Take a lesson from the whale; the only time he gets speared is when he raises to spout.

interests / alt.home.repair / Re: Two-part restaurant billing.

SubjectAuthor
* Two-part restaurant billing.micky
+- Two-part restaurant billing.retired1
+- Two-part restaurant billing.Jim Joyce
+* Two-part restaurant billing.Retirednoguilt
|`* Two-part restaurant billing.retired1
| `- Two-part restaurant billing.Retirednoguilt
`* Two-part restaurant billing.Oscar
 +* Two-part restaurant billing.hubops
 |`* Two-part restaurant billing.Jethro Bodine
 | `* Two-part restaurant billing.micky
 |  `- Two-part restaurant billing.Bob F
 `* Two-part restaurant billing.Retirednoguilt
  `- Two-part restaurant billing.Bob F

1
Two-part restaurant billing.

<1l8p2idsdjc5ljaloiitgsuuvreoglnn8f@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=41344&group=alt.home.repair#41344

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: Two-part restaurant billing.
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2023 20:27:22 -0400
 by: micky - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 00:27 UTC

Any of you ever go out to dinner?

And charge the cost to a credit card?

And add a tip after they bring you the bill?

Sunday night I took 3 friends out to dinner and as usual I looked at the
email from the cc company, and I remembered the amount and I had been
billed the amount with no tip.

I checked my cc account for 2 days and no change. I called the
restaurant which put me on hold playing terrible music for 11 minutes.
It also had urged me to write them from the webpage.

So I had to go to the webpage and write them and they called back, twice
even, and the first woman gave me to another woman who said that this
was the system in the US for, I am told, all restaurants and tips, that
the bill for the tip would come 3 or more days later.

Has that been your experience?

Do you think it's true of all restaurants wrt tips? What about other
places where one tips?

Re: Two-part restaurant billing.

<ig2dnRrOPtZoW7H5nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=41348&group=alt.home.repair#41348

Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2023 20:55:17 -0400
Subject: Re: Two-part restaurant billing.
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: ree...@rmi.net (retired1)
 by: retired1 - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 00:55 UTC

On 4/4/23 8:27 PM, micky wrote:
> Any of you ever go out to dinner?
>
> And charge the cost to a credit card?
>
> And add a tip after they bring you the bill?
>
> Sunday night I took 3 friends out to dinner and as usual I looked at the
> email from the cc company, and I remembered the amount and I had been
> billed the amount with no tip.
>
> I checked my cc account for 2 days and no change. I called the
> restaurant which put me on hold playing terrible music for 11 minutes.
> It also had urged me to write them from the webpage.
>
> So I had to go to the webpage and write them and they called back, twice
> even, and the first woman gave me to another woman who said that this
> was the system in the US for, I am told, all restaurants and tips, that
> the bill for the tip would come 3 or more days later.
>
> Has that been your experience?
>
> Do you think it's true of all restaurants wrt tips? What about other
> places where one tips?

This is pretty much standard with restaurants.

See
https://www.chase.com/personal/credit-cards/education/basics/how-does-tipping-on-credit-card-work

for some details

Re: Two-part restaurant billing.

<35qp2ihhn772sfkupjnftorddg2bisu30k@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=41355&group=alt.home.repair#41355

From: non...@none.invalid (Jim Joyce)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2023 22:21:50 -0500
 by: Jim Joyce - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 03:21 UTC

On Tue, 04 Apr 2023 20:27:22 -0400, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
wrote:

>Any of you ever go out to dinner?
>
>And charge the cost to a credit card?
>
>And add a tip after they bring you the bill?
>
>Sunday night I took 3 friends out to dinner and as usual I looked at the
>email from the cc company, and I remembered the amount and I had been
>billed the amount with no tip.
>
>I checked my cc account for 2 days and no change. I called the
>restaurant which put me on hold playing terrible music for 11 minutes.
>It also had urged me to write them from the webpage.
>
>So I had to go to the webpage and write them and they called back, twice
>even, and the first woman gave me to another woman who said that this
>was the system in the US for, I am told, all restaurants and tips, that
>the bill for the tip would come 3 or more days later.
>
>Has that been your experience?
>
>Do you think it's true of all restaurants wrt tips? What about other
>places where one tips?

