From: drc...@shitholes.usa (Democrat Run Cities)
Newsgroups: neworleans.general,alt.law-enforcement,alt.politics.democrats,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,talk.politics.guns,sac.politics
Subject: 'The rats are ... all high,' NOPD chief says of vermin-infested HQ, evidence room
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 01:48:47 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Democrat Run Cities - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 01:48 UTC

Heavy mold and deteriorating elevators, HVAC units and plumbing are some
of the issues that have been plaguing New Orleans Police Department
headquarters.

But those aren't the only problems at aging police facilities around the
criminal justice complex near Orleans Avenue and North Broad Street. Don't
forget the vermin, NOPD Superintendent Anne Kirkpatrick told the City
Council's Criminal Justice Committee on Monday.

"The rats are eating our marijuana," Kirkpatrick said. "They're all high."

Rodents have infested police headquarters, scattering feces across desks
and feasting on narcotics in the department's evidence room, she said.
Cockroaches are also abundant.

"It is not just at police headquarters. It is all the districts. The
uncleanliness is off the charts," Kirkpatrick said. "The janitorial
cleaning (team) deserves an award trying to clean what is uncleanable."

Kirkpatrick's grim assessment of police facilities came as she lobbied to
relocate department headquarters to a downtown high rise. The council is
considering a 10-year lease on two upper floors of 1615 Poydras Tower, a
temporary move while the department maps out future long-term housing, she
said.

A motion to authorize the pending lease agreement cleared the committee
and goes next to a full council vote. Chief Administrative Officer Gilbert
Monta�o described it as a big step that may be followed by plans to vacate
other buildings in the Mid-City justice complex.

"I foresee most of the criminal justice agencies will have to be
temporarily housed as we address these old decrepit buildings," said
Monta�o, who described the NOPD move as a "Herculean lift."

He said the 1968 headquarters building has sunken into "dire straits."
Under the terms of the lease agreement, the city would pay total base rent
of $7.6 million from its general fund over the 10 years to rent instead.

"It's a good deal for the city to move here," said Monta�o. He said
putting money into repairs to the existing headquarters would cost three
times as much.

The NOPD began agitating for a new headquarters before the pandemic,
including a $37 million budget request in 2019. But that wish-list item
didn't go far. Kirkpatrick prioritized it after her confirmation as the
city's police chief in October, according to a source privy to the
discussions.

The source said Kirkpatrick, a West Coast transplant, was "adamant" about
getting new digs for NOPD headquarters and around 400 staffers who work
there. Last year, many of them worked from home for weeks or months after
the building's air-conditioning collapsed.

On Monday, Kirkpatrick described the building as a "turn-off" to any
potential out-of-state transfers, moreover those who work there.

"It's not OK, and it's not OK for people to be treated that way and be
called valued," she said.

Council member Oliver Thomas, who chairs the Criminal Justice Committee,
said the news of marijuana-addled rats was unexpected, but that he's come
to expect surprises in the NOPD's quest for a new headquarters.

"Everything is a surprise. It was a surprise that headquarters was going
to move when we heard about it in the news. It shouldn't be a surprise
that we are surprised," Thomas said.

Old buildings in New Orleans, like NOPD's 1960s headquarters at 715 South
Broad Street, attract rats, Thomas said.

One NOPD veteran, speaking anonymously, said the headquarters building has
been infested with vermin for his nearly two decades on the force, and
that it's not unusual for officers to develop a sneeze or cough after a
visit to the moldy building.

"It's horrible. I don�t think it ever recovered from Katrina, to be
honest," he said. "The basement was full (of flood water). You get a lot
of rodents that climb through the walls. Some things you just can�t get
to, so there has always been some type of rodent, bugs, rats, mice,
whatever."

Kirkpatrick suggested her outsider perspective helped her see the age-old
problem and "extreme disrepair" with fresh eyes.

"She seems to have a low tolerance for rats," Thomas said. "Just like me."

https://www.nola.com/news/crime_police/the-rats-are--all-high-nopd-chief-
says-of-vermin-infested-hq-evidence-warehouse-new-
orleans/article_88bbef7c-dfc0-11ee-a110-dfcbe69db780.html

Re: 'The rats are ... all high,' NOPD chief says of vermin-infested HQ, evidence room

<zLlIN.96830$zF_1.44911@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4205&group=alt.law-enforcement#4205

Subject: Re: 'The rats are ... all high,' NOPD chief says of vermin-infested
HQ, evidence room
Newsgroups: neworleans.general,alt.law-enforcement,alt.politics.democrats,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,talk.politics.guns,sac.politics
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 10:54:38 -0700
 by: a425couple - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 17:54 UTC

On 3/11/24 18:48, Democrat Run Cities wrote:
> Heavy mold and deteriorating elevators, HVAC units and plumbing are some
> of the issues that have been plaguing New Orleans Police Department
> headquarters.
>
> But those aren't the only problems at aging police facilities around the
> criminal justice complex near Orleans Avenue and North Broad Street. Don't
> forget the vermin, NOPD Superintendent Anne Kirkpatrick told the City
> Council's Criminal Justice Committee on Monday.
>
> "The rats are eating our marijuana," Kirkpatrick said. "They're all high."

I had forgotten that Anne went down there.
Best of luck to them all.
Ever falling higher and higher up stairs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_Kirkpatrick_(police_officer)