From: ef85f96f...@example.com (Old Matt)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: Re: generac sucks cease and desist
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 05:15:02 +0000
 by: Old Matt - Thu, 30 Mar 2023 05:15 UTC

I've had a miserable experience with GENERAC. Bought two generators, one failed after only a few uses (not full uses: just test uses, monthly). The recoil starter rope separated from the recoil handle when I pulled it; the rope went back into the unit -- handle stayed in my hand. Not good..
Contacted GENERAC; they sent list of service providers. Took the unit to two of them; both said they can't even LOOK at it for 5 or 6 weeks. Not good.
After several calls, I found a service provider which, about a week or so later, agreed to look at the unit. I took it to them; next day, it was ready and the technician dropped it at my home (good service!); told me the problem was that the assembler at the factory failed to properly knot the recoil starter rope in the handle, which is why it came out.
$160.00. I paid them and sent a copy of the receipt to GENERAC. It's warranted, after all.
Then, reality set in: Long story, short version. About a dozen emails to GENERAC; got the runaround: "Referring it to our Case Review Team." Never heard from the "Team." This went on for 4 months or more.
Finally, I sent ANOTHER email to GENERAC and to:
Mr. Aaron Jagdfeld, CEO, GENERAC Power Systems
Several days later (yesterday), I got a phone call from "Maddie." She informed me that the company is reimbursing the $160.00. Good.
Then, reality: Not send the money to me; sending it to the service center. I had already paid them. It didn't matter to GENERAC. No plausible explanation.
And it will take them "one or two weeks" to send the money.
I decided not to hold my breath; instead, I sent an email to the service center, alerting them.
Next day (today, 3/29/23), I got an email from the service center, telling me THEY are immediately sending me $160.00. I believe them.
Good service center (assuming I get the money); lousy GENERAC company.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/generac-sucks-cease-and-desist-548216-.htm

Re: generac sucks cease and desist

<17512d0bbac7c26a$1$746483$baa1ecb3@news.newsdemon.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=40908&group=alt.home.repair#40908

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: ben.veri...@fact.checker-org (Ben Verified - ✅)
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 06:54:23 -0400
 by: Ben Verified - ✅ - Thu, 30 Mar 2023 10:54 UTC

Old Matt wrote:
> I've had a miserable experience with GENERAC. Bought two generators,
> one failed after only a few uses (not full uses: just test uses,
> monthly).  The recoil starter rope separated from the recoil handle
> when I pulled it; the rope went back into the unit -- handle stayed in
> my hand. Not good..
> Contacted GENERAC; they sent list of service providers. Took the unit
> to two of them; both said they can't even LOOK at it for 5 or 6 weeks.
> Not good.
> After several calls, I found a service provider which, about a week or
> so later, agreed to look at the unit. I took it to them; next day, it
> was ready and the technician dropped it at my home (good service!);
> told me the problem was that the assembler at the factory failed to
> properly knot the recoil starter rope in the handle, which is why it
> came out.
> $160.00.  I paid them and sent a copy of the receipt to GENERAC. It's
> warranted, after all.
> Then, reality set in: Long story, short version. About a dozen emails
> to GENERAC; got the runaround: "Referring it to our Case Review Team."
> Never heard from the "Team." This went on for 4 months or more.
> Finally, I sent ANOTHER email to GENERAC and to:
>     Mr. Aaron Jagdfeld, CEO, GENERAC Power Systems
> Several days later (yesterday), I got a phone call from "Maddie." She
> informed me that the company is reimbursing the $160.00. Good.
> Then, reality: Not send the money to me; sending it to the service
> center. I had already paid them. It didn't matter to GENERAC. No
> plausible explanation.
> And it will take them "one or two weeks" to send the money.
> I decided not to hold my breath; instead, I sent an email to the
> service center, alerting them.
> Next day (today, 3/29/23), I got an email from the service center,
> telling me THEY are immediately sending me $160.00. I believe them.
> Good service center (assuming I get the money); lousy GENERAC company.

Next time, ask Chickanic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqoD25a1K3w

Re: generac sucks cease and desist

<MPG.3e8f77a9cef212de989d9a@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=40936&group=alt.home.repair#40936

From: rmower...@charter.net (Ralph Mowery)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 11:41:19 -0400
 by: Ralph Mowery - Thu, 30 Mar 2023 15:41 UTC

In article <17512d0bbac7c26a$1$746483$baa1ecb3@news.newsdemon.com>,
ben.verified@fact.checker-org says...