I find 3 things to be interesting.

1. That you didn't know how tipping on a CC works. I'd have thought you
had experience with that by this stage in your life.

2. That you were concerned enough to call the restaurant. That boggles
my mind.

3. That you wrote a letter to investigate further. Mind boggling to the
next level.

Your life is very different from mine. :-)

Re: Two-part restaurant billing.

<u0jiao$3rs4c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=41362&group=alt.home.repair#41362

From: HapilyRe...@fakeaddress.com (Retirednoguilt)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 06:25:28 -0400
 by: Retirednoguilt - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 10:25 UTC

On 4/4/2023 8:27 PM, micky wrote:
> Any of you ever go out to dinner?
>
> And charge the cost to a credit card?
>
> And add a tip after they bring you the bill?
>
> Sunday night I took 3 friends out to dinner and as usual I looked at the
> email from the cc company, and I remembered the amount and I had been
> billed the amount with no tip.
>
> I checked my cc account for 2 days and no change. I called the
> restaurant which put me on hold playing terrible music for 11 minutes.
> It also had urged me to write them from the webpage.
>
> So I had to go to the webpage and write them and they called back, twice
> even, and the first woman gave me to another woman who said that this
> was the system in the US for, I am told, all restaurants and tips, that
> the bill for the tip would come 3 or more days later.
>
> Has that been your experience?
>
> Do you think it's true of all restaurants wrt tips? What about other
> places where one tips?

Never had that experience in any country. I live in the U.S. and have
charged almost all my restaurant meals for decades. My most common
experience is that I have one charge posted to my monthly account that
is the sum of the bill and the tip. However, commonly, the e-mail alert
from the bank (within a few minutes of having the bill prepared by
restaurant) only specifies the amount of the bill pre-tip. I've never
received a second e-mail alert for just the tip.

Re: Two-part restaurant billing.

<kXGdnRumCNpc_LD5nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=41365&group=alt.home.repair#41365

Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 07:55:44 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: ree...@rmi.net (retired1)
 by: retired1 - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 11:55 UTC

On 4/5/23 6:25 AM, Retirednoguilt wrote:
> On 4/4/2023 8:27 PM, micky wrote:
>> Any of you ever go out to dinner?
>>
>> And charge the cost to a credit card?
>>
>> And add a tip after they bring you the bill?
>>
>> Sunday night I took 3 friends out to dinner and as usual I looked at the
>> email from the cc company, and I remembered the amount and I had been
>> billed the amount with no tip.
>>
>> I checked my cc account for 2 days and no change.  I called the
>> restaurant which put me on hold playing terrible music for 11 minutes.
>> It also had urged me to write them from the webpage.
>>
>> So I had to go to the webpage and write them and they called back, twice
>> even, and the first woman gave me to another woman who said that this
>> was the system in the US for, I am told, all restaurants and tips, that
>> the bill for the tip would come 3 or more days later.
>>
>> Has that been your experience?
>>
>> Do you think it's true of all restaurants wrt tips?  What about other
>> places where one tips?
>>

> Never had that experience in any country.  I live in the U.S. and have
> charged almost all my restaurant meals for decades.  My most common
> experience is that I have one charge posted to my monthly account that
> is the sum of the bill and the tip.  However, commonly, the e-mail alert
> from the bank (within a few minutes of having the bill prepared by
> restaurant) only specifies the amount of the bill pre-tip.  I've never
> received a second e-mail alert for just the tip.

What dollar value have you selected for the alert to trigger on ? More
than a normal tip ? Mine is set for $1.00

Re: Two-part restaurant billing.

