Something's rotten in the state of Denmark. -- Shakespeare

interests / alt.home.repair / Good furnace filters don't fit, and cheap ones are hard to find; Amazon plays tricks

SubjectAuthor
* Good furnace filters don't fit, and cheap ones are hard to find; Amazon plays trmicky
+- Good furnace filters don't fit, and cheap ones are hard to find;0scar
+* Good furnace filters don't fit, and cheap ones are hard to find; Amazon plays trhubops
|`* Good furnace filters don't fit, and cheap ones are hard to find; Amazon plays trmicky
| `- Good furnace filters don't fit, and cheap ones are hard to find;trader_4
+* Good furnace filters don't fit, and cheap ones are hard toCindy Hamilton
|+- Good furnace filters don't fit, and cheap ones are hard to find;Frank
|`* Good furnace filters don't fit, and cheap ones are hard to find; Amazon plays trmicky
| `- Good furnace filters don't fit, and cheap ones are hard to find; Amazon plays trmicky
`* Good furnace filters don't fit, and cheap ones are hard to find;Retirednoguilt
 `- Good furnace filters don't fit, and cheap ones are hard to find; Amazon plays trmicky

1
Good furnace filters don't fit, and cheap ones are hard to find; Amazon plays tricks

<chneuh12i5b4ev01njreept3ba01a07nqj@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=38382&group=alt.home.repair#38382

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: Good furnace filters don't fit, and cheap ones are hard to find; Amazon plays tricks
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 04:47:04 -0500
 by: micky - Sat, 11 Feb 2023 09:47 UTC

Good furnace filters don't fit, and cheap ones are hard to find;

Prosperity can be a problem.

It's hard to find the cheap furnace filters I used for a long time. I
blame prosperity. All Home Depot and almost all Amazon has are nicer,
with FPR ratings and a cardboard frame with wire reinforcing of the
pleats, and they are just a little thicker than what I've been using and
they won't fit in the furnace filter slot. (Mine has some small
deformation or obstruction, but it was never a problem with cheap ones.)
Amazon also has a barebones blue filter for $12 with no frame at all
that might be too pliable to shove 24" down the slot, but so far I have
no choice. I have to buy one.

Ah, Lowes, 3-pack for $12. Even though they are pleated and have a
cardboard frame, they are so cheap they might fit.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Filtrete-3-Pack-Basic-Pleated-Common-16-in-x-24-in-x-1-in-Actual-15-7-in-x-23-7-in-x-0-8125-in-Pleated-Air-Filter/50107166
The filters don't seem to get dirty anyhow.

Meanwhile, Amazon is again playing games.
If I need an O2 sensor for my Toyota, they have two by the same brand,
Denso, which I think is made by Toyota, that are $52.25 and 52.57
respectively, 32 cents differencee, but this one they claim is marked
down 61% from 164.49. What a deal.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IYBFE8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
and this one is the regular price
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016NBBQW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
And somehow they are the same price minus 32 cents.

Both are sold and shipped by Amazon.

Re: Good furnace filters don't fit, and cheap ones are hard to find; Amazon plays tricks

<gdLFL.753467$vBI8.633828@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=38386&group=alt.home.repair#38386

Subject: Re: Good furnace filters don't fit, and cheap ones are hard to find;
Amazon plays tricks
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: osc...@127.O.O.1 (0scar)
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 06:45:15 -0500
 by: 0scar - Sat, 11 Feb 2023 11:45 UTC

micky wrote:
> Good furnace filters don't fit, and cheap ones are hard to find;

You should get an N-95 filter just in case there's a Fauci-1984 virus floating around your house. ;-)

Re: Good furnace filters don't fit, and cheap ones are hard to find; Amazon plays tricks

<clveuh952ilm1tvvcgst2vp3lsp89mcqg6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=38387&group=alt.home.repair#38387

From: hub...@ccanoemail.com
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 07:01:27 -0500
 by: hub...@ccanoemail.com - Sat, 11 Feb 2023 12:01 UTC

On Sat, 11 Feb 2023 04:47:04 -0500, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
wrote:

