It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats.

interests / alt.home.repair / Re: OT another reason Amazon is a success

SubjectAuthor
* OT another reason Amazon is a successmicky
+* OT another reason Amazon is a successMighty✅ Wannabe✅
|`- OT another reason Amazon is a successRod Speed
+* OT another reason Amazon is a successmicky
|+* OT another reason Amazon is a successMighty✅ Wannabe✅
||+- OT another reason Amazon is a successmicky
||`- OT another reason Amazon is a successrbowman
|+* OT another reason Amazon is a successrbowman
||`- OT another reason Amazon is a successRod Speed
|`* OT another reason Amazon is a successmicky
| `* OT another reason Amazon is a successMighty✅ Wannabe✅
|  `* OT another reason Amazon is a successmicky
|   `* OT another reason Amazon is a successMighty✅ Wannabe✅
|    +* OT another reason Amazon is a successmicky
|    |`- OT another reason Amazon is a successBob F
|    `* OT another reason Amazon is a successMark Lloyd
|     +* OT another reason Amazon is a successMighty✅ Wannabe✅
|     |`* OT another reason Amazon is a successRod Speed
|     | `* OT another reason Amazon is a successMighty✅ Wannabe✅
|     |  `- OT another reason Amazon is a successRod Speed
|     `* OT another reason Amazon is a successmicky
|      +* OT another reason Amazon is a successMighty✅ Wannabe✅
|      |+- OT another reason Amazon is a successRod Speed
|      |`* OT another reason Amazon is a successmicky
|      | `* OT another reason Amazon is a successMighty✅ Wannabe✅
|      |  `- OT another reason Amazon is a successmicky
|      `* OT another reason Amazon is a successEd Pawlowski
|       +* OT another reason Amazon is a successMighty✅ Wannabe✅
|       |+- OT another reason Amazon is a successRod Speed
|       |`- OT another reason Amazon is a successEd Pawlowski
|       +* OT another reason Amazon is a successRod Speed
|       |`* OT another reason Amazon is a successMark Lloyd
|       | `* OT another reason Amazon is a successBob F
|       |  `- OT another reason Amazon is a successRod Speed
|       `- OT another reason Amazon is a successmicky
`- OT another reason Amazon is a successmicky

Pages:12
Re: OT another reason Amazon is a success

<op.1y9dopf7byq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=37204&group=alt.home.repair#37204

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: Re: OT another reason Amazon is a success
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 15:35:03 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Tue, 24 Jan 2023 04:35 UTC

On Tue, 24 Jan 2023 15:04:22 +1100, Mighty✅ Wannabe✅ <.> wrote:

> micky wrote on 1/23/2023 10:29 PM:
>> In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 23 Jan 2023 13:04:50 -0600, Mark Lloyd
>> <not.email@all.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> On 1/22/23 20:35, Mighty? Wannabe? wrote:
>>>
>>> [snip]

>>> I agree that it needs the punctuation (something to separate 'early'
>>> and
>>> 'on Monday' to make it obvious it doesn't mean 'early on Monday', which
>>> is morning). The message body makes it clear.
>>>
>>> However, I do notice that these things are never more specific than the
>>> day. I know that they don't mean 'early on Monday'.
>> Maybe I'm wrong but I thought there was someone out there, some delivery
>> company, that did get more specific,
>>
>> And Amazon itself, on the tracking page, a couple hours before it was
>> delivered narrowed the delivery window to 1:30 to 3:30. They didnt'
>> send an email about that.
>>
>> But the biggest factor is that I'm very literal, when I read and when I
>> listen, and hopefully, when I write and talk.
>>
>>> BTW, I am expecting a package today, and am about to go out to check
>>> (the mail carrier never rings the doorbell).
>> They used to ring the doorbell. I'm sure because after I had a burglar
>> alarm for a couple years, I found out it was going off in the middle of
>> the day sometimes, maybe for years, but no one had told me. No
>> monitoring, just a siren. I thought it was the slamming of the brass
>> doors on the mail slot, but I coudln't duplicate it. Eventually I tried
>> the doorbell, and it would set off the glass/wood breakage detector and
>> the alarm.
>>
>> I put a resistor in the wire to the hall doorbell to make it softer (but
>> left the one in the basement alone.)
>

> You should be able to afford a doorbell camera.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/s?k=doorbell+camera

But a movement sensor works much better because plenty
of the delivery monkeys don't even bother to use the doorbell
or knock on the door, just dump the item at the door and run.

