What, after all, is a halo? It's only one more thing to keep clean. -- Christopher Fry

interests / alt.law-enforcement / Re: Delusional population projections lead us sleepwalking into catastrophe

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Delusional population projections lead us sleepwalking intoa425couple
`- Re: Delusional population projections lead us sleepwalking intoa425couple

1
Re: Delusional population projections lead us sleepwalking into catastrophe

<vsGMM.19719$CVBc.11000@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3632&group=alt.law-enforcement#3632

Subject: Re: Delusional population projections lead us sleepwalking into
catastrophe
Newsgroups: sci.military.naval,or.politics,seattle.politics,ca.politics,alt.economics,alt.law-enforcement
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 09:23:53 -0700
 by: a425couple - Thu, 14 Sep 2023 16:23 UTC

On 9/13/23 15:01, David P wrote:
> [...]
>
> Letting nature do the culling for us is not in anyone’s preferred playbook. Nobel Laureate Henry Kendall once said, “If we don’t halt population growth with justice and compassion, it will be done for us by nature, brutally and without pity—and will leave a ravaged world.”
>
> If we go down in wars, famines and environmental disasters, we will take a great deal of biodiversity with us. Hungry people eat the roots of plants, the bark of trees, and anything that crawls, digs, swims or flies, if they can lay their hands on them. Protected areas become a meaningless concept. Hunger soon gives way to violence and failed states.
>
> What would it take to avoid these calamities? The only answer is a much faster fall in birth rates in all high-fertility countries than is happening now. Such fast transitions have happened in the past, but only when contraception and small families were strongly promoted through active family planning programs.
>
> It is an extraordinary tragedy that the global community shuns this opportunity, on the grounds that we are defending the poor from abominations like China’s one-child policy. We should instead be championing the great family planning successes such as in Thailand, Tunisia, Costa Rica, South Korea and Iran. Instead of emulating these successes, the high-fertility countries in Africa and elsewhere are being served an insipid and ineffectual reproductive health agenda, in denial of the harms wrought by population growth. It is supposedly centring women’s rights but effectively impedes women’s emancipation through lack of funding and political will for the services they need to avoid unwanted pregnancies, and through lack of a clear motive to challenge the patriarchal cultures that limit women’s roles to motherhood.
>
> Population projections, like all complex modelling exercises, are rarely questioned because their details are difficult for the average person to fathom. However, models are only as good as their assumptions and data. The current crop of global population projections embed the myth that rapid fertility decline can be achieved through indirect socioeconomic drivers, together with the myth that direct promotion of contraception and small families is ineffective and incompatible with human rights.
>
> Lulled by these fantasies, plans for achieving sustainable futures exclude population measures. We need a more integrated approach across the environmental and social justice agenda, which acknowledges the essential role of rapid population stabilisation in climate change mitigation, biodiversity protection, poverty reduction, food security and world peace. Unless we take a more proactive approach to ending population growth very soon, we will miss our last chance to avoid a hungry, hothouse world.

Well, David P., you have certainly posted a Point of View.

And that PoV concerns an important area of concern for much of
the world.

I would think that you probably posted it to 'sci.military.naval'
because you think overpopulation problems might be a contributing
cause on a major naval war. OK.

But this topic is very much an economic and political issue also.

Re: Delusional population projections lead us sleepwalking into catastrophe

<UNmNM.68046$i1yc.25182@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3673&group=alt.law-enforcement#3673

catastrophe
Newsgroups: sci.military.naval,or.politics,seattle.politics,ca.politics,alt.economics,alt.law-enforcement
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2023 11:50:27 -0700
 by: a425couple - Sat, 16 Sep 2023 18:50 UTC

--------------snip------------

https://overpopulation-project.com/delusional-population-projections-lead-us-sleepwalking-into-catastrophe/

> Well, David P., you have certainly posted a Point of View.
>
> And that PoV concerns an important area of concern for much of
> the world.
>
> I would think that you probably posted it to 'sci.military.naval'
> because you think overpopulation problems might be a contributing
> cause on a major naval war. OK.
>
> But this topic is very much an economic and political issue also.

Anyway David P., this disaster by human overpopulation is
indeed a concern. It is also a common Science Fiction topic.

I suggest you go to a library and check out this book.
(or buy it and get it delivered to you door for just over $6.00 US)
It is a collection of sci-fi short stories.
I think you might find the first story,
Twilight Falls, - A Joe Ledger Rogue Team International Adventure
by Jonathan Maberry
a very interesting read.

https://www.amazon.com/Fantastic-Hope-Laurell-K-Hamilton/dp/0593099206

The book is:
Fantastic Hope Paperback – April 7, 2020
by Laurell K. Hamilton (Author, Editor), Patricia Briggs (Author),
A collection of sixteen sci-fi and fantasy stories edited by #1 New York
Times bestselling author Laurell K. Hamilton and author William
McCaskey.William McCaskey (Editor)

Twilight Falls
A Joe Ledger Rogue Team International Adventure
Jonathan Maberry

"(A threat/warning) was directed at the government of India and was
filled with political and quasi-religious histrionics. All about how the
current world is corrupt and that overpopulation is proof of a
deliberate desire to pollute and destroy the world. The viewpoint of the
group amounts to the belief that humanity has become a kind of thinking
virus on the skin of the living earth. What was once a symbiotic
relationship, back when humanity could be counted in the tens of
thousands, has been thrown out of balance by industrialism and
overpopulation. The group consider themselves to be the voice of reason.

Their "reasonable" suggestion, sent via email to the heads of state of
the fifty most populous countries, was for the leaders to initiate a
lottery to pick ninety percent of their populations and systematically
euthanize them. Failure to do so would result in the group launching a
program of bioweapon releases. How they planned to do that, and where
they would get these bioweapons, was something we were working on
figuring out.

The limited releases were incentives. Kicks in the ass.

That's why everyone with a gun was out hunting these freaks.

All we had for the group was a name-Silentium. Latin for "silence,"
which didn't tell us much. However, from the rhetoric in their messages
it was pretty clear they were some kind of millenarian cult. Their rants
were all about how mankind was corrupt and how a new age was going to
dawn after the manufactured cleansing program. There were going to be
seven years of violence, struggle, and death before the population was
whittled down to a number in harmony with the earth.

Funny how these groups present a model of a societal golden ideal that
is any rational person's concept of a dystopia.