<LndXL.224815$OD18.131398@fx08.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=41366&group=alt.home.repair#41366

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: osc...@127.0.0.1 (Oscar)
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 07:58:16 -0400
 by: Oscar - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 11:58 UTC

micky wrote:
> Any of you ever go out to dinner?
>
> And charge the cost to a credit card?
>
> And add a tip after they bring you the bill?
>
> Sunday night I took 3 friends out to dinner and as usual I looked at the
> email from the cc company, and I remembered the amount and I had been
> billed the amount with no tip.
>
> I checked my cc account for 2 days and no change. I called the
> restaurant which put me on hold playing terrible music for 11 minutes.
> It also had urged me to write them from the webpage.
>
> So I had to go to the webpage and write them and they called back, twice
> even, and the first woman gave me to another woman who said that this
> was the system in the US for, I am told, all restaurants and tips, that
> the bill for the tip would come 3 or more days later.
>
> Has that been your experience?
>
> Do you think it's true of all restaurants wrt tips? What about other
> places where one tips?

I add the tip and pay by personal check.

--
If the left could compete in the realm of ideas, they wouldn't want to censor us.

If the left were truly a majority, they wouldn't need to censor us.

Re: Two-part restaurant billing.

<2frq2ita3j96gsmavg0m685nk5v2odu45i@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=41367&group=alt.home.repair#41367

From: hub...@ccanoemail.com
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2023 08:49:53 -0400
 by: hub...@ccanoemail.com - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 12:49 UTC

On Wed, 5 Apr 2023 07:58:16 -0400, Oscar <oscar@127.0.0.1> wrote:

>micky wrote:
>> Any of you ever go out to dinner?
>> And charge the cost to a credit card?
>> And add a tip after they bring you the bill?
>>

>I add the tip and pay by personal check.

LOL .. and you calculate the tip amount on your
abacus ? or your slide rule ?
John T.

Re: Two-part restaurant billing.

<hDeXL.1285521$gGD7.789324@fx11.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=41369&group=alt.home.repair#41369

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: jethro.b...@first-commerce-bank-beverly-hills.com (Jethro Bodine)
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 09:23:06 -0400
 by: Jethro Bodine - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 13:23 UTC

hubops@ccanoemail.com wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Apr 2023 07:58:16 -0400, Oscar <oscar@127.0.0.1> wrote:
>
>> micky wrote:
>>> Any of you ever go out to dinner?
>>> And charge the cost to a credit card?
>>> And add a tip after they bring you the bill?
>>>

>> I add the tip and pay by personal check.
>>

> LOL .. and you calculate the tip amount on your
> abacus ? or your slide rule ?
> John T.

LOL  You can't calculate a tip in your head?

--
If the left could compete in the realm of ideas, they wouldn't want to censor us.

If the left were truly a majority, they wouldn't need to censor us.

Re: Two-part restaurant billing.

<u0k91d$3v9cl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=41383&group=alt.home.repair#41383

From: HapilyRe...@fakeaddress.com (Retirednoguilt)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 12:53:00 -0400
 by: Retirednoguilt - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 16:53 UTC

On 4/5/2023 7:55 AM, retired1 wrote:
> On 4/5/23 6:25 AM, Retirednoguilt wrote:
>> On 4/4/2023 8:27 PM, micky wrote:
>>> Any of you ever go out to dinner?
>>>
>>> And charge the cost to a credit card?
>>>
>>> And add a tip after they bring you the bill?
>>>
>>> Sunday night I took 3 friends out to dinner and as usual I looked at the
>>> email from the cc company, and I remembered the amount and I had been
>>> billed the amount with no tip.
>>>
>>> I checked my cc account for 2 days and no change.  I called the
>>> restaurant which put me on hold playing terrible music for 11 minutes.
>>> It also had urged me to write them from the webpage.
>>>
>>> So I had to go to the webpage and write them and they called back, twice
>>> even, and the first woman gave me to another woman who said that this
>>> was the system in the US for, I am told, all restaurants and tips, that
>>> the bill for the tip would come 3 or more days later.
>>>
>>> Has that been your experience?
>>>
>>> Do you think it's true of all restaurants wrt tips?  What about other
>>> places where one tips?
>>>