Re: OT another reason Amazon is a success

<op.1y9dsuf8byq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=37205&group=alt.home.repair#37205

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 15:37:32 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Tue, 24 Jan 2023 04:37 UTC

On Tue, 24 Jan 2023 15:06:06 +1100, Ed Pawlowski <esp@snet.xxx> wrote:

> On 1/23/2023 10:29 PM, micky wrote:
>
>> They used to ring the doorbell. I'm sure because after I had a
>> burglar
>> alarm for a couple years, I found out it was going off in the middle of
>> the day sometimes, maybe for years, but no one had told me. No
>> monitoring, just a siren. I thought it was the slamming of the brass
>> doors on the mail slot, but I coudln't duplicate it. Eventually I tried
>> the doorbell, and it would set off the glass/wood breakage detector and
>> the alarm.
>> I put a resistor in the wire to the hall doorbell to make it softer
>> (but
>> left the one in the basement alone.)

> I don't know why they don't ring the bell.

I do, its a lot quicker to just dump the item
than wait to see if the doorbell gets answered.

> I have a Ring doorbell that alerts me when someone comes up the walk but
> it has missed.

> The Ring doorbell can be handy.

But is very easy to steal.

> Last week a package needing signature came a day early and I was at the
> doctor's office. He rang the bell and I was able to see him and talk to
> him. Gave him my DOB and he signed for me and left it.
>
> With Amazon I have delivery into the garage so nothing left out.

Re: OT another reason Amazon is a success

<op.1y9dyepxbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=37207&group=alt.home.repair#37207

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 15:40:52 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Tue, 24 Jan 2023 04:40 UTC

On Tue, 24 Jan 2023 15:27:57 +1100, Mighty✅ Wannabe✅ <.> wrote:

> Ed Pawlowski wrote on 1/23/2023 11:06 PM:
>> On 1/23/2023 10:29 PM, micky wrote:
>>

>>> They used to ring the doorbell. I'm sure because after I had a
>>> burglar
>>> alarm for a couple years, I found out it was going off in the middle of
>>> the day sometimes, maybe for years, but no one had told me. No
>>> monitoring, just a siren. I thought it was the slamming of the brass
>>> doors on the mail slot, but I coudln't duplicate it. Eventually I
>>> tried
>>> the doorbell, and it would set off the glass/wood breakage detector and
>>> the alarm.
>>>
>>> I put a resistor in the wire to the hall doorbell to make it softer
>>> (but
>>> left the one in the basement alone.)
>>

>> I don't know why they don't ring the bell. I have a Ring doorbell that
>> alerts me when someone comes up the walk but it has missed.
>>
>> The Ring doorbell can be handy. Last week a package needing signature
>> came a day early and I was at the doctor's office. He rang the bell
>> and I was able to see him and talk to him. Gave him my DOB and he
>> signed for me and left it.
>>

> I wonder why Amazon or any online seller would know your DOB.

Some ask for it at signup.

Never made much sense to me, but some do that. Basically
so in theory you can confirm who you are on delivery.

>> With Amazon I have delivery into the garage so nothing left out.

