19 May, 2024: Line wrapping has been changed to be more consistent with Usenet standards.

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 9, Rounds 4,6: TO schools and Blue Jays

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 9, Rounds 4,6: TO schools and Blue JaysMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 9, Rounds 4,6: TO schools and Blue JaysJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 9, Rounds 4,6: TO schools and Blue JaysPete Gayde
`- RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 9, Rounds 4,6 answers: TO schools and Blue JaysMark Brader

1
RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 9, Rounds 4,6: TO schools and Blue Jays

<mL6cnfz_hc2kOHH_nZ2dnZfqn_jNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4081&group=rec.games.trivia#4081

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 9, Rounds 4,6: TO schools and Blue Jays
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2022 05:06:01 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 5 Aug 2022 05:06 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-07-09,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of What She Said and/or of Smith & Guessin', but have
been reformatted and may have been retyped and/or edited by me.
I will reveal the correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 9, Round 4 - Canadiana Geography - Toronto Collegiates

We'll give you the location of a Toronto District School Board
high school, and you name the school. Note that the schools are in
*alphabetical order*, and """all end with "Collegiate Institute""""
(which you can omit). The pre-amalgamation municipality is shown
if it is not Toronto.

1. 17 Broadway Av.
2. 209 Jameson Av.
3. 730 Eglinton Av. W.
4. 1094 Gerrard St. E.
5. 100 Pine St., York.
6. 991 St. Clair Av. W.
7. """1141 Bloor St. W."""
8. 650 Cosburn Av., East York.
9. 135 Overlea Blvd., North York.
10. 3663 Danforth Av., Scarborough.

* Game 9, Round 6 - Sports - Blue Jays: No Tom, No Dick, No Harry

We'll give you the last name of a """current""" or former Blue Jay,
and a bit more information. You give us the player's first name,
as commonly used by the team.

1. Pitcher Valdéz.
2. Outfielder Wise.
3. Outfielder Berroa.
4. Third baseman Iorg.
5. 2012 infielder Gomes.
6. Outfielder Maldonado.
7. Right fielder Mondesí.
8. Third baseman Mulliniks.
9. Pitcher (and writer) Hayhurst.
10. """Current""" utility outfielder Davis.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Every new technology carries with it an opportunity
msb@vex.net | to invent a new crime" -- Laurence A. Urgenson

Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 9, Rounds 4,6: TO schools and Blue Jays

<af14dabb-8126-4743-9385-3c2da11a4f6en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4085&group=rec.games.trivia#4085

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2022 20:07:21 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Sat, 6 Aug 2022 03:07 UTC

On Friday, August 5, 2022 at 12:07:05 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 9, Round 4 - Canadiana Geography - Toronto Collegiates
>
> We'll give you the location of a Toronto District School Board
> high school, and you name the school.

I'll take a pass on this one.
> * Game 9, Round 6 - Sports - Blue Jays: No Tom, No Dick, No Harry
>
> We'll give you the last name of a """current""" or former Blue Jay,
> and a bit more information. You give us the player's first name,
> as commonly used by the team.
>
> 4. Third baseman Iorg.

Garth

> 7. Right fielder Mondesí.

Raul

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 9, Rounds 4,6: TO schools and Blue Jays

<tcp9oq$ii2$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4089&group=rec.games.trivia#4089

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2022 16:10:50 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Sun, 7 Aug 2022 21:10 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-07-09,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of What She Said and/or of Smith & Guessin', but have
> been reformatted and may have been retyped and/or edited by me.
> I will reveal the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 9, Round 4 - Canadiana Geography - Toronto Collegiates
>
> We'll give you the location of a Toronto District School Board
> high school, and you name the school. Note that the schools are in
> *alphabetical order*, and """all end with "Collegiate Institute""""
> (which you can omit). The pre-amalgamation municipality is shown
> if it is not Toronto.
>
> 1. 17 Broadway Av.
> 2. 209 Jameson Av.
> 3. 730 Eglinton Av. W.
> 4. 1094 Gerrard St. E.
> 5. 100 Pine St., York.
> 6. 991 St. Clair Av. W.
> 7. """1141 Bloor St. W."""
> 8. 650 Cosburn Av., East York.
> 9. 135 Overlea Blvd., North York.
> 10. 3663 Danforth Av., Scarborough.
>

> * Game 9, Round 6 - Sports - Blue Jays: No Tom, No Dick, No Harry
>
> We'll give you the last name of a """current""" or former Blue Jay,
> and a bit more information. You give us the player's first name,
> as commonly used by the team.
>
> 1. Pitcher Valdéz.
> 2. Outfielder Wise.
> 3. Outfielder Berroa.

