From: blue-b...@jan6.org (Call Hillary Ronen)
Newsgroups: alt.california,alt.politics.democrats,talk.politics.guns,talk.politics.misc,alt.law-enforcement
Subject: Re: Nearly naked prostitutes prowl streets in broad daylight, but California law ties police hands: mayor
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2024 20:31:03 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Call Hillary Ronen - Mon, 5 Feb 2024 20:31 UTC

On 06 Mar 2022, Lefty Lundquist <lefty_lundquist@ggmail.com> posted some

> Gavin Newsom is a complete fucking moron. His two bitches, Rob Bonta
> and Scott Weiner take turns fucking each other up the ass.

National City Mayor Ron Morrison says controversial new California law
caused brazen prostitution to spiral

Women wearing only "g-strings" while bending over in front of traffic
has become an increasingly common sight in National City, California, as
prostitution issues spiral after the implementation of a controversial
state law, the city�s mayor told Fox News Digital.

"They're waving to people on the freeway or, just to be honest with you,
they are bending over for the freeway. I don�t know how else to put it;
they're showing their wares," National City Mayor Ron Morrison told Fox
News Digital in an interview this month.

California Gov. Gavin Newsom signed Senate Bill 357 in July 2022, which
repealed a previous law that banned loitering with the intent to engage
in prostitution. The law took effect in January this year, with Morrison
arguing that the moment Newsom�s pen touched the bill, pimps in the
state knew they could expand their prostitution ventures with little
repercussions from law enforcement.

"The moment it was signed by the governor, boom, everyone knew the rules
were out the window," Morrison told Fox News Digital.

National City is a diverse working-class city of roughly 60,000 residents
just outside San Diego on the bay, Morrison said. Prostitution issues are
no stranger to the city, with the mayor explaining that as an urban area,
sex workers have been known to cross the San Diego city border � but never
at the rate he�s currently seeing.

"Very much beyond brazen," Morrison said of what he�s seeing on his
streets.

Prostitutes gather in a downtown area that faces a freeway and are most
often seen early in the morning and around 3 p.m. Morrison added that
another new California law that legalized jaywalking has compounded the
issues as some women stand in traffic to attract a john.

"I was driving on one of the streets the other day, and there's this young
lady standing there in the middle of the street wearing basically a G-
string, and that was it, and a couple pasties. But she's right in front of
my car, I couldn't move. So, I did ask her very politely, �Would you
please move out of the street?� And she looked at me and says, 'If you
don't want to talk to me, you can go around,'" Morrison said.

Businesses, ranging from mom-and-pop stores to national hotel chains, have
sounded off to the mayor that the prostitutes are driving away business
and have forced some businesses to refund families who were appalled at
seeing nearly naked women while on their California getaway.

Even a local school covered its windows after prostitutes were repeatedly
found hanging out near its gates, Morrison said.

The mayor argues that the issue comes down to Senate Bill 357, which he
called an "idiotic law" that should be known as the "Safe Streets for
Pimps Initiative," which has allegedly not only left his town and other
municipalities in the state dealing with an increase of sex workers on the
street, but it has also incentivized human trafficking.

"This one has just opened the doors to prostitution, sex trafficking,
child sex trading, I mean, you name it. This has obviously done that. And
I don't think anyone that is not just purely politically motivated could
disagree with that," Morrison said.

The mayor described himself as a "nonpartisan" who has worked at various
levels of government over more than 30 years, whose main focus is to "look
out for people in National City and their businesses" and not play
politics in Sacramento.

Senate Bill 357 was authored by Democrat state Sen. Scott Wiener, who
championed the bill as one that would help protect transgender women from
being targeted by police.

"[The previous law] allowed police officers to arrest a person, not based
on what they did but based solely on how a person looks," Wiener told
local media earlier this year. "So, an officer could arrest someone
because they were wearing tight clothing, high heels and extra lipstick."

Fox News Digital previously spoke with members of the Coalition to Abolish
Slavery and Trafficking (CAST), which is one of the largest and oldest
direct service providers for sex and labor trafficking survivors in the
U.S., who said they supported the bill "because we know that reducing the
criminalization of survivors will help prevent human trafficking."

"Traffickers rely on our systems to criminalize victims so that they are
unable to access safety due to their records and are vulnerable to
continued exploitation," Leigh LaChapelle, CAST's associate director of
survivor advocacy, told Fox News earlier this year after the law took
effect.

"The impact of these encounters with law enforcement reinforce already
heightened stigma when someone is arrested for this offense due to the
difficulties securing employment and safe housing with an arrest record
relating to the sex trade," LaChapelle added. "Violation of this
discriminatory law also puts immigrants in jeopardy of deportation, loss
of residency or denial of reentry due to a misdemeanor conviction."

Prostitution is still illegal in California, but Morrison said the new law
has effectively legalized the crime as police back off from intervening or
interacting with the women.

"Senate Bill 357, which for all intents and purposes made prostitution
legal because what it said is that officers can no longer contact people
based on the idea of loitering for the purpose of prostitution. So, it
basically tells the police your hands are off," Morrison said.

He noted that some of the girls on the street appear underaged, though the
amount of makeup the sex workers wear makes it difficult to gauge an age,
and the city has previously seen girls as young as 12 working on the
streets.

"A lot of the times [police] found out that these were juveniles � or that
they were basically being sex trafficked, and they could get them out of
that. Now, they basically have no legal opportunity to even talk to them,"
Morrison said.

With prostitution blatantly on the streets, other crimes have also
followed, including shootings and assaults. Morrison said that just weeks
ago an eight-month pregnant prostitute was kidnapped, beaten and raped.

"Those [crime incidents] go on our crime stats. We've had shootings,
everything else involving the prostitutes and the pimps. So, those crime
stats go on us. These people don't live here in National City and people
here don't want them, but we're getting the crime stats," he said.

Morrison said he is working with the local district attorney and the
police department to craft avenues on how to navigate the state laws while
cleaning up the streets. The police department has carried out "john
stings" in the past, but such operations require a team of roughly 30
officers, which would translate to half of the city�s police force, and
weeks of planning, Morrison said.

"People here are not happy about this in the least. And the problem is
they expect us locally to do something about it. And we're sitting here
with our hands behind our back with handcuffs on that Sacramento was
placed on us," Morrison said.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/nearly-naked-prostitutes-prowl-streets-broad-
daylight-california-law-ties-cops-hands-mayor