Re: OT another reason Amazon is a success

<kmJzL.55419$cKvc.37797@fx42.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=37208&group=alt.home.repair#37208

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed Pawlowski)
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 23:44:01 -0500
 by: Ed Pawlowski - Tue, 24 Jan 2023 04:44 UTC

On 1/23/2023 11:27 PM, Mighty✅ Wannabe✅ wrote:
> Ed Pawlowski wrote on 1/23/2023 11:06 PM:
>> On 1/23/2023 10:29 PM, micky wrote:
>>

>>> They used to ring the doorbell.   I'm sure because after I had a burglar
>>> alarm for a couple years, I found out it was going off in the middle of
>>> the day sometimes, maybe for years, but no one had told me. No
>>> monitoring, just a siren.  I thought it was the slamming of the brass
>>> doors on the mail slot, but I coudln't duplicate it.  Eventually I tried
>>> the doorbell, and it would set off the glass/wood breakage detector and
>>> the alarm.
>>>
>>> I put a resistor in the wire to the hall doorbell to make it softer (but
>>> left the one in the basement alone.)
>>

>> I don't know why they don't ring the bell.  I have a Ring doorbell
>> that alerts me when someone comes up the walk but it has missed.
>>
>> The Ring doorbell can be handy.  Last week a package needing signature
>> came a day early and I was at the doctor's office.  He rang the bell
>> and I was able to see him and talk to him.  Gave him my DOB and he
>> signed for me and left it.
>>

> I wonder why Amazon or any online seller would know your DOB.
>

>> With Amazon I have delivery into the garage so nothing left out.

They needed an adult signature for wine. I could have told him anything.

Re: OT another reason Amazon is a success

<pv0vshhns5pngo0tu6vm38ed64jq727nqb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=37222&group=alt.home.repair#37222

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 02:10:01 -0500
 by: micky - Tue, 24 Jan 2023 07:10 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 23 Jan 2023 23:04:22 -0500, Mighty? Wannabe?
<@.> wrote:

>micky wrote on 1/23/2023 10:29 PM:
>> In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 23 Jan 2023 13:04:50 -0600, Mark Lloyd
>> <not.email@all.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> On 1/22/23 20:35, Mighty? Wannabe? wrote:
>>>
>>> [snip]

>>> I agree that it needs the punctuation (something to separate 'early' and
>>> 'on Monday' to make it obvious it doesn't mean 'early on Monday', which
>>> is morning). The message body makes it clear.
>>>
>>> However, I do notice that these things are never more specific than the
>>> day. I know that they don't mean 'early on Monday'.
>> Maybe I'm wrong but I thought there was someone out there, some delivery
>> company, that did get more specific,
>>
>> And Amazon itself, on the tracking page, a couple hours before it was
>> delivered narrowed the delivery window to 1:30 to 3:30. They didnt'
>> send an email about that.
>>
>> But the biggest factor is that I'm very literal, when I read and when I
>> listen, and hopefully, when I write and talk.
>>
>>> BTW, I am expecting a package today, and am about to go out to check
>>> (the mail carrier never rings the doorbell).
>> They used to ring the doorbell. I'm sure because after I had a burglar
>> alarm for a couple years, I found out it was going off in the middle of
>> the day sometimes, maybe for years, but no one had told me. No
>> monitoring, just a siren. I thought it was the slamming of the brass
>> doors on the mail slot, but I coudln't duplicate it. Eventually I tried
>> the doorbell, and it would set off the glass/wood breakage detector and
>> the alarm.
>>
>> I put a resistor in the wire to the hall doorbell to make it softer (but
>> left the one in the basement alone.)
>

>You should be able to afford a doorbell camera.
>
>https://www.amazon.com/s?k=doorbell+camera

In place of the wood breakage sensor? I don't think so. Tnx.

Re: OT another reason Amazon is a success

<641vsh1u4rlgr1i2ntc7q56l3imggab61t@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=37223&group=alt.home.repair#37223

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 02:13:52 -0500
 by: micky - Tue, 24 Jan 2023 07:13 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 23 Jan 2023 23:06:06 -0500, Ed Pawlowski
<esp@snet.xxx> wrote:

>> They used to ring the doorbell.
>
>I don't know why they don't ring the bell. I have a Ring doorbell that
>alerts me when someone comes up the walk but it has missed.
>
>The Ring doorbell can be handy. Last week a package needing signature
>came a day early and I was at the doctor's office. He rang the bell and
>I was able to see him and talk to him. Gave him my DOB and he signed
>for me and left it.