>> Never had that experience in any country.  I live in the U.S. and have
>> charged almost all my restaurant meals for decades.  My most common
>> experience is that I have one charge posted to my monthly account that
>> is the sum of the bill and the tip.  However, commonly, the e-mail
>> alert from the bank (within a few minutes of having the bill prepared
>> by restaurant) only specifies the amount of the bill pre-tip.  I've
>> never received a second e-mail alert for just the tip.
>
> What dollar value have you selected for the alert to trigger on ? More
> than a normal tip ? Mine is set for $1.00

I don't remember exactly, but I have it set to record whatever was the
lowest amount the bank's on-line program allowed. However, it shouldn't
matter because the official monthly statement only shows one charge from
the restaurant, which is always the sum of the bill and my added-on tip.
I'd expect that if the restaurant submitted two charges, one for the
food and tax, and minutes later for my tip, they would appear as two
separate transactions on two separate lines. In any case, I always save
the card holder's copy of the charge receipt that I fill out exactly the
same (adding the tip) as the merchant's copy that I leave on the table.
When I get the monthly statement, I check to see that the amount charged
isn't higher than what I signed for on the merchant's copy of the charge
receipt. When I'm satisfied that there are no discrepancies, I shred
the receipts.

Re: Two-part restaurant billing.

<u0k9g2$3v9cl$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=41384&group=alt.home.repair#41384

From: HapilyRe...@fakeaddress.com (Retirednoguilt)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 13:00:50 -0400
 by: Retirednoguilt - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 17:00 UTC

On 4/5/2023 7:58 AM, Oscar wrote:
> micky wrote:
>> Any of you ever go out to dinner?
>>
>> And charge the cost to a credit card?
>>
>> And add a tip after they bring you the bill?
>>
>> Sunday night I took 3 friends out to dinner and as usual I looked at the
>> email from the cc company, and I remembered the amount and I had been
>> billed the amount with no tip.
>>
>> I checked my cc account for 2 days and no change.  I called the
>> restaurant which put me on hold playing terrible music for 11 minutes.
>> It also had urged me to write them from the webpage.
>>
>> So I had to go to the webpage and write them and they called back, twice
>> even, and the first woman gave me to another woman who said that this
>> was the system in the US for, I am told, all restaurants and tips, that
>> the bill for the tip would come 3 or more days later.
>>
>> Has that been your experience?
>>
>> Do you think it's true of all restaurants wrt tips?  What about other
>> places where one tips?
>>

> I add the tip and pay by personal check.

If you qualify for certain credit cards, you can receive a 3% bonus in
"points" that you can redeem at any time. I always redeem for a credit
to the account. It can really add up if you eat out a lot or have the
good fortune to be able to eat frequently at $$$ and $$$$ priced places.
It's really free money, especially because I've never been in a
restaurant in the U.S. that imposes a surcharge for payment with a
credit card (or a discount for paying in cash). Even if you claim your
dining costs as a business expense for tax purposes, the credit card
statement and card holder's receipt provides documentation if audited.

Re: Two-part restaurant billing.

<u0kcn9$3voqa$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=41390&group=alt.home.repair#41390

From: bobnos...@gmail.com (Bob F)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 10:55:52 -0700
 by: Bob F - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 17:55 UTC