>Good furnace filters don't fit, and cheap ones are hard to find;
>
>Prosperity can be a problem.
>
>It's hard to find the cheap furnace filters I used for a long time. I
>blame prosperity. All Home Depot and almost all Amazon has are nicer,
>with FPR ratings and a cardboard frame with wire reinforcing of the
>pleats, and they are just a little thicker than what I've been using and
>they won't fit in the furnace filter slot. (Mine has some small
>deformation or obstruction, but it was never a problem with cheap ones.)
>Amazon also has a barebones blue filter for $12 with no frame at all
>that might be too pliable to shove 24" down the slot, but so far I have
>no choice. I have to buy one.
>
> Ah, Lowes, 3-pack for $12. Even though they are pleated and have a
>cardboard frame, they are so cheap they might fit.
>https://www.lowes.com/pd/Filtrete-3-Pack-Basic-Pleated-Common-16-in-x-24-in-x-1-in-Actual-15-7-in-x-23-7-in-x-0-8125-in-Pleated-Air-Filter/50107166
>The filters don't seem to get dirty anyhow.

Look for and clear the obstruction !
That would allow you to use the decent filters.
I'd guess a screw or sheet metal lip or something else
that is fairly easy to resolve. Even a slight wow in the
filter slot could be carefully straightened.
From experience - a poor filter will eventually - over the years
- shorten the life & efficiency of the furnace - by allowing
dust to pass and build up in the heat exchanger.
Then - all the pennies that you saved on filters end-up
costing you 5 grand for a new furnace.
I look for the good quality filters at the Habitat Re-Store
< eg 3M > and stock-up with a ~ 2 year supply.
John T.

Re: Good furnace filters don't fit, and cheap ones are hard to find; Amazon plays tricks

<McNFL.111994$rKDc.38332@fx34.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=38391&group=alt.home.repair#38391

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: hamil...@invalid.com (Cindy Hamilton)
Subject: Re: Good furnace filters don't fit, and cheap ones are hard to
find; Amazon plays tricks
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 14:01:16 GMT
 by: Cindy Hamilton - Sat, 11 Feb 2023 14:01 UTC

On 2023-02-11, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
> Good furnace filters don't fit, and cheap ones are hard to find;
>
> Prosperity can be a problem.
>
> It's hard to find the cheap furnace filters I used for a long time. I
> blame prosperity. All Home Depot and almost all Amazon has are nicer,
> with FPR ratings and a cardboard frame with wire reinforcing of the
> pleats, and they are just a little thicker than what I've been using and
> they won't fit in the furnace filter slot. (Mine has some small
> deformation or obstruction, but it was never a problem with cheap ones.)

You're fixing the wrong problem. Fix the slot so you can use
standard filters.

> Amazon also has a barebones blue filter for $12 with no frame at all

This stuff?

https://www.amazon.com/Filter-Media-White-MERV6-Polyester/dp/B017WOXA4Y

That's supposed to be used with a separate frame:

https://www.grainger.com/product/AIR-HANDLER-Filter-Pad-Holding-Frame-20x25x1-5W075

We use the polyester media as a pre-filter for the big HEPA filter.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Re: Good furnace filters don't fit, and cheap ones are hard to find; Amazon plays tricks

<ts896r$1eb5b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=38393&group=alt.home.repair#38393

From: HapilyRe...@fakeaddress.com (Retirednoguilt)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Amazon plays tricks
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 09:37:14 -0500
 by: Retirednoguilt - Sat, 11 Feb 2023 14:37 UTC

On 2/11/2023 4:47 AM, micky wrote:
> Good furnace filters don't fit, and cheap ones are hard to find;
>
> Prosperity can be a problem.
>
> It's hard to find the cheap furnace filters I used for a long time. I
> blame prosperity. All Home Depot and almost all Amazon has are nicer,
> with FPR ratings and a cardboard frame with wire reinforcing of the
> pleats, and they are just a little thicker than what I've been using and
> they won't fit in the furnace filter slot. (Mine has some small
> deformation or obstruction, but it was never a problem with cheap ones.)
> Amazon also has a barebones blue filter for $12 with no frame at all
> that might be too pliable to shove 24" down the slot, but so far I have
> no choice. I have to buy one.
>
> Ah, Lowes, 3-pack for $12. Even though they are pleated and have a
> cardboard frame, they are so cheap they might fit.
> https://www.lowes.com/pd/Filtrete-3-Pack-Basic-Pleated-Common-16-in-x-24-in-x-1-in-Actual-15-7-in-x-23-7-in-x-0-8125-in-Pleated-Air-Filter/50107166
> The filters don't seem to get dirty anyhow.
>

