From: cla...@snyder.on.ca (Clare Snyder)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: Re: Why do circuit breakers go up for on and down for off?
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 13:11:27 -0500
 by: Clare Snyder - Sat, 11 Feb 2023 18:11 UTC

On Sat, 11 Feb 2023 10:45:18 +0000, SteveW <steve@walker-family.me.uk>
wrote:

>On 11/02/2023 09:34, Brian Gaff wrote:
>> I'm sure the modern ones will work any way around you wanted. If you don't
>> like it simply do a head stand before you change them.
>>
>> My main question, however is why are some breakers so sensitive they trip
>> more often than others?
>> I think they are way too complex now with earth leakage as well as just
>> looking for overloads.
>
>I used to have a problem with random tripping of the whole house RCD.
>Removing that and replacing all the previously RCD protected MCBs with
>RCBOs, split any base leakage (mainly filters on power supplies of a lot
>of electronic items) across separate circuits and we have not had a
>single false trip since.
>
>Anyway, if you think that adding earth leakage detection to overcurrent
>protection is too much, wait for the AFDDs (Arc Fault Detection
>Devices), which are RCBOs, plus a microprocessor that monitors the
>circuit and analyses the waveform for changes that indicate arcing in a
>loose terminal, but *shouldn't* trip on the arcing of a motor's brushes!
What do yoiu mean "wait for" - they are code up here NOW

Re: Why do circuit breakers go up for on and down for off?

<b2d90c51-13cd-45f8-8e91-ab69e797fe9an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=38522&group=alt.home.repair#38522

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 03:22:02 -0800 (PST)
From: deanh6...@gmail.com (Dean Hoffman)
 by: Dean Hoffman - Mon, 13 Feb 2023 11:22 UTC

On Sunday, February 12, 2023 at 11:53:05 PM UTC-6, Commander Kinsey wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Feb 2023 18:11:27 -0000, Clare Snyder <cl...@snyder.on.ca> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 11 Feb 2023 10:45:18 +0000, SteveW <st...@walker-family.me.uk>
> > wrote:

> >> I used to have a problem with random tripping of the whole house RCD.
> >> Removing that and replacing all the previously RCD protected MCBs with
> >> RCBOs, split any base leakage (mainly filters on power supplies of a lot
> >> of electronic items) across separate circuits and we have not had a
> >> single false trip since.
> >>
> >> Anyway, if you think that adding earth leakage detection to overcurrent
> >> protection is too much, wait for the AFDDs (Arc Fault Detection
> >> Devices), which are RCBOs, plus a microprocessor that monitors the
> >> circuit and analyses the waveform for changes that indicate arcing in a
> >> loose terminal, but *shouldn't* trip on the arcing of a motor's brushes!
> > What do yoiu mean "wait for" - they are code up here NOW
>
> Why do you misuse the word code? A code is some kind of encryption. You mean regulation. If Americans are to integrate with society, they need to learn to speak English correctly.

Why? We speak American on the west side of the big pond. It's a mixture of English with whatever. We still have building codes and the National Electrical Code.

interests / alt.home.repair / Re: Why do circuit breakers go up for on and down for off?