Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2023 08:54:28 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Speaking of beans....
From: deanh6...@gmail.com (Dean Hoffman)
 by: Dean Hoffman - Tue, 11 Apr 2023 15:54 UTC

On Tuesday, April 11, 2023 at 9:34:11 AM UTC-5, Retirednoguilt wrote:
> On 4/10/2023 10:49 PM, Judith Latham wrote:
> > t's not exactly something you would keep track of, but most people
> > pass gas between 13 and 21 times a day. It can happen even while
> > you're asleep.
> >
> > Gas is part of the natural digestive process. However, many people
> > find gas embarrassing, particularly if they pass an excessive amount
> > of gas.
> >
> > It's true that some foods cause someone to produce more gas than
> > others. In particular, foods with a high fiber content are frequent
> > offenders. They can cause bloating, too.
> >
> > It's also true that most people do not get enough fiber in their diet
> > and should eat more fibrous foods. One food that has an especially
> > notorious reputation when it comes to gas is beans, a member of the
> > legume family.
> >
> > Beans are well known for their ability to cause flatulence, but the
> > reason may surprise you. This article explains why they have this
> > effect, and what you can do about it.
> >
> > Understanding Gas
> > Intestinal gas consists of hydrogen, nitrogen, and carbon dioxide.
> > These gasses are odorless. Another element exists in the intestinal
> > gas of about one-third of people: methane.
> >
> > It's unclear why some people's bodies produce methane and others do
> > not. One way to tell if there is methane in gas is to look at the
> > stool after going to the bathroom. People who produce methane
> > typically have stools that float in water.
> >
> > Sulfur is the substance that gives gas its distinctive odor. It
> > follows, then, that eating foods high in sulfur—such as garlic,
> > onions, broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage—can cause your gas to be
> > stinkier.
> >
> > Why Beans Cause Gas
> > Beans (legumes) cause gas because they contain a particular type of
> > sugar, called an oligosaccharide, that the human body cannot fully
> > digest. Other sugars are broken down and absorbed in the small
> > intestine. But the human body does not produce an enzyme that breaks
> > down oligosaccharides.
> >
> > Oligosaccharides in beans make it all the way to the large intestine
> > undigested. Bacteria in the large intestine finally feed on these
> > sugars.
> >
> > Doing so causes fermentation (a chemical breakdown) and the production
> > of gas. We release that gas as flatulence.
> >
> > Other foods that enter the large intestine without being absorbed in
> > the small intestine can cause gas, too. And stress can affect
> > digestion and nutrient absorption. The result? More gas.2
> >
> > When to Call Your Doctor
> >
> > Gas may be a natural function, but you should talk to your doctor if
> > your symptoms:
> >
> > * Bother you—or others
> > * Get worse
> > * Couple with stomach pain, constipation, diarrhea, or weight loss.
> >
> > Preventing Gas From Beans
> >
> > To prevent gas that is caused by eating beans or other foods, the
> > oligosaccharides must be broken down before they reach the large
> [...]

This group would be dead if it was strictly home repair. It has morphed into something like
a bunch of old farts sitting in a coffee shop. I'm the tender age of 68. I'd bet that I'm the kid in the group.

interests / alt.home.repair / Re: Speaking of beans....