> Meanwhile, Amazon is again playing games.
> If I need an O2 sensor for my Toyota, they have two by the same brand,
> Denso, which I think is made by Toyota, that are $52.25 and 52.57
> respectively, 32 cents differencee, but this one they claim is marked
> down 61% from 164.49. What a deal.
> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IYBFE8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
> and this one is the regular price
> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016NBBQW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
> And somehow they are the same price minus 32 cents.
>
> Both are sold and shipped by Amazon.

I been buying humidifier filters from FiltersFast.com for years and been
very satisfied with their products and prices. (I'm just a customer and
have no financial interest in the company.)

Re: Good furnace filters don't fit, and cheap ones are hard to find; Amazon plays tricks

<ts8lsu$1fojj$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=38406&group=alt.home.repair#38406

From: "fran...@frank.net (Frank)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Amazon plays tricks
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 13:13:48 -0500
 by: Frank - Sat, 11 Feb 2023 18:13 UTC

On 2/11/2023 9:01 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On 2023-02-11, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>> Good furnace filters don't fit, and cheap ones are hard to find;
>>
>> Prosperity can be a problem.
>>
>> It's hard to find the cheap furnace filters I used for a long time. I
>> blame prosperity. All Home Depot and almost all Amazon has are nicer,
>> with FPR ratings and a cardboard frame with wire reinforcing of the
>> pleats, and they are just a little thicker than what I've been using and
>> they won't fit in the furnace filter slot. (Mine has some small
>> deformation or obstruction, but it was never a problem with cheap ones.)
>
> You're fixing the wrong problem. Fix the slot so you can use
> standard filters.
>
>> Amazon also has a barebones blue filter for $12 with no frame at all
>
> This stuff?
>
> https://www.amazon.com/Filter-Media-White-MERV6-Polyester/dp/B017WOXA4Y
>
> That's supposed to be used with a separate frame:
>
> https://www.grainger.com/product/AIR-HANDLER-Filter-Pad-Holding-Frame-20x25x1-5W075
>
> We use the polyester media as a pre-filter for the big HEPA filter.

micky needs fixing upstairs.

Re: Good furnace filters don't fit, and cheap ones are hard to find; Amazon plays tricks

<ifjguh9nbda12ppftbc22u4308rmmla17i@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=38443&group=alt.home.repair#38443

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 21:53:34 -0500
 by: micky - Sun, 12 Feb 2023 02:53 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 11 Feb 2023 07:01:27 -0500,
hubops@ccanoemail.com wrote:

>On Sat, 11 Feb 2023 04:47:04 -0500, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Good furnace filters don't fit, and cheap ones are hard to find;
>>
>>Prosperity can be a problem.
>>
>>It's hard to find the cheap furnace filters I used for a long time. I
>>blame prosperity. All Home Depot and almost all Amazon has are nicer,
>>with FPR ratings and a cardboard frame with wire reinforcing of the
>>pleats, and they are just a little thicker than what I've been using and
>>they won't fit in the furnace filter slot. (Mine has some small
>>deformation or obstruction, but it was never a problem with cheap ones.)
>>Amazon also has a barebones blue filter for $12 with no frame at all
>>that might be too pliable to shove 24" down the slot, but so far I have
>>no choice. I have to buy one.
>>
>> Ah, Lowes, 3-pack for $12. Even though they are pleated and have a
>>cardboard frame, they are so cheap they might fit.
>>https://www.lowes.com/pd/Filtrete-3-Pack-Basic-Pleated-Common-16-in-x-24-in-x-1-in-Actual-15-7-in-x-23-7-in-x-0-8125-in-Pleated-Air-Filter/50107166
>>The filters don't seem to get dirty anyhow.
>

>Look for and clear the obstruction !

Can't do it. It runs maybe the whole width of the intake duct. Something
is a little crushed, from when they first installed it. Didn't matter,
probably wasn't even noticed at the time, 44 years ago when filters were
cheaper and 1/16" thinner.

Plus it's floor level with only 18" between the furnace and the dresser
that holds up the work bench.