That's pretty good. I have "NO signature required" in my shipping
adress for any company that ships. I don't know how many times they
would have asked for a signature, but the mailman once thanked me for
it. .

If it's expensive, I take it out. Like a TV one time.

>With Amazon I have delivery into the garage so nothing left out.

Good idea. Must build a garage first. .

Re: OT another reason Amazon is a success

<n_NzL.2513373$9f26.1988471@fx09.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=37231&group=alt.home.repair#37231

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: ...@. (Mighty✅ Wannabe✅)
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 04:59:45 -0500
 by: Mighty✅ Wannabe✅ - Tue, 24 Jan 2023 09:59 UTC

micky wrote on 1/24/2023 2:10 AM:
> In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 23 Jan 2023 23:04:22 -0500, Mighty? Wannabe?
> <@.> wrote:
>
>> micky wrote on 1/23/2023 10:29 PM:

>>> Maybe I'm wrong but I thought there was someone out there, some delivery
>>> company, that did get more specific,
>>>
>>> And Amazon itself, on the tracking page, a couple hours before it was
>>> delivered narrowed the delivery window to 1:30 to 3:30. They didnt'
>>> send an email about that.
>>>
>>> But the biggest factor is that I'm very literal, when I read and when I
>>> listen, and hopefully, when I write and talk.

>>> They used to ring the doorbell. I'm sure because after I had a burglar
>>> alarm for a couple years, I found out it was going off in the middle of
>>> the day sometimes, maybe for years, but no one had told me. No
>>> monitoring, just a siren. I thought it was the slamming of the brass
>>> doors on the mail slot, but I coudln't duplicate it. Eventually I tried
>>> the doorbell, and it would set off the glass/wood breakage detector and
>>> the alarm.
>>>
>>> I put a resistor in the wire to the hall doorbell to make it softer (but
>>> left the one in the basement alone.)
>>
>> You should be able to afford a doorbell camera.
>>
>> https://www.amazon.com/s?k=doorbell+camera
>>
> In place of the wood breakage sensor? I don't think so. Tnx.

No, on top of everything you already have, so you know who came near
your door. Doorbell camera records videos.

Re: OT another reason Amazon is a success

<5m70th9p5pl4hq6dj1hphvgla2v75ir6ev@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=37258&group=alt.home.repair#37258

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
References: <tr6kshtmg209mdlh0g8qp16qqv7tbmkic0@4ax.com> <8e3psh1dutbbtgssl789s8flrvg8uotme9@4ax.com> <qj9rsh11hbjk7pvmcigfq5mprii9d78scm@4ax.com> <tZjzL.1828176$Eeb3.710586@fx05.ams1> <ksnrshllt74co2ovmeltbkj7a2trag58jc@4ax.com> <SnmzL.2495543$9f26.1051775@fx09.ams1> <mTAzL.121325$5CY7.36299@fx46.iad> <eljushdqka14d8csf2n2s2sq8bpk76ukhl@4ax.com> <cNIzL.2980755$%fx6.1166425@fx14.ams1> <pv0vshhns5pngo0tu6vm38ed64jq727nqb@4ax.com> <n_NzL.2513373$9f26.1988471@fx09.ams1>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 13:27:35 -0500
 by: micky - Tue, 24 Jan 2023 18:27 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 24 Jan 2023 04:59:45 -0500, Mighty? Wannabe?
<@.> wrote:

>micky wrote on 1/24/2023 2:10 AM:
>> In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 23 Jan 2023 23:04:22 -0500, Mighty? Wannabe?
>> <@.> wrote:

>>> You should be able to afford a doorbell camera.
>>>
>>> https://www.amazon.com/s?k=doorbell+camera
>>>
>> In place of the wood breakage sensor? I don't think so. Tnx.
>>

>No, on top of everything you already have, so you know who came near
>your door. Doorbell camera records videos.

Until I have some trouble, I'm not going to worry about that.

Most of these videos record pictures but that doesn't catch the guy or
get back what was stolen. Normal people let their faces show, but
malevolent ones hide their faces.

