Newsgroups: alt.law-enforcement
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Subject: (here only) my mini rant re: criminal "impunity"
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2023 13:27:13 -0700
 by: a425couple - Wed, 23 Aug 2023 20:27 UTC

On 8/13/23 16:49, Walter Scott wrote:
> For a while now, high-yield smash & grab robberies have been
> growing in number and frequency all over the U.S. but particularly in
> large cities. It appears as though organized groups or organized crime
> -- maybe even Mafia or Mafia-like organizations -- could be setting
> some of these robberies up. This is a trend, which includes an
> assumption these robberies can occur with impunity because the methods
> used to steal merchandise and get away with it are well-plannned and
> executed by groups of perps hitting the same business as a group.
> There may be a trickle-down effect in "Crash & Grab" roberies where
> one or two perps steal a car then use it to "crash" into a storefront
> followed by stealing whatever can be taken, including ATMs. Since, for
> the former, robbers swoop in from another part of the U.S. and stolen
> goods are sold/fenced in areas of the U.S. where they were not stolen,
> this is difficult crime to prosecute. The perps are apparently
> well-trained in techniques for disguising identity, avoiding capture
> by police and quickly leaving the scene, including the city, without a
> trace.
>
> How do we deal with this sort of crime? How does the local
> criminal justice system and local businesses disincentivize this kind
> of crime?

https://nypost.com/2023/08/13/mob-of-thieves-steals-up-to-100000-in-merchandise-during-daylight-raid-at-los-angeles-nordstrom/

Dear Walt,

Your word "impunity" is correct!!

IMHO, or more accurately, in my firm and founded opinion, Societies
powers, the media and the judges do not much support stopping criminals.
They are much more concerned with finding fault with police, jailers,
or anyone employed with 'security', or even well meaning bystanders who
take any action.

#1 how about the guy 'acting out' and doing assaults on the east coast
subway? Criminally charging the 'good guy bystander who tried to hold
him for the police is very harmful of citizens trying to do the right thing.

#2 how about the shooting death of 19-year-old Damarius Butts in 2017.
He and his sister rob a store. They are chased by police, and he shoots
3 police officers (one in the face!!). Cops to defend themselves "Don't
make me shoot you!" shoot him. Cops finally heal, but it takes 5 years
for the inquest against them to finally be finished. FIVE YEARS of
being in legal limbo and worried about what our "criminal justice
system" will finally decide! Finally, they are legally cleared as being
proper. But civic leaders still unhappy. So, 6 years later, more great
outrage from all, that a police officer did not like the homemade fake
tombstone protesting the poor young martyr's death at police hands,
being left on the sidewalk in front of their workplace, and took it
inside and put it on a shelf. OHHH, the horror. (Yes, the nasty
violent punk is dead, and he brought it on himself!)

"Jul 12, 2023 — The mother of a Seattle liquor store robber who was shot
and killed by cops has demanded an apology after a mock tomb stone for
her son was ..." Well, it is for sure that no 'cop' made that tomb stone!!

#3 How about

https://www.king5.com/article/news/local/sheriff-frustrated-by-release-without-bail-car-chase-suspect/281-8ea2c9a9-9e0e-4bfd-9cf0-f3105445d2f6

Police Pursuits are dangerous. Depending on the study, between 1% to 3%
of all chases end in a fatality. Oftentimes the suspect, sometimes a
totally innocent nearby citizen, and sometimes it is a police fatality.
So you want to only do it when the officer is convinced the suspects are
a real danger. Here is one that certainly presented as a 'danger'.
Lucky the car bounced off a hillside instead of a tree. The cop car
gets damaged. Suspect still runs. Finally caught. AND THEN RELEASED!!!!!

#4 I do not like Trump and have never voted for him. But consider, 3
years ago we had a big riot in Seattle. 3 Police cars burned. How many
suspects were ever charged? Very few. OK 2 years ago a big riot in
Washington DC. What is it now? Huge investigation and about 480 people
arrested and charged and most given considerable jail time.

#5 Lots of things could be done about the big organized smash and
grabs, but for what purpose? Certainly not worth grabbing as suspect
and risk getting yourself beaten and injured.