>That would allow you to use the decent filters.
>I'd guess a screw or sheet metal lip or something else
>that is fairly easy to resolve. Even a slight wow in the
>filter slot could be carefully straightened.
> From experience - a poor filter will eventually - over the years
>- shorten the life & efficiency of the furnace - by allowing
>dust to pass and build up in the heat exchanger.
> Then - all the pennies that you saved on filters end-up
>costing you 5 grand for a new furnace.

I need a new furnace anyhow. This one is 44 years old. I have to make
room in the basement for them to have room to work.

> I look for the good quality filters at the Habitat Re-Store
> < eg 3M > and stock-up with a ~ 2 year supply.
> John T.

Re: Good furnace filters don't fit, and cheap ones are hard to find; Amazon plays tricks

<jnjguh5em2fgic6154bim4ddes1f5k6kgb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=38444&group=alt.home.repair#38444

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 21:53:36 -0500
 by: micky - Sun, 12 Feb 2023 02:53 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 11 Feb 2023 14:01:16 GMT, Cindy Hamilton
<hamilton@invalid.com> wrote:

>On 2023-02-11, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>> Good furnace filters don't fit, and cheap ones are hard to find;
>>
>> Prosperity can be a problem.
>>
>> It's hard to find the cheap furnace filters I used for a long time. I
>> blame prosperity. All Home Depot and almost all Amazon has are nicer,
>> with FPR ratings and a cardboard frame with wire reinforcing of the
>> pleats, and they are just a little thicker than what I've been using and
>> they won't fit in the furnace filter slot. (Mine has some small
>> deformation or obstruction, but it was never a problem with cheap ones.)
>
>You're fixing the wrong problem. Fix the slot so you can use
>standard filters.

As I said to John, can't do it.

>> Amazon also has a barebones blue filter for $12 with no frame at all
>
>This stuff?
>
>https://www.amazon.com/Filter-Media-White-MERV6-Polyester/dp/B017WOXA4Y

That's it. They also have them pre-cut to my size.

>That's supposed to be used with a separate frame:
>
>https://www.grainger.com/product/AIR-HANDLER-Filter-Pad-Holding-Frame-20x25x1-5W075

Aha, so I was right, they're not meant to be pushed in 24 inches without
folding or buckling. An aluminum frame would be even more resistant to
squeezign past the obstruction.

>We use the polyester media as a pre-filter for the big HEPA filter.

Even the ones I always used had a cardboard frame. Even though it was
label "x1", it was 1/16 to 1/8" thinner than the ones I just bought.
Next time I'm near Lowes I will look at these and hope they fit.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Filtrete-3-Pack-Basic-Pleated-Common-16-in-x-24-in-x-1-in-Actual-15-7-in-x-23-7-in-x-0-8125-in-Pleated-Air-Filter/50107166

Re: Good furnace filters don't fit, and cheap ones are hard to find; Amazon plays tricks

<9tjguhlmjpojbus1ojcoafmf9ups7er76m@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=38445&group=alt.home.repair#38445

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 21:53:38 -0500
 by: micky - Sun, 12 Feb 2023 02:53 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 11 Feb 2023 09:37:14 -0500, Retirednoguilt
<HapilyRetired@fakeaddress.com> wrote:

>On 2/11/2023 4:47 AM, micky wrote:
>> Good furnace filters don't fit, and cheap ones are hard to find;
>>
>> Prosperity can be a problem.
>>
>> It's hard to find the cheap furnace filters I used for a long time. I
>> blame prosperity. All Home Depot and almost all Amazon has are nicer,
>> with FPR ratings and a cardboard frame with wire reinforcing of the
>> pleats, and they are just a little thicker than what I've been using and
>> they won't fit in the furnace filter slot. (Mine has some small
>> deformation or obstruction, but it was never a problem with cheap ones.)
>> Amazon also has a barebones blue filter for $12 with no frame at all
>> that might be too pliable to shove 24" down the slot, but so far I have
>> no choice. I have to buy one.
>>
>> Ah, Lowes, 3-pack for $12. Even though they are pleated and have a
>> cardboard frame, they are so cheap they might fit.
>> https://www.lowes.com/pd/Filtrete-3-Pack-Basic-Pleated-Common-16-in-x-24-in-x-1-in-Actual-15-7-in-x-23-7-in-x-0-8125-in-Pleated-Air-Filter/50107166
>> The filters don't seem to get dirty anyhow.
>>

