Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2022 11:03:37 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: TN: Togni, Togni, Togni
From: dalewill...@gmail.com (dalewilli...@gmail.com)
 by: dalewilli...@gmail.c - Tue, 4 Oct 2022 18:03 UTC

I was privileged to attend a Togni tasting at City Winery last night. 16 wines, with great commentary from Bob who was leading the tasting.
Most of the wines were young, I added + to indicate what I think is potential.

2007 Philip Togni Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon
Rich, deep dark fruits, menthol, long. B+ for now,but will be great. (+++)

2006 Philip Togni Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon
Muted, thinner though not thin, I think there are good bones there, but quiet right now.B (+)

2005 Philip Togni Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon
A little astringent, some tacky tannins, only one where new oak sticks out a bit, needs time. B for now (+)

2004 Philip Togni Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon
Rich, smoky, slightly lifted nose but really a fine wine with a long future.. B+ (++)

2003 Philip Togni Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon
Warm, menthol, fruit slightly roasted but good length. B/B+

2001 Philip Togni Tanbark Hill Cabernet Sauvignon
The only Tanbark (2nd wine), but really in a lovely place (I said perfect restaurant wine). Red and black cherries, cocoa, tobacco leaf. A-/B+

2000 Philip Togni Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon
Green pepper in the house, this is a wine for Chinon lovers, like me. Red fruit, underbrush, and peppers, I probably liked more than group. B+

1999 Philip Togni Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon
Nice silky texture, blackberry and black cherry, cedar, still some firm tannin. B+ (++)

1998 Philip Togni Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon
Cool character, tobacco leaf and herbs, redder fruits, good length B+/B

1997 Philip Togni Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon
I really think this was lightly corked, others disagreed. Besides the cardboard I got muted fruit, which I don’t think is likely for a ‘97. NR

1996 Philip Togni Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon
Long, complex. Black currant with smoke, adobo, and leather, A- (+)

1995 Philip Togni Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon
A bit four square, solid, large framed. . B+ (+?)

1994 Philip Togni Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon
Quite ripe, almost too much for me. Full black plum and cassis, perfumed, big. B+ (++)

1993 Philip Togni Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon
Taut, minerally, the sleeper of the tasting, not as large as some others from decade but svelte and elegant with light eucalyptus notes. In a very good place. A-

1991 Philip Togni Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon
Sweet dark fruit, cedar, tobacco, supercomplex. A/A- (+)

1985 Philip Togni Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon
Sweet ripe fruit, resolved tannins, some cigarbox, nice length, others didn’t like as much as I did. A-/B+

Really a great lineup of complex, ageable wines. It was a real treat (a gift from a friend who mistakenly thought he owed me a favor)

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.