Newsgroups: rec.puzzles
Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2022 10:13:01 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: A puzzle in the mahket
From: henha...@gmail.com (henh...@gmail.com)
 by: henh...@gmail.com - Sat, 6 Aug 2022 17:13 UTC

On Tuesday, June 30, 2020 at 7:55:27 PM UTC-7, Eric Sosman wrote:
> On 6/30/2020 9:59 PM, gerson wrote:

> >> Chicargo
> >
> > I think you're on the right track, but a few hundred miles off.
> > Further hint (or giveaway): Where might you pahk youah cah?
> >
> > Boston ?
> Give the man a cigah!
>
> (It is a regional habit to drop the R after many vowel sounds,
> so "avocados" sounds the way "avocardos" would be pronounced were the
> latter a word. Some supermarket employee, instructed to make a sign
> for the "avocado" sale, spelled it with the R he was sure ought to
> have been there. I mean, theah.)
>
> (It turns out my sainted mother may have been insufficiently
> exposed to other regions. She was raised in the mid-Atlantic states,
> educated in the Midwest, and eventually settled in the Northeast;
> only in the last did she note the dropped R. However, Wikipedia
> mentions <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhoticity_in_English> several
> other locales where droppage is common: The deep South, Britain, and
> a few of those no-'count south-of-the-Equator backwaters. In her
> defense, and to her possible credit, it must be said she never visited
> them for any length of time.)
>
> (Time to don my flameproof ovahcoat, I think.)
> --
> eso...@comcast-dot-net.invalid
> Trump stars as The Lyin' King.
> Two hundred four days to go.

Epenthetic "r": "Epenthesis" is the linguistic process of inserting a sound into a word that doesn't already have it. In Appalachian English, epenthetic "r" refers to "r" inserted into word after the "ah" sound, described phonetically as a low back vowel.

https://linguistics.stackexchange.com/questions/6627/what-is-the-cause-of-the-epenthetic-r-in-warsh

[Epenthetic R] is common all over America, i think

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Baltimore_accent

Epenthetic /r/ often occurs; notably, wash is pronounced as [wɑɻʃ], popularly written as warsh, and Washington is pronounced as Warshington.