From: joh...@not.my.add (john)
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.dirt
Subject: advice solicited
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2021 21:16:42 -0400
 by: john - Sat, 1 May 2021 01:16 UTC

okay i'm an older gentlemen rider
(yes i have hiking boots & 3/4 white helmet.)
i ride slow and such (most of the time)
and i'm being thrown into the street riding scene after a 30+ yrs absence.

new ride will be a Harley full dress big ass bike and i'm used to doing
slow TST 215lbs bike stuff and sporting a 800 lbs bike is well going to
be different.
planning on doing some parking lot figure 8's but what else should i do
to protect my stupid monkey butt self????????
yes i know llamas are out to get you (thank you rmd) so i'll stay off of
super hunky back roads. what else should i be doing to prepare for
exploding Tesla's & the like.
john
various toys (all out to get me)

Re: advice solicited

<s6idug$tei$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=37&group=rec.motorcycles.dirt#37

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.dirt
Subject: Re: advice solicited
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2021 19:21:03 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Sat, 1 May 2021 02:21 UTC

On 04/30/2021 06:16 PM, john wrote:
> okay i'm an older gentlemen rider
> (yes i have hiking boots & 3/4 white helmet.)
> i ride slow and such (most of the time)
> and i'm being thrown into the street riding scene after a 30+ yrs absence.
>
> new ride will be a Harley full dress big ass bike and i'm used to doing
> slow TST 215lbs bike stuff and sporting a 800 lbs bike is well going to
> be different.
> planning on doing some parking lot figure 8's but what else should i do
> to protect my stupid monkey butt self????????
> yes i know llamas are out to get you (thank you rmd) so i'll stay off of
> super hunky back roads. what else should i be doing to prepare for
> exploding Tesla's & the like.
> john
> various toys (all out to get me)

I can't imagine anyone better able to give you advice than The Big Guy...

--
Cheers, Bev
Please hassle me, I thrive on stress.

Re: advice solicited

<f9118a4a-8344-4884-8dbe-2efd9b913aden@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=38&group=rec.motorcycles.dirt#38

Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.dirt
Date: Sat, 1 May 2021 09:35:51 -0700 (PDT)
From: sturd.vi...@gmail.com (Michael Sturdevant)
 by: Michael Sturdevant - Sat, 1 May 2021 16:35 UTC

john asks:

> > planning on doing some parking lot figure 8's but what else should i do
> > to protect my stupid monkey butt self????????

Braking exercises. Get up to 10-15 mph, brake as hard as you can. Learn the limit
of traction on the front. If it has ABS, learn what that feels like. Up the speed and
do it some more. You want to gain confidence in your right hand being able to hold
the front wheel on the limit of traction. If it's sliding a little, you're there. If not keep trying.

On that thing, you may want to do the same exercises with the rear. It may not transfer
enough weight to the front to make the rear brake useless and if that's true, learn to use
what it's got.

TTr you can use for practice too. Get going 10-15 and lock up the front but stay on the gas.
Ride it around that way with the front sliding. In 2" snow it's easy. Will let you learn what a sliding
front feels like and how to keep riding (instead of falling) while it's sliding.

On another note, you might get a bandana and a Harley tattoo to protect you from a real
Harley guy.

Go fast. Take chances.
Mike S.

Re: advice solicited

<s6nl21$1ebn$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=39&group=rec.motorcycles.dirt#39

From: joh...@not.my.add (john)
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.dirt
Date: Sun, 2 May 2021 21:53:07 -0400
 by: john - Mon, 3 May 2021 01:53 UTC

On 5/1/21 12:35 PM, Michael Sturdevant wrote:
> john asks:
>
>>> planning on doing some parking lot figure 8's but what else should i do
>>> to protect my stupid monkey butt self????????
>
> Braking exercises. Get up to 10-15 mph, brake as hard as you can. Learn the limit
> of traction on the front. If it has ABS, learn what that feels like. Up the speed and
> do it some more. You want to gain confidence in your right hand being able to hold
> the front wheel on the limit of traction. If it's sliding a little, you're there. If not keep trying.
>
> On that thing, you may want to do the same exercises with the rear. It may not transfer
> enough weight to the front to make the rear brake useless and if that's true, learn to use
> what it's got.
>
> TTr you can use for practice too. Get going 10-15 and lock up the front but stay on the gas.
> Ride it around that way with the front sliding. In 2" snow it's easy. Will let you learn what a sliding
> front feels like and how to keep riding (instead of falling) while it's sliding.
>
> On another note, you might get a bandana and a Harley tattoo to protect you from a real
> Harley guy.
>
> Go fast. Take chances.
> Mike S.

front slides are very strange/scary, used to do those
in the snow with a 76 husky 360 (evil bike)
it's been since the 80's since i;ve street rode.. H-1,
rz350, kaw turbo, cb750, norton, they all had marginal brakes.
i plan to do the cones at the local parking lot or
drive it to my factory and practice there.. the braking
drills are on the list after i get a feel for the
clutch and the drag the front brake low speed stuff
john

Re: advice solicited

<s6nl4j$1ebn$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=40&group=rec.motorcycles.dirt#40

From: joh...@not.my.add (john)
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.dirt
Date: Sun, 2 May 2021 21:54:30 -0400
 by: john - Mon, 3 May 2021 01:54 UTC

On 4/30/21 10:21 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 04/30/2021 06:16 PM, john wrote:
>> okay i'm an older gentlemen rider
>> (yes i have hiking boots & 3/4 white helmet.)
>> i ride slow and such (most of the time)
>> and i'm being thrown into the street riding scene after a 30+ yrs
>> absence.
>>
>> new ride will be a Harley full dress big ass bike and i'm used to doing
>> slow TST 215lbs bike stuff and sporting a 800 lbs bike is well going to
>> be different.
>> planning on doing some parking lot figure 8's but what else should i do
>> to protect my stupid monkey butt self????????
>> yes i know llamas are out to get you (thank you rmd) so i'll stay off of
>> super hunky back roads. what else should i be doing to prepare for
>> exploding Tesla's & the like.
>> john
>>     various toys (all out to get me)
>
> I can't imagine anyone better able to give you advice than The Big Guy...

good idea, i'll call him after i pick it up.
john