Newsgroups: alt.english.usage
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 17:14:25 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: This is America: Speak, American
From: jeffreyd...@gmail.com (Jeffrey Rubard)
 by: Jeffrey Rubard - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 01:14 UTC

On Saturday, September 12, 2009 at 12:52:13 AM UTC-7, pimpom wrote:
> Hatunen wrote:
> > On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 11:31:00 -0700 (PDT), Jeff Rubard
> > <jeffr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Though one Jeffrey Rubard is not a completely unknown quantity in the
> >> world of English letters, I think I must dust off one of my "old-
> >> timey" routines for explanation of certain features of discourse in
> >> The Republic of the United States of America. Though the nation was
> >> founded by Britons for the goal of preservation of desirable features
> >> of the British legal and cultural heritage, and against the "national
> >> traditions" of other countries aiming to be imperial powers in the
> >> Americas, to think that someone entranced by the acronym "WASP" or
> >> their pure bloodline descending from a point in time inaccessible to
> >> yinz must needs control the "proper" way to speak is bad for you and
> >> bad for baby. Really, the American "Establishment" speaks a very
> >> denatured English: the contemporary British *seit und jenseits Union*
> >> know English literary tradition quite well, and have "tradiciounally"
> >> made a point of being intentionally and obviously phony *when it
> >> suits them*: compare with your enlighteners of brain mass and pocket
> >> in the "main line", and see from whence the English Superior truly
> >> doth derive.
> >>
> >> However, I cannot simply say "Do" to incorporating every element of
> >> non-Western, non-fascist foreign language into American English:
> >> there are traditions of clarity and decency to uphold, and excellent
> >> literary models *when you can find them* from backgrounds diverse,
> >> but really what you need to understand is speaking English any kind
> >> is Not About You, and American English is *Really Not About You*:
> >> "games people play" with words are often flamingly illegal, and when
> >> things are "unpleasant to the ear" various consequences may ensue
> >> for the subject of the utterance. Get it through your head: nobody
> >> is owed sophistical language-games concerning that "imperfect
> >> instrument" which is your grasp of the English tongue, and
> >> displeasure must be at any cost but murder which advertises... (Let
> >> us now praise people who always and forever understood this, and
> >> created the American canon worth something other than shooting.)
> >
> > Huh? Can someone translate this for me?
> I stopped reading half-way through.

2022 Update: That's pretty special.

Re: This is America: Speak, American

<4d9a457c-6a2c-444b-b554-fb016cbbb2adn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3672&group=alt.english.usage#3672

Newsgroups: alt.english.usage
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 01:16:06 -0800 (PST)
From: jeffreyd...@gmail.com (Jeffrey Rubard)
 by: Jeffrey Rubard - Thu, 10 Feb 2022 09:16 UTC

On Tuesday, February 8, 2022 at 5:14:27 PM UTC-8, Jeffrey Rubard wrote:
> On Saturday, September 12, 2009 at 12:52:13 AM UTC-7, pimpom wrote:
> > Hatunen wrote:

> > > Huh? Can someone translate this for me?
> > I stopped reading half-way through.
> 2022 Update: That's pretty special.

....as was my "squib".

interests / alt.english.usage / Re: This is America: Speak, American