Hollywood is where if you don't have happiness you send out for it. -- Rex Reed

interests / alt.home.repair / Re: OT Roberto Clemente book banned

SubjectAuthor
* OT Roberto Clemente book bannedEd Pawlowski
+- OT Roberto Clemente book bannedmicky
`* OT Roberto Clemente book bannedbruce bowser
 `* OT Roberto Clemente book bannedFrank
  `- OT Roberto Clemente book bannedOscar

1
OT Roberto Clemente book banned

<nucGL.832037$9sn9.358238@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=38477&group=alt.home.repair#38477

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed Pawlowski)
Subject: OT Roberto Clemente book banned
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 16:03:14 -0500
 by: Ed Pawlowski - Sun, 12 Feb 2023 21:03 UTC

The state of Florida is not allowing Clemente's book in school
libraries. If a teacher makes it available to students she will be
arrested for a felony.

This is part of the governor assuring we have "freedom"

https://www.axios.com/2023/02/10/florida-school-district-book-roberto-clemente-crt

Catch up fast: Florida is one of 19 states that have passed laws or used
executive orders to limit the teaching of what it calls "divisive
concepts" or critical race theory since 2021, according to data from the
National Conference of State Legislatures, the American Instructional
Resources Survey and an Axios analysis of recent stories.

The restrictions have forced schools to remove conventional books on
civil rights, even if they have nothing to do with graduate-level
critical race theory conceptions.
Following criticism from Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) and other
conservative politicians, the College Board recently changed the
curriculum for its new Advanced Placement African American Studies
course, excluding concepts such as Black Lives Matter and reparations.

Re: OT Roberto Clemente book banned

<q03juh94gbbb4ibijnc0633ko21ol89ha6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=38498&group=alt.home.repair#38498

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: Re: OT Roberto Clemente book banned
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 20:49:24 -0500
 by: micky - Mon, 13 Feb 2023 01:49 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 12 Feb 2023 16:03:14 -0500, Ed Pawlowski
<esp@snet.xxx> wrote:

>The state of Florida is not allowing Clemente's book in school
>libraries. If a teacher makes it available to students she will be
>arrested for a felony.

I can see how they could make that a violation of an employment rule, at
least if it's done during work hours and maybe anytime, but I have a
hard time imag ining Roberto Clemente wrote anything that could be
Contributing to the Deliquency of a Minor, and that's the only basis I
can imagine for calling it a crime. Anything else is free speech.

Of course, most teachers don't want to be a test case. What if the ACLU
doesn't take the case for some reason and he has to pay his own lawyer
thousands.

The book is only 32 pages. Unaccustomeed as I am to reading anything
longer than a Usenet post, I could actually read 32 pages. If I can
find them. I hope it doesn't make me a deqlinquent.

>This is part of the governor assuring we have "freedom"
>
>https://www.axios.com/2023/02/10/florida-school-district-book-roberto-clemente-crt
>
>Catch up fast: Florida is one of 19 states that have passed laws or used
>executive orders to limit the teaching of what it calls "divisive
>concepts" or critical race theory since 2021, according to data from the
>National Conference of State Legislatures, the American Instructional
>Resources Survey and an Axios analysis of recent stories.
>
>The restrictions have forced schools to remove conventional books on
>civil rights, even if they have nothing to do with graduate-level
>critical race theory conceptions.
>Following criticism from Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) and other
>conservative politicians, the College Board recently changed the
>curriculum for its new Advanced Placement African American Studies
>course, excluding concepts such as Black Lives Matter and reparations.

This is probably bad, but it doesn't stop chiildren from getting the
same books at the public libray, or their parents from buying a copy.

And if they have even one copy they can pass it around.

Any book so banned will become more popular than ever. I remember 50
years ago when I wanted to read iirc Human Sexual Response by Masters
and Johnson. I had to get on the waiting list, but it took less than a
month. I only read part but it was interesting, the plastic
transparent device they used.

Robeto Clemente Jr. seems to think these things shouldn't be shown to
young or very young chilldren 3rd grade or below. I learned how hard the
world is about the age of 8, and I don't think it hurt me to learn that
early, but I also could have waited a couple years. But I didn't learn
about racism until I was iirc aabout 13.
https://triblive.com/sports/pirates/florida-school-district-pulls-childrens-book-about-roberto-clemente-off-shelve/
Roberto Clemente Jr., Clemente’s oldest son, said he initially was taken
aback after learning that the book was removed from school shelves.

But after researching the issue and then rereading the book, which he
owns, he said he is “not really going to fuss about it.”

Referring to a part in the book where the Pirates legend said he
encountered discrimination because he was Black and Puerto Rican,
Clemente Jr. said, “I think that statement is where they had that
issue.”

Clemente Jr., who lives in the South Hills, added: “If you have a child
who does not see color on anyone and you’re going to now plant that seed
that we are a different color, that is where I agree 100%. We are the
same as far as I am concerned. We are all the human race.”

