Don't despise your poor relations, they may become suddenly rich one day. -- Josh Billings

interests / alt.home.repair / Re: Orange gunk on bathroom ceiling

SubjectAuthor
* Orange gunk on bathroom ceilingmatt b
`* Orange gunk on bathroom ceilingRod Speed
 `- Lonely Obnoxious Cantankerous Auto-contradicting Senile OzzieThomas

1
Re: Orange gunk on bathroom ceiling

<c13136cb-abe0-4fd7-8bdc-a7e3f63878ecn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=37901&group=alt.home.repair#37901

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2023 10:38:11 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Orange gunk on bathroom ceiling
From: puffyone...@gmail.com (matt b)
 by: matt b - Sat, 4 Feb 2023 18:38 UTC

On Friday, August 8, 1997 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Tom Cross wrote:
> Mark Atwood wrote:
> >
> > "John Munro - Call the Bug Guy" <bug...@wired2.net> writes:
> > >
> > > I used to have that problem in my bathrooms... it went away when we quit
> > > smoking cigarettes in the house. If you have smokers that may be the
> > > solution.
> > >
> > > Another cause may be mold growing in moisture condensing on the wall. A
> > > wash down with tsp solution and increasing ventilation should fix that.
> > >

> > Had that in the downstair bathroom in my parent's house. Since they
> > vanished almost instantly when hit with any sort of spray
> > disinfectant, I was inclined to believe they were some sort of strange
> > mold or mildew.
> >
> > --
> > Mark Atwood | Thank you gentlemen, you are everything we have come to
> > z...@ampersand.com | expect from years of government training. -- MIB Zed
> I had the same problem. They were hard water rust spots that washed off
> easily.
> Tom
I know this is super old, but this problem plagued me so I'll answer.

It's obviously not mold, because it can't be killed.
It obviously is not hard water/rust because it is sticky resin and not in contact with metal.
It is obviously not cigarettes if you don't smoke cigarettes.

The most likely explanation when is that the person who painted the bathroom used general-purpose paint instead of bathroom paint. The moisture is going to cause substances within the paint to separate out. No matter how many times you remove the stains, they will keep coming back, at least until you have scraped all the paint off your ceiling.

A less likely explanation is that honey is seeping through your ceiling from a bee infestation. I wouldn't recommend tasting the orange paint-resin, but that would be a way to exclude honey as a cause.

Re: Orange gunk on bathroom ceiling

<op.1zu228fobyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=37933&group=alt.home.repair#37933

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2023 08:53:22 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Sat, 4 Feb 2023 21:53 UTC

On Sun, 05 Feb 2023 05:38:11 +1100, matt b <puffyone619@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Friday, August 8, 1997 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Tom Cross wrote:
>> Mark Atwood wrote:

>> quit

>> wall. A
>> that.
>> > >

>> > Had that in the downstair bathroom in my parent's house. Since they
>> > vanished almost instantly when hit with any sort of spray
>> > disinfectant, I was inclined to believe they were some sort of strange
>> > mold or mildew.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Mark Atwood | Thank you gentlemen, you are everything we have come to
>> > z...@ampersand.com | expect from years of government training. -- MIB
>> Zed
>> I had the same problem. They were hard water rust spots that washed off
>> easily.
>> Tom
> I know this is super old, but this problem plagued me so I'll answer.
>
> It's obviously not mold, because it can't be killed.
> It obviously is not hard water/rust because it is sticky resin and not
> in contact with metal.
> It is obviously not cigarettes if you don't smoke cigarettes.
>
> The most likely explanation when is that the person who painted the
> bathroom used general-purpose paint instead of bathroom paint. The
> moisture is going to cause substances within the paint to separate out.

Not with water based paint which most use.

> No matter how many times you remove the stains, they will keep coming
> back, at least until you have scraped all the paint off your ceiling.

> A less likely explanation is that honey is seeping through your ceiling
> from a bee infestation. I wouldn't recommend tasting the orange
> paint-resin, but that would be a way to exclude honey as a cause.

Re: Lonely Obnoxious Cantankerous Auto-contradicting Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

<b37fd6a2-0e13-4138-9ddb-50fb645d2788n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=37946&group=alt.home.repair#37946

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2023 15:50:53 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Lonely Obnoxious Cantankerous Auto-contradicting Senile Ozzie
Troll Alert!
From: canope...@gmail.com (Thomas)
 by: Thomas - Sat, 4 Feb 2023 23:50 UTC

On Saturday, February 4, 2023 at 5:23:49 PM UTC-5, Peeler wrote:
> On Sun, 05 Feb 2023 08:53:22 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent
> Speed, the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:
>
> <FLUSH the abnormal trolling senile cretin's latest trollshit unread>
>
> --
> Xeno to senile Rodent:
> "You're a sad old man Rod, truly sad."
> MID: <id04c3...@mid.individual.net>
Depending on the tiles it could be glue.

interests / alt.home.repair / Re: Orange gunk on bathroom ceiling