Geronimo

> 4. Third baseman Iorg.

Garth

> 5. 2012 infielder Gomes.
> 6. Outfielder Maldonado.

Candy

> 7. Right fielder Mondesí.

Raul

> 8. Third baseman Mulliniks.

Rance

> 9. Pitcher (and writer) Hayhurst.

Ryan

> 10. """Current""" utility outfielder Davis.

Rajai

Pete Gayde

RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 9, Rounds 4,6 answers: TO schools and Blue Jays

<MKicnXkqjLif6Gz_nZ2dnZfqnPjNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4090&group=rec.games.trivia#4090

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIWSSSG12 Game 9, Rounds 4,6 answers: TO schools and Blue Jays
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2022 20:41:38 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 8 Aug 2022 20:41 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-07-09,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2021-07-20 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 9, Round 4 - Canadiana Geography - Toronto Collegiates

> We'll give you the location of a Toronto District School Board
> high school, and you name the school. Note that the schools are in
> *alphabetical order*, and """all end with "Collegiate Institute""""
> (which you can omit). The pre-amalgamation municipality is shown
> if it is not Toronto.

> 1. 17 Broadway Av.

North Toronto. (*Not* Northern, which is at 851 Mt. Pleasant Rd. and
is a "Secondary School" rather than a "Collegiate Institute".)

> 2. 209 Jameson Av.

Parkdale.

> 3. 730 Eglinton Av. W.

Forest Hill.

> 4. 1094 Gerrard St. E.

Riverdale.

> 5. 100 Pine St., York.

Weston.

> 6. 991 St. Clair Av. W.

Oakwood.

> 7. """1141 Bloor St. W."""

Bloor. (Yes! But that building is up for demolition, and until
their new building is finished, the school is temporarily sharing
a building with Central Technical School at 725 Bathurst St.)

> 8. 650 Cosburn Av., East York.

East York. (Yes!)

> 9. 135 Overlea Blvd., North York.

Marc Garneau.

> 10. 3663 Danforth Av., Scarborough.

Birchmount Park.

> * Game 9, Round 6 - Sports - Blue Jays: No Tom, No Dick, No Harry

> We'll give you the last name of a """current""" or former Blue Jay,
> and a bit more information. You give us the player's first name,
> as commonly used by the team.

This was the hardest round in the original game.

> 1. Pitcher Valdéz.

Merkin.

> 2. Outfielder Wise.

Dewayne.

> 3. Outfielder Berroa.

Gerónimo. 4 for Pete.

> 4. Third baseman Iorg.

Garth. (Not Dane; he never played for the Blue Jays.) 4 for Joshua
and Pete.

> 5. 2012 infielder Gomes.

Yan.

> 6. Outfielder Maldonado.

Candy. 4 for Pete.

> 7. Right fielder Mondesí.

Raúl. 4 for Joshua and Pete.

> 8. Third baseman Mulliniks.

Rance. 4 for Pete.

> 9. Pitcher (and writer) Hayhurst.

Dirk.

> 10. """Current""" utility outfielder Davis.

Rajai. (He left the team in 2014.) 4 for Pete.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 9 ROUNDS-> 2 3 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> His Lit Spo
Joshua Kreitzer 32 28 8 68
Dan Blum 23 28 -- 51
Dan Tilque 16 16 -- 32
Pete Gayde -- -- 24 24
Erland Sommarskog 8 0 -- 8

--
Mark Brader | "There is a pervasive illusion in certain quarters
Toronto | that Mother Nature is our friend. Wrong; dead wrong.