>> Meanwhile, Amazon is again playing games.
>> If I need an O2 sensor for my Toyota, they have two by the same brand,
>> Denso, which I think is made by Toyota, that are $52.25 and 52.57
>> respectively, 32 cents differencee, but this one they claim is marked
>> down 61% from 164.49. What a deal.
>> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IYBFE8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
>> and this one is the regular price
>> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016NBBQW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
>> And somehow they are the same price minus 32 cents.
>>
>> Both are sold and shipped by Amazon.
>
>I been buying humidifier filters from FiltersFast.com for years and been
>very satisfied with their products and prices. (I'm just a customer and
>have no financial interest in the company.)

Their questions were helpful:
>Yes, Filtersfast, Filtrete,

Filtrete is who makes the cheap ones at Lowes. But maybe their cheap
ones aren't electrostatically charged . Right. One of their pictures
shows they capture only lint and household dust. Their more expensive
one also lists dust mite debris, mold spores, polllen, pet dander,
smoke, smog particles.

I don't have a pet, and no one here smokes, and Baltimore doesn't have
smog, I probably do have mold but I don't think it bothers me. (I'll
mention it to my doctor.) I mite have dust mites.

OTOH, the cheap ones look the same, as big, as the better ones. They
may not fit either. I'm glad I didnt't hrough away the old one that does
fit. I will take it to the store with me.

> Carrier, among many other air filter brands use an electrostatically charged filter media. >Fiberglass air filters are far less common today and were never designed to improve air quality,

Good to know.

>rather they protect HVAC systems from large dirt and debris.

I'm in favor of that, but as to air quality, I leave my windows open 6
months of the year anyhow. Plus I don't have allergies. So I don't
think I nead or could get air quality imporovement.

I hope the ones from Lowes are thin enough.

Thanks everyone.

Re: Good furnace filters don't fit, and cheap ones are hard to find; Amazon plays tricks

<b194ed36-ffcc-48db-ab29-fae66962a06cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=38450&group=alt.home.repair#38450

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 06:51:20 -0800 (PST)
Amazon plays tricks
From: trad...@optonline.net (trader_4)
 by: trader_4 - Sun, 12 Feb 2023 14:51 UTC

On Saturday, February 11, 2023 at 9:53:43 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:
> In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 11 Feb 2023 07:01:27 -0500,
> hub...@ccanoemail.com wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 11 Feb 2023 04:47:04 -0500, micky <NONONO...@fmguy.com>
> >wrote:
> >
> >>Good furnace filters don't fit, and cheap ones are hard to find;
> >>
> >>Prosperity can be a problem.
> >>
> >>It's hard to find the cheap furnace filters I used for a long time. I
> >>blame prosperity. All Home Depot and almost all Amazon has are nicer,
> >>with FPR ratings and a cardboard frame with wire reinforcing of the
> >>pleats, and they are just a little thicker than what I've been using and
> >>they won't fit in the furnace filter slot. (Mine has some small
> >>deformation or obstruction, but it was never a problem with cheap ones.)
> >>Amazon also has a barebones blue filter for $12 with no frame at all
> >>that might be too pliable to shove 24" down the slot, but so far I have
> >>no choice. I have to buy one.
> >>
> >> Ah, Lowes, 3-pack for $12. Even though they are pleated and have a
> >>cardboard frame, they are so cheap they might fit.
> >>https://www.lowes.com/pd/Filtrete-3-Pack-Basic-Pleated-Common-16-in-x-24-in-x-1-in-Actual-15-7-in-x-23-7-in-x-0-8125-in-Pleated-Air-Filter/50107166
> >>The filters don't seem to get dirty anyhow.
> >

> >Look for and clear the obstruction !
> Can't do it. It runs maybe the whole width of the intake duct. Something
> is a little crushed, from when they first installed it. Didn't matter,
> probably wasn't even noticed at the time, 44 years ago when filters were
> cheaper and 1/16" thinner.
>
> Plus it's floor level with only 18" between the furnace and the dresser
> that holds up the work bench.
> >That would allow you to use the decent filters.
> >I'd guess a screw or sheet metal lip or something else
> >that is fairly easy to resolve. Even a slight wow in the
> >filter slot could be carefully straightened.
> > From experience - a poor filter will eventually - over the years
> >- shorten the life & efficiency of the furnace - by allowing
> >dust to pass and build up in the heat exchanger.
> > Then - all the pennies that you saved on filters end-up
> >costing you 5 grand for a new furnace.
> I need a new furnace anyhow. This one is 44 years old. I have to make
> room in the basement for them to have room to work.

