Nothing in life is to be feared. It is only to be understood.

interests / alt.law-enforcement / Re: Sarah Yarborough's killer had been in prison for attacking another woman, but was released early

SubjectAuthor
o Re: Sarah Yarborough's killer had been in prison for attackinga425couple

1
Re: Sarah Yarborough's killer had been in prison for attacking another woman, but was released early

<c1N6N.61535$BbXa.29745@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4005&group=alt.law-enforcement#4005

Subject: Re: Sarah Yarborough's killer had been in prison for attacking
another woman, but was released early
Newsgroups: seattle.politics,talk.politics.guns,talk.rape,or.politics,alt.law-enforcement
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 09:52:07 -0800
 by: a425couple - Mon, 20 Nov 2023 17:52 UTC

On 11/18/23 21:20, Blue state failures wrote:
> [...]
> clothing. Nicholas was arrested and charged with the murder of Sarah
> Yarborough.
>
> Soon after Nicholas' arrest, police in nearby Oregon knocked on the door
> of Anne Croney and told her that detectives in Seattle were interested in
> talking to her. Croney knew Nicholas because eight years before Sarah
> Yarborough was murdered, he had held Croney at knifepoint.
>
> In June 1983, Croney had gone to a park by the riverfront in Richland,
> Washington, to think by the water. She was sitting on the hood of her car,
> when a young man approached her and started up a conversation. He said his
> name was Pat Nicholas, and they chatted for a bit about the area. Croney
> asked him if he had gone water skiing in the river yet since it was a
> popular thing to do there, but Nicholas replied that he couldn't swim.
>
> Soon Croney noticed Nicholas' voice was becoming shaky, and she became
> uncomfortable. She said she had to go and went to the driver's seat of her
> car. As Croney went to start up the engine, Nicholas came around to the
> driver's side of the car and put a knife to her throat. He ordered her to
> take of her clothes, then stuffed her underwear into her mouth to prevent
> her from screaming. He proceeded to walk her down to the secluded area by
> the riverbank. About halfway down, Croney remembered Nicholas couldn't
> swim, and took off — diving into the river and swimming out as far as she
> could. "I swam for my life," says Croney.
>
> Nicholas was soon arrested and pleaded guilty to attempting to rape
> Croney. Police learned that he had recently been released from a nearby
> treatment facility, where he had served time as a juvenile for raping two
> women and attempted to rape a third. Multiple victims had been approached
> near their cars, where Nicholas would strike up conversation with them,
> pull a knife, order them to undress and rape them.
>
> While in police custody for the attack on Croney, Nicholas admitted to
> police that "I realize that I have a problem concerning raping girls. I
> was going to force the girl to have sex with me that day in the park, and
> I realize that is not right. I want help for my problem." Croney spoke at
> Nicholas' sentencing hearing, and a judge sentenced him to the maximum
> term: 10 years in prison. Croney thought justice had been served and
> moved on with her life, hardly thinking of Nicholas.
>
> But that all changed in 2019, when detectives told Croney about what had
> happened to Sarah Yarborough. In her first interview about the case,
> Croney tells Morales that learning of Sarah's murder changed her entire
> outlook on what had happened to her. "I was crushed," says Croney. "It had
> never occurred to me that what I escaped from was a murderer."
>
> What's more, Croney believed that Nicholas had served the full 10 years of
> his prison sentence. But he hadn't. He had been released on parole after
> just three-and-a-half years. "48 Hours" reviewed copies of Nicholas' file

Only 3 1/2 years. Unbeliebable!