> Next time, ask Chickanic
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqoD25a1K3w

I have watched lots of her small engine repairs. They have taught me a
lot and I have repaired several of the small engines on generators and
chain saws I have.
Hard to believe they would charge $ 160 just to put the handle back on.
I replaced the rope on my 5 kw generator a few years back for a couple
of dollars.

Seems to be in the same over priced repairs I have been charged. Such
as was quoted $ 1800 to replace an electric water heater, another
company did it for $ 950. The labor was only $ 200 for 2 men to spend
just under 2 hours to do the job. The other was $ 350 to replace a $ 20
capacitor on the heat pump. Took the man less than half an hour to find
the problem and replace the capacitor.

Re: generac sucks cease and desist

<u04cao$uf65$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=40943&group=alt.home.repair#40943

From: HapilyRe...@fakeaddress.com (Retirednoguilt)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 12:11:02 -0400
 by: Retirednoguilt - Thu, 30 Mar 2023 16:11 UTC

On 3/30/2023 11:41 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
> In article <17512d0bbac7c26a$1$746483$baa1ecb3@news.newsdemon.com>,
> ben.verified@fact.checker-org says...
>>>

>> Next time, ask Chickanic
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqoD25a1K3w
>>

> I have watched lots of her small engine repairs. They have taught me a
> lot and I have repaired several of the small engines on generators and
> chain saws I have.
> Hard to believe they would charge $ 160 just to put the handle back on.
> I replaced the rope on my 5 kw generator a few years back for a couple
> of dollars.
>
> Seems to be in the same over priced repairs I have been charged. Such
> as was quoted $ 1800 to replace an electric water heater, another
> company did it for $ 950. The labor was only $ 200 for 2 men to spend
> just under 2 hours to do the job. The other was $ 350 to replace a $ 20
> capacitor on the heat pump. Took the man less than half an hour to find
> the problem and replace the capacitor.

Some people in any business will try to scalp their customers. But,
sometimes you're paying for the person's knowledge and experience. Two
examples: (1) you go to a well regarded restaurant and pay $25 for a
main course; yet the ingredients may cost only $5; and (2) you go to an
outpatient surgery office and are charged $1,000 for a procedure that
only takes 20 minutes and uses only $75 worth of disposable equipment
and supplies. Bottom line: if you knew how to reliably and safely do
it yourself, you'd do it. I'm not saying this to excuse over-charging;
just to say that often the charges are reasonable considering the whole
picture.

Re: generac sucks cease and desist

<MPG.3e8f92aef9f0fb8989d9e@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=40953&group=alt.home.repair#40953

From: rmower...@charter.net (Ralph Mowery)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 13:36:54 -0400
 by: Ralph Mowery - Thu, 30 Mar 2023 17:36 UTC

In article <u04cao$uf65$1@dont-email.me>, HapilyRetired@fakeaddress.com
says...

> Some people in any business will try to scalp their customers. But,
> sometimes you're paying for the person's knowledge and experience. Two
> examples: (1) you go to a well regarded restaurant and pay $25 for a
> main course; yet the ingredients may cost only $5; and (2) you go to an
> outpatient surgery office and are charged $1,000 for a procedure that
> only takes 20 minutes and uses only $75 worth of disposable equipment
> and supplies. Bottom line: if you knew how to reliably and safely do
> it yourself, you'd do it. I'm not saying this to excuse over-charging;
> just to say that often the charges are reasonable considering the whole
> picture.

Yes, you go to a local coffee shop and pay $ 2.00 and a place like
Starbucks and pay $8.00. Same basic thing but you get the pleasure of
saying you went to Starbucks.

One can paint a picture for say around $ 100 worth of paint and not sell
it for $ 50 but Hunter Biden sold his for $ 500,000. Take a baseball
that was hit by say Babe Ruth. Not worth hardly anything unless you can
prove it was his 60 th home run ball. That thing might be worth over a
million at an auction. I heard that some hotel maids would fight over
cleaning the room where a famous person stayed in hopes of gettig some
hair that may have fallen out.