When you get a new furnace get either a 5" wide filter housing added or an
electronic filter. The ones included on the furnace aren't worth spit.

Re: Good furnace filters don't fit, and cheap ones are hard to find; Amazon plays tricks

<svbouh5r17c18n0d60vmkca521vphc3lvr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=38607&group=alt.home.repair#38607

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2023 20:23:33 -0500
 by: micky - Wed, 15 Feb 2023 01:23 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 11 Feb 2023 21:53:36 -0500, micky
<NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

>In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 11 Feb 2023 14:01:16 GMT, Cindy Hamilton
><hamilton@invalid.com> wrote:
>
>>On 2023-02-11, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>>> Good furnace filters don't fit, and cheap ones are hard to find;
>>>
>>> Prosperity can be a problem.
>>>
>>> It's hard to find the cheap furnace filters I used for a long time. I
>>> blame prosperity. All Home Depot and almost all Amazon has are nicer,
>>> with FPR ratings and a cardboard frame with wire reinforcing of the
>>> pleats, and they are just a little thicker than what I've been using and
>>> they won't fit in the furnace filter slot. (Mine has some small
>>> deformation or obstruction, but it was never a problem with cheap ones.)
>>
>>You're fixing the wrong problem. Fix the slot so you can use
>>standard filters.
>
>As I said to John, can't do it.
>>
>>> Amazon also has a barebones blue filter for $12 with no frame at all
>>
>>This stuff?
>>
>>https://www.amazon.com/Filter-Media-White-MERV6-Polyester/dp/B017WOXA4Y
>
>That's it. They also have them pre-cut to my size.
>
>>That's supposed to be used with a separate frame:
>>
>>https://www.grainger.com/product/AIR-HANDLER-Filter-Pad-Holding-Frame-20x25x1-5W075
>
>Aha, so I was right, they're not meant to be pushed in 24 inches without
>folding or buckling. An aluminum frame would be even more resistant to
>squeezign past the obstruction.

BTW Grainger is a good idea. It is my next step after Lowes. It has
MERV 7 quality filters for $7.

"MERV 7 general-purpose air filters capture particles in the 3 to
10-micron range such as dusting aids and cement dust. They are commonly
used as pre-filters for higher-rated filters or as the final filter in a
low-dust environment"

Mininimum order of 12 if you have them shipped, but I can go there.

>>We use the polyester media as a pre-filter for the big HEPA filter.
>
>Even the ones I always used had a cardboard frame. Even though it was
>label "x1", it was 1/16 to 1/8" thinner than the ones I just bought.
>Next time I'm near Lowes I will look at these and hope they fit.
>https://www.lowes.com/pd/Filtrete-3-Pack-Basic-Pleated-Common-16-in-x-24-in-x-1-in-Actual-15-7-in-x-23-7-in-x-0-8125-in-Pleated-Air-Filter/50107166

I decided to go to Lowes ASAP.

I looked at the remains of the cheap one that fits, and it's the very
same thickness at the edge as the new good one that doesn't fit**, 7/8"
I think. **I ruined one.

But while the edge of the good one is shaped like
__
|_ the cheap one is shaped like

__
|/ more or less. It tapers in like a soup bowl right from the edge,
and that's got to be why it fits. Even it wasn't that easy to get in
either. I had to jiggle it past some obsctrucion.

But the new Filtrete Basic ones seem just like the old cheap ones.

IOW, SUCCESS!!!!

3 for $12.

BTW, Lowes seemed to have more things than Home Depot. Maybe this wwas
a bigger than average Lowes store. It seemed bigger than the HDepot
near me, and the two Lowes nearest to me didn't ever stock these cheap
ones.

interests / alt.home.repair / Good furnace filters don't fit, and cheap ones are hard to find; Amazon plays tricks