238&group=alt.law-enforcement#4238

From: privatem...@protonmail.com (Voice of Authority)
Newsgroups: or.politics,ca.politics,alt.politics.trump,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.law-enforcement
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2024 00:24:13 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Voice of Authority - Fri, 29 Mar 2024 00:24 UTC

>On 3/28/24 10:38, Biased Journalism wrote:
>>
>> <http://usnews.com>
>> Vulnerable Veteran With Dementia Dies After Body Slam by Birmingham
>> Officer
>> Elliott Davis Jr.May 2, 2023
>>
>> Carl Grant, a Vietnam veteran with dementia, drove off from his Georgia
>> home intending to shop for groceries
>>

>Dementia is so sad.

True. Watching Trump makes me want to weep.