In 39 years I've had 4 incidents.

The first summer, someone kicked my door in between 6 and 7:30 on a
Sunday evening. He didn't take the new car radio still in the box on
the basement workbench, the burglar alarm still in pieces on the bedroom
floor, or the cookies on the kitchen table, or anything else. The cop
said, "He must have been here a long time", because the bedroom was such
a mess, but I think he was being sarcsstic. I think the thief was
scared away by the dog next door, the one I hated because his barking
kept me awake at 11 and woke me up at 6:45. But I think he did save
me. And the owners got rid of him a few months later, when they had a
baby.
I'd wired the switches already and I took off work and finished
putting the alarm in the next day.

5 or 10 years later, someone stole two gas lawnmowers from the back
yard. I had spent 6 weeks trying to make one good engine out of those
two engines, and couldn't. They did me a favor! And never came back,
nor did anyone for 20 years.

10 years ago, I had a bicycle I got out of the stream. I was going to
make it my outdoor bike, that was always outdoors, in front of the
house, to get me to ride more often. But it wasn't fixed yet, rusty
gears, needed new brake and gear cables. It wasn't locked up either. I
found it just outside my fence. I guess the thief saw that he could not
ride it, but what's suprising is that he put the kick stand down and
left the bike standing up.

5 years ago I did lose an not-the-most-recent copy of Word I bought on
Ebay, I think. I guess it was delivered and stolen. Ten dollars iirc.
Bought another but still haven't installed it. I don't rememeber why I
thought LibreOfffice wasn't good enough.

But I've had a lot of things delivered since then.

Re: OT another reason Amazon is a success

<z2XzL.52049$jiuc.31181@fx44.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=37275&group=alt.home.repair#37275

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: not.em...@all.invalid (Mark Lloyd)
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 14:18:39 -0600
 by: Mark Lloyd - Tue, 24 Jan 2023 20:18 UTC

On 1/23/23 22:37, Rod Speed wrote:

[snip]

>> I don't know why they don't ring the bell.
>
> I do, its a lot quicker to just dump the item
> than wait to see if the doorbell gets answered.

They're not waiting for an answer.
That doesn't mean they can't ring the bell.

[snip]

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"I know one man who was impotent who gave AIDS to his wife and the only
thing they did was kiss." [Pat Robertson]

Re: OT another reason Amazon is a success

<tqphd7$9tej$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=37279&group=alt.home.repair#37279

From: bobnos...@gmail.com (Bob F)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 13:08:55 -0800
 by: Bob F - Tue, 24 Jan 2023 21:08 UTC

On 1/24/2023 12:18 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
> On 1/23/23 22:37, Rod Speed wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>>> I don't know why they don't ring the bell.
>>
>> I do, its a lot quicker to just dump the item
>> than wait to see if the doorbell gets answered.
>
> They're not waiting for an answer.
> That doesn't mean they can't ring the bell.

I have thought about putting up a small sign saying "please ring the
bell when delivering packages".

Has anyone here done than and found it effective?

Re: OT another reason Amazon is a success

<op.1zaoiciubyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=37281&group=alt.home.repair#37281

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2023 08:26:26 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Tue, 24 Jan 2023 21:26 UTC

On Wed, 25 Jan 2023 08:08:55 +1100, Bob F <bobnospam@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1/24/2023 12:18 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
>> On 1/23/23 22:37, Rod Speed wrote:
>> [snip]

>>> I do, its a lot quicker to just dump the item
>>> than wait to see if the doorbell gets answered.
>> They're not waiting for an answer.
>> That doesn't mean they can't ring the bell.
>
> I have thought about putting up a small sign saying "please ring the
> bell when delivering packages".
>
> Has anyone here done than and found it effective?

Some in uk.d-i-y have and it made no difference.

The delivery monkeys don't appear to even bother to read the sign,
just dump and run.

Plenty don't even bother to get close enough to read the sign,
just toss the item at the door.

interests / alt.home.repair / Re: OT another reason Amazon is a success