“I would teach my son about racism because I went through it personally.
But putting that issue out there in school, especially with very young
children, opens the door to how teachers could possibly use it for their
agenda.”

[So he brings up a different twist, how individual teachers could misuse
this. [not in the way foreseen. Or schools?] Even though I have big
doubts on this one point, the autocratic behaviour of some governors and
legistlatures is a real problem. I hope DeSantis, for example,
disappears in a hurricane.]

In general, if there are things schools should be teaching that theyr'e
not, not sure how dangerous it would be but parents or students or
others could stand at the entrance to a school passing out a list of
topics, webpage urls, to students as they arrive. Except maybe where
children arrive on school buses, where the state could claim ?? that
non-students can't stand where the kids get off the bus. Still,
students could volunteer or be enlisted to pass out such lists, either
when the buses unload or at the entrance to the cafeteria, for schools
which have a cafeteria. (If there is no cafeteris, it means children
walk to school.)

https://www.husseinandwebber.com/crimes/violent-crimes/contributing-to-child-delinquency/
In Florida, it is a criminal offense to commit an act that contributes
to child delinquency, or to induce a child to become or remain
delinquent. A child delinquency charge is a first degree misdemeanor
with penalties of up to one year in jail.-- so even directly
contributing is not a felony, only a misd.

The rules here seem worse than anything a book could do.
https://mkimmonslaw.com/contributing-delinquency-of-minor/
What does Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor in South Carolina
look like? It could be an infinite number of scenarios, including:

An adult provided alcohol to minors.
A 16-year-old has an older significant other that picks her up from
school against her parents’ wishes, causing the child to miss too much
school. It could be those same individuals running away together.
An adult encouraging a minor to participate in illegal activity–the
parent that encourages their child to shoplift or the older crowd that
sends a minor to commit an armed robbery.

One of the most common factual scenarios I have seen are the parents or
other adults who provide alcohol to minors or allow teenagers to consume
alcohol in their homes. These parents may think they are doing the right
thing by providing a safe place for their teenagers, but it is against
the law.

Another scenario could be a group of teenagers hanging out together.
Some of them are over 18 years old. Others are under 18 years of age. In
their minds, they are just teenagers hanging out with their friends who
are about their same age. Soon, one of the older (over 18) teenagers
thinks it would be fun for all of them to go bash mailboxes. The older
teenager encourages all the others to come along. Even though they are
all teenagers, the older teenager could be charged with Contributing to
the Delinquency of a Minor simply because of the age difference.

Re: OT Roberto Clemente book banned

<4fee64fa-47a0-4e19-8359-42a0ddc2f322n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=38542&group=alt.home.repair#38542

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 09:17:58 -0800 (PST)
From: bruce1.9...@gmail.com (bruce bowser)
 by: bruce bowser - Mon, 13 Feb 2023 17:17 UTC

On Sunday, February 12, 2023 at 4:03:22 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> The state of Florida is not allowing Clemente's book in school
> libraries. If a teacher makes it available to students she will be
> arrested for a felony.

The state probably would't win at the Supreme Court, though.

Re: OT Roberto Clemente book banned

<tse330$27j5s$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=38548&group=alt.home.repair#38548

From: "fran...@frank.net (Frank)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 14:29:34 -0500
 by: Frank - Mon, 13 Feb 2023 19:29 UTC

On 2/13/2023 12:17 PM, bruce bowser wrote:
> On Sunday, February 12, 2023 at 4:03:22 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> The state of Florida is not allowing Clemente's book in school
>> libraries. If a teacher makes it available to students she will be
>> arrested for a felony.
>
> The state probably would't win at the Supreme Court, though.

You guys must be clueless as to how the woke culture has penetrated
schools and industry today.

I know one public school teacher that is sending his son to Catholic
school to avoid the crap going on in his school even though not Catholic.

Re: OT Roberto Clemente book banned

<BLwGL.804346$iU59.184605@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=38549&group=alt.home.repair#38549

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: osc...@127.0.0.1 (Oscar)
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 15:06:52 -0500
 by: Oscar - Mon, 13 Feb 2023 20:06 UTC

Frank wrote:
> On 2/13/2023 12:17 PM, bruce bowser wrote:
>> On Sunday, February 12, 2023 at 4:03:22 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>> The state of Florida is not allowing Clemente's book in school
>>> libraries. If a teacher makes it available to students she will be
>>> arrested for a felony.
>>
>> The state probably would't win at the Supreme Court, though.
>
> You guys must be clueless as to how the woke culture has penetrated schools and industry today.
>
> I know one public school teacher that is sending his son to Catholic school to avoid the crap going on in his school even though not Catholic.

Yah, forget the critical race theory nonsense. First they need to teach these little thugs some manners.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2023/02/another-school-bus-beating-two-black-girls-savagely-pummel-special-needs-child-school-bus-victims-mother-sue-school-video/

--
If the left could compete in the realm of ideas, they wouldn't want to censor us.

If the left were truly a majority, they wouldn't need to censor us.

interests / alt.home.repair / Re: OT Roberto Clemente book banned