After I retired 6 months later I got a call wanting me to come back to
work for a special project. I told them I would for $ 2 an hour. They
said they would only pay me $ 1 an hour. I told them while I was workig
I got $ 1 an hour but the company claimed with thr benefits I was really
getting $ 2 an hour. I would not work for less than $ 2 an hourso
declined the job. Saw some of the fellow workers about a year later and
was told that it took the company a lot lomger as they had to get some
others in with the knowlege of how to do things that I should have known
how to do.Real wages have been changed to the ratio to protect the
actual pay.

It is one thing to charge a reasonable amount and another to be ripped
off. I go to the dentist and get my teeth cleaned . The charge is
about $ 75 for half an hour labor. The dentist comes in for about 5
minutes and charges the same. The hygenist does a lot more work, but
her schooling is a lot less. The dentist has much more schooling and
should know what to look for and how to correct anything he does find.

Ripoff is where one shop charges $ 1800 and another shop charges $ 950
to to the same work. Same as when I had my house reroofed. I got 4
bids. Two were $ 9000, one was $ 12,000 and another was $ 18,000. They
were all similar shingles and the same number of years warrenty. All
companies had been in business for over 25 years.

Re: generac sucks cease and desist

<u06lie$1drpr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=41034&group=alt.home.repair#41034

From: HapilyRe...@fakeaddress.com (Retirednoguilt)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 09:01:00 -0400
 by: Retirednoguilt - Fri, 31 Mar 2023 13:01 UTC

On 3/30/2023 1:36 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
> In article <u04cao$uf65$1@dont-email.me>, HapilyRetired@fakeaddress.com
> says...
>>
>> Some people in any business will try to scalp their customers. But,
>> sometimes you're paying for the person's knowledge and experience. Two
>> examples: (1) you go to a well regarded restaurant and pay $25 for a
>> main course; yet the ingredients may cost only $5; and (2) you go to an
>> outpatient surgery office and are charged $1,000 for a procedure that
>> only takes 20 minutes and uses only $75 worth of disposable equipment
>> and supplies. Bottom line: if you knew how to reliably and safely do
>> it yourself, you'd do it. I'm not saying this to excuse over-charging;
>> just to say that often the charges are reasonable considering the whole
>> picture.
>>

> Yes, you go to a local coffee shop and pay $ 2.00 and a place like
> Starbucks and pay $8.00. Same basic thing but you get the pleasure of
> saying you went to Starbucks.
>
> One can paint a picture for say around $ 100 worth of paint and not sell
> it for $ 50 but Hunter Biden sold his for $ 500,000. Take a baseball
> that was hit by say Babe Ruth. Not worth hardly anything unless you can
> prove it was his 60 th home run ball. That thing might be worth over a
> million at an auction. I heard that some hotel maids would fight over
> cleaning the room where a famous person stayed in hopes of gettig some
> hair that may have fallen out.
>

> After I retired 6 months later I got a call wanting me to come back to
> work for a special project. I told them I would for $ 2 an hour. They
> said they would only pay me $ 1 an hour. I told them while I was workig
> I got $ 1 an hour but the company claimed with thr benefits I was really
> getting $ 2 an hour. I would not work for less than $ 2 an hourso
> declined the job. Saw some of the fellow workers about a year later and
> was told that it took the company a lot lomger as they had to get some
> others in with the knowlege of how to do things that I should have known
> how to do.Real wages have been changed to the ratio to protect the
> actual pay.
>
> It is one thing to charge a reasonable amount and another to be ripped
> off. I go to the dentist and get my teeth cleaned . The charge is
> about $ 75 for half an hour labor. The dentist comes in for about 5
> minutes and charges the same. The hygenist does a lot more work, but
> her schooling is a lot less. The dentist has much more schooling and
> should know what to look for and how to correct anything he does find.
>
> Ripoff is where one shop charges $ 1800 and another shop charges $ 950
> to to the same work. Same as when I had my house reroofed. I got 4
> bids. Two were $ 9000, one was $ 12,000 and another was $ 18,000. They
> were all similar shingles and the same number of years warrenty. All
> companies had been in business for over 25 years.

Ah! The trials and tribulations of living in a country with a
capitalist economy :-). (Just consider the alternative; no thank you.
I've traveled to countries that have government controlled economies.)
No current system is ideal. We can only work to improve the system we
believe to be better than the alternatives.

interests / alt.home.repair / Re: generac sucks cease and desist