On 4/5/2023 10:00 AM, Retirednoguilt wrote:
> On 4/5/2023 7:58 AM, Oscar wrote:
>> micky wrote:
>>> Any of you ever go out to dinner?
>>>
>>> And charge the cost to a credit card?
>>>
>>> And add a tip after they bring you the bill?
>>>
>>> Sunday night I took 3 friends out to dinner and as usual I looked at the
>>> email from the cc company, and I remembered the amount and I had been
>>> billed the amount with no tip.
>>>
>>> I checked my cc account for 2 days and no change.  I called the
>>> restaurant which put me on hold playing terrible music for 11 minutes.
>>> It also had urged me to write them from the webpage.
>>>
>>> So I had to go to the webpage and write them and they called back, twice
>>> even, and the first woman gave me to another woman who said that this
>>> was the system in the US for, I am told, all restaurants and tips, that
>>> the bill for the tip would come 3 or more days later.
>>>
>>> Has that been your experience?
>>>
>>> Do you think it's true of all restaurants wrt tips?  What about other
>>> places where one tips?
>>>

>> I add the tip and pay by personal check.
>>

> If you qualify for certain credit cards, you can receive a 3% bonus in
> "points" that you can redeem at any time.  I always redeem for a credit
> to the account.  It can really add up if you eat out a lot or have the
> good fortune to be able to eat frequently at $$$ and $$$$ priced places.
>  It's really free money, especially because I've never been in a
> restaurant in the U.S. that imposes a surcharge for payment with a
> credit card (or a discount for paying in cash).  Even if you claim your
> dining costs as a business expense for tax purposes, the credit card
> statement and card holder's receipt provides documentation if audited.

And it all comes out of the businesses income via CC fees.

Re: Two-part restaurant billing.

<08nr2i585tka1s3kk3c6fbqclt4jo9g03k@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=41404&group=alt.home.repair#41404

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2023 16:48:14 -0400
 by: micky - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 20:48 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 5 Apr 2023 09:23:06 -0400, Jethro Bodine
<jethro.bodine@first-commerce-bank-beverly-hills.com> wrote:

>If the left could compete in the realm of ideas, they wouldn't want to censor us.
>
>If the left were truly a majority, they wouldn't need to censor us.

Why do you use such a foolish signature?

Do you live in the USA? How have you not noticed that it's the RIGHT
that's doing the censorship.

Change left to right in your signature, read it back to yourself, and
maybe you will learn something.

WRT one example, Southerners, white southeners, even if their families
lived in the south before the Civil War, even if they owned slaves, are
not the same people as their ancestors and they are not responsible for
slavery or Jim Crow.

UNTIL, they try to erase the memory or slavery and Jim Crow. Once they
do that, the make themselves accessories to all the crimes of the
slaveholders and racists. They cast shame on themselves before their
own children and grandchildren, most of whom are not so stupid that they
won't figure it out and be ashamed of their parents.

Re: Two-part restaurant billing.

<u0ktfm$24uj$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=41415&group=alt.home.repair#41415

From: bobnos...@gmail.com (Bob F)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 15:41:58 -0700
 by: Bob F - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 22:41 UTC

On 4/5/2023 1:48 PM, micky wrote:
> In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 5 Apr 2023 09:23:06 -0400, Jethro Bodine
> <jethro.bodine@first-commerce-bank-beverly-hills.com> wrote:
>

>> If the left could compete in the realm of ideas, they wouldn't want to censor us.
>>
>> If the left were truly a majority, they wouldn't need to censor us.
>
> Why do you use such a foolish signature?
>
> Do you live in the USA? How have you not noticed that it's the RIGHT
> that's doing the censorship.
>
> Change left to right in your signature, read it back to yourself, and
> maybe you will learn something.
>

> WRT one example, Southerners, white southeners, even if their families
> lived in the south before the Civil War, even if they owned slaves, are
> not the same people as their ancestors and they are not responsible for
> slavery or Jim Crow.
>
> UNTIL, they try to erase the memory or slavery and Jim Crow. Once they
> do that, the make themselves accessories to all the crimes of the
> slaveholders and racists. They cast shame on themselves before their
> own children and grandchildren, most of whom are not so stupid that they
> won't figure it out and be ashamed of their parents.

That is just the standard GOP projection. They all do it all the time.

interests / alt.home.repair / Re: Two-part restaurant billing.